Goff Signing

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
mild
Legend
Legend

Re: Goff Signing

Postby mild » Wed May 15, 2024 5:01 am

Jigga94 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 4:12 am However, Goff just received more annually than Lamar, Hurts and a few others who recently signed. I don't see Goff as anywhere close to them, and I've considered myself a Goff truther lol
Fair points, they absolutely built the base of this team with high picks and shrewd trades (ie Goff). BTW I'd happily bet a beer that the corner they drafted is going to be good. 8-)

Goff is a Top 5 QB by offensive EPA when he's kept clean in the pocket. He's a machine back there when it's clean.

He famously drops to 31st when facing pressure. But the Lions have figured out how to maximise that thus far, and they have the personnel to dictate the terms with their OL and run game.

Perhaps some new NFC teams will rise this year (ARI? ATL? ... maybe even... CHI?) but with DAL taking a step backward it really is just PHI, SF, GB, and DET as the serious NFC contenders. I think they're going to be picking pretty high the next couple years, they've figured out a winning mix.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Wed May 15, 2024 6:15 am

Jigga94 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 4:12 am
However, Goff just received more annually than Lamar, Hurts and a few others who recently signed. I don't see Goff as anywhere close to them, and I've considered myself a Goff truther lol
It is obvious Lamar and Hurts are more exciting to watch but it is interesting that Goff has the same number of playoff wins as those two combined.

Goff 4-4
Lamar 2-4
Hurts 2-3

The market is simply great for next up QB's that win a lot of games and Goff is obviously a very good QB on a stage that isn't too big for him especially in the playoffs

No telling where the market will top out. The next big one may be Dak who is 2-5 in the playoffs which is in the Lamar/Hurts window of success. Dallas looks to be in a Prove it mindset with him before they take a bite of that apple again. That said, its a given someone will pay big for him regardless if it comes to that.

Perception is a funny thing but in this case the Lion's needed to extend Goff while the talent is there to compete. They did the right thing and the Lions seem to love him. Winning matters.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Kurt G.O.A.T.
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kurt G.O.A.T. » Wed May 15, 2024 6:27 am

Ice wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 6:15 am
Jigga94 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 4:12 am
However, Goff just received more annually than Lamar, Hurts and a few others who recently signed. I don't see Goff as anywhere close to them, and I've considered myself a Goff truther lol
It is obvious Lamar and Hurts are more exciting to watch but it is interesting that Goff has the same number of playoff wins as those two combined.

Goff 4-4
Lamar 2-4
Hurts 2-3

The market is simply great for next up QB's that win a lot of games and Goff is obviously a very good QB on a stage that isn't too big for him especially in the playoffs

No telling where the market will top out. The next big one may be Dak who is 2-5 in the playoffs which is in the Lamar/Hurts window of success. Dallas looks to be in a Prove it mindset with him before they take a bite of that apple again. That said, its a given someone will pay big for him regardless if it comes to that.

Perception is a funny thing but in this case the Lion's needed to extend Goff while the talent is there to compete. They did the right thing and the Lions seem to love him. Winning matters.
Well, really, Goff should be 5 and 4 in the playoffs. Unless that one drive john wolford took against Seattle before injuring himself counts as him leading the Rams to victory that day. I understand he didn't start that day but just for the point you're trying to make I'll give that game to Goff.

cazzie33
All Pro
All Pro

Postby cazzie33 » Wed May 15, 2024 7:46 am

My worry is that in a cpl years the Lions hands are tied if injuries or performance slipping happen.

Brown is the kind of player that takes a lot of abuse playing so hard. If the offensive line loses Ragnow & Decker does Goff have the same clean pockets to work from? They're going to be drafting later probably and won't have the resources to sign equal value replacements.

At $40 mil you still have an extra $10 mil to use jn the FA market. That kind of money for Goff was reasonable. You can't keep over paying for your guys without eventually paying for it down the road.

I don't know if Goff was demanding that number or Lions brass offered it up. Brady took less than he could've got to keep the Patriots in a position to keep other guys. Don't know if Goff has that mentality or is that entrenched in the Detroit/ Michigan scene. His teammates seem to have his back but he did an interview this off-season from his California beach house where he complained about the culture basically of Detroit media & fan base kinda expecting when they lost 2 out of 3 games that they were going to be the same old Lions. This was AFTER they had the CRAZY atmosphere at their playoffs home games. I have no sources but to me that was weird to bring up in the interview. Also a lack of awareness for what has been the Detroit Lions fan base experience over many decades.

Makes me think he wasn't ever going to take less than what he could get. Not that he's or anyone else is obligated to . But that definitely is an overpay but whether it was because his camp had some leverage or the front office just wanted to show him the support either way that is going to eat up a sizable amount of Cap space

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Wed May 15, 2024 8:05 am

Overpay is just a word. The winning QB's that are still in their prime will get top of the market or they won't sign. The Lions know more than anyone what its like to be the doormat and now that they finally have a legit team within a winning window they don't plan on going back if they can help it.

Goff checks all the boxes. 29 yrs old, 66-50-1 record coming off a 12-5 season and a solid playoff record.

He received market value so really hard to call it an overpay. Just the cost of doing business when a team is in the upper echelon or trying hard to get or stay there.

Shcritters
MVP
MVP

Postby Shcritters » Wed May 15, 2024 8:16 am

To be clear, Goff is ELITE (all caps). Just only half the time - when he's at home. When he's on the road he's below average. Those two things average out to be above average (that's a lot of average in one sentence). Last two years:

Home - 67.8%, 4712 yds, 42 TDs, 9 INT, 108.7 rating
Away - 64.5%, 4301 yds, 17 TDs, 10 INT, 88.5 rating

I have no problem with it - especially depending on how it is structured (probably guarantee heavy up-front and less so on the back-end). This also allows the Lions to re-negotiate with him later for another potential contract. Both sides win on that one.
Gopher Two
PPR SF, WR & TE Premium (WR 1.2 PPR , TE 1.5 PPR), 10 total starters, 1 QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Mahomes, Prescott, Mayfield
RB: Hall, Pacheco, Jacobs, Connor, Chubb, Mattison
WR: Tyreek, AJ Brown, Flowers, CSutton, JJeudy, Slayton, Iosivas
TE: McBride, DSchultz, Musgrave, Kraft, MGesicki
2024: 1.02, 2.02
2022 and 2023 League Champ

SafeLeague #1 (12 team, SF, 2.0 PPR TE Prem). 10 total starters 1 QB, 1SF (QB/TE/RB/WR), 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Caleb, Purdy, Levis, Penix
RB: Pacheco, Estime, Vaughn
WR: Nabers, Coleman, Downs, EMoore, Jeudy, Burton, MMims, MWilson
TE: Hock, Kincaid, Pitts, Sinnott, Mayer
2025: 3 1sts, 2 2nds, 2 3rds, 2 4ths

SafeLeague #2
QB: Caleb, Richardson, Purdy, JJMcCarthy
RB: literal ZERO RB (for now)
WR: Nabers, Worthy, McConkey, Brian Thomas Jr, Pearsall, Mims, Burton, Mingo, Toney, Skyy, Iosivas
TE: LaPorta, Kincaid, McBride, Bowers, Mayer, Musgrave, Schoonmaker
2025: 3 1sts, 2 2nds

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Wed May 15, 2024 9:04 am

Obviously the Lions are going to pay Goff. They're contenders, what else could they even do? It would be ridiculous to try and start over at QB after making the NFCCG.

He's not elite, but he makes them a damn good football team and is playing at a really high level. No point in really even discussing this to me.

Bronco Billy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Wed May 15, 2024 10:39 am

Ice wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 8:05 am Overpay is just a word. The winning QB's that are still in their prime will get top of the market or they won't sign. The Lions know more than anyone what its like to be the doormat and now that they finally have a legit team within a winning window they don't plan on going back if they can help it.

Goff checks all the boxes. 29 yrs old, 66-50-1 record coming off a 12-5 season and a solid playoff record.

He received market value so really hard to call it an overpay. Just the cost of doing business when a team is in the upper echelon or trying hard to get or stay there.
All the top QBs are overpaid. Brady’s maximum average salary in any of the contracts he signed was $25M. I think he checked a few more boxes than Goff and others. These guys are chewing up way too much of their team’s salary cap space and it negatively affects the rest of the team, but that’s both on them and on the owners.

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Wed May 15, 2024 11:44 am

Jigga94 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 6:09 am
Bronco Billy wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 4:58 am Just to quantify for the thread, the reported terms:
The Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million contract extension that includes $170 million guaranteed
That’s elite money for a QB that I’m not sure anyone would call elite. But he looks like the right guy to fit in this offense and that’s where the QB market sits right now, so DET chose to do what they had to given the crest they’re riding.
Agreed. The price came across to me as an overpay. However, I've always liked Goff and consider him to be above average as a QB. Maybe not carry the team on his back like Mahomes, but he's not going out there and hurting the team either. I really like what DET is doing, as long as they continue to hit on draft picks. Unfortunately, those will be less valuable as they continue to win.

You have to love it for fantasy though. They just locked in this same offense for 3+ years practically
As a Goff owner in a new orphan Superflex, I agree.
D3:
QB—Allen, Pickett RB—Kamara, Jacobs, ZWhite, Edwards, Ford, Warren WR—Lamb, Olave, DJM, Puka, Tillman, Marshall, Jefferson, Robinson, Tucker TE—Ferguson, Schoon, Likely, Smith, Washington, Kraft PK—Prater DEF—BAL

D4:
QB—TLaw, JimmyG, Tannehill, AOC, Hall RB—Bijan, Kamara, Conner, BENSON (R), Gainwell, Gainwell, Foreman, ZMoss, Chandler, McLaughlin WR—Jefferson, Hill, Adams, Allen, POLK (R), CORLEY (R), COWING (R), Tillman, Woods TE—Kelce, Kmet, TJOHNSON (R), Conklin PK—Butker DEF—PIT

Superflex 1:
QB—Mahomes, Rodgers, Mayfield, RATTLER (R) RB—Bijan, Kamara, Allgeier, Mostert, BRob, ESTIME (R) WR—Chase, DJM, Devonta, MBrown, Lockett, Myers, COWING (R), MWASHINGTON (R) TE—Kmet, Kraft, SANDERS (R), Conklin, Hurst PK—Elliott DEF—PHI

Superflex 2:
QB: MAYE (R), Goff, Cousins, PENIX (R), Wentz, White; RB: Bijan, BRob, ZWhite, Allgeier, McLaughlin WR: HARRISON (R), DJM, Higgins, JSN, BTHOMAS (R), Downs, RMoore, Atwell, SMoore, DPJ, Devante TE: Ferguson, Kraft, Trautman, Tremble

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Wed May 15, 2024 5:37 pm

Bronco Billy wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 10:39 am All the top QBs are overpaid. Brady’s maximum average salary in any of the contracts he signed was $25M. I think he checked a few more boxes than Goff and others. These guys are chewing up way too much of their team’s salary cap space and it negatively affects the rest of the team, but that’s both on them and on the owners.
Not saying what anyone "should" do with regard to their salaries. Collectively, professional athletes are the best at what they do after all and their compensation reflects that. However, as just a "Joe average" guy, I often find myself wondering, "How much money do you really need after all?"

If you netted $25 million, don't you think you could set yourself up for a pretty fantastic lifestyle? Have money and investments to leave to your family to create generational wealth? How about $50 million, or more?

In a salary cap sport, if you hand out too many big money contracts at some point it's going to come back to bite you. There's really no way around it. You can delay the pain, kick it down the road, but at some point that bill comes due. Brady is always the example, probably because he's the one guy we can all point to who kept his salary down to increase the competitiveness of the organization.

Goff's deal was obviously about money. But I kind of wonder if a little bit of it was about respect. McVay was done with him as his starter, and I don't remember a lot of excitement around his arrival in Detroit at the time. I'm sure Goff was well aware of the chatter around him being shipped out of LA. Signing a big contract affords him a little, "How do you like me now?" Just spitballing...
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Wed May 15, 2024 5:49 pm

Goff got an awfully big contract for a guy that doesn't try and "a guy that's just happy not to get sacked"

Quoting years past forum conversation on Goff...and apparently according to coach and fans (and joique bell!). Joique Bell!! Joique freaking Bell. Not sure why anyone cares what he thinks, but at one time, his thoughts were relevant, while being completely irrelevant at the same time.

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Wed May 15, 2024 6:22 pm

Speaking of Joique Bell, I love his post-game interview:

https://youtu.be/pwqvM7Yga4I?si=rBz5PhT_FYlBDJVT

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Thu May 16, 2024 3:14 am

Shoreline Steamers wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 5:37 pm
Bronco Billy wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 10:39 am All the top QBs are overpaid. Brady’s maximum average salary in any of the contracts he signed was $25M. I think he checked a few more boxes than Goff and others. These guys are chewing up way too much of their team’s salary cap space and it negatively affects the rest of the team, but that’s both on them and on the owners.
Not saying what anyone "should" do with regard to their salaries. Collectively, professional athletes are the best at what they do after all and their compensation reflects that. However, as just a "Joe average" guy, I often find myself wondering, "How much money do you really need after all?"

If you netted $25 million, don't you think you could set yourself up for a pretty fantastic lifestyle? Have money and investments to leave to your family to create generational wealth? How about $50 million, or more?

In a salary cap sport, if you hand out too many big money contracts at some point it's going to come back to bite you. There's really no way around it. You can delay the pain, kick it down the road, but at some point that bill comes due. Brady is always the example, probably because he's the one guy we can all point to who kept his salary down to increase the competitiveness of the organization.

Goff's deal was obviously about money. But I kind of wonder if a little bit of it was about respect. McVay was done with him as his starter, and I don't remember a lot of excitement around his arrival in Detroit at the time. I'm sure Goff was well aware of the chatter around him being shipped out of LA. Signing a big contract affords him a little, "How do you like me now?" Just spitballing...
Just this time last year, a 3rd round 25 yr old rookie QB, who was coming off a recent ACL tear, was going to take Goffs job this year according to some. And that was after 2 good seasons in DET

Bronco Billy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Thu May 16, 2024 4:47 am

If a QB can average $25M a year from ages 28-35 (2nd contract and beyond) and keep half of that after taxes, agency fees and living expenses, when you add in a solid rookie contract you’re looking at a minimum $105M clear by the end of a career. That’s generational wealth and ought to be more than enough I’d think.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu May 16, 2024 8:05 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 4:47 am
If a QB can average $25M a year from ages 28-35 (2nd contract and beyond) and keep half of that after taxes, agency fees and living expenses, when you add in a solid rookie contract you’re looking at a minimum $105M clear by the end of a career. That’s generational wealth and ought to be more than enough I’d think.
If the CBA want's to negotiate some payment per player term system they can but until then the market will dictate QB pricing for winning QB's.

Of course it is enough for most but that isn't how it works. A QB may want to buy a $500 million dollar yacht like Bezos and that measly 105 Million just won't cut it.