Goff Signing

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
cazzie33
All Pro
All Pro

Goff Signing

Postby cazzie33 » Mon May 13, 2024 3:55 pm

:surprised:
Lions have gone on a spending spree... Shortening their window to compete long term. I've mostly been onboard with the front office moves but you can only keep so many players when you've go 4-5 players paid at the highest level for each position.

Goff,Amron , Sewell and Aidan soon not to mention Ragnow will lead to some tough decisions when Laporta ,Gibbs ,Branch etc... hit their rookie contracts expiration.

Maybe they know something we don't about the salary cap going up significantly so they wanted to get ahead of the curve but I see diminishing returns as they hit the final years of these contracts. Talk is Ragnow may be done after this due to injury concerns. St. Brown is a warrior but has been constantly nicked up but playing through it. Goff has been steady but being paid as the 2nd highest QB gives me pause. Sewell is the real deal and worth every penny.

The Lions better hope they stay healthy because it's going to be hard to bring FAs difference makers

TheTroll
Legend
Legend

Re: Goff Signing

Postby TheTroll » Mon May 13, 2024 4:34 pm

Gutsy but for a team that hasn’t won a SB, need to take chances.
Team 1
Dynasty 10 team, 22 roster + 6 Taxi, PPR
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 Flex, 1 TE, K, Def

QB: Love, Goff, Fields
RB: Bijan, Montgomery, Kamara, Ford, K Herbert, Zeke, Mattison
WR: Jefferson, Olave, London, Ridley, Sutton, Shaheed
TE: Kincaid, Kittle, Freiermuth
K: Tucker, Sanders
DEF: CLE

Taxi: Charbs, K Mitchell, Demercado, QJ, D Douglas, W Robinson, Hooker

Picks
2024: 1.03, 3.06, 3.09, 4.09
2025: 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Team 2
Dynasty 10 team, 22 man roster + 6 Taxi, PPR, SF and TEP
1QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, 1 S Flex

QB: Allen, Goff, Watson, Jones
RB: K Williams, B Robinson, Chubb, Ford, Mostert, A Gibson, Dillon, Pierce, Zeke
WR: Olave, T Hill, Addison, D Adams, C Watson, D Johnson, G Davis, OBJ
TE: Kincaid, Kmet, Goedert

Taxi: Mitchell, DTR, Mims, K Miller, Douglas, Vaughn

Picks
2024: 1.08, 3.02, 3.09
2025: 1, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Mon May 13, 2024 6:55 pm

Better to spend on talent and a team that looks capable of winning now, than to save for unknown talent down the road that might not be as good as you have now.

Scared money can't win.

If you're not going all out to win, you're trying to not win.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, CWilliams
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JFord, Corum, JWright
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, Q Johnston, DeDouglas, MCorley
TE: Goedert, Okongwo
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, DLloyd; (DE/DL) Sieler; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, Singletary, AJD, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, VJefferson, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Mon May 13, 2024 6:56 pm

This is why teams overdraft QBs like Nix.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Nix
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, Connor, Benson
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Woods

Kurt G.O.A.T.
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kurt G.O.A.T. » Mon May 13, 2024 9:35 pm

The Lions were paying Goff $25m per year since they acquired him. That was so cheap for a qb. Now they have to pay. It was inevitable.

And you know the nfl. Once you find a qb you can win with you never let them go. Look at what happened to the skins when they got cute with cousins. Sure they were just average but they turned putrid once they let him go.

yinzername
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby yinzername » Mon May 13, 2024 10:03 pm

Lions are peaking. Whatever it is, it’s working. Can’t poke holes until it’s obviously stretched too thin
SF - PPR - 12t - start10
Notable Assets in Rebuild
QB: Mahomes - Caleb Williams - Levis - Rudolph
RB: K Mitchell - J McLaughlin - J Wright - Estime
WR: AJB - Pittman - Odunze - Shaheed - J Burton - R Pearsall - Doubs - E Moore
TE: MAndrews - Bowers - Bellinger - Kraft
‘25: one 1st, two 2nds, three 3rds

2nd year DFF
SF - PPR - 12t - start10
QB: TLaw - Purdy - Goff
RB: Chubb - D Montgomery - D Singletary - J Brooks - K Miller - J Wright - A Mattison - J Hill - W Shipley
WR: CeeDee - Aiyuk - Rice - Godwin - J Reed - J Burton - E Moore
TE: Kittle - Kincaid - Chig

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Tue May 14, 2024 2:15 am

cazzie33 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 3:55 pm :surprised:
Lions have gone on a spending spree... Shortening their window to compete long term. I've mostly been onboard with the front office moves but you can only keep so many players when you've go 4-5 players paid at the highest level for each position.
Kurt G.O.A.T. wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 9:35 pm The Lions were paying Goff $25m per year since they acquired him. That was so cheap for a qb. Now they have to pay. It was inevitable.
yinzername wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 10:03 pm Lions are peaking. Whatever it is, it’s working. Can’t poke holes until it’s obviously stretched too thin
It's interesting that the opinion range is so wide in here on Goff. Clearly he's still a polarising figure to some, but in this offensive ecosystem he is setup well for success with an incredible OL and excellent weapons - they can maximise his talents and elevate him as a QB (and mask some of his deficiencies). I have zero problem with them locking this offense in long-term, especially at the most important position in the sport.

It's worth remembering that when the Lions acquired Goff from the Rams, that contract was seen as a "bad one" then too. Also to slightly fact-check Kurt GOAT - the Lions had cap hits for Goff of 31 million (2022) and 30.9 million (2023) so it's not like they've been running at a discount during these last two competitive Lions seasons.

We know Goff's cap hit for 2024 is 32 million. They're still all in, and to the point of adding FA and more impact players - it would be fair to say that Brad Holmes at GM is currently on one of the all-time heaters for draft picks. We should assume he knows what he's doing here, until he shows us that he doesn't... because so far he's been right about nearly everything.

Kurt G.O.A.T.
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kurt G.O.A.T. » Tue May 14, 2024 3:18 am

That's strange. The Rams would have eaten all the dead cap remaining from Goff's contract when they traded him. The Lions must have changed some of Goff's salary to a signing bonus in his first year with the team. He only had a $10m cap hit the first year.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue May 14, 2024 4:08 am

Detroit has been drafting and developing well, so I don't think they're too concerned about bringing in big free agents. I don't blame them at all. They have a foundation that's hitting stride. Why mess with it? Worry about players hitting free agency when it gets there.

Goff is 29, rarely misses games, and has bounced back in Detroit. Sure, he's not a Top 5 QB, but it's still hard to find QBs as good as him. The alternative is not a path you want to go down.

Bronco Billy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Tue May 14, 2024 4:58 am

Just to quantify for the thread, the reported terms:
The Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million contract extension that includes $170 million guaranteed
That’s elite money for a QB that I’m not sure anyone would call elite. But he looks like the right guy to fit in this offense and that’s where the QB market sits right now, so DET chose to do what they had to given the crest they’re riding.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Tue May 14, 2024 6:09 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 4:58 am Just to quantify for the thread, the reported terms:
The Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million contract extension that includes $170 million guaranteed
That’s elite money for a QB that I’m not sure anyone would call elite. But he looks like the right guy to fit in this offense and that’s where the QB market sits right now, so DET chose to do what they had to given the crest they’re riding.
Agreed. The price came across to me as an overpay. However, I've always liked Goff and consider him to be above average as a QB. Maybe not carry the team on his back like Mahomes, but he's not going out there and hurting the team either. I really like what DET is doing, as long as they continue to hit on draft picks. Unfortunately, those will be less valuable as they continue to win.

You have to love it for fantasy though. They just locked in this same offense for 3+ years practically

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Tue May 14, 2024 6:51 am

Jigga94 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 6:09 am Agreed. The price came across to me as an overpay. However, I've always liked Goff and consider him to be above average as a QB. Maybe not carry the team on his back like Mahomes, but he's not going out there and hurting the team either. I really like what DET is doing, as long as they continue to hit on draft picks. Unfortunately, those will be less valuable as they continue to win.

You have to love it for fantasy though. They just locked in this same offense for 3+ years practically
Sounds like you're describing Kirk Cousins. A good but not elite QB. Even those guys are hard to find and deserve the pay IMO.
Last edited by Pac_Eddy on Wed May 15, 2024 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Tue May 14, 2024 6:57 am

Pac_Eddy wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 6:51 am
Jigga94 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 6:09 am Agreed. The price came across to me as an overpay. However, I've always liked Goff and consider him to be above average as a QB. Maybe not carry the team on his back like Mahomes, but he's not going out there and hurting the team either. I really like what DET is doing, as long as they continue to hit on draft picks. Unfortunately, those will be less valuable as they continue to win.

Sounds like you're describing Kirk Cousins. A good but not elite QB. Even those guys are hard to find and desereve the pay IMO.
Yup exactly. Can win plenty of games, but maybe not the SB difference maker, especially given all the pieces they've shelled out money to. However, this should keep DET competitive for years and who knows what happens once you make a playoff run.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Tue May 14, 2024 3:56 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 6:57 am Yup exactly. Can win plenty of games, but maybe not the SB difference maker, especially given all the pieces they've shelled out money to. However, this should keep DET competitive for years and who knows what happens once you make a playoff run.
And to be fair, they were one win away from the Superbowl with pretty much this exact team. And they were well-in that game (and probably should have won it tbh)

re. "I really like what DET is doing, as long as they continue to hit on draft picks. Unfortunately, those will be less valuable as they continue to win." ...

I mean, their pick this year couldn't really be that much later short of a SB appearance. They picked 28th, and traded up to get one of the best CB's in the draft - a glaring position of need. I loved GM Brad Holmes move there... he is one shrewd dude.

You're right that they won't be picking high in the forseeable future if this cast remains healthy. But I don't see their picks devaluing any further either... they're pretty much already topped out if 2023 is now the norm.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Wed May 15, 2024 4:12 am

mild wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 3:56 pm
Jigga94 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 6:57 am Yup exactly. Can win plenty of games, but maybe not the SB difference maker, especially given all the pieces they've shelled out money to. However, this should keep DET competitive for years and who knows what happens once you make a playoff run.
And to be fair, they were one win away from the Superbowl with pretty much this exact team. And they were well-in that game (and probably should have won it tbh)

re. "I really like what DET is doing, as long as they continue to hit on draft picks. Unfortunately, those will be less valuable as they continue to win." ...

I mean, their pick this year couldn't really be that much later short of a SB appearance. They picked 28th, and traded up to get one of the best CB's in the draft - a glaring position of need. I loved GM Brad Holmes move there... he is one shrewd dude.

You're right that they won't be picking high in the forseeable future if this cast remains healthy. But I don't see their picks devaluing any further either... they're pretty much already topped out if 2023 is now the norm.
I was just referring to the slew of early picks they've had to build this team. We have no idea if the CB they picked this year will be a star or not so I'm not praising the GM for this one, yet.

This year was the last year since 2017 the Lions had a non top 20 1st rd pick (Jarrad Davis anyone?).

2018-2023 they had 4 top 10 picks (Sewell, Hock, Hutchinson, Okudah) and another 4 top 20 (Ragnow, Gibbs, Campbell, Jamo).

I'm also not saying they can't still build through the draft, they also hit on Laporta in round 2 and ARSB in the 4th. I'm saying they won't have premium capital to use/trade to build value. It just gets harder from here. Which is why it's smart to lock in your studs to long term deals and not chase FA. As a Ravens fan, I approve this philosophy. It can keep you in the mix for years.

However, Goff just received more annually than Lamar, Hurts and a few others who recently signed. I don't see Goff as anywhere close to them, and I've considered myself a Goff truther lol