Senior Bowl Week (Wednesday Update)

Interested in discussing college prospects? Or even High School Prospects? This is the forum.
stevea
All Pro
All Pro

Postby stevea » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:10 pm

Misfit74 wrote:Good stuff, Steve. Keep it coming. I'm especially enjoying your coverage of the QBs.

Also, I'm curious: what did you mean when you said Canfield is 'still a spread offense guy'?
He is more of the pro-style QB, but as grimace said, they run a form of the spread up in Corvallis. As I mentioned, he has the most experience under center of the bunch.

stevea
All Pro
All Pro

Postby stevea » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:12 pm

andy77725 wrote:Any analysis on late addition Roy Upchurch? I'm not sure what it is about him, but I've always liked him. Just wondering how he has been doing in practice thus far.
To be honest, I didn't get to see the sixth Bama player too much thus far. I'll take a look manana.

Phish Brigade
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Phish Brigade » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:55 pm

Enjoying the updates Steve. As always..
GDF3
QB- Vick, Freeman, Hasselbeck, Yates
RB- Foster, McCoy, M Bush, Ben Tate, R Jennings, Alex Green
WR- Wallace, TBMW, Colston, Boldin, Collie, Amendola, Washington Roberts, Doss
TE- Gates, Cook, Carlson, Heap, Shiancoe
K- Cundiff, Novak
DL- Abraham, J Smith, James Hall, R Quinn, Keiser
LB- Poz, DJ Will, Vilma, Wake, Rivers, Mays, Irving
DB- Polamalu, Berry, Delmas, C Woodson, M Griffin, T Thomas, Byrd

stevea
All Pro
All Pro

Postby stevea » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:01 pm

South Squad - Tuesday

Tim Tebow (QB, Florida) has shown a very, very live arm and tight spiral, but the fact he drops his hand down to his hip is making his motion too long. His 3-step timing drop of course needs work as his anticipation will improve. Dan Henning has really been helping Tebow with his head movement when he boots out to the right and turns around to throw it. His deep ball looks terrific. Jarrett Brown (QB, West Virginia) Has an absolutely beautiful release. His issue right now is that he was a one-year starter. He needs the pocket awareness that he was not showing in drills today. He is severely undervalued right now and will a very nice NFL player, in my opinion. He's a better QB than Pat White and has a great deep ball. Zac Robinson (QB, Oklahoma State) was having issues with his footwork, especially in the 3-step timing patterns. Robinson has to really show that he can play QB in the NFL...he may get looks at other positions if QB isn't looking good. His arm strength looks great and his confidence is coming back.

Stefon Johnson (RB, USC) has some beautiful footwork hitting the hole. He gets swallowed up prior to the 2nd level, but he gets rid of junk at the line. Ben Tate (RB, Auburn) is an interesting prospect. I think he's have some nice opportunity as a downhill runner at the next level. He laid the wood to Cody on two occasions in 7on7. Anthony Dixon (RB, Miss State) is a freaking load. He does have a few extra pounds and it's noticeable when he runs, but his footwork is crazy good for a big man.

Dexter McCluster (WR, Mississippi State) beat Arenas deep twice and flashed some very nice hands and routes. His route running looks very solid this week and he has some incredible value as either a wideout or a half back; dude runs a 4.4. I think he'll be huge in the NFL...keep an eye on him for your drafts.
Riley Cooper (WR, Florida) was very slow to develop in college and has shown suspect hands thus far. He will run well in my opinion, but he is falling down some boards. Cooper killed Taylor Mays twice, but dropped each ball. Too inconsistent. Joe Webb (WR, UAB) looks very good and he has some nice talent for a smaller school player. He has great size and ability and could be a nice sleeper in the NFL. Jeremy Williams (WR, Tulane) has some nice deep sped but just can't find the ball in traffic. Looks very good in timing routes and flashes some great hands. Andre Roberts (WR, North Carolina) flashed some nice hands and ability to turn the defensive backs around in man to man.

Loved Darryl Sharpton (LB, Miami) today. He tackles very well and his vision is superb. The issue for Sharpton is that he was only an every-down guy the last six weeks of the season.

Taylor Mays (S, USC) was shaky (as can be expected) in man coverage. He has to show some coverage skill this week if he wants to pass Earl Thomas and get into the first round. His hips are too tight right now and he needs to show folks he no Roy Williams. Parrish Cox (CB, Oklahoma State) was shutting guys down. His hip turns were solid and footwork coming out of breaks kept him on the receiver hips. Patrick Robinson (CB, Florida State) - Showed his off-man skills and was jamming receivers left and right. If he can keep this up, his stock will be shooting through the roof...WRs just can't keep his hands off of them. Great, great hands. Jerell Murphy (CB, South Florida) - Looked very good in man drills today. he shut down his assignment 4 of 5 times in one-on-ones. Very nice hands and he changes direction very well getting hands on the receivers. Trevard Lindley (CB, Kentucky) has some nice footwork but he's just too small. At 176 pounds, he will have to be a nickel guy. Javier Arenas (DB, Alabama) looked awful today. He shows some explosiveness, but just isn't making the reads that he should be. Myron Rolle (CB, Florida State) is an interesting prospect but will get better with more reps this week. Nate Allen (S, South Florida) is a name to remember right now as well. He is a developmental prospect in man coverage, but as a center fielder, he may be as good as anyone here. Great size and he doesn't miss a tackle. Probably a late 2nd guy. Harry Coleman (DB, LSU) played outside linebacker this year, but looks to have a very nice grasp on his natural position.

John Jerry (G, Miss State) is probably a RT or Guard that has some terrific feet like his brother. Ciron Black (G, LSU) will be good at G or RT. He played LT in Baton Rouge, but he is much better when he doesn't have to kickslide and keep up with the speed ends. Jeff Byers (G, USC) extends his hands and has a crazy good punch. He is putting guys on the floor almost every drill.

Terrence Cody (DT, Alabama) has to get in better shape at this point. He isn't going to get quality snaps at NT playing in his current condition. He has nice feet and does well eating up two guys, but he is just getting too winded similar to his last 7 games in college. CJ Wilson (DE, East Carolina) has a great frame and uses his hands wonderfully. He plays tilt nose and a 3 technique and is terrific at pushing the pocket. I like this kid a lot. Antonio Coleman (DE, Auburn) flashed a terrific inside move. Has to keep hands off of him. Dan Williams (DT, Tennessee) is a guy that just eats guys up. He pushes the pile and has incredible strength. He's a late first.

thewhyterabbit
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby thewhyterabbit » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:52 pm

how is shay hodge looking out there?

and did freddie barns get invited to the senior bowl?

bigcsr67
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Taylor Mays

Postby bigcsr67 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:12 pm

I was wondering if any scouts have projected Mays as a Linebacker prospect, a la Brian Urlacher? I am not too sure of his coverage skills as a safety, but he could be a tremendous coverage linebacker with excelent speed and playmaking ability. I think he could be a great OLB in a 3-4 scheme. Any thoughts on this?

stevea
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Taylor Mays

Postby stevea » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:55 pm

bigcsr67 wrote:I was wondering if any scouts have projected Mays as a Linebacker prospect, a la Brian Urlacher? I am not too sure of his coverage skills as a safety, but he could be a tremendous coverage linebacker with excelent speed and playmaking ability. I think he could be a great OLB in a 3-4 scheme. Any thoughts on this?
There are about 5 teams that would attempt to do something like this. A few years back, the Cowboys experimented with bringing Roy Williams down into the box as a 5th LB and OLB in the 3-4 with mixed results. I do know an AFC East team that rhymes with Mew Mengland has expressed interest in something similar. I really do believe Mays is a 2nd round guy at this point in time.

bigcsr67
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: Taylor Mays

Postby bigcsr67 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:25 pm

dlf_stevea wrote:
bigcsr67 wrote:I was wondering if any scouts have projected Mays as a Linebacker prospect, a la Brian Urlacher? I am not too sure of his coverage skills as a safety, but he could be a tremendous coverage linebacker with excelent speed and playmaking ability. I think he could be a great OLB in a 3-4 scheme. Any thoughts on this?
There are about 5 teams that would attempt to do something like this. A few years back, the Cowboys experimented with bringing Roy Williams down into the box as a 5th LB and OLB in the 3-4 with mixed results. I do know an AFC East team that rhymes with Mew Mengland has expressed interest in something similar. I really do believe Mays is a 2nd round guy at this point in time.
That sounds like something they could pull off with a late 1st rd pick. Mew Mengland needs to add more playmakers on D, and that could be a move that would work well for them and thier current needs.

hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby hosler427 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:29 pm

Unless he does something to really impress I can't see Mays going before pick 20 and I agree with Steve that he is a 2nd round prospect. BUT there is always a possibility of the Al Davis wild card but there are other physical specimen that are in this draft that I see as more likely possibilities for a top 10 pick. Who knows with that crazy old man though

bigcsr67
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Myron Rolle

Postby bigcsr67 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:04 pm

What are your opinions on this guy? He is a good talent, and as we all know he is very cerebral. How would you place him in your rankings now, and what round would you project him being selected at?? Will he be a S or a CB??

stevea
All Pro
All Pro

Postby stevea » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:48 am

thewhyterabbit wrote:how is shay hodge looking out there?

and did freddie barns get invited to the senior bowl?
I watched Hodge a bit yesterday but nothing really stood out in my notes from day one. Yesterday he did flash some strong hands and tracked the ball nicely and left FSU CB Robinson in the dust twice.. He's probably a 5th round guy, high-4th at best.

Barnes played in the East/West Shrine game but he helped his stock a lot...

stevea
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Myron Rolle

Postby stevea » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:54 am

bigcsr67 wrote:What are your opinions on this guy? He is a good talent, and as we all know he is very cerebral. How would you place him in your rankings now, and what round would you project him being selected at?? Will he be a S or a CB??
Rolle was very quiet day 1 and really showed up yesterday. he's all over the board after taking so much time off of football ranging from late 2nd to FA signing. I think someone will snag him as a safety late 3rd, early 4th.

Risky bidness
MVP
MVP

Postby Risky bidness » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:18 am

I don't know how tebows throwing inconsistency can ever get him in the first rd. I've heard sometimes he looks great throwing, but times his footwork and mechanics look different from throw to throw. At this pt I don't think a qb can change that. Too much muscle memory, with the hitch, 3/4 angle arm throws. I'm not saying he can't make it work, but NFL teams would have to drop him due to the various inconsistencies.

I've also heard that 3 teams have said he won't make it out of the 1st rd. Watch him tear it up in the senior bowl and make his round grade even more confusing to determine.

stevea
All Pro
All Pro

Postby stevea » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:28 am

North Squad - Wednesday

Sean Canfield (QB, Oregon State) had issues with arm strength into a slight wind today. While Pike and LeFevour zip the ball quite naturally, Canfield has to go into the full windup to get the ball there on his out routes. He did show incredible touch on the deep ball, but the INTs he'll rack up on those intermediate routes will negate that in my eyes.

Tony Pike (QB, Cincinnati) looked much better today. He shows great accuracy to all levels and we know the arm strength is good. His footwork still needs improvement, and NFL coaches have commented on how lazy he looks on the 5 step.

Dan LeFevour (QB, Central Michigan) is having trouble (along with the other two) in keeping a tight spiral. I think he is easily the best here, but he will need to show me Thursday some of his throws on the run. They have looked BAD thus far.

Dorin Dickerson (TE/WR, Pitt) looked better lining up at TE against LBs and especially as a fullback in team drills. I love him in that role instead of trying to spread the field with him, although he didn't drop a ball all day. Ed Dickson (TE, Oregon) is schooling LBs in drills. He has some very nice moves getting off the line, even against stronger defenders. He did a nice job of adjusting to throws today and was catching with his hands again. Garrett Graham (TE, Wisconsin) really is a well-rounded tight end. He looked great today in blocking drills and I think, like Dickerson, could lineup in backfields like Jason Witten as a blocking back as well. Michael Hoomanawanui (TE, Illinois) is looking more and more like a legitimate threat, especially in Big sets or strong side. He can't stretch the field, but he was throwing LBs and Safeties all over the field Wednesday.

Jacoby Ford (WR, Clemson) has me worried. Not only is he having trouble reaching for the ball, but he is letting the ball get in on him way too often. Luckily the dude has some serious moves that help him in cover 1 and cover 3. Mardy Gilyard (WR, Cincinnati) scares me with his lack of upper body strength. The bigger defensive backs were really taking it to him in one-on-one drills today. Disappointing week thus far. Taylor Price (WR, Ohio) really is shaping up nicely against this tougher competition. He catches the ball away from his body and does so very cleanly for a guy with so much speed. If he can run a 4.35, he'll be a terrific mid-round pick. Danario Alexander (WR, Mizzou) was really struggling early in practice with his direction changing. As I mentioned earlier, he is a long-strider, but he doesn't break down well coming into cuts. This is going to cost him in timing patterns in the NFL. Projecting out as a late 4th rounder right now.

Terell Skinner (DB, Maryland) is getting roughed up more as the week goes on. He is a physical player that is counting on athleticism a little too much and is getting beat by some mid-sized guys on deep routes. Devin McCourty (CB, Rutgers) is showing excellent straight-line speed in man coverage. He has the agility to change directions on a dime and drops his hips nicely when exploding to the ball. Kyle Wilson (CB, Boise State) could be a first rounder if this keeps up. Without a doubt, he is showing that he is the best man coverage corner in this group. Shutting down everyone in assignments including Gilyard. Chris Cook (DB, Virginia) flashed why his length is so valuable in the NFL today. He was beaten twice by Jacoby Ford, but Cook's long arms and 6'2" height got him back into the play with ease. Syd-Quan Thompson (CB, California) showed Wednesday why many scouts think he is a great CB, but a zone guy. He tries to get too physical and gets beaten by four+ steps by receivers that keep his hands off of them. I am not sure I can trust Thompson out on an island.

Daryl Washington wins the player of the day for the North. The TCU LB was all over the field in practice. You'll notice I don't cover LBs too terribly much here. They can't tackle anyone and only reasonably are asked to cover.

Brandon Graham (DE/LB, Michigan) showed why he has so many tackles for loss. Not only did he beat Ed Wang consistently today, but he has an uncanny ability to come back inside and also beat bigger guards. Alex Carrington (DL, Arkansas State) really was overpowered by the quicker OTs today. He is a much better run stuffer than blitzing DE, so he will most likely find a home on the left side. Cam Thomas (DL, North Carolina) has a very nice first step, and used his strenth nicely today. He still needs to be careful about letting OL extend their arms on him. Jared Odrick (DT, Penn State) regressed a bit wednesday. He is getting blown off the ball one play, and getting to the QB the next. He has to show more consistency to earn a good grade. Austen Lane (DT, Murray State) like Carrington, is making a name for himself this week. His spin move is absolutely sick and, paired with his size, has opened a lot of eyes.

Mike Iupati (G, Idaho) again had a great day. This guy is 6'5" and 325 and moves in open space incredibly well. One play, he and Tenant were doubling the DT and a moment later, he was five yards downfield taking out the ROLB. Matt Tenant (C, Boston College) is a smaller center weighing just over 290, but he anchored very well today in one-on-one drills. If he can get his hands on the defender a little better at the point of attack, he'll be just fine in the NFL. Vladimir Ducasse (OT, UMASS) got killed by Brandon Graham on Wednesday. This is the kind of bull rush he will face at the next level, so he has to be better prepared and hit the ol' weight room. Sam Young (RT, Notre Dame) is, as I mentioned yesterday, a physical specimen, but he is free falling right now. He's huge but just can't get to the defenders in time. They are simply beating him to the point and it's costing him dearly. Ed Wang (OT, Virginia Tech) is still getting driven backwards by the stronger DEs. They are getting under his pads and pushing him even though he is the bigger player. Eric Olsen (C, Notre Dame) was a little better today as he was able to lock his arms out and keep quicker DTs at bay. Still has issues against the bigger NTs.

Pilate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Pilate » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:04 am

hot nikkels wrote:I don't know how tebows throwing inconsistency can ever get him in the first rd. I've heard sometimes he looks great throwing, but times his footwork and mechanics look different from throw to throw. At this pt I don't think a qb can change that. Too much muscle memory, with the hitch, 3/4 angle arm throws. I'm not saying he can't make it work, but NFL teams would have to drop him due to the various inconsistencies.

I've also heard that 3 teams have said he won't make it out of the 1st rd. Watch him tear it up in the senior bowl and make his round grade even more confusing to determine.
This "throwing inconsistency" tag that Tebow has been throttled with has me totally dumbfounded. In the 2010 Sugar Bowl against the 3rd ranked Cininnati Bear Cats, Tebow passed 31-35 and 482 yards. Tebow never threw below a 64% completion percentage. I know the nay sayers, "all his passes were under 10 yards, blah blah blah".

NEVER has a player ever been more scrutinized and more picked apart then Tim Tebow. I have my opinions as to why but frankly that is irrelevant.

The guy flat out wins and has sick statistics playing in the best conference in College.

Mind boggling.... :evil:

----------------
Now playing: Relient K - I Just Want You To Know