Senior Bowl Week (Wednesday Update)

Interested in discussing college prospects? Or even High School Prospects? This is the forum.
stevea
All Pro
All Pro

Senior Bowl Week (Wednesday Update)

Postby stevea » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:08 pm

Well ladies and gentlemen...here I am in beautiful Mobile, Alabama for Year Two of DLF's Senior Bowl coverage. I'll be giving updates throughout the week right here....
Last edited by stevea on Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

thewhyterabbit
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: Senior Bowl Week

Postby thewhyterabbit » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:13 pm

dlf_stevea wrote:Well ladies and gentlemen...here I am in beautiful Mobile, Alabama for Year Two of DLF's Senior Bowl coverage. I'll be giving updates throughout the week right here....
I KNOW ITS BEEN A YEAR!!! amazing how time flys.

Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Postby Misfit74 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:14 pm

Awesome, Steve! You Da Man!

Also, this:

LSU RB Charles Scott is not participating in this week's Senior Bowl because of a failed physical.
A power back who averaged 5.34 YPC in his college career, Scott broke his collarbone in November and was supposed to be healthy by now. His status for February's Combine is uncertain. His draft stock hangs in the balance-Rotoworld
#GoHawks / @am_misfit / Fractal Audio / Matrix Amplification / Axe FX II XL+ / ESP, Schecter Guitars

blacksheep
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: Senior Bowl Week

Postby blacksheep » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:30 pm

dlf_stevea wrote:Well ladies and gentlemen...here I am in beautiful Mobile, Alabama for Year Two of DLF's Senior Bowl coverage. I'll be giving updates throughout the week right here....
Nice!

BradyT
Legend
Legend

Postby BradyT » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:00 am

Good to have you back Steve!!! You were a little bit absent the last few weeks!
24 roster spots - 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1Flex

QB: Herbert,Minshew
RB: Breece,Walker,Taylor,BRobinson,Allgeier,Spiller
WR:Jefferson,Lamb,DJMoore,QJohnston,Jameson,MMims, T.Marshall,Shakir,Gallup
TE: Andrews,Conklin
DST:DAL
2024 picks: 1.11, 2.10, 4.01, 4.05, 4.07, 4.11

Risky bidness
MVP
MVP

Postby Risky bidness » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:32 am

Steve, you gotta give me the scoop on tim Ryan and pat kirwan from Sirius "movin the chains.". I heard they get a pretty big following at the senior bowl. Plus they might have some good scoopage for senior bowl week. If nothing else the fans of the show that go down should be partying all week. Sounds like they have a good time in mobile.

moneyballer
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby moneyballer » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:45 am

Every time I read these posts of yours, Steve, I get jealous :lol:

Here I am sitting in front of my computer in a podunk town in upstate NY looking at fantasy rosters.
Last edited by moneyballer on Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

BradyT
Legend
Legend

Postby BradyT » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:05 am

moneyballer wrote:Every time I read these posts of your Steve I get jealous :lol:

Here I am sitting in front of my computer in a podunk town in upstate NY looking at fantasy rosters.
Lol yea.. agreed! It must be great to be at the Senior Bowl and NFL combine, watching all those prospects.
24 roster spots - 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1Flex

QB: Herbert,Minshew
RB: Breece,Walker,Taylor,BRobinson,Allgeier,Spiller
WR:Jefferson,Lamb,DJMoore,QJohnston,Jameson,MMims, T.Marshall,Shakir,Gallup
TE: Andrews,Conklin
DST:DAL
2024 picks: 1.11, 2.10, 4.01, 4.05, 4.07, 4.11

stevea
All Pro
All Pro

Postby stevea » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:26 am

Monday, January 25

Today was a rough day for many players. Folks might think it's them trying to shake some rust off, but many of these players have been training for at least two weeks with personal trainers and coaches preparing for this week's game and the months leading up to the draft.

North Squad
Sean Canfield (QB, Oregon State) had an absolutely crap day accentuated by bad habits such as throwing off of his back foot with little pressure and missing open receivers over 7 yards away.

I was very impressed by Dan LeFevour (QB, Central Michigan). His footwork was the best of the day, and his timing will improve each day this week with his terrific speed receivers.

Tony Pike (QB, Cincinnati) definitely showed the hitch in his motion all day yesterday. He definitely has the arm to make every throw the NFL will ask of him, but the accuracy has to improve.

Legarrette Blount (RB, Oregon) looks solid. We have talked about his resemblance to Brandon Jacobs and generates ridiculous power when he runs. He runs a little upright, but ran through about 15 arm tackles on his first four runs. Blout also showed on some great hands, taking every safety behind the shed on wheel routes and just simple screens out of the backfield.

I am also impressed thus far by Chris Brown (RB, Oklahoma). His vision is terrific and seems to run instinctively low while not wasting steps dancing in the backfield. His first three steps after hitting the hole are very quick and his low center of gravity will serve him well in the NFL. The North has terrific hands in the backfield, probably led by Brown.

Both Joique Bell (RB, Wayne State) and Lonyae Miller (RB, Fresno State) showed fast initial bursts and an uncanny ability to turn their shoulders when running up the middle to get small. Bell runs like a freakin gazelle and really glides when he runs, getting some serious yards with every stride. If Bell can add 10 more pounds without losing speed, he could be a very nice sleeper for an NFL team and his fantasy owners. Lonyae is a hands catcher, and will be used as a receiver as he can get through trash.

Mardy Gilyard (WR, Cincinnati) dropped a boatload of passes today. Gilyard needs to have an incredible week after measuring in at under 6'0" and very much under weight (5'11 1/2", 179), which surprised everyone. He was listed at 190, which was his last recorded weight in Spring practice. He body-catches too often for my taste. Got tore up by the coaches almost all day.

Danario Alexander (WR, Missouri) is someone that people want to see do well. He shows great body control and comes back to the football incredibly well. He will have trouble getting off the line at the next level as he dips his shoulders too much.

Jacoby Ford (WR, Clemson) wins my player of the day. Ford is very consistent and made a ton of plays. He high points passes and gets low very quickly below the waist to always use his hand. The separation he will be able to make are a testament to his excellent cuts and speed coming out of breaks. His comeback route is the best I've seen in two years, but he needs to show some of that track speed deep.

Taylor Price (WR, Ohio) also had a great practice. If he can pick up a relationship with his NFL QB the way he has with LeFevour, he'll be in in a starting lineup in no time.

Garrett Graham (TE, Wisconsin) looks very athletic and gets upfield very quickly. He has the strongest hands in this year's class and his size will help him move defenders. I am excited to see him in pads....

Ed Dickson (TE, Oregon) is another favorite of mine and will be a star at the next level. He does drop his hips very, very quickly and can get to the ball about as quick as a Vernon Davis or Jason Witten. Watch this guy block as well, and you'll see why some scouts think he'll be just as good as the Cowboys' star. This guy can lineup anywhere.

Mike Hoomanawanui (TE, Illinois) is someone that I have had on my radar all season and has GREAT hands, especially on hot routes. I am pumped about seeing him more this week. He was injured much of his career...

Mike Iupati (G, Idaho) did a good job of beating up on Jared Odrick (DL, Penn State) yesterday. Iupati has a 35" reach. THIRTY FIVE INCH. Only Andre Smith had a longer reach out of everyone in last year's draft. He keeps defenders off his body and will be a guy to watch as a four position player.

I am worried about O'Brien Schofield. This guy tore it up in the Shrine Game and took it to every matchup in one-on-one drills, but was injured. He was shooting up draft boards, but he appears to have an ACL injury.

Alex Carrington (DL, Arkansas State) beat the offensive line a handful of times with a very powerful spin move.

Syd’Quan Thompson (CB, California) got beat like a rented goalie all practice. He opens up too early and dips a little too much when moving across. Moving down my board.

South
Didn't get to watch too much of the South as both squads were hitting the field at the same time, but a few notes:

Mr. Tim Tebow (QB, Florida) was having a very rough time with the center exchange yesterday, fumbling three times in a row during 7 on 7s. This is something that people will nit-pick all week long, but it's something that Tebow has to prove he can handle if he wants to silence his critics. There is a wide-range of views on Tebow....three prominent coaches/scouts have said that he won't last past them in the first round, while two others have him with a third round grade as an inside running H-back.

Dexter McCluster (RB, Mississippi) was all over the field. The coaching staff loves him out of the backfield and is a very versatile player.

Terrance Cody (DT, Alabama) looked incredibly bad to kick off the week. Not only was he looking as out of shape as *gasp* Andre Smith, but he looks terribly sluggish. He looks more out of shape than Smith did last year.

Javier Arenas (CB, Alabama) was listed at 5'10 1/2" by the Tide but measured in at 5'8 5/8". That by itself is going to cost him as he probably isn't a top-5 CB in many scouts eyes any more.

Taylor Mays (S, USC) came in looking incredibly solid. He hit his expected measurements of 6'1 3/8", 230. Looked very quick out of cuts yesterday.

I heard that George Selvie (DE, South Florida) had a terrible day, but I will try to watch him a lot today.

stevea
All Pro
All Pro

Postby stevea » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:23 pm

Tuesday, January 26

Today is the first day of full pads. Should be fun...30 days till the Combine....

North Squad
Tony Pike (QB, Cincinnati) really needs to sharped things up. He is such a long, lean guy that any hitch or shortcoming in process is going to throw everything off. He doesn't have the natural ability to make up for small mistakes in motion. He also looks very abrupt getting the ball out in 3-step drops and his balance is off.

Sean Canfield (QB, Oregon State) really showed his experience under center today. He looked more relaxed and made up for yesterday's shortfalls with nice 3 to 5-step drops. He was still a spread offense guy, but looked good.

Dan LeFevour (QB, Central Michigan) is driving the ball nicely. He pushes off with his back foot better than the other two QBs, but still needs to work on his footwork and balance on the deeper drops. Essentially his first three steps look good, but his two smaller ones at the end are not getting his balance where it needs to be. It's scary how broad rankings are on LeFevour. Three teams I spoke to this morning have him as the #1 QB in this draft....others have him 5th.

Dorin Dickerson (TE/WR, Pitt) was lining up exclusively at wideout today. He is more of an H-back and inside the numbers type receiver with excellent hands. He was getting his bleep shut down on the outside today, even by safeties. He showed excellent blocking today. Ed Dickson (TE, Oregon) looks very good today. He was beating corners consistently and will be utilized at the 2/3/TE positions. Garrett Graham (TE, Wisconsin) really is a well-rounded tight end. He'll run a high 4.7, but he's good at everything he does. I am really falling in love with Michael Hoomanawanui (TE, Illinois). He is a BIG boy at 6'3 3/4", 267 and loves to bring it to the first defender. The matchup problems he will create for smaller linebackers and safeties will serve him well. Add in the fact that he is a suburb in-line blocker and this guy will surprise. Jacoby Ford (WR, Clemson) needs to stay lower out of his breaks. He loses way too much speed on some comebacks and out routes by raising up. He can't take advantage of his world-class speed if he doesn't stay down. Mardy Gilyard (WR, Cincinnati) looked much better in today's practice and cuts very well with a very quick release. Taylor Price (WR, Ohio) had a nice first day, but looked slow coming out of breaks today. Danario Alexander (WR, Mizzou) uses his body extremely well in routes. He will have to do so as he struggles in press coverage and when a backer gets his hands on him.

Terell Skinner (DB, Maryland) has very nice size, but is a little flat-footed coming out of breaks, but jumps routes very well. I worry about his physicality down field. Devin McCourty (CB, Rutgers) drops his hips very well and showed excellent coverage against Jacoby Ford and Gilyard. At 5'11", he's catching some scouts eyes. Kyle Wilson (CB, Boise State) looks great. He's 5'10", 190 and is absolutely shutting people down. He's moving up quickly and is a borderline 2nd rounder; sticks to guys like glue. Chris Cook (DB, Virginia) looks solid thus far. He is a versatile player in the secondary that can play safety or corner (most likely safety in my opinion). He keeps his hips low and drives into receivers very well...he even lit up tight ends in press man. Syd-Quan Thompson (CB, California) is showing excellent physical play at the cornerback position. He presses very well against all sorts of receivers and has the balls to put two hands in the bigger guys' chests prior to a break. If he can keep up the physical play through the combine, teams will fall in love with him as he drives very well, even with 4.55 speed. Thompson got beat badly by Gilyard; it can happen on long routes.

Sean Weatherspoon (LB, Mizzou) is a first round pick. He can probably play inside or outside. Looked good in team run situations. It's tough to get much out of team drills with guys going at about 50% today.

Alex Carrington (DL, Arkansas State) looks very good today. He is beating everyone he was up against. Cam Thomas (DL, North Carolina) has a very nice first step, but is allowing the offensive linemen to reanchor. Jared Odrick (DT, Penn State) will draw interest from every team in the NFL with his versatility. He can play DT in a 4-3 or DE in the 3-4...he's a two gapper. Austen Lane (DT, Murray State) is a very intense player with terrific athleticism. He can match up against the bigger school guys nicely as long as he keeps their hands off him. Loved Brandon Graham (DE/LB, Michigan) coming in from the outside. He is an incredible athlete and runs like the wind. He is very stout against the run and will be a great 3-4 rusher and 4-3 base man.

Mike Iupati (G, Idaho) is the highest rated guy in the North. He will get OT reps as well and can play almost any position on the front. He is just nasty and has a great base. Matt Tenant (C, Boston College) has a chance to move up to the third round if he continues to improve this week. Vladimir Ducasse (OT, UMASS) is excellent when he gets his hands on the defensive linemen. His issue is dropping his hips when he kick-slides and he gets beat when he opens the door. He is a big dude, but gets beat a little too easily. Sam Young (RT, Notre Dame) has a great frame, but is only a RG. That is going to hurt him long-term as he can only play the one position. Ed Wang (OT, Virginia Tech) has issues against the speed rush. He needs to move those feet.... Eric Olsen (C, Notre Dame) looked bad against the bigger dudes. He can't lock his arms out unless his assignment is undersized thus far this week.

blacksheep
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby blacksheep » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:18 pm

Can you tell us which teams you talk to about certain players? Or is that something you'd rather not?

Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Postby Misfit74 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:03 pm

Good stuff, Steve. Keep it coming. I'm especially enjoying your coverage of the QBs.

Also, I'm curious: what did you mean when you said Canfield is 'still a spread offense guy'?
#GoHawks / @am_misfit / Fractal Audio / Matrix Amplification / Axe FX II XL+ / ESP, Schecter Guitars

Pilate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Pilate » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:10 pm

Misfit74 wrote:Good stuff, Steve. Keep it coming. I'm especially enjoying your coverage of the QBs.

Also, I'm curious: what did you mean when you said Canfield is 'still a spread offense guy'?
I wondered the same thing..he is probably confusing him with Jeremiah Masoli from Oregon.

----------------
Now playing: New Order - Touched By The Hand Of God

grimace
All Pro
All Pro

Postby grimace » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:00 pm

Pilate wrote:
Misfit74 wrote:Good stuff, Steve. Keep it coming. I'm especially enjoying your coverage of the QBs.

I wondered the same thing..he is probably confusing him with Jeremiah Masoli from Oregon.

----------------
Now playing: New Order - Touched By The Hand Of God
Oregon State also runs a form of the spread, Lyle Moevao is their original Spread Style Qb but has been injured. Allot of talk out here in OR-RE-GONE about the QB's and if Canfield could run the offense in Moevao's absence.

andy77725
Role Player
Role Player

Postby andy77725 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:04 pm

Any analysis on late addition Roy Upchurch? I'm not sure what it is about him, but I've always liked him. Just wondering how he has been doing in practice thus far.