Jennings to MIA; 2 yrs $8m

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
doktor
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Jennings to MIA; 2 yrs $8m

Postby doktor » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:33 am

Does he retain at least bye-week-fill-in status with this?

HawkeyeState
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Jennings to MIA; 2 yrs $8m

Postby HawkeyeState » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:39 am

I suppose but barely
Team 1
10 TM .5 PPR, 6 pt all TDs 1/2/3/1/2Flex
Newton, Rivers
LF, Chubb, Michel, Kerryon, Hyde, AJones, Royce F, Crowell
Adams, Cooper, Alshon, Watkins, ARob, Fuller, Doctson, Funchess, Gallup, Pettis, Valdez-Scant
Gronk, HHenry, Engram
1.09, 2.09, 3.09, 4.09, 5.09

Team 2
10 TM 1/2/3/1/1Flex 6pt all TDs .25 PPR RB, .5 PPR WR, 1 PPR TE
Wilson, Big Ben
Bell, JConner, MMack, Shady, CThompson, D'Onta Foreman, C Edmonds, B Scarborough
Julio, Nuk, Fuller, Cooks, ARob, Watkins, Cooper, SShepard, CDavis, DJ Chark
Kelce, Olsen, Andrews
1.09, 2.09, 3.09, 4.09, 5.09

Team 3
10 team, 0.5 PPR RBs WRs, 1 PPR TEs, Devy Superflex League
Carr, Goff, Falk
Barkley, Dalvin, Mixon, Michel, Ballage, MDavis, Dixon, Akers*
Hopkins, JuJu, Watkins, Fuller, Agholor, Moncrief, EQSB, Valdez-Scant, CRogers
Eifert, Ebron, JJames, JCook
1.02, 2.02, 2.06, 3.04

Played against David Johnson in HS, he was a stud back then too

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:06 pm

And they claim they're still looking to draft another receiver in the first-round. Their commitment to giving Tannehill plenty of weapons is great for him. Seems like a recommended dynasty buy right now.

Not so great for Landry's volume-reliant role (Jennings will earn more targets than Hartline did), and possibly Stills depending on who falls to the Dolphins at 1.14, since it could mean Stills is actually the #2 of the future, not the #1.

@OP

I don't know that Jennings is quite as washed up as popular opinion suggests. I think it's plausible that he could surprise a bit this year, now that's he's back in an offense that actually throws the ball 575+ times in a season. Also being reunited with his old buddy Philbin can't hurt.

Ostensibly he's been signed to man the outside opposite Stills, but his game has overlap with Landry's, so if Landry gets injured, Jennings could take over the high-volume slot role. Beyond that, Jennings' 2015 projection will depend on the rookie the Fins draft in round 1, if he is indeed a receiver. If it happens, Jennings might lose some of his snaps to the developing rookie.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

kadun2
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby kadun2 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:59 pm

A safe depth signing for Miami, although they paid a bit much. I agree a somewhat significant rookie will/should be drafted. Jennings is a good character and quality teammate. He may fill many different roles this year and on some weeks be a good play. So, yes, a good bye week fill in and possibly more.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:45 pm

ninotoreS wrote: Not so great for Landry's volume-reliant role
Pretty much... Landry will still get his, but the 100 catches some were predicting for him seems pretty unlikely now with Stills, Jennings, and Cameron there. Not like that is an all-pro group of receivers but it's better than what they had last year. I would imagine they try to run the ball a bit more with Miller than they did last year.

TheChicken
Captain
Captain

Postby TheChicken » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:39 am

I had Rishard Matthews and a Rookie pencilled in for 70 catches so there are receptions available in addition to those of Stills and Landry. He'll probably be the starter in 2 WR sets (although I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Miami use a lot of 11 personal so he should be on the field a lot regardless) so Jennings could be productive. Although it should be noted that Brian Hartline had more snaps then Landry last season, but only had 39 catches! As for Landry, expecting 100 catches is expecting him to be in the top 5 receiving WRs in the league, which is bullish to say the least. I do however expect his yards per catch to increase from his measly 9.0 in 2015.

I'd also be interested in how the deal in structured. The Dolphins have no need to spend cash to reach the cash floor so the contract would be indicative as to whether they see this as a one year rental or not.
99 problems but your 10 team league ain't one!

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:49 am

If the phins draft a wr in the 1st I would say he is next to worthless that said I think they go corner and draft a wr in the 2nd or 3rd and that may net jennings a 60 catch 740 yard 3 td season and then they move on from him next year. I would give up much to get him and it wouldn't take much for me to move him if I already owned him.
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:12 am

You know... this thread got me looking a bit at Jennings' 2014 tape.

It's actually better than I expected it to be.

Still has the same nice hands. I'm still seeing a veteran's route savvy, and regular separation. And he doesn't look that slow yet (slower compared to his prime, definitely, but relatively speaking he's still moving pretty well).

I think I'm liking Jennings more and more as a sleeper fantasy WR3 in 2015. Something like 80-950-8 might not be crazy. If the owner in my league cuts him for the rookie-draft, I might take a flier on him.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

doktor
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby doktor » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:17 am

Great bit of convo all around fellas!

I have him currently as my WR 6-8; so I'm pleased enough with the landing spot that I think he at least retains a similar value as he had in MIN; even if that value isn't much. Perhaps I can use him on a bye week once or twice; perhaps he might surprise and be more useful; perhaps as a throw-in chip on some other deal once the season is underway.

Certainly I see MIA as a better landing spot than somewhere like OAK, BUF, NYJ, KC, etc. Those places would likely have made him flat-out droppable.

bonscott
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby bonscott » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:20 am

He's a guy I'd pick up on the cheap, but wouldn't count on him as more then a bye week fillin or WR 4. Temper expectations and he'll be fine for many teams. I don't expect much but yea, I'd certainly take a flyer if he was really cheap, certainly if someone actually just cut him which I double would happen.

Chocolate Droppa
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Chocolate Droppa » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:05 am

He was sitting on waivers and I picked him up as soon as his signing was reported. He is nothing but insurance for me (WR6) and thats with Gordon on suspension. Just read that his contract came with a decent signing bonus and that it is not one you give a situational player. Does this mean Miami goes in a different direction round 1? If so, I give him a another bump.

jimjim90
Rookie
Rookie

Postby jimjim90 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:38 am

As a lifelong Dolphins fan (please hold the jokes), I love this signing more from a fan standpoint than from a fantasy standpoint. Great to have a solid veteran presence for that young group of receivers and Tannehill.

I think Jennings may turn into a favorite 3rd down and red zone target for Tannehill. He's always had a nose for the end zone.
16 team dynasty league, salary cap, .5 PPR, return yards, IDP

QB: Prescott, T. Taylor, Manuel
RB: Gurley, D. Martin, Abdullah, Duke Johnson, Foreman, Zenner, B. Cunningham
WR: Cooks, K. Benjamin, Jeffery, C. Coleman, Treadwell, Kupp, R. Anderson, T. Sharpe, E. Rogers
TE: Ebron, D. Sims, J. Graham, C. Brate

Fezzik
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Fezzik » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:53 am

Kind of reiterating what people have said here.

I don't think he's done. He got a reasonable contract into a situation that he's familiar with (Philbin was his OC in GB). He's definitely a better fit on a contender's roster for bye weeks/spot starts than upside guys. I'd rather cut a guy like, I don't know, a Stedman Bailey, who is ranked 10 spots above him in the rankings. Players go down all the time, and you can't schedule injuries around your bye weeks. You need productive depth like this in-season instead of having a Stedman Bailey put up a goose egg.

I wouldn't trade a late second for Jennings, but he's got a place on a fantasy roster.

doktor
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby doktor » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:56 am

Fezzik wrote:He's definitely a better fit on a contender's roster for bye weeks/spot starts than upside guys. I'd rather cut a guy like, I don't know, a Stedman Bailey, who is ranked 10 spots above him in the rankings. Players go down all the time, and you can't schedule injuries around your bye weeks. You need productive depth like this in-season instead of having a Stedman Bailey put up a goose egg.
Great point here!