Draft Underway... now what ( Updated )

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
Phish Brigade
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Phish Brigade » Wed May 06, 2009 6:26 pm

jimmo wrote:
pvballer3915 wrote:That is true. The new system they have is not a TE passing offense. Mcmichael didnt do anything in St.L so id say that is the better way to go then! Go get austin!!! lol :D
I'm not a big fan of Pettigrew for fantasy, but when Linehan was coordinator, as opposed to a head coach, his offense was pretty TE friendly- averages of 62-617-3, which are low-end top 10 numbers. At the very least Pettigrew should get red zone targets as Linehan loves to throw in close.
My last counter was I give my 2.08 for this guy's 2.09 ( so he can draft Barden ) and then he gives me 3.01 for my 3.06 and my 2010 4th. I'd be happy if he took that. That way I'd have 2.09, 2.12 and 3.01 and could just go ahead and draft Collie, Pettigrew or Nelson and maybe Jennings. Pat White is definitely getting drafted at 2.10 or 2.11

I'm just not high on Williams.
GDF3
QB- Vick, Freeman, Hasselbeck, Yates
RB- Foster, McCoy, M Bush, Ben Tate, R Jennings, Alex Green
WR- Wallace, TBMW, Colston, Boldin, Collie, Amendola, Washington Roberts, Doss
TE- Gates, Cook, Carlson, Heap, Shiancoe
K- Cundiff, Novak
DL- Abraham, J Smith, James Hall, R Quinn, Keiser
LB- Poz, DJ Will, Vilma, Wake, Rivers, Mays, Irving
DB- Polamalu, Berry, Delmas, C Woodson, M Griffin, T Thomas, Byrd

thewhyterabbit
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby thewhyterabbit » Wed May 06, 2009 6:54 pm

Phish Brigade wrote:
pvballer3915 wrote:
Phish Brigade wrote: Ya, I think getting Austin for my 2.08 and then Collie at 2.12 would be okay. I'm not thrilled with anyone at this point. Then I could grab Nelson at 3.03 if he's still there. Barden, Pettigrew and Pat White should be 3 guys selected in the next few picks. Derrick Williams might not be far behind, but I'm not really high on him. Something about Detroit I think. :lol:
Haha. Yea exactly, grab austin and then at 2.12 i say if pettigrew is available you should get him. shockey and gates are aging..notice that. And a young qb loves throwing to a nice TE. then i think at 3.03 collie will still be available. I honestly forgot about him untill i read this!
I know that Collie won't last until 3.03, and it wouldn't be the end of the world... but I'd rather have Nelson anyway. Pettigrew will be blocking too much in Detroit. He'll be a 3 down player, but he probably won't be a PPR monster.
thats what people thought about jason witten. petty at 2.8 is great value.

Phish Brigade
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Phish Brigade » Wed May 06, 2009 7:12 pm

thewhyterabbit wrote:
Phish Brigade wrote:
pvballer3915 wrote: Haha. Yea exactly, grab austin and then at 2.12 i say if pettigrew is available you should get him. shockey and gates are aging..notice that. And a young qb loves throwing to a nice TE. then i think at 3.03 collie will still be available. I honestly forgot about him untill i read this!
I know that Collie won't last until 3.03, and it wouldn't be the end of the world... but I'd rather have Nelson anyway. Pettigrew will be blocking too much in Detroit. He'll be a 3 down player, but he probably won't be a PPR monster.
thats what people thought about jason witten. petty at 2.8 is great value.
And I did think about him. But I've got Gates and Shockey ( who aren't spring chickens ) and I'm dying for WR help. Hopefully Hixon starts this year and Simpson or Johnson become starters next year. But this way I can get Miles Austin now, who's still a young player with upside if he some PT this year and I can still get Collie and/or Nelson with the next two.

The guy who got my 2.08 has since drafted Pettigrew. Go figure.
GDF3
K- Cundiff, Novak

Phish Brigade
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Phish Brigade » Thu May 07, 2009 7:49 pm

For those who are interested, here is what the draft looks like at the halfway point. Keep in mind, it's a PPR league and we can start a 2nd QB as a flex with 2 flex spots. My picks are in bold.

Round #1:
1) Michael Crabtree (WR-SF)
2) Knowshon Moreno (RB-Den)
3) Chris (Beanie) Wells (RB-Ari)
4) Donald Brown (RB-Indy)
5) LeSean McCoy (RB-Phi)
6) Mark Sanchez (QB-NYJ)
7) Matt Stafford (QB-Det)
8) Jeremy Maclin (WR-Phi)
9) Shonn Greene (RB-NYJ)
10) Hakeem Nicks (WR-NYG)
11) Percy Harvin (WR-Min)
12) Brian Robiskie (WR-Cle)

Round #2:
1) Josh Freeman (QB-TB)
2) Joaquin Iglesias (WR-Chi)
3) Darrius Heyward-Bey (WR-Oak)
4) Kenny Britt (WR-Ten)
5) Andre Brown (RB-NYG)
6) Mohamed Massaquoi (WR-Cle)
7) James Davis (RB-Cle)
8) Brandon Pettigrew (TE-Det) I traded out of this spot for Miles Austin and to move up in the 3rd at 3.03
9) Pat White (QB-Mia)
10) Glen Coffee (RB-SF)
11) Ramses Barden (WR-NYG)
12) Austin Collie (WR-Ind)

Round #3:
1) Rashad Jennings (RB-Jac)
2) Mike Goodson (RB-Car)
3) Shawn Nelson (TE-Buf)
4) Jared Cook (TE-Ten)
5) Bernard Scott (RB-Cin)
6) Mike Thomas (WR-Jac)
7) Chase Coffman (TE-Cin)

I'm sure a few of you will be surprised to see Derrick Williams is still available. Either we're all wrong or we're all on to something.

Maybe somewhat surprising to see Crabtree go #1 overall. But the guy who had 1.01 made a few trades as he was in full rebuild mode after our first season. He also had 3 other 1st rounders were he drafted Donald Brown, Stafford and Robiskie.
GDF3
K- Cundiff, Novak

jimmo
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby jimmo » Thu May 07, 2009 9:47 pm

thanks for the update Phish!

M357's
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby M357's » Fri May 08, 2009 7:59 am

Hey Phish, you did well getting Austin in the trade!

Derrick Williams from what i was able to gather will be fighting for playing time with R.Curry in Detroit for the slot role, but will see the most of his playing time on kick returns. Williams went undrafted in my 4 round rookie draft last weekend, so its not suprising to see him not taken yet. Johnny Knox, WR, Chicago could hold some value as well with one of your later picks.

On a side note, it looks like there is not a whole lot left for RB's on the board, however i took a flyer on an undrafted f/a RB in Arian Foster, Houston. Houston needs that big back to compliment Slaton and they never drafted one, and they really like Foster at 6'1, 232 you are likely to snag him later in the draft as im sure he is on nobodys radar.

Good luck!

Phish Brigade
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Phish Brigade » Fri May 08, 2009 2:50 pm

M357's wrote:Hey Phish, you did well getting Austin in the trade!

Derrick Williams from what i was able to gather will be fighting for playing time with R.Curry in Detroit for the slot role, but will see the most of his playing time on kick returns. Williams went undrafted in my 4 round rookie draft last weekend, so its not suprising to see him not taken yet. Johnny Knox, WR, Chicago could hold some value as well with one of your later picks.

On a side note, it looks like there is not a whole lot left for RB's on the board, however i took a flyer on an undrafted f/a RB in Arian Foster, Houston. Houston needs that big back to compliment Slaton and they never drafted one, and they really like Foster at 6'1, 232 you are likely to snag him later in the draft as im sure he is on nobodys radar.

Good luck!

Thanks brotha!

Hopefully some of these young WRs that I have will become more than WR3s or WR4s in the NFL. With Miles Austin, Hixon, Jerome Simpson, Will Franklin, Steve Johnson and Austin Collie... surely one or two of them won't be waiver wire fodder a year or two from now. I focused on drafting young players, and it hasn't paid off yet. But I'll have a really good idea of where they all stand a year from now. Especially Miles Austin, Hixon and Simpson.

I agree, Foster is worth a 4th round pick. I'm tempted to try and trade up again since I have two 4ths and 5.06, because I don't want to cut three more guys. Ryan Fitzpatrick, Matt Jones and Selvin Young don't offer much long term potential... but I don't mind having them stashed away just in case.

Seattle's team D is a free agent. So I plan on adding them in the 4th. I dumped Denver as my backup D already.
GDF3
K- Cundiff, Novak

Phish Brigade
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Phish Brigade » Sat May 09, 2009 3:34 pm

For those who are enjoying the drama... here's what the draft looks like midway through round 4.

Round #1:
1) Michael Crabtree (WR-SF)
2) Knowshon Moreno (RB-Den)
3) Chris (Beanie) Wells (RB-Ari)
4) Donald Brown (RB-Indy)
5) LeSean McCoy (RB-Phi)
6) Mark Sanchez (QB-NYJ)
7) Matt Stafford (QB-Det)
8) Jeremy Maclin (WR-Phi)
9) Shonn Greene (RB-NYJ)
10) Hakeem Nicks (WR-NYG)
11) Percy Harvin (WR-Min)
12) Brian Robiskie (WR-Cle)

Round #2:
1) Josh Freeman (QB-TB)
2) Joaquin Iglesias (WR-Chi)
3) Darrius Heyward-Bey (WR-Oak)
4) Kenny Britt (WR-Ten)
5) Andre Brown (RB-NYG)
6) Mohamed Massaquoi (WR-Cle)
7) James Davis (RB-Cle)
8) Brandon Pettigrew (TE-Det) I traded out of this spot for Miles Austin and to move up in the 3rd at 3.03
9) Pat White (QB-Mia)
10) Glen Coffee (RB-SF)
11) Ramses Barden (WR-NYG)
12) Austin Collie (WR-Ind)

Round #3:
1) Rashad Jennings (RB-Jac)
2) Mike Goodson (RB-Car)
3) Shawn Nelson (TE-Buf)
4) Jared Cook (TE-Ten)
5) Bernard Scott (RB-Cin)
6) Mike Thomas (WR-Jac)
7) Chase Coffman (TE-Cin)
8) Cornelius Ingram (TE-PHI)
9) Javon Ringer (RB-Ten)
10) Deon Butler (WR-Sea)
11) Jarrett Dillard (WR-Jac)
12) Louis Murphy (WR-Oak)
13) Johnny Knox (WR-Chi)

Round #4:
1) Mike Wallace (WR-Pit)
2) Arian Foster (RB-Hou)
3) Gartrell Johnson (RB-SD)
4) Cedric Peerman (RB-Bal)
5) Derrick Williams (WR-Det)
6) Seattle Defense - I hated to use a pick on a team D, but I had to cut Denver loose.
7) Brandon Tate (WR-NE)

Derrick Williams was finally drafted! I think I looked at him with every pick I had, but decided against it. It bothered me to burn a pick on a team D in a rookie draft... but we are talking about a starting position that I needed to fill because Buffalo isn't an every week starter. I took a chance on Denver's D last year, primarily because of Champ Bailey... but that team isn't going to get a ton of picks, sacks or TDs anytime soon.

I think I'm done in this draft. Unless anyone thinks I should just drop Matt Jones or Ryan Fitzpatrick now for someone else.
GDF3
K- Cundiff, Novak

pvballer3915
Captain
Captain

Postby pvballer3915 » Sat May 09, 2009 3:37 pm

you should have gone with brandon tate over seattle D. I think you could have gotten them later

Phish Brigade
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Phish Brigade » Sat May 09, 2009 8:05 pm

pvballer3915 wrote:you should have gone with brandon tate over seattle D. I think you could have gotten them later
You're definitely right. And I knew it at the time... but I'm actually considering dealing away my last two picks, and I really needed a 2nd team defense. Our scoring format includes points against, and it's really nice to have a 2nd option when the first has a really bad matchup, or when the 2nd team d has a good one. There are a couple of teams that are carrying 3 team d's, and so you can imagine what's left. And since I didn't draft Blitzburgh or the Ravens early, this is what I get. I drafted Buffalo because they have a young defense with guys like Poz, McGee and McKelvin... and PR/KR TDs count.

Is there anyone else left that you would consider drafting this year? Have a look at my previous post.

And would that player have more value than a late round pick next year? Or more value than some of the chumps on my roster now? Fitzpatrick, Jacob Hester, Peyton Hillis and Matt Jones are all expendable in terms of long term value. I realize that. But here's why I'm tempted to hang on to them.

Fitzpatrick - Edwards had a nasty concussion last year. I picked up Fitzpatrick last year when Palmer went down.... we can start 2 QBs, and I was suffering through many other injuries last year. And since Edwards' chances of going down again are higher... Fitzpatrick might not be totally useless this year.

Jacob Hester - I know he's not the typical goal line vulture. But LT is wearing down, and surely they didn't give up a 2nd rounder to the Pats ( of all teams ) for him for nothing. If they cut Sproles loose after this year, he might still have some value.

Peyton Hillis - Most of the same reasons why I'm keeping Hester. Both of them offer something as 3rd down RBs, since they can both catch. Especially when you consider they aren't scat backs. It's a PPR league.

Matt Jones - He has messed up his life. But something tells me someone will come knocking. He's still really young, and his last incident was relatively minor. He still might get suspended, but the Jets and Cowboys were rumored to have some interest.

Am I crazy for keeping any of these guys when their long term value is crap?
GDF3
K- Cundiff, Novak

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Sat May 09, 2009 9:01 pm

I wouldn't hang onto Fitzpatrick or Matt Jones.

Fitzpatrick's ypa was pathetic. Absolutely awful. And the major contributor to the bad season from Ocho. You're better off with a vacancy in your starting lineup.

As to Matt Jones, I have never liked him. Overrated. Last year was an anomaly. I expect that he will spend more of these young years on the police blotter than in the NFL. Not worth hanging onto, imho, if there is someone better on the waiver wire.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Phish Brigade
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Phish Brigade » Sat May 09, 2009 10:53 pm

With 30 man rosters, there isn't much on the waiver wire. And believe me, I realize that Fitzpatrick and Jones won't be leading me to the promised land.

I suppose Jeff Garcia or Jonnie Lee Higgins might have more value this year than Fitzpatrick or Matt Jones... the best two players available on the WW. :roll:

Perhaps I'll keep my 4.12 and swap Fitzpatrick for Garcia. The reports on Jamarcus Russell don't sound very good.

Or should my strategy be to stink it up this year? I've got decent starters, but I won't be competing for the championship this year.

And for the record, Fitzpatrick and Jones were FA pickups... pure desparation after drafting a young team and then lost most of my starters for bits of time.
GDF3
K- Cundiff, Novak

pvballer3915
Captain
Captain

Postby pvballer3915 » Sun May 10, 2009 8:36 am

DEF pick up garcia and lee higgins. There value is much greater than matt jones and fitzpatrick. Higgins is the only wr in oak besides DHB, and garcia will start in oakland if jamarcus cant find his way! Hillis and hester have no value IMO. Denver has a bunch of rbs right now and they didnt draft moreno just for hillis to be the 3rd downman. Hes a fullback! And hester may have some kinda value but i think LT will bounce back from an avg year. And will take the goal line carries

yumbo
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby yumbo » Sun May 10, 2009 8:49 am

Fitzpatrick intrigues me a little, Schaub cannot stay healthy for a whole season, and if he goes down again i can see Fitzpatrick being able to do some damage much the way that Rosenfels did.

Fitz showed he was capable of playing last season in Cinci with NO talent, he would have plenty of talent to work with in Houston. IMO

You may have been born and bred in old Kentucky, but you're just a crumb up here! TM 3 Stooges

pvballer3915
Captain
Captain

Postby pvballer3915 » Sun May 10, 2009 8:53 am

yumbo wrote:Fitzpatrick intrigues me a little, Schaub cannot stay healthy for a whole season, and if he goes down again i can see Fitzpatrick being able to do some damage much the way that Rosenfels did.

Fitz showed he was capable of playing last season in Cinci with NO talent, he would have plenty of talent to work with in Houston. IMO
Yumbo, NO TALENT? the man had no RB but at wr he had TJ and CJ!!!! They are both unbelievable p[layers and he didnt know how to use them. With fitzpatrick, ocho cinco had the worst season of his life. That wont happen again. They also had kelly come back at the end. He is just a scrub! and hen at the end he got benson and helped alot