GOAT
GOAT

Re: Puka Nacua

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue May 21, 2024 9:14 am

Shcritters wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 8:30 am
Cameron Giles wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 6:41 am
killer_of_giants wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 5:57 am

gotcha.
hard to know where the line between player's skill and system is though. and players that can be lined up as the X and get comparable results anywhere are very very few and shouldn't be counted on as the norm. mc vay maximizes his players abilities no doubt, but couldn't make anything of van jefferson.
If not turning Van Jefferson into a good WR is the biggest knock, then that's nothing. McVay has clearly elevated some talents who probably wouldn't have been otherwise.
Someone said it before, but creating the system that maximized Kupp, Puka, and Kyren to stars/near stars is impressive. I'm not trying to knock those players, but it is a great accomplishment as a coach.
Exactly. I'm not saying it to paint a picture that these players suck, and didn't put in their own work. But, it's worth keeping in mind, especially with so many people chasing "the next Puka".

Sean McVay has elevated a WR into winning the triple crown, a WR into breaking the all-time rookie receiving record, and taken the corpse of Robert Woods and made him into a consecutive 1100+ yard WR. It's absolutely ridiculous.

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Tue May 21, 2024 9:21 am

i don't think anyone is debating whether mcvay is good or not really.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue May 21, 2024 9:26 am

killer_of_giants wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 9:21 am i don't think anyone is debating whether mcvay is good or not really.
Well, that's also not the point. But, yeah.

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Tue May 21, 2024 9:51 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 9:26 am
killer_of_giants wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 9:21 am i don't think anyone is debating whether mcvay is good or not really.
looked to me like it was beginning to be, but i must be mistaken...

Cameron Giles wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 6:41 am If not turning Van Jefferson into a good WR is the biggest knock, then that's nothing. McVay has clearly elevated some talents who probably wouldn't have been otherwise.
Shcritters wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 8:30 am Someone said it before, but creating the system that maximized Kupp, Puka, and Kyren to stars/near stars is impressive. I'm not trying to knock those players, but it is a great accomplishment as a coach.
Cameron Giles wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 9:14 am Sean McVay has elevated a WR into winning the triple crown, a WR into breaking the all-time rookie receiving record, and taken the corpse of Robert Woods and made him into a consecutive 1100+ yard WR. It's absolutely ridiculous.

:mrgreen:

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue May 21, 2024 10:12 am

killer_of_giants wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 9:51 am
Cameron Giles wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 9:26 am
looked to me like it was beginning to be, but i must be mistaken...

Cameron Giles wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 6:41 am If not turning Van Jefferson into a good WR is the biggest knock, then that's nothing. McVay has clearly elevated some talents who probably wouldn't have been otherwise.
Shcritters wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 8:30 am Someone said it before, but creating the system that maximized Kupp, Puka, and Kyren to stars/near stars is impressive. I'm not trying to knock those players, but it is a great accomplishment as a coach.
Cameron Giles wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 9:14 am Sean McVay has elevated a WR into winning the triple crown, a WR into breaking the all-time rookie receiving record, and taken the corpse of Robert Woods and made him into a consecutive 1100+ yard WR. It's absolutely ridiculous.
:mrgreen:
Oh yeah, the reason this thread was bumped.

I'm sure everyone knows McVay is a great coach. I'm not sure everyone knows that despite setting the rookie receiving record, Nacua was not that special as a separator last season.

Again, just something to keep in mind as people talk about "the next Puka" and trying to rank him among WRs going forward.

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Tue May 21, 2024 10:29 am

ok then. since you only picked the van jefferson part of my comment, might as well touch on the other two more important (as evidenced by being earlier in the paragraph) points, namely:
- it's hard to determine to what point it's the coach and to what point is the player.
- there are very very few WRs that you can just line up at the X and get comparable results regardless of situation.

nacua is not the greatest separator but he ain't too shabby either and as a sophomore has room to grow. you can also be an excellent WR without being an excellent separator. nacua benefited from a great situation, and is also a great player.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue May 21, 2024 10:52 am

killer_of_giants wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 10:29 am ok then. since you only picked the van jefferson part of my comment, might as well touch on the other two more important (as evidenced by being earlier in the paragraph) points, namely:
- it's hard to determine to what point it's the coach and to what point is the player.
- there are very very few WRs that you can just line up at the X and get comparable results regardless of situation.

nacua is not the greatest separator but he ain't too shabby either and as a sophomore has room to grow. you can also be an excellent WR without being an excellent separator. nacua benefited from a great situation, and is also a great player.
Nacua is going off the board as about a Top-5 WR in startups.

This thread has had a lot of debate about how special Nacua actually is relative to his situation. I think Reception Perception and Open Score have added some much needed context to what he is as a player. I think some would have expected much better numbers in those areas given what he actually accomplished last year, so it's pretty interesting to see these numbers.

I think he is a good player who benefit from a great situation. I think the bold is important, because he's in a tier with a bunch of players who can do exactly that. It's just something to keep in mind as people are figuring out how to value him long-term, and how to find the "next" one of him.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Tue May 21, 2024 11:26 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 10:52 am
killer_of_giants wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 10:29 am ok then. since you only picked the van jefferson part of my comment, might as well touch on the other two more important (as evidenced by being earlier in the paragraph) points, namely:

Nacua is going off the board as about a Top-5 WR in startups.

This thread has had a lot of debate about how special Nacua actually is relative to his situation. I think Reception Perception and Open Score have added some much needed context to what he is as a player. I think some would have expected much better numbers in those areas given what he actually accomplished last year, so it's pretty interesting to see these numbers.

I think he is a good player who benefit from a great situation. I think the bold is important, because he's in a tier with a bunch of players who can do exactly that. It's just something to keep in mind as people are figuring out how to value him long-term, and how to find the "next" one of him.
People should be drafting him because of how safe of a pick he is and not his upside. He very may have well had a career year as a rookie and there’s nothing wrong with that. He doesn’t shine in the areas you describe but he has a knack for being in the right place at the right time and making plays. Some of that just doesn’t show up on a stat sheet. If you’re drafting him top 5 because you think he’ll be a top 5 scorer you’re probably going to be disappointed. But if you’re drafting him top 5 because he’s a young established player with a really high floor, then you’ll probably be very happy.

Kurt G.O.A.T.
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kurt G.O.A.T. » Tue May 21, 2024 1:44 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 9:14 am
Cameron Giles wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 6:41 am

If not turning Van Jefferson into a good WR is the biggest knock, then that's nothing. McVay has clearly elevated some talents who probably wouldn't have been otherwise.
Someone said it before, but creating the system that maximized Kupp, Puka, and Kyren to stars/near stars is impressive. I'm not trying to knock those players, but it is a great accomplishment as a coach.
Exactly. I'm not saying it to paint a picture that these players suck, and didn't put in their own work. But, it's worth keeping in mind, especially with so many people chasing "the next Puka".

Sean McVay has elevated a WR into winning the triple crown, a WR into breaking the all-time rookie receiving record, and taken the corpse of Robert Woods and made him into a consecutive 1100+ yard WR. It's absolutely ridiculous.
the corpse of robert woods? just because the bills used to like to have him blocking all the time doesn't mean he couldn't play.

and what about jerry rice and the wco? does that mean he wasn't as good because of that fancy new offense?

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue May 21, 2024 1:52 pm

Kurt G.O.A.T. wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 1:44 pm

the corpse of robert woods? just because the bills used to like to have him blocking all the time doesn't mean he couldn't play.

and what about jerry rice and the wco? does that mean he wasn't as good because of that fancy new offense?
Woods had done nothing in his first four years to make you think he was going to put up consecutive 1100+ receiving yards once he left Buffalo.

Jerry Rice was drafted in the first round.

Kurt G.O.A.T.
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kurt G.O.A.T. » Tue May 21, 2024 2:05 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 1:52 pm

Woods had done nothing in his first four years to make you think he was going to put up consecutive 1100+ receiving yards once he left Buffalo.

once again, he was blocking most of the time.

why did i think rice was taken in the 3rd round? i must be mixing up players.

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Tue May 21, 2024 2:50 pm

Kurt G.O.A.T. wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 2:05 pm
Cameron Giles wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 1:52 pmWoods had done nothing in his first four years to make you think he was going to put up consecutive 1100+ receiving yards once he left Buffalo.

Terrell Owens? Third round pick (#89) in 1996.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, CWilliams
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JFord, Corum, JWright
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, Q Johnston, DeDouglas, MCorley
TE: Goedert, Okongwo
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, DLloyd; (DE/DL) Sieler; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, Singletary, AJD, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, VJefferson, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

Kurt G.O.A.T.
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kurt G.O.A.T. » Tue May 21, 2024 3:17 pm

Anteaters wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 2:50 pm
Cameron Giles wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 1:52 pmWoods had done nothing in his first four years to make you think he was going to put up consecutive 1100+ receiving yards once he left Buffalo.

Terrell Owens? Third round pick (#89) in 1996.
Either that or Joe Montana.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue May 21, 2024 4:06 pm

How many times in the NFL do you see a WR go from being a blocking decoy for four years into a full-on 1100+ yard threat? Woods simply wasn't good and went to the Rams and had a career revival.

Kurt G.O.A.T.
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kurt G.O.A.T. » Tue May 21, 2024 10:01 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 4:06 pm

How many times in the NFL do you see a WR go from being a blocking decoy for four years into a full-on 1100+ yard threat? Woods simply wasn't good and went to the Rams and had a career revival.
The Rams knew because they paid him a hefty sum in free agency and all the idiots in the media were laughing at how much they paid him. After a couple of years it became obvious they got him at a bargain rate.