Is Gibbs a luxury I can’t afford?

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Is Gibbs a luxury I can’t afford?

Postby Prison_Mike » Mon May 20, 2024 5:35 pm

I’ve got Herbert/Chase/Gibbs as my core in a 12tm PPR SF Bestball league, but little else

The team is so devoid of assets that it has pretty much no shot at competing this year. If I hit on ALL my picks, maybe it can compete next year

In such a scenario, would you be selling Gibbs or trying to build around that trio? I’m thinking it would be best to liquidate the RB room altogether (all 2 of them lol)

My team:

Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE(+0.5), 3FLX, 1SF, (20 bench)

QB: Herbert, Brissett, Garropolo, DTR, Wentz
RB: Gibbs, Spears
WR: Chase, Addison, Keenan, Hollywood
TE: Fant, Mayer-(RIP)
Picks: 1.06, 1.09, 2.06, 2.07, 3.06, 4.06

NathanielWegman
Starter
Starter

Re: Is Gibbs a luxury I can’t afford?

Postby NathanielWegman » Mon May 20, 2024 5:54 pm

I would try and move both RBs…don’t move for less than full value but you aren’t going to compete. I’d try to move them both for players and picks this year and next. Next years RB class is projected to be much deeper.

At 1.09 I’d try and snatch up Brooks if he’s available to give you something at the RB position

In round 2, I’d probably take a shot on Vidal as well. You could maybe get him in the 3rd but I’d shoot my shot with my last pick in round 2

kellysheroes
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby kellysheroes » Mon May 20, 2024 6:32 pm

your not going to really compete THIS YR, but Gibbs has about 6 years of elite production so unless your are getting an overpay I would hold and just load up with your current picks

NathanielWegman
Starter
Starter

Postby NathanielWegman » Mon May 20, 2024 6:35 pm

I’d be using Gybbs to try and get up in the draft for a shot at CW, and to a lesser extend JD

Or if you feel Maye or JJM falls to you at 6, then I’d abort that scenario.

Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Prison_Mike » Mon May 20, 2024 6:44 pm

NathanielWegman wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 6:35 pm I’d be using Gybbs to try and get up in the draft for a shot at CW, and to a lesser extend JD

No chance I’m getting up to 1 for Caleb unfortunately

Looking at the board, I don’t even think Maye makes it to me at 6

My buddy has a solid squad but is lacking at RB and sits @ 1.04. We could build a trade around that

That might be my best solution. We could help each other out and I could come away with 2 of Jayden/Nabers/Odunze/Maye + whatever falls to me @ 1.09

NathanielWegman
Starter
Starter

Postby NathanielWegman » Mon May 20, 2024 6:58 pm

Prison_Mike wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 6:44 pm
NathanielWegman wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 6:35 pm I’d be using Gybbs to try and get up in the draft for a shot at CW, and to a lesser extend JD

No chance I’m getting up to 1 for Caleb unfortunately

Looking at the board, I don’t even think Maye makes it to me at 6

My buddy has a solid squad but is lacking at RB and sits @ 1.04. We could build a trade around that

That might be my best solution. We could help each other out and I could come away with 2 of Jayden/Nabers/Odunze/Maye + whatever falls to me @ 1.09
If you could get the 1.04, a 25 1st & a little something extra I’d probably make that deal…When your a ways from competing, RBs are the first players I try to move.

BabyChark23
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby BabyChark23 » Mon May 20, 2024 7:06 pm

I’d try to move Gibbs. People think he’s gonna be an elite stud for years right now, but it rarely works out that way. Barkley, legendary rookie season, then hampered by injuries. Similar story with CMC. Then JT. The story just plays out over and over on repeat. I always try to cash out if I find myself with a RB valued in the top 3-5 at the position. Usually, I can tier down to someone who will give me 80% of the production and add a nice haul on top.

I’d hold Spears and hope he pops early so you can move him in season. His value is down a bit since the Pollard signing.

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Tue May 21, 2024 3:01 am

BabyChark23 wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 7:06 pm I’d try to move Gibbs. People think he’s gonna be an elite stud for years right now, but it rarely works out that way. Barkley, legendary rookie season, then hampered by injuries. Similar story with CMC. Then JT. The story just plays out over and over on repeat. I always try to cash out if I find myself with a RB valued in the top 3-5 at the position. Usually, I can tier down to someone who will give me 80% of the production and add a nice haul on top.

I’d hold Spears and hope he pops early so you can move him in season. His value is down a bit since the Pollard signing.
This.

Side note - I'm buying on Spears still. We have no idea what the Titans are going to do. The only argument favoring Pollard is the contract. To my eye Spears looked better last year than Pollard (or D.Henry for that matter). Even on limited snaps he was top-12 in RB receptions as well. There's a lot to like about Spears.

BigBawseRoss
GOAT
GOAT

Postby BigBawseRoss » Tue May 21, 2024 6:27 am

i wouldnt panic. you may indeed hit on all your picks, i had a team last year that didnt pick till 2.11 and landed levis rice reed dell and puka. believe in yourself!!! but for real you have no reason to hurry up and trade you got lots of picks and would prob be better off targeting someone with multiple 25s if you cant easily see a deal for now
team 1
12 team, 1 pt for 4 rec, 0.1 per rush
1qb, 3 rb, 4 wr, te, k, 4 idp
Dak , Herbert
Achane, Breece Hall, KW3Kyren,Ford, Miller, Spiller, z evans, singletary
J Jefferson, Diggs, DK, D Smith Puka, C Watson, E Moore
Njoku , HH, Engram

2024 picks
1,3,4,5,5,6,7 (all late mostly)

team 2
12 team .5ppr
qb, 2 rb, 2 wr, te, flx,flx,
Fields, Dak
Ford,Mixon, Javonte, Mostert, Chubb, Spears
Hopkins, Evans, g Wilson Mingo, shaheed, Jamo
Kelce,McBride, Chig,

team 3
14 team sf, even scoring idp to offense (rb scores highly too)
Josh Allen, A Rich, Foles, Rudolph
Bijan, Charbs, Spears, Ebner
J Williams, G Wilson, C Watson, Flowers, J Addison, Tillman
Kincaid, Kolar, Ruckert, Fergeson

Kenny Clark, josh allen, jaelen phillips, felix a-u and a bunch of fluff and rookie fliers at idp

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Tue May 21, 2024 9:00 am

kellysheroes wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 6:32 pm but Gibbs has about 6 years of elite production
whoa! that looks like a bit of an overstatement.

Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Prison_Mike » Tue May 21, 2024 9:38 am

BigBawseRoss wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 6:27 am i wouldnt panic. you may indeed hit on all your picks, i had a team last year that didnt pick till 2.11 and landed levis rice reed dell and puka. believe in yourself!!! but for real you have no reason to hurry up and trade you got lots of picks and would prob be better off targeting someone with multiple 25s if you cant easily see a deal for now
Appreciate that

You nailed those picks. I believe, but I also want to be realistic about the probability of hitting on everything. I've had trouble getting trades done in this league, so it does put a bit more pressure on the picks for me.

I agree with others that I'll hold Spears for now, same with Keenan as I imagine he'll be worth more when he's putting up numbers in-season.

I think selling Gibbs for 1.04+ makes sense, but I don't think I'm getting an additional 1st on top of that @NathanielWegman. This year's 1.04 itself is probably worth 1.5-2 1sts, since you're getting Daniels/Nabers at that pick. And no one is paying 2.5-3 firsts worth of value for Gibbs

I'm also hesitant to sell him for the 1.04 straight up because that would be a hell of a player (top-24 asset) to lose if you miss on that pick.

He has 1.04, 2.04, '25 1st/2nd (mid/late), JSN - My guess is he doesn't want to give up any players because he's not super deep. I might be able to construct a deal where I give some things back (Keenan, Fant might be of interest)

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Thu May 23, 2024 12:08 am

BabyChark23 wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 7:06 pm I’d try to move Gibbs. People think he’s gonna be an elite stud for years right now, but it rarely works out that way. Barkley, legendary rookie season, then hampered by injuries. Similar story with CMC. Then JT. The story just plays out over and over on repeat. I always try to cash out if I find myself with a RB valued in the top 3-5 at the position. Usually, I can tier down to someone who will give me 80% of the production and add a nice haul on top.

Amen

Just throwing some ideas out there:

Offer Gibbs for G Wilson? London plus? Waddle? Kincaid plus?
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, J Daniels, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/G WILSON/D ADAMS/DK, Pittman, Flowers, Evans, Pearsoll
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/COUSINS, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
LAPORTA/KELCE/KITTLE
/
TEAM C - 32T (2 copy), 1QB, TEP
TUA, J Daniels
KAMARA, J Brooks, Monty, Mattison
JJ/DK/GODWIN/K ALLEN, Kirk, J Meyers, Polk, Wandale
KITTLE, Goedert, Higbee
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE, Pollard
CHASE/G WILSON/AIYUK/DJM, Nabers, Pittman, Diggs, Polk
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/BREECE, Pollard
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert
/
TEAM F - 12T, SF & TEP
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

kellysheroes
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby kellysheroes » Thu May 23, 2024 3:30 am

killer_of_giants wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 9:00 am
kellysheroes wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 6:32 pm but Gibbs has about 6 years of elite production
2nd yr
22 yrs old
On one of the best offenses in the NFL
Passed the Eyeball test
His RBBC leaves next yr
Already had an RB10 finish
what RB would you want more than Gibbs in dynasty

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Thu May 23, 2024 3:38 am

kellysheroes wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 3:30 am
2nd yr
22 yrs old
Passed the Eyeball test
His RBBC leaves next yr
It can be simultaneously true that he's a top option at RB and won't have six more years of elite production.

kellysheroes
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby kellysheroes » Thu May 23, 2024 4:22 am

tstafford wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 3:38 am
kellysheroes wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 3:30 am

2nd yr
22 yrs old
Passed the Eyeball test
His RBBC leaves next yr
It can be simultaneously true that he's a top option at RB and won't have six more years of elite production.
Well, I guess you can say that about every player in the league... if MHJ tears his ACL multiple times in a row then his elite status is gone too. But IMHO Gibbs is a stud and based on his talent he should remain high in RB rankings for yrs