Why Rome Odunze is the WR2 in the class

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Why Rome Odunze is the WR2 in the class

Postby Jigga94 » Tue May 14, 2024 9:13 am

So now we're nitpicking select players from each conference to prove a point? Might be worse than nitpicking stats without context :lol:

I tend to look at how players perform against top teams and not solely by what conference they played in.

mgscott
Starter
Starter

Postby mgscott » Tue May 14, 2024 9:27 am

gogobradyarm wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 8:55 am
MacDaddy123 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 8:37 pm
gogobradyarm wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 5:39 pm
They say 73.6% of stats are made up :). I'm joking, but I play dynasty like the stock market, and it's worked well for me. Not all the time, but my team is a perennial favorite and I usually have a couple extra firsts from making numerous value trades during the season and acquiring injured players.

That said, I fully agree, if you miss out on Odunze this draft, you're not going to get a discount next year when Keenan Allen is a free agent and we're entering year 2 of Caleb Williams. I don't think I could live with my dynasty self, if I took Nabers over Odunze, based on general consensus that Nabers is the #2. I just see a more well rounded player in Odunze with a high ceiling.

Another thought, when AJB came out, I was super high on him in the pre draft process. When the Titans drafted him, Consensus dropped him due to a bad landing spot even though he was regarded as one of the most well rounded WR's and a great route runner. I also had Justin Jefferson as being a very high floor player with good size, excellent route running, and well rounded. I can't help but follow my intuition, and feel that Odunze is the next great WR that falls (to 1.03 lol) given the other players/situation in the draft. I can understand it, MHJ is a stud in his own right, as should Naber be, but when I watch Nabers, I don't get the tinglies...that all Odunze.
I feel the same way, just reversed.
Let me ask you this: when watching college football games, do you consider the competition level?
Are you an SEC hater?

I ask because to me, the SEC competition level is MUCH higher than PAC12 competition level.
Nabers is going against top level CB's, while Odunze is not.

I mean we all know what kind of WR's LSU has produced, Jefferson, Chase, OBJ, Landry, etc.
LSU has the #1 QB and WR recruits in the country in their 2025 incoming class.

Here is the best WR's in Washington history: https://www.ranker.com/list/best-washin ... e-football

I'm sure that Odunze will be the new #1 on this list, and I like Odunze, I bought a couple shares of him at 1.06 and 1.08.
I'm just not sure how anyone who watches college football, and is totally honest about competition levels can get tingly watching PAC12 games. A conference so bad, so weak, that it is now basically defunct.

It's not just the WR's I question from the PAC12, it's everyone.
Even top lineman like Latu and Fuaga, because basically, they are not playing against guys who will be playing on Sundays.
I'm sure that Washington has faced better competition than North Dakota State, but they weren't facing SEC or even Big 10 level competition. Those are the guys they will be seeing on Sundays.

Just looking at DB's who were picked on the first 2 days of the NFL Draft (3 rounds), 7 were from the SEC, 5 from the Big 10, 4 from ACC, 2 from PAC12, and 1 from Toledo.

I'm just saying, when I watch college games, I take competition level into consideration.
Odunze is a stud, but it's a lot easier to look good against weaker competition.
Nabers was often going against linebackers and safeties, not top corners of the SEC. 60+% of his yardage came from the slot which dictated who was covering him. Not all bad, could translate, but I want an X that can play the other roles.

For fun, Odunze vs Top 25 teams in 2023

Michigan: 5/87
Texas: 6/125
Oregon: 8/102
Oregon State: 7/120/2
Utah: 3/111/2
USC: 5/82
Oregon: 8/128

Furthermore, Jerry Jeudy, Jameson Williams, Laquon Treadwell all played in the SEC…

Non SEC players: Cooper Kupp, Amon St Brown, Calvin Johnson, Antonio Brown, Davante Adams, Stefon Diggs, Ceedee Lamb, Tyreek Hill, Aiyuk.

Obviously, plenty of great players from the SEC, my point is that I could care less about SEC vs Non SEC.
From this list, only Michigan had a top 50 pass defense, so maybe just as misleading as saying an SEC WR playing a lot of time in the slot is going against top SEC corners.

Bronco Billy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Tue May 14, 2024 9:37 am

mgscott wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 9:27 am

Let me ask you this: when watching college football games, do you consider the competition level?
Are you an SEC hater?

I ask because to me, the SEC competition level is MUCH higher than PAC12 competition level.

I mean we all know what kind of WR's LSU has produced, Jefferson, Chase, OBJ, Landry, etc.

Here is the best WR's in Washington history: https://www.ranker.com/list/best-washin ... e-football

I'm sure that Odunze will be the new #1 on this list, and I like Odunze, I bought a couple shares of him at 1.06 and 1.08.
I'm just not sure how anyone who watches college football, and is totally honest about competition levels can get tingly watching PAC12 games. A conference so bad, so weak, that it is now basically defunct.

Even top lineman like Latu and Fuaga, because basically, they are not playing against guys who will be playing on Sundays.
I'm sure that Washington has faced better competition than North Dakota State, but they weren't facing SEC or even Big 10 level competition. Those are the guys they will be seeing on Sundays.

Just looking at DB's who were picked on the first 2 days of the NFL Draft (3 rounds), 7 were from the SEC, 5 from the Big 10, 4 from ACC, 2 from PAC12, and 1 from Toledo.

I'm just saying, when I watch college games, I take competition level into consideration.
Odunze is a stud, but it's a lot easier to look good against weaker competition.
Nabers was often going against linebackers and safeties, not top corners of the SEC. 60+% of his yardage came from the slot which dictated who was covering him. Not all bad, could translate, but I want an X that can play the other roles.

Furthermore, Jerry Jeudy, Jameson Williams, Laquon Treadwell all played in the SEC…

Non SEC players: Cooper Kupp, Amon St Brown, Calvin Johnson, Antonio Brown, Davante Adams, Stefon Diggs, Ceedee Lamb, Tyreek Hill, Aiyuk.

Obviously, plenty of great players from the SEC, my point is that I could care less about SEC vs Non SEC.
From this list, only Michigan had a top 50 pass defense, so maybe just as misleading as saying an SEC WR playing a lot of time in the slot is going against top SEC corners.
If you doing any film study, something remarkable to note is how badly SEC coverage capabilities have deteriorated over the past decade. Aside from UGA, SEC Ds ain’t near what they used to be.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Tue May 14, 2024 9:42 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 9:37 am

If you doing any film study, something remarkable to note is how badly SEC coverage capabilities have deteriorated over the past decade. Aside from UGA, SEC Ds ain’t near what they used to be.
Anecdotal evidence, but I remember laughing at Bamas secondary being out of position so often against a WR I was watching

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Tue May 14, 2024 9:44 am

Even in conferences that "have good Ds" that doesn't mean that the CBs are good. If you want to pull stats like this, pull stats where a WR faced NFL drafted CBs. Odunze, Nabers, any WR.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Tue May 14, 2024 10:04 am

Lumps wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 9:44 am Even in conferences that "have good Ds" that doesn't mean that the CBs are good. If you want to pull stats like this, pull stats where a WR faced NFL drafted CBs. Odunze, Nabers, any WR.
Right. That good defense probably played crap teams for 90% of the year. It's largely irrelevant

mgscott
Starter
Starter

Postby mgscott » Tue May 14, 2024 10:50 am

I would certainly agree with that.

Tha Guru
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Tha Guru » Tue May 14, 2024 11:30 am

What did Rome's numbers look like as a 20 year old as that is Nabors age during last season?

blemly
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby blemly » Tue May 14, 2024 11:53 am

Jigga94 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 9:42 am

Anecdotal evidence, but I remember laughing at Bamas secondary being out of position so often against a WR I was watching
They famously gave up 6/207/5 to Jalin Hyatt in a single game in 2022. They were atrocious.
Team 1 (Rebuild ): 12-tm SF 0.5PPR/1.0PP1D
QB: Williams, Young, Tannehill
RB: Herbert, Akers, Gibson, Wilson, Abanikanda
WR: MHJ, Nabers, Flowers, Pickens, Dotson, Downs, Chark, Boyd, Douglas
TE: Knox
Picks: 3 ‘25 1s, 4 ‘25 2s, ‘25 3

Team 2: 14-tm SF PPR/1.5TEP
QB: Burrow, Wilson, Lance
RB: JT, Mixon, Pollard, Laube, Guerendo, Hill, Patterson, Hines
WR: Hill, Cooper, DK, DJM, D. Samuel, Sutton
TE: Freiermuth, Gesicki, Hudson
Picks: ‘25 3rd, ‘25 4th

Team 3 10-tm SF PPR
QB: Mahomes, Dak, Watson, Jones
RB: JT, AK, Jacobs, Brooks, Benson, Zeke, Singletary
WR: AJB, Diggs, Allen, Cooper, Wilson, Kirk, Sutton, Williams, Bateman, E. Moore
TE: Goedert, Bowers, Schultz, Granson, Hill

MacDaddy123
MVP
MVP

Postby MacDaddy123 » Tue May 14, 2024 12:53 pm

gogobradyarm wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 5:39 pm
They say 73.6% of stats are made up :). I'm joking, but I play dynasty like the stock market, and it's worked well for me. Not all the time, but my team is a perennial favorite and I usually have a couple extra firsts from making numerous value trades during the season and acquiring injured players.

That said, I fully agree, if you miss out on Odunze this draft, you're not going to get a discount next year when Keenan Allen is a free agent and we're entering year 2 of Caleb Williams. I don't think I could live with my dynasty self, if I took Nabers over Odunze, based on general consensus that Nabers is the #2. I just see a more well rounded player in Odunze with a high ceiling.

Another thought, when AJB came out, I was super high on him in the pre draft process. When the Titans drafted him, Consensus dropped him due to a bad landing spot even though he was regarded as one of the most well rounded WR's and a great route runner. I also had Justin Jefferson as being a very high floor player with good size, excellent route running, and well rounded. I can't help but follow my intuition, and feel that Odunze is the next great WR that falls (to 1.03 lol) given the other players/situation in the draft. I can understand it, MHJ is a stud in his own right, as should Naber be, but when I watch Nabers, I don't get the tinglies...that all Odunze.
Are you an SEC hater?

So I read this as: competition level means nothing to me.

You are acting like Nabers is JSN.

Sure, JSN drew nothing but LB and Safeties in college, because he played the slot with Wilson and Olave on the outside. So JSN not only ran routes against LB and S, but also one on one coverage.

Who was drawing defensive coverage away from Nabers? :lol:
Other SEC defenses putting their top CB's on some LSU freshman WR out wide and covering Nabers with a LB??? :lol:
Listen to yourself man.

It's fine that you like Odunze, but when you have to try to discredit Nabers to make your point, you lose any credibility.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Tue May 14, 2024 1:15 pm

MacDaddy123 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 12:53 pm

Are you an SEC hater?

Sure, JSN drew nothing but LB and Safeties in college, because he played the slot with Wilson and Olave on the outside. So JSN not only ran routes against LB and S, but also one on one coverage.

Other SEC defenses putting their top CB's on some LSU freshman WR out wide and covering Nabers with a LB??? :lol:
Listen to yourself man.

It's fine that you like Odunze, but when you have to try to discredit Nabers to make your point, you lose any credibility.
:biggrin: The reality might be that Nabers is so good some people must think he is faking it.

That said, pretty sure those SEC coaches were not putting LB's on WR's with 4.3 speed. 8-)

Betting against LSU WR's may not be the smartest course of action.....just sayin........
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Menace2010
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Menace2010 » Tue May 14, 2024 1:36 pm

Ice wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 1:15 pm
MacDaddy123 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 12:53 pm

Listen to yourself man.

:biggrin: The reality might be that Nabers is so good some people must think he is faking it.

That said, pretty sure those SEC coaches were not putting LB's on WR's with 4.3 speed. 8-)

Betting against LSU WR's may not be the smartest course of action.....just sayin........
These are Brian Thomas Jr. appreciation posts...

81-
Captain
Captain

Postby 81- » Tue May 14, 2024 3:26 pm

love who you want... i have no shot at any of them... but i will say this as it relates to Nabors.

i was watching some youtube video that claimed to be every pass he was targeted on last year. i lost count of how many times he was uncovered or allowed to run through and get behind a zone. it was unbelievable. He looked fine from what i saw. I'd slot him behind Marvin, and that is all that really matters to me at this point

need to watch Rome... well.. really need to watch those that are at my draft level.
12 Team, 1QB, 3WR, 2RB, 1TE, 1Flex, D, K, 10 Bench
1PPR, 0.5 point per carry.
Burrow, Richardson
AJ Brown, DJMoore, G Wilson, T Higgens, Sutton, Tillman, Melton
King Henry, Bijan, Pacheco, Mixon, Ford, JK
Hockenson, Musgrave
Random Kicker
Niners

Picks in 2024 - #15, #22, #23, #27

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Tue May 14, 2024 3:46 pm

I'm just happy that in my 2 drafts where I had access to them, I got Odunze in 1 league & Nabers in the next. Spread the risk, spread the reward.

MacDaddy123
MVP
MVP

Postby MacDaddy123 » Tue May 14, 2024 4:12 pm

jordanzs wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 3:46 pm I'm just happy that in my 2 drafts where I had access to them, I got Odunze in 1 league & Nabers in the next. Spread the risk, spread the reward.
Agreed. I have 3 Nabers shares and 2 Odunze shares, of course they were at different values though.
Nabers at 1.02/1.03/1.05 and Odunze at 1.06/1.08

The next tier is where I more spread the risk, spread the reward, as I have 1 share each of Worthy, Brian Thomas Jr., and Ladd McConkey.