Why Rome Odunze is the WR2 in the class

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Why Rome Odunze is the WR2 in the class

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat May 11, 2024 6:35 pm

blemly wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 6:11 pm
gogobradyarm wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 9:28 am I have 1.02 in my 1QB league, and i'm going Rome Odunze and I think you should too if you're on the fence between Rome and Malik. I feel Rome has a lower risk profile and both a higher ceiling and floor as a WR that can do it all. Here is my comparison of the two...

Odunze
  • A true X, and can line up all over the field
  • Shreds press coverage
  • Physically imposing/contested catch guru (Adams/Hopkins level)
  • Good YAC
  • Excellent hands
  • Prototypical WR build
  • Good character
  • Locked into playing with Caleb Williams and chemistry is apparent, and will learn from two great WR's
  • Player Comp: If Davante Adams and DeAndre Hopkins had a baby

Nabers
  • Bonified slot WR
  • Incredible agility/speed (Tyreek like)
  • YPRR monster
  • LSU's all time receiving leader!
  • YAC Monster
  • Struggles with press coverage
  • Benefited greatly from deep slot targets
  • ~30% of production against safeties/linebackers
  • Modern WR build
  • Questionable character (arrested for bringing a gun to Mardi gras, made a bet publically known at NFL level...)
  • Locked into playing with whoever New York rolls out on Sundays, which is not looking great...will not have a great mentor WR in New York, and is in a huge market with lots of distractions
  • Player Comp: If Tyreek Hill and Percy Harvin had a baby

My Take: I feel these two are close, but I much prefer Odunze stylistically and feel he has a higher floor/higher ceiling and zero off-field concerns. I'm excited for them both, but Odunze seems to be the full package. Also, if it wasn't clear, MHJ is the clear WR1 in this class for me. So yes, i've planted my flag...I hope for some civil conversation to follow :)
I like the write up a lot. If I am picking nits, it is that Nabers is not really a pure slot. He ran out of every position at LSU.
Agreed, that stuck out to me too, and he's super explosive, 99th percentile. Not going to waste that on the inside all game. He's very versatile.

The other nit I'd pick, is this. I know it's 2024 and all, but this doesn't seem possible/logical, even in theory. :lol: :lol:
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Well done steak goes in the trash.

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

gogobradyarm
All Pro
All Pro

Postby gogobradyarm » Sat May 11, 2024 6:44 pm

gogobradyarm wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 9:28 am I have 1.02 in my 1QB league, and i'm going Rome Odunze and I think you should too if you're on the fence between Rome and Malik. I feel Rome has a lower risk profile and both a higher ceiling and floor as a WR that can do it all. Here is my comparison of the two...

Odunze
  • Shreds press coverage
  • Good YAC
  • Excellent hands
  • Prototypical WR build
  • Good character
  • Locked into playing with Caleb Williams and chemistry is apparent, and will learn from two great WR's
Nabers
  • Bonified slot WR
  • YPRR monster
  • YAC Monster
  • Modern WR build
  • Questionable character (arrested for bringing a gun to Mardi gras, made a bet publically known at NFL level...)
  • Locked into playing with whoever New York rolls out on Sundays, which is not looking great...will not have a great mentor WR in New York, and is in a huge market with lots of distractions
My Take: I feel these two are close, but I much prefer Odunze stylistically and feel he has a higher floor/higher ceiling and zero off-field concerns. I'm excited for them both, but Odunze seems to be the full package. Also, if it wasn't clear, MHJ is the clear WR1 in this class for me. So yes, i've planted my flag...I hope for some civil conversation to follow :)
I like the write up a lot. If I am picking nits, it is that Nabers is not really a pure slot. He ran out of every position at LSU.
Thank you. That is true, he is an elite slot with ability to win outside, but I want to see more of him in an X role given his struggle with breaking press coverage. Assuming he learns to use his hands to create seperation at the line instead of getting jammed, he is going to explode.
12 Team - PPR - 30man (2 IR) - 6pt PPTD- 1 QB - 2 RB - 2 WR - 1 Flex - 1 TE
QB: Jalen Hurts, Anthony Richardson, Aidan O'Connell
RB: McCaffrey, Barkley, Pacheco, Jacobs, Zamir White, Jaleel McLaughlin, Zach Evans
WR: AJB, Olave, Aiyuk, London, Diontae Johnson, Rashee Rice, Dotson, Bateman
TE: Mandrews, Pitts, Likely, Mayer

2024: 1.02, 1.11, 3.01
2025: 2x 1st, 2nd
Champ: 2020, 2021
Year 9 of my league

TheTroll
Legend
Legend

Postby TheTroll » Sat May 11, 2024 10:13 pm

gogobradyarm wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 6:44 pm

Odunze
  • Shreds press coverage
  • Good YAC
  • Excellent hands
  • Prototypical WR build
  • Good character
Nabers
  • Bonified slot WR
  • YPRR monster
  • YAC Monster
  • Modern WR build
Thank you. That is true, he is an elite slot with ability to win outside, but I want to see more of him in an X role given his struggle with breaking press coverage. Assuming he learns to use his hands to create seperation at the line instead of getting jammed, he is going to explode.
Had 9 100-yard receiving games, just two shy of the school record of 11 set by Josh Reed in 2001 … Season totals of 89 receptions and 1,569 yards rank No. 3 in LSU single-season history … His 14 TDs rank as the fourth-highest total in school history … Ranks No. 6 in SEC history for receiving yards in a season and No. 7 in league history for career receiving yards … Caught a TD in 9 games …Now I haven’t looked up the definition of struggle lately but…
Team 1
Dynasty 10 team, 22 roster + 6 Taxi, PPR
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 Flex, 1 TE, K, Def

QB: Love, Goff, Fields
RB: Bijan, Montgomery, Kamara, Ford, K Herbert, Zeke, Mattison
WR: Jefferson, Olave, London, Ridley, Sutton, Shaheed
TE: Kincaid, Kittle, Freiermuth
K: Tucker, Sanders
DEF: CLE

Taxi: Charbs, K Mitchell, Demercado, QJ, D Douglas, W Robinson, Hooker

Picks
2024: 1.03, 3.06, 3.09, 4.09
2025: 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Team 2
Dynasty 10 team, 22 man roster + 6 Taxi, PPR, SF and TEP
1QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, 1 S Flex

QB: Allen, Goff, Watson, Jones
RB: K Williams, B Robinson, Chubb, Ford, Mostert, A Gibson, Dillon, Pierce, Zeke
WR: Olave, T Hill, Addison, D Adams, C Watson, D Johnson, G Davis, OBJ
TE: Kincaid, Kmet, Goedert

Taxi: Mitchell, DTR, Mims, K Miller, Douglas, Vaughn

Picks
2024: 1.08, 3.02, 3.09
2025: 1, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Sun May 12, 2024 3:34 am

:thumbup: i love love love this thread!

Informative. Funny. Makes me think. Enthusiastic on all sides. Give and take.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, CWilliams
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JFord, Corum, JWright
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, Q Johnston, DeDouglas, MCorley
TE: Goedert, Okongwo
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, DLloyd; (DE/DL) Sieler; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, Singletary, AJD, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, VJefferson, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

gogobradyarm
All Pro
All Pro

Postby gogobradyarm » Sun May 12, 2024 11:07 am

TheTroll wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 10:13 pm
gogobradyarm wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 6:44 pm

Had 9 100-yard receiving games, just two shy of the school record of 11 set by Josh Reed in 2001 … Season totals of 89 receptions and 1,569 yards rank No. 3 in LSU single-season history … His 14 TDs rank as the fourth-highest total in school history … Ranks No. 6 in SEC history for receiving yards in a season and No. 7 in league history for career receiving yards … Caught a TD in 9 games …Now I haven’t looked up the definition of struggle lately but…
You mean the same Josh Reed that never broke 600 yards receiving in an NFL season? I’m not saying Nabers is bad or will be anything other than good, but Odunze is my preference of the two.
12 Team - PPR - 30man (2 IR) - 6pt PPTD- 1 QB - 2 RB - 2 WR - 1 Flex - 1 TE
QB: Jalen Hurts, Anthony Richardson, Aidan O'Connell
RB: McCaffrey, Barkley, Pacheco, Jacobs, Zamir White, Jaleel McLaughlin, Zach Evans
WR: AJB, Olave, Aiyuk, London, Diontae Johnson, Rashee Rice, Dotson, Bateman
TE: Mandrews, Pitts, Likely, Mayer

2024: 1.02, 1.11, 3.01
2025: 2x 1st, 2nd
Champ: 2020, 2021
Year 9 of my league

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Sun May 12, 2024 11:19 am

TheTroll wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 10:13 pm
The above would be assuming that he was pressed all season long. Which, we know doesn't happen in college. Especially, when he is guarded by inferior athletes and he is as has been stated, explosive.

One of the analysts at PFF have been on him and BTJ about their shoulder shrug attempt to beat press. It seems like they have been coached to do this. Not sure if this will fly at the NFL level. (None of this is to say I think Nabers is bad, in fact I drafted him in devy last year.)
Last edited by Lumps on Mon May 13, 2024 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

DJB
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby DJB » Mon May 13, 2024 2:39 am

I never understood why people immediately started fading Odunze post draft due to landing spot.

I LOVE the landing spot tied to Caleb for his career. Keenan may only last one season and DJ Moore will settle into his WR2 spot where he belongs or they may need to move on for cap reasons.
Follow me on Twitter @NickDynastyff

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Mon May 13, 2024 3:15 am

DJB wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 2:39 am I never understood why people immediately started fading Odunze post draft due to landing spot.

I LOVE the landing spot tied to Caleb for his career. Keenan may only last one season and DJ Moore will settle into his WR2 spot where he belongs or they may need to move on for cap reasons.
Right or wrong - people started fading it because they don't like the outlook for '24. We can sit here today and say it doesn't matter because we are playing dynasty. But I promise you if Odunze doesn't have a productive rookie season his value will slip. A mediocre rookie season seems possible - easy to see how he is rookie WR5 or lower in terms of season long production. I heard a prominent analyst (redraft and dynasty guy) who said "Odunze got JSN'd" with the landing spot. That says it all. Folks have gotten very impatient. Of course the difference here is Odunze is a better prospect than JSN ever was.

To be clear - I'm not saying this is the right way to look at. All I'm saying is that's why people are fading him. (Explanation not excuse). My take - JSN is a buy right now and Odunze will be too if he dips.

FWIW - I'm not waiting on the dip, I'm taking Odunze at 1.05 in SF unless I need a QB.

TheTroll
Legend
Legend

Postby TheTroll » Mon May 13, 2024 3:45 am

tstafford wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 3:15 am
DJB wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 2:39 am I never understood why people immediately started fading Odunze post draft due to landing spot.

Right or wrong - people started fading it because they don't like the outlook for '24. We can sit here today and say it doesn't matter because we are playing dynasty. But I promise you if Odunze doesn't have a productive rookie season his value will slip. A mediocre rookie season seems possible - easy to see how he is rookie WR5 or lower in terms of season long production. I heard a prominent analyst (redraft and dynasty guy) who said "Odunze got JSN'd" with the landing spot. That says it all. Folks have gotten very impatient. Of course the difference here is Odunze is a better prospect than JSN ever was.

To be clear - I'm not saying this is the right way to look at. All I'm saying is that's why people are fading him. (Explanation not excuse). My take - JSN is a buy right now and Odunze will be too if he dips.

FWIW - I'm not waiting on the dip, I'm taking Odunze at 1.05 in SF unless I need a QB.
Remember the good ole days when everyone assumed a 3yr breakout for all WRs?
Team 1
Dynasty 10 team, 22 roster + 6 Taxi, PPR
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 Flex, 1 TE, K, Def

QB: Love, Goff, Fields
RB: Bijan, Montgomery, Kamara, Ford, K Herbert, Zeke, Mattison
WR: Jefferson, Olave, London, Ridley, Sutton, Shaheed
TE: Kincaid, Kittle, Freiermuth
K: Tucker, Sanders
DEF: CLE

Taxi: Charbs, K Mitchell, Demercado, QJ, D Douglas, W Robinson, Hooker

Picks
2024: 1.03, 3.06, 3.09, 4.09
2025: 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Team 2
Dynasty 10 team, 22 man roster + 6 Taxi, PPR, SF and TEP
1QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, 1 S Flex

QB: Allen, Goff, Watson, Jones
RB: K Williams, B Robinson, Chubb, Ford, Mostert, A Gibson, Dillon, Pierce, Zeke
WR: Olave, T Hill, Addison, D Adams, C Watson, D Johnson, G Davis, OBJ
TE: Kincaid, Kmet, Goedert

Taxi: Mitchell, DTR, Mims, K Miller, Douglas, Vaughn

Picks
2024: 1.08, 3.02, 3.09
2025: 1, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon May 13, 2024 6:14 am

Nabers benefited greatly because he is a great talent with incredible speed and can change gears like few in the game.

He can and will play all over the field so if we want to call him a slot or a big lot or whatever, I am buying. He will be a stud year 1.

I like Odunze just fine but he is a tier below the top 2 WR. Odunze shouldn't be discounted because he went to a WR3 landing spot but picking him over Nabers is like believing you actually found the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

Nabers should have 50 more targets this season.

Not sure about the whole Tyreek/Harvin thing but if were going there I would say Jefferson/Chase/Lamb is far better comp for Nabers due to the magic of genetics blended with fantasy. 8-)
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Mon May 13, 2024 6:42 am

TheTroll wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 3:45 amRemember the good ole days when everyone assumed a 3yr breakout for all WRs?
Of the current top15 dynasty WRs, how many broke out before their 3rd year? I haven't run the numbers, but I but at least half broke out in year 1 or 2. Let's say breakout is 1000yds, or a T20WR (total pts or ppg) finish in any given year.

The 3rd year breakout rule is kind of like pumping the gas pedal before starting your car. Generally speaking, it no longer applies.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, CWilliams
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JFord, Corum, JWright
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, Q Johnston, DeDouglas, MCorley
TE: Goedert, Okongwo
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, DLloyd; (DE/DL) Sieler; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, Singletary, AJD, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, VJefferson, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

Bronco Billy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Mon May 13, 2024 7:03 am

Anteaters wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 6:42 am
TheTroll wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 3:45 amRemember the good ole days when everyone assumed a 3yr breakout for all WRs?
Of the current top15 dynasty WRs, how many broke out before their 3rd year? I haven't run the numbers, but I but at least half broke out in year 1 or 2. Let's say breakout is 1000yds, or a T20WR (total pts or ppg) finish in any given year.

The 3rd year breakout rule is kind of like pumping the gas pedal before starting your car. Generally speaking, it no longer applies.
By your definition, 5 of 15 top ppr WRs last season did not meet your breakout criteria. I don’t know about others here, but I’m not willing to discard 1/3rd of that player group because they didn’t meet this artificial threshold.

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Mon May 13, 2024 7:14 am

tstafford wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 3:15 am

Not you (you aren't of the mindset) but this mentality is something I find annoying in fantasy now. We have a whole host of newer players treating dynasty like they've been told to treat the stock market - churn and trade constantly. Doesn't work for 99.999999% of people in the stock market and doesn't in dynasty either. Your teams aren't your "portfolio." Tired of the nonsense.

And unless you play in leagues full of Tacos, you aren't getting Odunze "on the dip." No knowledgeable owner is going to sell Odunze next off season, when he didn't put up a JJ/Chase season due to a crowded room. Especially, when next off season we will start hearing things about how Keenan is out etc. The whole premise of "getting Odunze later" is reliant upon someone being willing to part with them. He isn't a share of stock. There is only 1 of him in your leagues.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon May 13, 2024 7:46 am

Lumps wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 7:14 am Not you (you aren't of the mindset) but this mentality is something I find annoying in fantasy now. We have a whole host of newer players treating dynasty like they've been told to treat the stock market - churn and trade constantly. Doesn't work for 99.999999% of people in the stock market and doesn't in dynasty either. Your teams aren't your "portfolio." Tired of the nonsense.

And unless you play in leagues full of Tacos, you aren't getting Odunze "on the dip." No knowledgeable owner is going to sell Odunze next off season, when he didn't put up a JJ/Chase season due to a crowded room. Especially, when next off season we will start hearing things about how Keenan is out etc. The whole premise of "getting Odunze later" is reliant upon someone being willing to part with them. He isn't a share of stock. There is only 1 of him in your leagues.
This is amazing.

moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Postby moishetreats » Mon May 13, 2024 8:43 am

Lumps wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 7:14 am Not you (you aren't of the mindset) but this mentality is something I find annoying in fantasy now. We have a whole host of newer players treating dynasty like they've been told to treat the stock market - churn and trade constantly. Doesn't work for 99.999999% of people in the stock market and doesn't in dynasty either. Your teams aren't your "portfolio." Tired of the nonsense.

This on SO many levels.

I'll add one more thing: Most people who get Odunze aren't so dumb that they don't realize there's real target competition in Chicago. In other words, if you're buying Odunze now, it's almost assuredly anticipating that he'll start contributing meaningfully in Year 2. So you're now selling him after Year 1 if he doesn't contribute meaningfully. The Year 1 projection was baked into his draft cost.
10 tms 27 plrs PPR
Start: 2QB 2RB 3WR 2TE 2Flex / best ball

QB: Herbert, Love, Rodgers, G Smith, Stidham, T Taylor, Hall
RB: McCaffrey, Mixon, Pacheco, Montgomery, Z White, Allgeier, Dillon
WR: Hill, St. Brown, Kupp, Allen, Lockett, B Johnson
TE: Kelce, Kmet, Kraft, Okonkwo, Dulcich, Tremble

2024: 2.09, 3.07, 3.08, 3.10, 4.08
2025: 2nd (x2), 4th, 5th (x2)
2026: 1st, 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th, 5th

12 tms 22 active plyrs. Salary Cap $300 PPR
Start: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1SF 1Flex / best ball

QB: Love ('24), Rodgers ('24), Stidham ('25), Lock ('25)
RB: Brooks ('27), Wright ('27), Guerendo ('26), Mitchell ('27), Dillon ('24), Rodriguez ('24), Spiller ('24)
WR: G Wilson ('26), AJ Brown ('26), Nabers ('28), Worthy ('28), Polk ('28), Franklin ('28), E Moore ('25), M Thomas ('25), DJ Montgomery ('25)
TE: --
2024 Cap Spent: $201

IR: --
TAXI SQUAD (4 max): Sinnott ('28), All ('28), Schrader ('26), A Reed ('28)