Somewhat early 2024 Draft thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Re: Somewhat early 2024 Draft thread

Postby Anteaters » Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:39 am

tstafford wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:37 am
Anteaters wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:14 am But based on this, I think that not only will 2024 rookie WRs with disappointing (compared to fellow rookies) rookie seasons slide, but they should slide. The biggest surprise to me is that JSN hasn't slid further. He's got that Jeudy-like velcro hold on his rookie value.
He's slid pretty far. Preseason last year he peaked at an overall ADP of #17 and is now #44 in 1QB. He'll drop even further after the rookies land. You could argue that #44 is still too high, but regardless it's a big drop.
I didn't realize he had dropped that far. Although overall 17 was a gross overvaluation at the time.

Where does ADP44 place him among WRs on the ranking you're using? I've mostly seen him around WR18-24, which I think is too high by at least 10 spots.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, CWilliams
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JFord, Corum, JWright
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, Q Johnston, DeDouglas, MCorley
TE: Goedert, Okongwo
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, DLloyd; (DE/DL) Sieler; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, Singletary, AJD, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, VJefferson, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:43 am

Anteaters wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:39 am
tstafford wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:37 am
Anteaters wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:14 am But based on this, I think that not only will 2024 rookie WRs with disappointing (compared to fellow rookies) rookie seasons slide, but they should slide. The biggest surprise to me is that JSN hasn't slid further. He's got that Jeudy-like velcro hold on his rookie value.
He's slid pretty far. Preseason last year he peaked at an overall ADP of #17 and is now #44 in 1QB. He'll drop even further after the rookies land. You could argue that #44 is still too high, but regardless it's a big drop.
I didn't realize he had dropped that far. Although overall 17 was a gross overvaluation at the time.

Where does ADP44 place him among WRs on the ranking you're using? I've mostly seen him around WR18-23, which I think is too high by at least 10 spots.
WR28. Just ahead of Jayden Reed and Diggs. (I'm using DLF ADP - the work that Ryan puts together). Note: I full expect him to drop further after the rookies land. Guys like Thomas and Worthy can for sure jump him. The big three are all significantly ahead of him already.

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:48 am

WR28 is a more palatable spot. Still too high for me, but I'll admit to being ahead of the curve in his devaluation.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, CWilliams
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JFord, Corum, JWright
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, Q Johnston, DeDouglas, MCorley
TE: Goedert, Okongwo
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, DLloyd; (DE/DL) Sieler; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, Singletary, AJD, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, VJefferson, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

Bronco Billy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:19 am

Anteaters wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:39 am I didn't realize he had dropped that far. Although overall 17 was a gross overvaluation at the time.
JSN at 17 is just astounding. Hard to believe so many bought into the ultrahype going on about him.

yinzername
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby yinzername » Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:51 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:19 am
Anteaters wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:39 am I didn't realize he had dropped that far. Although overall 17 was a gross overvaluation at the time.
JSN at 17 is just astounding. Hard to believe so many bought into the ultrahype going on about him.
i feel like just now, and very slowly, the perception of JSN is starting to balance out. I took a lot of downvotes, tirades, and straight up insuilts giving my opinion of JSN in various threads around the socials this off-season. I think guys like JJZ and Harmon who have piped up recently maybe were enough to make people rethink their takelocks. I get it that it stings to cash out at a loss on a guy someone spent a mid-first on. but man people wanted to kill the messanger on my take. I'm out on him at any cost
SF - PPR - 12t - start10
Notable Assets in Rebuild
QB: Mahomes - Caleb Williams - Levis - Rudolph
RB: K Mitchell - J McLaughlin - J Wright - Estime
WR: AJB - Pittman - Odunze - Shaheed - J Burton - R Pearsall - Doubs - E Moore
TE: MAndrews - Bowers - Bellinger - Kraft
‘25: one 1st, two 2nds, three 3rds

2nd year DFF
SF - PPR - 12t - start10
QB: TLaw - Purdy - Goff
RB: Chubb - D Montgomery - D Singletary - J Brooks - K Miller - J Wright - A Mattison - J Hill - W Shipley
WR: CeeDee - Aiyuk - Rice - Godwin - J Reed - J Burton - E Moore
TE: Kittle - Kincaid - Chig

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:56 am

yinzername wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:51 am
i feel like just now, and very slowly, the perception of JSN is starting to balance out. I took a lot of downvotes, tirades, and straight up insuilts giving my opinion of JSN in various threads around the socials this off-season. I think guys like JJZ and Harmon who have piped up recently maybe were enough to make people rethink their takelocks. I get it that it stings to cash out at a loss on a guy someone spent a mid-first on. but man people wanted to kill the messanger on my take. I'm out on him at any cost
I was out last preseason and also didn't get a great response from that take! However at some point, I'm back in. If he continues to drop - which I think he will - I'm buying.

yinzername
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby yinzername » Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:19 am

tstafford wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:56 am

I was out last preseason and also didn't get a great response from that take! However at some point, I'm back in. If he continues to drop - which I think he will - I'm buying.
what price, like straight up player and/or pick, is low enough to take a shot for you?
SF - PPR - 12t - start10

2nd year DFF
SF - PPR - 12t - start10
RB: Chubb - D Montgomery - D Singletary - J Brooks - K Miller - J Wright - A Mattison - J Hill - W Shipley

Bronco Billy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:37 am

yinzername wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:19 am

what price, like straight up player and/or pick, is low enough to take a shot for you?
I think a low 1st to upper 2nd in this year’s draft is probably value appropriate. The problem will be finding a JSN owner who understands the principle of sunk costs. Burning a top 1st rounder for him and taking that hit is going to be too much for some JSN owners to stomach, even with the Lockett news.

yinzername
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby yinzername » Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:53 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:37 am

I think a low 1st to upper 2nd in this year’s draft is probably value appropriate. The problem will be finding a JSN owner who understands the principle of sunk costs. Burning a top 1st rounder for him and taking that hit is going to be too much for some JSN owners to stomach, even with the Lockett news.
I get that this is the cost you would expect to pay if you want to acquire him. My questuion is more to the point that tstafford said he was out, had always been out, but would buy the dip. I want to know when the dip gets low enough for the doubters. I ask purely out of curiosity and becuase I have found the JSN case to be absolutely fascinating and informative for my future DFF process.

for instance, caveat being that I don't want him at all anyway; I think I'd rather throw darts with my 3rds than take a shot on JSN, I'm for sure not giving up any 2nd for him. I have a 3.01, I'm not sending that away for JSN. I have a 3.10, I'd prob pay that price, but I'd feel gross because I've been such a loud anti-JSN stumper for a while now
SF - PPR - 12t - start10

2nd year DFF
SF - PPR - 12t - start10

Bronco Billy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:12 am

yinzername wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:53 am

I get that this is the cost you would expect to pay if you want to acquire him. My questuion is more to the point that tstafford said he was out, had always been out, but would buy the dip. I want to know when the dip gets low enough for the doubters. I ask purely out of curiosity and becuase I have found the JSN case to be absolutely fascinating and informative for my future DFF process.

for instance, caveat being that I don't want him at all anyway; I think I'd rather throw darts with my 3rds than take a shot on JSN, I'm for sure not giving up any 2nd for him. I have a 3.01, I'm not sending that away for JSN. I have a 3.10, I'd prob pay that price, but I'd feel gross because I've been such a loud anti-JSN stumper for a while now
I’d offer up that you’ve got too negative of a bias. There is absolutely FF value in a reliable midrange FF WR2, which is where I see him shaking out. I’d absolutely be willing to trade out a midrange 2nd rounder for JSN and I am hardly an advocate for him. Not being willing to offer up even a high 3rd indicated to me that you think he has no value beyond maybe a flex/bye week filler, because that’s what I’m hoping for beyond rd 2 picks, and if I get more it’s all icing.

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:19 am

If you don't want him at all anyway, then why keep asking what his price tag is? It will never be low enough for you or someone of the same belief.

As far as you feeling like the 3.01 is too much for JSN then you will never have a share. Which seems to be totally fine with you, but I'd much rather send the 3.01 for JSN than draft Ricky Pearsall or some other WR you will be staring at in that range.

Now if you are one that likes to dart throw at RBs in this range and you're already stacked at WR that changes the equation a little. The likelihood you draft a player at 3.01 or later this year having the same value or greater as JSN one year from now is pretty low.

yinzername
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby yinzername » Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:35 am

jenkins.math wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:19 am

If you don't want him at all anyway, then why keep asking what his price tag is? It will never be low enough for you or someone of the same belief.

As far as you feeling like the 3.01 is too much for JSN then you will never have a share. Which seems to be totally fine with you, but I'd much rather send the 3.01 for JSN than draft Ricky Pearsall or some other WR you will be staring at in that range.

Now if you are one that likes to dart throw at RBs in this range and you're already stacked at WR that changes the equation a little. The likelihood you draft a player at 3.01 or later this year having the same value or greater as JSN one year from now is pretty low.
please see the bolded above, re: your question and my answer
SF - PPR - 12t - start10

2nd year DFF
SF - PPR - 12t - start10

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:41 am

I didn't know JSN was in the 24 class

yinzername
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby yinzername » Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:46 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:12 am

I’d offer up that you’ve got too negative of a bias. There is absolutely FF value in a reliable midrange FF WR2, which is where I see him shaking out. I’d absolutely be willing to trade out a midrange 2nd rounder for JSN and I am hardly an advocate for him. Not being willing to offer up even a high 3rd indicated to me that you think he has no value beyond maybe a flex/bye week filler, because that’s what I’m hoping for beyond rd 2 picks, and if I get more it’s all icing.
I do infact believe he will be bye week filler with flex upside at best. Is it a negative view of JSN? Sure. "Too negative a bais"...I don't know, when veiwed thru historical statistical rookie performance lens, he looks like there are zero 1k yard seasons ahead. he looks like a perenial 500 yard 4 td kinda guy. he looks like he will be WR3 forever, after DK and Lockett, it will be DK and stud rookie WR 2026, after that it will be WR3/4 on random AFC East team...in my opinion.

But I appreciate this because it is getting me closer to an answer for my question. Even those who agree that JSN is not the stud first round pick we hoped he'd be (yes, we, I was in on his profile predraft, only didn't get a share because I had no picks in his range) the perceived value from the non-JSN zealots is still mid-2nd. hey maybe I can get him as a piece in a deal and flip him again, never know, but I'm not buying him to plug and play, that's all
SF - PPR - 12t - start10

2nd year DFF
SF - PPR - 12t - start10

trc
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby trc » Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:28 am

yinzername wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:46 am]

I do infact believe he will be bye week filler with flex upside at best. Is it a negative view of JSN? Sure. "Too negative a bais"...I don't know, when veiwed thru historical statistical rookie performance lens, he looks like there are zero 1k yard seasons ahead. he looks like a perenial 500 yard 4 td kinda guy. he looks like he will be WR3 forever, after DK and Lockett, it will be DK and stud rookie WR 2026, after that it will be WR3/4 on random AFC East team...in my opinion.

But I appreciate this because it is getting me closer to an answer for my question. Even those who agree that JSN is not the stud first round pick we hoped he'd be (yes, we, I was in on his profile predraft, only didn't get a share because I had no picks in his range) the perceived value from the non-JSN zealots is still mid-2nd. hey maybe I can get him as a piece in a deal and flip him again, never know, but I'm not buying him to plug and play, that's all
So you think his rookie season was his best career year? Or how is the bolded to be understood?