Somewhat early 2024 Draft thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Re: Somewhat early 2024 Draft thread

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:41 am

JoeJoe88 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:34 am
Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:31 am A break from Bears talk.

Dane Brugler two round mock:

1.01: Caleb Williams - Chicago (QB)
1.02: Drake Maye - Washington (QB)
1.03: Marvin Harrison Jr - New England (WR)
1.04: Malik Nabers - Arizona (WR)
1.05: Brock Bowers - Chargers (TE)
1.06: Rome Odunze - Giants (WR)
1.08: Jayden Daniels - Atlanta (QB)
1.17: Brian Thomas - Jacksonville (WR)
1.19: JJ McCarthy - Rams (QB)
1.29: Keon Coleman - Buffalo (WR)
2.33: Adonai Mitchell - Carolina (WR)
2.34: Bo Nix - New England (QB)
2.43: Ja’Lynn Polk - Atlanta (WR)
2.44: Michael Penix Jr - Las Vegas (QB)
2.49: Ladd McConkey - Cincinnati (WR)
2.54: Troy Franklin - Cleveland (WR)
2.56: Jonathan Brooks - Dallas (RB)
2.57: Xavier Worthy - Tampa Bay (WR)
2.59: Malachi Corley - Houston (WR)
2.60: Ja’Tavion Sanders - Kansas City (TE)

Keep in mind that the logic in the landing spot isn't important right now. Just keep in mind the range of prospects.
How do you not give serious, serious thought to Nabers over Marvin if this were to happen?

I know talent>situation, but where do you draw the line when there’s not a huge gap in the talent anyway?
x2.

And Franklin/Worthy dropping below Polk/McConkey seems off. I think Polk is underrated, but not sure I'm vaulting him up that high.

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:55 am

Keep in mind that the logic in the landing spot isn't important right now. Just keep in mind the range of prospects.
How do you not give serious, serious thought to Nabers over Marvin if this were to happen?

I know talent>situation, but where do you draw the line when there’s not a huge gap in the talent anyway?
I think you could give serious thought to it. The draft capital is similar, the situation is probably better. There's likely not a wrong choice. Sort of reminds me of AJG and Julio. I fully on the AJG side and I guess that turned out sort of wrong but it didn't matter.

Jrblaha
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Jrblaha » Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:16 am

tstafford wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:55 am

I think you could give serious thought to it. The draft capital is similar, the situation is probably better. There's likely not a wrong choice. Sort of reminds me of AJG and Julio. I fully on the AJG side and I guess that turned out sort of wrong but it didn't matter.
This is a great scenario for people like me with pick 1.2, as long as you don’t need to start MHjr right away if he slips to 1.2. I’d probably rather have Nabers tho, if the draft played out like this. But at least I wouldn’t have to second guess my pick, as I take whoever fell to 1.2

As a side note; I’m not moving up from 1.2 to 1.1 if it plays out like this
12 team. PPR. QB pass td = 6
Starters: QB(1) FLEX (RB/WR/TE)(2) RB(2) WR(3) TE(1)

QB: AR, DJones
RB: Gibby, Charb, KMiller, Akers
WR: Chase, Lamb, G Wilson, Tank Dell, Burks, Mimsy, Tutu, W Robinson, Tucker, Wicks, RBell
TE: DNjoku, Hunter Henry

Draft Picks: 2024: 1.2, 1.5, 1.11. 2025: 1st Round (2) 2nd Round (1), 2026: 1st Round (1) 2nd Round (2)

DJB
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby DJB » Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:29 pm

I’ll barf if the Bills draft Coleman round 1.
Follow me on Twitter @NickDynastyff

Pet_Smith
Starter
Starter

Postby Pet_Smith » Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:27 pm

No way raiders take Penix in the 2nd.

Now, wasting their 1st on him seems much more likely.... Sighs.
Dynasty - 9th year, 12-team, Standard scoring, 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2FLEX, 1K, 1DE/DT, 1LB, 1CB/S - 25man roster / 6 Taxi Squad
'17 Champ, '18 Runner Up, '23 rebuild

QB Watson, A Richardson, O' Connel (TS)
RB Gibbs, Akers, Dillon Carter, Bigsby, Chase Brown, Mcintosh, Tucker, Hull (TS)
WR Metcalf, DJ Moore, Addison, Meyers, Van Jefferson, Collins, Claypool, Mingo (TS), Hyatt (TS), Wilson (TS)
TE Higbee, Freirmuth, Otton (TS)
K Joseph
DE/DT Hunter
LB Franklin Simmons
C/S James

1.01, 1.04

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:28 pm

JoeJoe88 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:34 am How do you not give serious, serious thought to Nabers over Marvin if this were to happen?

I read a really awesome post tackling exactly this over on the Dynasty reddit yesterday. With all credit to cjfreel:
I don't really care too much about landing spot when we're talking true Tier 1 capital. Things like top 3 for QB, top 10ish for WR, and First Roundish for RB. I think landing spot should increase the further you get down your list because those are the grades you're less confident in the talent of.

If Nabers goes 6th to the Giants, I would have no problem with anyone ranking him WR1.

He won't be for me. He almost certainly won't be even if he goes 5th to the Chargers which is the most ideal landing spot on that side of the draft.

But I think at certain levels a grade gets so high that you can't fuss about someone taking someone else over them.

--Nabers is one of the youngest players I've evaluated in three years.
--Nabers has ample physical tools
--Nabers was one of the best graded players in CFB
--Nabers had the highest total of explosive plays by far in CFB
--Nabers did this in the SEC, the highest level of Football that exists outside the NFL in the world, sans the upcoming Big 2 Conferences.

Being the 6th Overall pick would put him at tied for the 2nd most Draft Capital spent at WR from 2018 - 2024 (7 years).

That's too high of a grade for me to fuss if someone wants to take him 1.01 honestly in a SF league. Again, this is not something I would even consider. But I'm not going to be the guy standing up and mocking any league mate who takes Nabers under this circumstance.
That line in particular:

"I think landing spot should increase the further you get down your list because those are the grades you're less confident in the talent of."

That's a really sharp way to think of "talent>situation" imo. I hadn't thought about it articulated quite that way before.

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:35 pm

CGW wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:31 am
wickerkat1212 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:16 pm
Sriracha wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:32 pm

The Bears are really going to pass on Mahomes, Stroud and Caleb Williams for Mitch Trubisky and Justin Fields 2x aren't they? :whistle:

Talent evaluators in CHI :thumbsup:
Right? Burn it to the ground. I was not in on Trubisky, ever. I was okay with last year to see what Fields was. If they pass over CW for Fields, IDK...that's...hard to get past.
Would it better or worse than when Maye ends up being the better QB and CW busts, sending the Bears through another three year cycle of suck, fire coach, suck, draft QB, suck, fire coach, repeat?
Right? LOL IDK.
D3:
QB—Allen RB—Kamara, Jacobs, Zamir, Edwards, Ford, Warren WR—Lamb, Olave, DJM, Puka, Jefferson, Tucker TE—Engram, Muth, Washington, Kraft PK—Prater DEF—BAL

D4:
QB—TLaw, JimmyG, Tannehill, AOC, Hall RB—Bijan, Kamara, Conner, BENSON, Gainwell, Gainwell, Foreman, ZMoss, Chandler, McLaughlin WR—Jefferson, Hill, Adams, Allen, POLK, CORLEY, COWING, Tillman, Woods TE—Kelce, Kmet, TJOHNSON, Conklin PK—Butker DEF—PIT

Superflex 1:
QB—Mahomes, Rodgers, Mayfield, RATTLER RB—Bijan, Kamara, Allgeier, Mostert, BRob, ESTIME WR—Chase, DJM, Devonta, MBrown, Lockett, Myers, COWING, MWASHINGTON TE—Kmet, Kraft, SANDERS, Conklin, Hurst PK—Elliott DEF—PHI

Superflex 2:
QB: MAYE, Goff, Cousins, PENIX RB: Bijan, BRob, Zamir, Allgeier, McLaughlin, Hull WR: HARRISON, DJM, Higgins, JSN, BTHOMAS, Downs, RMoore, Atwell, COWING, Reynolds TE: Ferguson, Kraft, Hurst, WILEY, Trautman, Tremble, Dissly, Reiman

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:18 am

Sorry for the non-Bears related topic.

Am I alone in thinking that if Ja'Tavion Sanders lands in a good situation that he could end up as a steal in the middle of the 2nd round in SF rookie drafts? Might be a better investment of rookie draft capital than taking Bowers in the middle of the first.

Assuming he lands well, what's the earliest you would take in in a 12-team, SF, rookie draft?

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:42 am

tstafford wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:18 am Sorry for the non-Bears related topic.

Am I alone in thinking that if Ja'Tavion Sanders lands in a good situation that he could end up as a steal in the middle of the 2nd round in SF rookie drafts? Might be a better investment of rookie draft capital than taking Bowers in the middle of the first.

Assuming he lands well, what's the earliest you would take in in a 12-team, SF, rookie draft?
Non-TE prem? I'd say late 2nd is a fair stab at him location. I personally hope he falls to the 3rd. There enough WR pushing him downward to make him a decent sleeper.

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:26 am

YouMightDieTryin wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:42 am
tstafford wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:18 am Sorry for the non-Bears related topic.

Non-TE prem? I'd say late 2nd is a fair stab at him location. I personally hope he falls to the 3rd. There enough WR pushing him downward to make him a decent sleeper.
Yeah. I generally mean non-TEP. Seems most folks don't play in it. (Although I do)

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:32 am

tstafford wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:26 am
YouMightDieTryin wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:42 am

Yeah. I generally mean non-TEP. Seems most folks don't play in it. (Although I do)
I don't either, but just wanted to clarify before posting an obscure response. Before this year I could see him lasting until the mid 3rd, but after all the success of last years TEs that were grabbed "later" I could see someone thinking lightning will strike twice and grab him earlier than normal too. So to be safe I'd put a late 2nd you'll need. Just going off DLF rankings: McMillian, McConkey, and Corley could leap over him, but at this time it's where I rank him.

hockeyBjj
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby hockeyBjj » Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:17 am

Are there really no tier 1 runningbacks in this draft class?

Not talking Bijan or Barkley generational tier, but like... no Dalvin Cooks? Breece Halls? Leonard Fournettes?
Team 1- 10 team ppr, 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flx, 1D, 1K
Finishes: 6th, 6th, 1st, 5th, 6th, 9th
QB: Lamar Jackson, Purdy
RB: Bijan, Achane, Dobbins, Algier, trash
WR: Nabers, Tank Dell, Addison, Shaheed, Thomas Jr. McConkey, K Coleman, JSN, QJ, S Jameson Williams, Corley, Polk, waiver trash
TE: Hockenson, Juwan, Musgrave, Theo Johnson
D/K: Patriots, Vikings, Saints, Dicker

picks-
2025 1,1,1,1,2,3,4,5
2026- 1,2,2,3,4,5

team 2- 12 team SF, .5PPR, .5TE boost, 1QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
Finishes: 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd :wall:
QB: Ljax, GenoD Jones, Dobbs
RB: CMC, Stevenson, A Jones, Chubb, A Mattison, D cook, Perine, Mckinnon,
WR:Tyreek, Diggs, C Kupp, D Adams, Keenan Allen, Lockett, Gallup, A Lazard, Hodgins
TE: Kelce, LaPorta, Irv Smith,
No picks until 2027

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:26 am

hockeyBjj wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:17 am Are there really no tier 1 runningbacks in this draft class?

Not talking Bijan or Barkley generational tier, but like... no Dalvin Cooks? Breece Halls? Leonard Fournettes?
- PFF had 1 RB in their Top-75 big board (Jonathan Brooks)
- Dane Brugler had 1 RB in his Top-64 mock (Jonathan Brooks) and no RBs in his Top-50 big board.

There's no Bijan or Gibbs or Fournette level RB. There's no Breece or Dalvin Cook level RB. That doesn't mean someone can't become that player. We've seen Aaron Jones become a very good RB out of a 5th round pick, for example. But on paper, it's the weakest RB class in a long time.

The RBs that I keep seeing propped up the most are Jonathan Brooks (Texas), Braelon Allen (Wisconsin), and Trey Benson (Florida State). I've also seem some touting Jaylen Wright (Tennessee).

If you want a potentially talented RB class, you'll have to wait for 2025.

Mike11
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Mike11 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:29 am

One RB is going to go top 50 and sneak into the top 8 in superflex drafts. I have a strong feeling we'll see it happen. Hopefully it's not the second coming of Bishop Sankey.
League Established in 2014

2015 League Champion
2017 League Champion
2018 League Champion
2022 League Champion

10 Team 20 Keeper League Non ppr

Starters in Bold

QB Justin Herbert, Lamar Jackson Aaron Rodgers, Russel Wilson
RB Chubb, JT Javonte Williams, De’Von Achane
Flex Ekeler, Etienne
WR AJB, Stefon Diggs, Jaylen Waddle Mike Williams, Treylon Burks, Amari Rodgers, Nico Collins, Diontae Johnson, Mingo, Burks, Tillman, Batemen
TE TJ Hockenson Higbee Hurst

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:31 am

Mike11 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:29 am One RB is going to go top 50 and sneak into the top 8 in superflex drafts. I have a strong feeling we'll see it happen. Hopefully it's not the second coming of Bishop Sankey.
I'd argue it's a guarantee. People are not going to want to draft WRs over and over again, especially in non-SF leagues. Any RB with Day 2 pedigree could easily be propped up, just because of the lack of supply.