General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Re: PSA: Purdy has now overtaken Lance on KTC

Postby Anteaters » Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:49 am

Prison_Mike wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:13 am
Anteaters wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:45 am
Prison_Mike wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:17 am If you listen to the talking heads, the best QB in SF isn't Purdy OR Lance. It's Sam Darnold...whomst we have 5 years worth of tape/stats to suggest he's not good
Geno had twice as much tape indicating he was not very good. People can improve.

I'm a believer in Darnold. He's never going to be the face of the NFL, but I think he can certainly be an overall QB13 by stats in real world NFL. I can definitely see Darnold leading SF to the playoffs. I can definitely see Darnold signing and starting next year in LAR/TB/ATL/MINN/DEN if their QB situations take a turn for the worse.

If I had Darnold in SF, I'd hold and hope. If I didn't have him, I think it's wise to acquire him at a reasonable price, depending on roster size.
A) Geno had twice the tape? He started 34 games over the 8 years prior to the 2022 season in SEA. Darnold has started 55 games in 5 years

B) Either way, Geno's gotta be an all-time outlier, no?

Not saying guys can't improve. Just surprised by the amount of hype he's been getting with the media. Maybe that's more of a reflection of how messy the SF quarterback situation is than anything else
A is a fair opinion/response. More years, fewer starts.
I guess I was trying to say (and failing in a roundabout way) that I think Darnold has looked better in the "before" part of his career than Geno ever did in his "before" part.

B is very true.

I'm not saying Darnold is likely to become the next reclamation success story. I'm just saying it's a better possibility than a lot of other holds on fantasy rosters. I think Darnold belongs on a roster in every 2QB/SF league with 12 or more teams. I'm not sure most people felt that way about Geno in the 6th year of his career.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, CWilliams
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JFord, Corum, JWright
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, Q Johnston, DeDouglas, MCorley
TE: Goedert, Okongwo
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, DLloyd; (DE/DL) Sieler; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, Singletary, AJD, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, VJefferson, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Prison_Mike » Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:59 am

Anteaters wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:49 am
Anteaters wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:45 am
Geno had twice as much tape indicating he was not very good. People can improve.

I'm a believer in Darnold. He's never going to be the face of the NFL, but I think he can certainly be an overall QB13 by stats in real world NFL. I can definitely see Darnold leading SF to the playoffs. I can definitely see Darnold signing and starting next year in LAR/TB/ATL/MINN/DEN if their QB situations take a turn for the worse.

If I had Darnold in SF, I'd hold and hope. If I didn't have him, I think it's wise to acquire him at a reasonable price, depending on roster size.
A) Geno had twice the tape? He started 34 games over the 8 years prior to the 2022 season in SEA. Darnold has started 55 games in 5 years

Not saying guys can't improve. Just surprised by the amount of hype he's been getting with the media. Maybe that's more of a reflection of how messy the SF quarterback situation is than anything else
A is a fair opinion. More years, fewer starts. I guess I was saying (in a roundabout way) that I think Darnold has looked better in the "before" part of his career than Geno ever did in his "before" part.

B is very true.

I'm not saying Darnold is likely to become the next reclamation success story. I'm just saying it's a better possibility than a lot of other holds on fantasy rosters. I think Darnold belongs on a roster in every 2QB/SF league with 12 or more teams. I'm not sure most people felt that way about Geno in the 6th year of his career.
For Geno it was because he hadn't been a starter for 3 years by year 6 that no one wanted him on their roster. I agree with you entirely that he belongs on a roster in those formats. I'm just skeptical that it's largely (if not entirely) due to the situation he's found himself in. Now maybe he'll make the most of it, and he'll deserve credit for that if he does. Like I said I'm just confused by the level of optimism in the media for a guy who has been one of the worst starters in the league for quite some time

As others have mentioned, Purdy very well may take a step back. But I think he'd need to take a big one in order for Darnold to supplant him

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:02 am

Prison_Mike wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:59 am
Anteaters wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:49 am

A is a fair opinion. More years, fewer starts. I guess I was saying (in a roundabout way) that I think Darnold has looked better in the "before" part of his career than Geno ever did in his "before" part.

B is very true.

For Geno it was because he hadn't been a starter for 3 years by year 6 that no one wanted him on their roster. I agree with you entirely that he belongs on a roster in those formats. I'm just skeptical that it's largely (if not entirely) due to the situation he's found himself in. Now maybe he'll make the most of it, and he'll deserve credit for that if he does. Like I said I'm just confused by the level of optimism in the media for a guy who has been one of the worst starters in the league for quite some time

As others have mentioned, Purdy very well may take a step back. But I think he'd need to take a big one in order for Darnold to supplant him
Agreed.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Well done steak goes in the trash.

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:04 am

Prison_Mike wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:59 amAs others have mentioned, Purdy very well may take a step back. But I think he'd need to take a big one in order for Darnold to supplant him
100% agree I don't see a way other than a Purdy injury that Darnold starts for SF in 2023. I can't imagine Purdy being healthy and playing poorly enough.

But I never thought Darnold was as bad as his worst film looked. I think he just needs the right coach+situation. He seems like a guy who needs a coach as supporter/therapist and who schemes an offense to his talents. He hasn't had that yet.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, CWilliams
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JFord, Corum, JWright
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, Q Johnston, DeDouglas, MCorley
TE: Goedert, Okongwo
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, DLloyd; (DE/DL) Sieler; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, Singletary, AJD, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, VJefferson, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

MFundercover
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby MFundercover » Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:15 am

As for this season, yes, but he would still have to avoid them bringing in somebody else or going the established veteran route in the future. Which is how I see it playing out.

SteveMaddensShoes
Legend
Legend

Postby SteveMaddensShoes » Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:21 am

I was very much in the pro Darnold camp before he went to Carolina. I believed he just never had a chance to develop or thrive in that NYJ situation at the time and was unfairly replaced. Since Carolina thought I’ve cooled on him. He had a better opportunity, not great per se, but enough of a second chance to show enough to remain a starter in the league and he didn’t. So at this point I don’t see him taking over in SF or anywhere else unless injuries force him into action. He might be ahead of Lance in this specific situation but not in a general sense for most teams due to SF being in such a contending situation.
TEAM 1 - 12 man SF. ppr, TEP 1.65 ppr

11 starters - QB, RB(2) WR(3) TE, SF, Flex(3)

Stroud, Kyler, Bryce Young, Anthony Richardson, Minshew, Trey Lance, Dalton l, Mike White

Breece, Achane, AJ Dillon, Justice Hill, Evan Hull, Chris Rodgriquez

Chase, Lamb, Waddle, Olave, London Drake, Demario Davis, Jake Bobo

Kyle Pitts, Mark Andrews, Kincaid, Schoonmaker

24 picks - 1x2, 3,4,5

Team 2-
12 man SF, .25ppc, .5ppr rbs, 1 ppr wr, 1.5 ppr TE

Joe Burrow, Trevor Lawerence, Jake Haehner, Jake Browning

JT, Kendre Miller,, K Ingram, Ty Chandler, Michael Carter, Kenny Macintosh, Sean Tucker

Puka, Rondale, Mooney, Wan’dale, Terrace Marshall, DPJ, Justyn Ross, Xavier Hutchinson,

Kyle Pitts, Luke Musgrave, Juwan Johnson, Darnell Washington, Jelani Woods, Elijah Higgins

24 - 1st x 3, 2nd x 2, 4th x 3 ,5

RoyalPalmer
Role Player
Role Player

Postby RoyalPalmer » Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:31 pm

MFundercover wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:15 am As for this season, yes, but he would still have to avoid them bringing in somebody else or going the established veteran route in the future. Which is how I see it playing out.
With what cap? The QB they bring in would need to be better enough to risk losing quality players from another position. If Purdy gets them into the playoffs again he buys another year. If that happens I think he holds the starting role until he is due for a raise.
12 team, .5PPR, 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2RB/WR/TE, 1 SuperFlex, 25 Total (Startup)
QB: Purdy, Penix, Zach Wilson, Hendon Hooker, Aidan O'Connell, Stetson Bennett, Trubisky
RB: Bijan Robinson, KeAndre Miller, Tank Bigsby, Jordan Mason, Kevin Harris
WR: Malik Nabers, Brian Thomas Jr., Ladd McConkey, Jameson Williams, Rashod Bateman, Khalil Shakir, Michael Wilson, Darnell Mooney, Kadarius Toney, DJ Chark, Slayton
TE LaPorta, Kincaid

2025 1st
2025 2nd
2025 3rd
———

QB: Josh Allen, Goff, Darnold, AOC, Jimmy G
RB: Mixon, Kamara, Javonte Williams, Charbonnet, Prince, Jordon Mason, Ingram (AZ)
WR: Ja'Marr Chase, Keenan Allen, Drake London, Brandon Aiyuk, Elijah Moore, Marvin Jones, Paris Campbell, Donovon Peoples-Jones
TE: Kincaid, Noah Fant, Likely

2024 2nd
2024 3rd

12 team, .5PPR, TE Premium, 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2RB/WR/TE, 1 SuperFlex, 25 Total (Startup)

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Aug 23, 2023 3:18 am

SteveMaddensShoes wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:21 am I was very much in the pro Darnold camp before he went to Carolina. I believed he just never had a chance to develop or thrive in that NYJ situation at the time and was unfairly replaced. Since Carolina thought I’ve cooled on him. He had a better opportunity, not great per se, but enough of a second chance to show enough to remain a starter in the league and he didn’t. So at this point I don’t see him taking over in SF or anywhere else unless injuries force him into action. He might be ahead of Lance in this specific situation but not in a general sense for most teams due to SF being in such a contending situation.
Yeah, Darnold is a backup, that can spell you for a bit, but any long term action, the wheels will almost certainly fall off again.
Janiel Dones Truther

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

SteveMaddensShoes
Legend
Legend

Postby SteveMaddensShoes » Wed Aug 23, 2023 8:27 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 3:18 am
SteveMaddensShoes wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:21 am I was very much in the pro Darnold camp before he went to Carolina. I believed he just never had a chance to develop or thrive in that NYJ situation at the time and was unfairly replaced. Since Carolina thought I’ve cooled on him. He had a better opportunity, not great per se, but enough of a second chance to show enough to remain a starter in the league and he didn’t. So at this point I don’t see him taking over in SF or anywhere else unless injuries force him into action. He might be ahead of Lance in this specific situation but not in a general sense for most teams due to SF being in such a contending situation.
Yeah, Darnold is a backup, that can spell you for a bit, but any long term action, the wheels will almost certainly fall off again.
Agree. Which in my mind makes him the qb2 in SF for this year in this situation but in general, I think most teams would take Lance as their backup to see if he could develop into something. So saying Lance is the qb3 is accurate, but somewhat implies less value to Lance than most qb3 a in the league.
TEAM 1 - 12 man SF. ppr, TEP 1.65 ppr

11 starters - QB, RB(2) WR(3) TE, SF, Flex(3)

Stroud, Kyler, Bryce Young, Anthony Richardson, Minshew, Trey Lance, Dalton l, Mike White

Breece, Achane, AJ Dillon, Justice Hill, Evan Hull, Chris Rodgriquez

Chase, Lamb, Waddle, Olave, London Drake, Demario Davis, Jake Bobo

Kyle Pitts, Mark Andrews, Kincaid, Schoonmaker

24 picks - 1x2, 3,4,5

Team 2-
12 man SF, .25ppc, .5ppr rbs, 1 ppr wr, 1.5 ppr TE

Joe Burrow, Trevor Lawerence, Jake Haehner, Jake Browning

JT, Kendre Miller,, K Ingram, Ty Chandler, Michael Carter, Kenny Macintosh, Sean Tucker

Puka, Rondale, Mooney, Wan’dale, Terrace Marshall, DPJ, Justyn Ross, Xavier Hutchinson,

Kyle Pitts, Luke Musgrave, Juwan Johnson, Darnell Washington, Jelani Woods, Elijah Higgins

24 - 1st x 3, 2nd x 2, 4th x 3 ,5

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:54 am

SteveMaddensShoes wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 8:27 am
Agree. Which in my mind makes him the qb2 in SF for this year in this situation but in general, I think most teams would take Lance as their backup to see if he could develop into something. So saying Lance is the qb3 is accurate, but somewhat implies less value to Lance than most qb3 a in the league.
Darnold is backup, per Rapsheet and Pelissero, according to sources. An absolute disaster for Lance, this off season was. This is likely the high water mark.

https://twitter.com/TheSFNiners/status/ ... 5194256384
Janiel Dones Truther

frerichs5
MVP
MVP

Postby frerichs5 » Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:05 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:54 am

Darnold is backup, per Rapsheet and Pelissero, according to sources. An absolute disaster for Lance, this off season was. This is likely the high water mark.

And Michael Fabiano just said on Sirius radio with this news that he would argue Lance could start for 1/4th of the teams in the league. But then didn’t name any. Lol.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:13 pm

frerichs5 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:05 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:54 am

And Michael Fabiano just said on Sirius radio with this news that he would argue Lance could start for 1/4th of the teams in the league. But then didn’t name any. Lol.
:lol:

Lance's prospects are receding faster than his hairline.
Janiel Dones Truther

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:25 pm

Still trying to understand why Lance is a "good buy low" outside of mentioning how cheap he is.

This is his third year practicing in the system and he can't beat out a journeyman FA QB who's in his first year in the system. Am I really supposed to believe that he can go anywhere and just beat out another similar Darnold-type journeyman or even some random mid-round QB like a Kyle Trask or an Aiden O'Connell?

This feels like a QB who it's not going to happen for. He's going to be holding the clipboard for a while wherever he goes, which I'd argue is even worse for him considering his overall lack of experience playing the position.
Last edited by Cameron Giles on Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NWABCS
Captain
Captain

Postby NWABCS » Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:27 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:25 pm Still trying to understand why Lance is a "good buy low" outside of mentioning how cheap he is.

This is his third year practicing in the system and he can't beat out a journeyman FA QB whose in his first year in the system.

Am I really supposed to believe that he can go anywhere and just beat out another similar Darnold-type journeyman or even some random mid-round QB like a Kyle Trask or an Aiden O'Connell?

This feels like a QB who it's not going to happen for.
To be fair Darnold played better than most think. I'm also a Darnold truther though.

I'd trade Lance for a late 3rd in fantasy. Maybe a conditional 6th in NFL world.
12 team
1/2 PPR
Start: 1QB, 2RB, 1 R/W/T, 3W/T, 1SF, 1K, 1 DEF

QB: Mahomes, Burrow, Lawrence
RB: Bijan Robinson, J. Taylor, Etienne, B. Hall, Roschon Johnson, Najee
WR/TE: J. Jefferson, D. Samuel, AJ Brown, DJ Moore, J. Chase, Waddle, Nico Collins, Rashee Rice
K: Butker
DEF: Bills
2024 picks: 2.11, 3.04, 3.12
2025 picks: two 1sts, two 2nds

12 team
1/2 ppr
Start: 1QB, 2RB, 1R/W/T, 3 W/T, 1SF

QB: Mahomes, Josh Allen, Rodgers, Aidan O'Connell
RB: Javonte Williams, Barkley, Etienne, D. Foreman, N. Harris, Chris Rodriguez, E. Mitchell
WR/TE: DJ Moore, Puca Nacua, DK Metcalf, Waddle, Pittman, Drake London, ARSB, D. Wicks
2024 picks: 1.02 (MHJ), 3.11, 3.12, 4.01, 4.02
2025 picks: three 2nds, 3rd

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:29 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:25 pm Still trying to understand why Lance is a "good buy low" outside of mentioning how cheap he is.

This is his third year practicing in the system and he can't beat out a journeyman FA QB who's in his first year in the system. Am I really supposed to believe that he can go anywhere and just beat out another similar Darnold-type journeyman or even some random mid-round QB like a Kyle Trask or an Aiden O'Connell?

This feels like a QB who it's not going to happen for. He's going to be holding the clipboard for a while wherever he goes, which I'd argue is even worse for him considering his overall lack of experience playing the position.
Agreed.
Janiel Dones Truther