Jalen Hurts: What's the verdict?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
seahawks506
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: Jalen Hurts: What's the verdict?

Postby seahawks506 » Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:51 pm

I feel a little bad for the kid that he didn't get a chance to try a final drive, but I'm really proud of him. He played a really great game tonight on The Big Stage. He made some incredible Pocket Passer throws and he didn't buckle under the pressure, because that's just who he is. He's going to be a really great quarterback for a long time.
orphan rebuild- 3 superflex, nerfed QB scoring 0.5/1/1.5 wr/rb/te PPR
QB: Hurts, Dobbs, Lance, Huntley, Bagent
RB: Swift, Kamara, Sanders, K. Mitchell, Foreman, CEH, Dowdle, Demercado
WR: Lamb, AJB, DK, Hollywood, Jakobi, Lazard, Boyd, Shaheed, Douglas
TE: Chig, Juwan, Conklin, Taysom, Smythe
Picks: 3 2024 2nds

rebuild 2: 1QB PPR
QB: Richardson, Pickett, Mayfield
RB: Achane, E Mitchell, Demercado
WR: Chase, Addison, QJ, J Palmer, Wan'Dale, Claypool, Douglas, Metchie
TE: Kittle, Mayer, Otton, Ferguson
Picks: 3 2024 1sts, 2 2024 2nds

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:35 am

seahawks506 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:51 pm I feel a little bad for the kid that he didn't get a chance to try a final drive, but I'm really proud of him. He played a really great game tonight on The Big Stage. He made some incredible Pocket Passer throws and he didn't buckle under the pressure, because that's just who he is. He's going to be a really great quarterback for a long time.
I for one though KC was pretty sneaky smart for giving Philly "who always scores on the first drive" the ball first assuming Hurts would come out shaky. He did not. Pretty darn impressive showing for Jalen in this one.
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

Forza_Azzurri
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Forza_Azzurri » Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:47 am

The last pass of the game makes me think his shoulder injury was a lot worse than they let on.

frerichs5
MVP
MVP

Postby frerichs5 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:00 am

Forza_Azzurri wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:47 am The last pass of the game makes me think his shoulder injury was a lot worse than they let on.
I’ve seen a few people say this. Not sure I buy it personally though. The touchdown to AJB was about 55 yards in the air and looked good. Not sure what happened on the last one.

cazzie33
All Pro
All Pro

Postby cazzie33 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:43 am

frerichs5 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:00 am
Forza_Azzurri wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:47 am The last pass of the game makes me think his shoulder injury was a lot worse than they let on.
I’ve seen a few people say this. Not sure I buy it personally though. The touchdown to AJB was about 55 yards in the air and looked good. Not sure what happened on the last one.
Happens sometimes ... You squeeze the trigger to try & dial up a little more & you end up getting less. Similar to a pitcher overthrowing & messing up his mechanics.

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:53 am

After he threw that bomb to AJB, Hurts had several running plays where he received very hard hits. It's possible he re-injured his shoulder after that pass. QBs that run the way Hurts runs will routinely suffer these sort of debilitating-but-able-to-play through injuries more often than normal.

I think it would be very interesting to see a throw chart that tracked the air yards of his throws. I wonder if it would reveal a point in the game after which he didn't attempt-or-complete any more deep passes?

But Hurts played a tremendous game. Very impressive in all ways.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, CWilliams
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JFord, Corum, JWright
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, Q Johnston, DeDouglas, MCorley
TE: Goedert, Okongwo
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, DLloyd; (DE/DL) Sieler; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, Singletary, AJD, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, VJefferson, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

MacDaddy123
MVP
MVP

Postby MacDaddy123 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:22 pm

That is what I have been saying the past couple of weeks, as it seemed like the media was totally focused on Mahomes ankle.
Hurts has not been the same QB since coming back from the missed 2 games in weeks 16 and 17 with his shoulder injury.
Hurts did not need to throw much against the Giants or the 49ers, as the run game and defense were all they needed in those games. Hurts did not look good throwing the ball at all in the 2 NFC playoff games.

I am not using that as an excuse, and Hurts game yesterday was by far his best of the 4 games played post injury.
That said, I would not be surprised at all if we are reading about Hurts having a shoulder procedure done in the next month or two.
Last edited by MacDaddy123 on Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:28 pm

MacDaddy123 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:22 pm
Hurts did not look good throwing the ball at all.
He made some pretty amazing tight window throws. I definitely think this statement is a tad heavy handed. The sideline over turned throw to Smith, the pass to Goedert, the Watkins drop. He threw well.
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

mgscott
Starter
Starter

Postby mgscott » Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:11 pm

Pretty sure he stepped on Kelce's foot when he strode forward to throw.

MacDaddy123
MVP
MVP

Postby MacDaddy123 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:17 pm

murphysxm wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:28 pm
MacDaddy123 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:22 pm
Hurts did not look good throwing the ball at all.
He made some pretty amazing tight window throws. I definitely think this statement is a tad heavy handed. The sideline over turned throw to Smith, the pass to Goedert, the Watkins drop. He threw well.
Sorry, it looks like you took that comment out of context.
That comment, "Hurts did not look good throwing the ball at all." was meant to be attached to the way Hurts looked against the Giants and 49ers.

Hence the paragraph break where I went on to say that Hurts looked his best in the Super Bowl SINCE his original injury in week 15.
I cleaned it up a little to clarify.

burntfire
Role Player
Role Player

Postby burntfire » Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:06 pm

I'm here. I doubted Hurts as a QB and thought Tua would be the guy.

I was wrong.

Hurts showed he's more than a RB, more than a gadget player, more than a manager, he's a QB and a DAMN good one at that.
14 Team Super Flex, 1 PPR
QB, 3WR, 2RB, 1TE, 1 Flex, 1 SFlex, 3 IR

QB: Davis Mills, Kenny Pickett, Sam Darnold, Matt Corral
WR: Chris Godwin, A.J Brown, D.K. Metcalf, Jerry Jeudy, Jalen Reagor, Allen Lazard, K.J. Osborn, Skyy Moore, Tutu Atwell, Greg Dortch
RB: Josh Jacobs, Khalil Herbert, Tyson Chandler, Ronald Jones, K Gainwell
TE: Robert Tonyan, David Njoku, Jonnu Smith, Gerald Everett, Jelani Woods
2023: 1.05, 1.08
2024: 1

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:53 pm

burntfire wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:06 pm I'm here. I doubted Hurts as a QB and thought Tua would be the guy.

I was wrong.

Hurts showed he's more than a RB, more than a gadget player, more than a manager, he's a QB and a DAMN good one at that.
Amen. I'm sure we will see plenty more of him to come.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:02 pm

He will get a big bag of well deserved money. That said, it will be an interesting off season for the Eagles with 11 starters being FA's this off season. (8 on Defense).

Wonder if he will do a Mahomes type Brady deal?

Hurts has proven to be Elite no doubt but regardless, the Eagles are going to have a tough time getting back to the dance in 2024 losing both Coordinators and a lot of start quality players.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:00 pm

He lost his footing stepping into the throw. The lack of footing on that field has been a pretty constant talking point post-game. Both teams have made comments to the affect: it was an absolute shambles.
Ice wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:02 pm He will get a big bag of well deserved money. That said, it will be an interesting off season for the Eagles with 11 starters being FA's this off season. (8 on Defense).

Hurts has proven to be Elite no doubt but regardless, the Eagles are going to have a tough time getting back to the dance in 2024 losing both Coordinators and a lot of start quality players.
Interesting angles as always. I would add:

- No team is going to have an "easy" time getting "back to the dance" in 2023/4, but I like Hurts and the Eagles chances more than I do the Cowboys. Still looks like a reasonably depleted NFC at this point. Doubly so if the NFC has lost both Brady and Rodgers.
- I can't help but think that the Eagles Defense just got better by losing Gannon. (My Eagles friends agree) Why even have a high-priced defense if you can't even make one stop in the Superbowl? Andy Reid pulled Gannon's scheme apart with ease, and the vaunted DL completely no-showed. I for one think the Cardinals just made a very bad hire - on the level of the Lions hiring Patricia after just watching the Nick Foles Eagles drop 40+ on his defense.
- One of the big things that limited Hurts' scoring this year was that they often shut him down in the 2nd half of games, as the Eagles were usually riding another blowout. A 1st place schedule AND losing some defensive playmakers... that's actually kind of good, for our Fantasy Purposes...
- ... because as I've been touting, the whole offense is back save for Sanders and potentially Kelce (and the latest is that it sounds like he wants to run it back). Once again Jalen Hurts will get offseason system continuity for only the 2nd time in his career (last year being the first) and will have his first full offseason with AJ Brown. Imagine... could he get -even better-??? :shock:

And lastly, most importantly, most fantasy-tastically:
Our dude Jalen Hurts just had the 2nd most fantasy points of all-time in a Superbowl. He trails Steve Youngs' 1995 record by less than one point. (41.16 to 41.90)

This is what it looks like when a team can take Philly all the way to the hilt for 4 Quarters.

He was (in my opinion) the best player on the field during the Superbowl, and he played like a g-damn beast. There are no questions left to answer in Philly, no more "let's see him in the playoffs, though". The smell of the Tampa game has long since left the building... he's come a loooooong way since then.

Prepare for an offseason of "is this the new Josh Allen?" talk. It's already happening.

dondickenson
Starter
Starter

Postby dondickenson » Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:10 pm

Hurts is obviously a very good fantasy QB and is very steady as a leader. I really like his personality and think he will be successful because of it.

But I was in not so impressed with his passing in the Super Bowl and doubly so the NFC championship game, where he was abysmal. He played so poorly against Niners D that with a healthy Purdy that kept the ball out of his hands more I doubt he would have gotten to even 100 yards passing, even with the Devonta non-catch counting - I mean Hurts only had 121 yards in the air on 25 attempts including that 29yd Devonta catch. To me it was one of the worst performances against the Niners D I watched all season. Bottom 5 at least.

I wonder what happens when, as happens with all rushing QBs, he gets injured or can no longer rely on his legs as he ages. And what happens losing multiple important coaches. And what happens when he signs a big co tract likely after next season and loses probably 2-3 All-Pro/Pro Bowl level teammates on his roster because of it.

And as I posted in the Mahomes thread, 17 straight QBs who lost their Super Bowl debut never again returned to the Super Bowl as a starter.

I doubt he is ever worth more than he is right now. He’s the number one sell at QB in dynasty imo, unless you count finding someone to overpay you for say Lance or Murray or Prescott, which isn’t likely in any good league.