Week 17 Discussion

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: Week 17 Discussion

Postby Pullo Vision » Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:49 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:55 pm
Anteaters wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:38 pm The big difference as I see it is managers can plan for bye weeks.
No they can't, especially in Dynasty. Say you're a fortunate player with Mahomes, Burrow, Chase and Kelce on your SF team and go into the year feeling good, and then the NFL schedule drops and KC and Cincy are on bye week 14. Season practically over right there months before it begins.

You can't have fantasy playoffs during a time period where there are NFL bye weeks. The risk of healthy players being benched is the much "lesser evil" than having players unavailable to byes.
But the schedule is announced months before the schedule starts, giving time to reshuffle the roster, buy depth. No option for that in-season after the trade deadline.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:54 pm

Really curious how that Philly NO game goes. Philly has seen the pick slip from 5th to after 10th. Was almost wondering if Hurts was going to play to secure the first half rout.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:24 am

Pullo Vision wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:49 pm
Anteaters wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:38 pm The big difference as I see it is managers can plan for bye weeks.
No they can't, especially in Dynasty. Say you're a fortunate player with Mahomes, Burrow, Chase and Kelce on your SF team and go into the year feeling good, and then the NFL schedule drops and KC and Cincy are on bye week 14. Season practically over right there months before it begins.

You can't have fantasy playoffs during a time period where there are NFL bye weeks. The risk of healthy players being benched is the much "lesser evil" than having players unavailable to byes.
But the schedule is announced months before the schedule starts, giving time to reshuffle the roster, buy depth. No option for that in-season after the trade deadline.
So what? NFL byes during fantasy playoffs is 100% unacceptable.

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:49 am

No good answer on this one.

Byes during the fantasy playoffs - that's an absolute non-starter IMO. I get the point that in redraft people can plan for that. But not really. You can't plan for week 14 during a draft in August. Or at least you shouldn't have to!

I think we need to see how it goes this weekend and reassess Monday morning. We (myself included) may all be wringing our hands a bit much. Maybe we are just ginning this up and it won't be as bad as we think. The TEN situation was pretty strange - a game that meant absolutely nothing followed by what amounts to a playoff game.

It will require some thinking if any number of meaningful players are surprisingly benched or worse yet pulled early. If that happens I do believe we will need to give real thought to scheduling next year. For now, I think it's wait and see.

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:35 am

tstafford wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:49 am No good answer on this one.

Byes during the fantasy playoffs - that's an absolute non-starter IMO. I get the point that in redraft people can plan for that. But not really. You can't plan for week 14 during a draft in August. Or at least you shouldn't have to!

I think we need to see how it goes this weekend and reassess Monday morning. We (myself included) may all be wringing our hands a bit much. Maybe we are just ginning this up and it won't be as bad as we think. The TEN situation was pretty strange - a game that meant absolutely nothing followed by what amounts to a playoff game.

It will require some thinking if any number of meaningful players are surprisingly benched or worse yet pulled early. If that happens I do believe we will need to give real thought to scheduling next year. For now, I think it's wait and see.
Agreed
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, CWilliams
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JFord, Corum, JWright
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, Q Johnston, DeDouglas, MCorley
TE: Goedert, Okongwo
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, DLloyd; (DE/DL) Sieler; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, Singletary, AJD, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, VJefferson, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Sat Dec 31, 2022 7:49 am

The NFL popularity is largely due to sports betting and fantasy football. If the fantasy football community thinks having a bye week on Week 14, along with NFL players sitting/resting due to a meaningless game on Week 17, I think it is reasonable for the Fantasy Football community to request that the NFL have the bye weeks end week 13.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Sat Dec 31, 2022 8:00 am

I prefer 3 week playoff format starting week 15, but I have a league that does 4 weeks (2 weeks each matchup) that starts week 14 and don't mind it.

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Sat Dec 31, 2022 10:33 am

bjd5211 wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:24 am

So what? NFL byes during fantasy playoffs is 100% unacceptable.
Wasn't suggesting it was acceptable, just pointing out that the season isn't "practically over" due to a bye during the playoffs.

steelman
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby steelman » Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:21 pm

Having to make trades in a dynasty league due to byes is incredibly stupid.
It makes no sense to have bye weeks during playoffs. None whatsoever.
Chances are there's going to be at least 1 star player on a bye. Having a star player unavailable during playoffs due to a bye is the dumbest thing I've ever heard

JoeJoe88
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby JoeJoe88 » Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:28 pm

steelman wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:21 pm

Having to make trades in a dynasty league due to byes is incredibly stupid.
It makes no sense to have bye weeks during playoffs. None whatsoever.
Chances are there's going to be at least 1 star player on a bye. Having a star player unavailable during playoffs due to a bye is the dumbest thing I've ever heard
Agreed. Imagine not being able to use a Mahomes or Allen during the one and done fantasy playoffs because they’re on bye. And if your opponent dodged the bye bullet you’re now at a huge disadvantage for the week. There’s no “preparing” for this scenario, either. You can’t replace that kind of production and even if you could it’s silly to have to make a trade during the year to prepare for a bye week.

Csl312
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Csl312 » Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:05 am

remedy29 wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 7:49 am The NFL popularity is largely due to sports betting and fantasy football. If the fantasy football community thinks having a bye week on Week 14, along with NFL players sitting/resting due to a meaningless game on Week 17, I think it is reasonable for the Fantasy Football community to request that the NFL have the bye weeks end week 13.
No doubt fantasy football is a big driver of nfl popularity. But I think that the majority of fans probably don't play fantasy football. I also think that the NFL has many other factors (most prominent the nflpa) that dictate the schedule and bye weeks. I highly doubt fantasy football players have any power to change the schedule.

Would be nice though!

BabyChark23
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby BabyChark23 » Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:51 am

Csl312 wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:05 am
remedy29 wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 7:49 am The NFL popularity is largely due to sports betting and fantasy football. If the fantasy football community thinks having a bye week on Week 14, along with NFL players sitting/resting due to a meaningless game on Week 17, I think it is reasonable for the Fantasy Football community to request that the NFL have the bye weeks end week 13.
No doubt fantasy football is a big driver of nfl popularity. But I think that the majority of fans probably don't play fantasy football. I also think that the NFL has many other factors (most prominent the nflpa) that dictate the schedule and bye weeks. I highly doubt fantasy football players have any power to change the schedule.

Would be nice though!
We need the institution of the NFFLPA to represent the interests of FF players with the league. I love it!

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Jan 01, 2023 5:10 am

Nah, they know people will eat whatever they are fed. Nobody is willing to pull their money, that's the issue with fans. They just aren't willing to pull their money, they are hooked in, and will let the NFL dictate to them. Fans don't have the discipline to remove the game from their lives, in general. They just eat the higher ticket prices, pay more for jersey's, beer, etc etc. They eat it up and cheer and scream with excitement all the way.

Thursday games suck and it's not good for the players, nobody seems to care, all that much. If they thought the FF community would affect their bottom line, they wouldn't have don the move in the first place.

They told the FF community, we're doing this, deal with it. We didn't see a downturn in FF this year, or last, to my knowledge. Just one more week of games and people talking about it. The NFL knows they have the fan base in the palm of their hands, they'll accept whatever is thrown at them. The fans have never really stood for anything, or pulled their money in any meaningful way. There's not that much conscious organization. Just a mindless rabble, in general. Drink beer, eat food, yell and scream....set your lineups and if you don't like it, don't play....but you will, and they know it.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Well done steak goes in the trash.

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Sun Jan 01, 2023 5:19 am

Get off my lawn :D

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:22 am

Jigga94 wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 5:19 am Get off my lawn :D