When they drafted ETN

After he bought James Robinson in the off-season
The simple, yet correct answer, it seems

cantguardjake
Role Player
Role Player

Re: James Robinson

Postby cantguardjake » Wed May 19, 2021 7:30 pm

The Jags themselves literally went 3-13 in 2016 and then 10-6 in 2017 drafting Fournette in the first, and he was a big part of that season.

The same draft, Panthers 6-10 in 2016 and draft Caff for 11-5 in 2017.

The Browns 0-16 in 2017, draft Chubb in 2018 pick 35 and go 7-1-8 and have now made the playoffs on the back of the run game.

There’s a million examples of early round running backs helping teams (Henry now, Gurley in the rams run etc) - not sure why everyone is so against it. If they’re elite, draft them I don’t see what the big deal is.

Jags had bigger holes to fill but if Etienne is crucial to what they want to bring on offense, meh go for it.

MFundercover
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby MFundercover » Wed May 19, 2021 7:39 pm

I admit it. I was so mad about the pick that I am blinded. The best way to rebuild a team is by drafting a running back early. I used to think drafting a RB in the first round never works out, but it turns out I was so hurt that I couldn't seperate fantasy football from reality.
Last edited by MFundercover on Wed May 19, 2021 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cantguardjake
Role Player
Role Player

Postby cantguardjake » Wed May 19, 2021 7:42 pm

Windows are incredibly short in the NFL (unless you’re the Pats lol), “rebuilding” is overrated.

If you think a player helps you win now, draft them. Plenty of depth available in FA each year at any position.

MFundercover
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby MFundercover » Wed May 19, 2021 8:03 pm

Absolutely right. They went to the AFC championship on the back of Leonard Fournette.

Having the #2 defense, an island CB, and the #2 ranked run blocking offensive line had little to do with it. I used to think that mattered but it turns out I was just pissed about my fantasy football team.

The MAC Machine
Captain
Captain

Postby The MAC Machine » Wed May 19, 2021 8:49 pm

MFundercover wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 6:59 pm
ummm, what? For the 5th time, I'm not coming from an angle that is unfair. Maybe go back and re read what I said? You're still not getting it. I can't point to one time in the modern era where a team drafted a running back in the first round and had him make a bad team turn good. Burning a valuable pick on a position that is historically replaceable in later rounds is not smart business. You want to control the clock? Great. You can do that without spending valuable draft capital. That's all I was ever trying to say. So unless you are saying Jacksonville is going to be the exception to the rule of the past two decades of football I have no idea what you're getting at, other than a lame troll attempt.

This place hates me so much that you're actually saying the Etienne pick was good :lol:
LaDanian Tomlinson
Reggie Bush
The Handle Formerly Known as "The Godwin Complex"

MFundercover
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby MFundercover » Wed May 19, 2021 9:06 pm

Sure. If ETN is top 5 all time like Tomlinson was then I'll admit I he was the right pick.

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Wed May 19, 2021 9:10 pm

Ice wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 6:30 pm What is the over/under on ETN and Robinson receptions? BTW Robinson is a mid 4.6 RB and he had 49 receptions last year.

My take is around 70 receptions for ETN and 30 for Robinson in 2021. These 100 receptions will help the passing game, especially a rookie QB. There is a legit chance ETN will lead the team in receptions in 2021.

Does anyone really look at the Kamara types as just a RB. I get the designation but people are not drafting him because he is a great runner. They draft him because of versatility. Sounds a lot like how ETN is going to be utilized as a RB/WR hybrid type player. QB's are not the only dual threats on the field these days.

Robinson actually has a second issue to deal with no one is really taking about it. His name is Carlos Hyde and Meyer coached him at Ohio State. He is another mid 4.6 type that is a power back.

The Jags are attacking the RB position with new players. They are seeing things on tape no doubt that is driving a decision process designed to upgrade the position to fit the philosophy they intend to utilize.
I've been confused by these repeated comparisons of Etienne and Kamara. If the focus hasn't been on lateral quickness but general versatility, I can see it. Definitely see the value of Etienne's pairing of his (now-proven) receiving and big-play abilities.

I've been chasing Jacksonville players all offseason lol. Before the Etienne drafting, Hyde was a guy I was hunting as a cheap throw in. With his history with Meyer, NFL-proven ability to be a workhorse, JRob's UDFA status and no connection to the current staff, it's (or wasn't) the craziest idea he could usurp Robinson.

Etienne with 70 receptions (let alone targets) seems high to me. Gotta see what are comparable rookie RB numbers in recent history.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Thu May 20, 2021 9:59 am

Those who participate in derogatory, demeaning, or abusive language are subject for removal. The sole purpose of the forums is to provide a safe haven for those who wish to share opinions and discuss ideas, theories, thoughts, etc. Calling people names or trolling is not helpful to the population and does not help us all grow as a community. It isn't allowed and will not be tolerated.

Those who interact negatively only succeed in preventing others from participating in a meaningful conversation and furthering of opinions. Such actions do not represent the average user here at DLF. Those who have participated thusly in this thread and other places will find themselves taking a short break for some time for introspection before they will be allowed to return.

To the rest of you who were faced with negative or abusive language and responded in a mature manner, thank you for taking the high road. You help set the bar for which we want these forums to achieve, and with your help we will all get there in due time.

Let us get back to the topic as to why JRob will be a one or two year player with the Jags before being traded next off-season to rarely be seen again. :P
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Thu May 20, 2021 10:56 am

Have been reading, but not participating in the thread too much. It's gotten pretty circular, and there really isn't much new being discussed.

I tend to agree with StripesofKC who if I remember correctly some pages back basically said (hope I'm not getting this wrong) that Etienne was a boom/bust prospect. Guy has a high ceiling if he hits. If he doesn't, his floor could be pretty low. Every year we have to have players at the top of a class. That doesn't mean they're guaranteed success, or that a given class is as good as previous ones. That's just how it works.

We all want Etienne, Harris, Williams, etc.. to be solid RB's for our fantasy teams but history says there's going to be some disappointments. In fact, some of the guys drafted later may end up outplaying those who went earlier. So many strong opinions being expressed here, and there seems to be a lot of certainty in both the pro/con Etienne camps.

For his price, I won't end up with any shares. If he's BPA when my pick rolls around I'll gladly trade back and load up on WR's, or get a future 1st + to chase a RB in another class. If you're all-in on him, best of luck. I'm just not sold, but as I have said before it will be fun to revisit this epic down the road and see what ages well.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

Bronco Billy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Thu May 20, 2021 11:00 am

dlf_mikeh wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 9:59 am Let us get back to the topic as to why JRob will be a one or two year player with the Jags before being traded next off-season to rarely be seen again. :P
:reported: for trolling

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Thu May 20, 2021 11:07 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 11:00 am
dlf_mikeh wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 9:59 am Let us get back to the topic as to why JRob will be a one or two year player with the Jags before being traded next off-season to rarely be seen again. :P
:reported: for trolling
lol touche. :clap:
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu May 20, 2021 11:08 am

Pullo Vision wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 9:10 pm
Ice wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 6:30 pm What is the over/under on ETN and Robinson receptions? BTW Robinson is a mid 4.6 RB and he had 49 receptions last year.

My take is around 70 receptions for ETN and 30 for Robinson in 2021. These 100 receptions will help the passing game, especially a rookie QB. There is a legit chance ETN will lead the team in receptions in 2021.

Does anyone really look at the Kamara types as just a RB. I get the designation but people are not drafting him because he is a great runner. They draft him because of versatility. Sounds a lot like how ETN is going to be utilized as a RB/WR hybrid type player. QB's are not the only dual threats on the field these days.

Robinson actually has a second issue to deal with no one is really taking about it. His name is Carlos Hyde and Meyer coached him at Ohio State. He is another mid 4.6 type that is a power back.

The Jags are attacking the RB position with new players. They are seeing things on tape no doubt that is driving a decision process designed to upgrade the position to fit the philosophy they intend to utilize.
I've been confused by these repeated comparisons of Etienne and Kamara. If the focus hasn't been on lateral quickness but general versatility, I can see it. Definitely see the value of Etienne's pairing of his (now-proven) receiving and big-play abilities.

I've been chasing Jacksonville players all offseason lol. Before the Etienne drafting, Hyde was a guy I was hunting as a cheap throw in. With his history with Meyer, NFL-proven ability to be a workhorse, JRob's UDFA status and no connection to the current staff, it's (or wasn't) the craziest idea he could usurp Robinson.

Etienne with 70 receptions (let alone targets) seems high to me. Gotta see what are comparable rookie RB numbers in recent history.
Sent this in a PM but let me try to clarify my thoughts.

I am not trying to compare the two players running styles. Kamara is a bit slower but looks to have a better lateral movement skills. ETN has a lighting burst in his 1st step and speed to burn. He doesn't shy from contact. ETN does have shorter arms which could hurt a bit but does have good hands.

My comparison is how these players will be utilized on the field not their actual running style.

I believe Kamara has had 80 plus receptions every year in the League. Bush I think had 88 as rookie. I know 70 sounds like a lot but with the added game this year, that is less than 4.2 receptions per game which should sound more realistic.

I see this ETN in the slot a ton and in motion out of the backfield a ton to get him the ball in space so his Burst and speed can be utilized to the fullest. I also see the coaching staff getting a jump feeding him as many reps as possible in rookie camp.

The Jags do not have a weapon with his burst and quickness on the roster and since speed kills I see them using him more in a Kamara role even though they have different styles.

I see ETN has a high floor player with very minimal bust potential. Nothing in his game to date shows anything other than an extremely talented player.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Thu May 20, 2021 11:59 am

Long live James Robinson (thread)!
10-Team Dynasty League QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/WR/FLEX (23 man rosters + 2 IR + 2 Taxi, non-PPR scoring)
QB: Herbert, Goff
RB: Bijan, JT, Saquon, J.Cook, K.Hunt, Foreman, Z.White, McKinnon, S.Tucker
WR: G.Wilson, Olave, Jeudy, Pittman, J.Williams, OBJ, N. Brown, JuJu,
TE: Chig, Conklin, L. Thomas
Taxi: M.Mims, Ro. Johnson
'24: (4) 1sts, 2nd, (2) 3rds, 4th
'25: (2) 1sts, 2nd, 3rd, 4th

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Thu May 20, 2021 12:24 pm

You cant close this thread now...its too important to the fantasy world.