Do the loved ones in your life understand how crazy we dyno people are?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Do the loved ones in your life understand how crazy we dyno people are?

Postby Jigga94 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:31 am

Shcritters wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:10 am
SteelLake wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:03 am Does anyone else find it almost weird to talk about FF in their daily lives? Basically everyone loves FF, and will say “me too!” if mentioned, but once you start talking about it to nearly anyone (and they start wondering if they should pick up that “new guy on the Rams”, that you’ve been following for 3 years) it becomes clear you basically don’t play the same game. Then you don’t want to sound like an elitist prick over a silly fake football game, so find yourself saying uh-huh, yea that’s great!

Talking to my gf about her league, her telling me how crazy competitive it is / how into it the guys are, I take a look and see a run of K’s going in round 8, way overvalue of qb, etc etc etc.

Just became curious if I’m the only one that has these moments lol.
**General cooler talk at work**
Random guy: Hey, do you play fantasy football?
Me: Yeah, I do find it fun! What's your favorite format? PPR? Half-PPR? 2QB, TE Premium? IDP?
Random guy: Uhh... what do you mean? I do ESPN!
Me: Oh, ok. I'm following you. Do you know what a Dynasty league is?
Random guy: *Blank look on his face*
Me: Ok, do you know what a keeper league is?
Random guy: *Eyes glaze over*
Me: Salary Cap/Contract league?
Random guy: *drool starts running out of his open hanging mouth*
Me: ...Yeah... so Patrick Mahomes is amazing! He scored me so many points last week!
Random guy: Yeah! Mahomes! Best QB ever!
** General conversation continues **

Yeah, we're not playing the same game :lol:
Lol same conversation
Random: Did you see Tyreek Hills backflip?!
Me: He was great, can't wait to see how they look next year with WR leaving and Hardman possibly stepping up.
Random: who?

SteelLake
Starter
Starter

Postby SteelLake » Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:30 pm

Haha, I’m a transplant, so I’ll often be in situations watching games with fans of the Vikings / packers. There’s been moments where they’re all upset when it’s coming down to the 3rd string rb or 5th wr with “who is this” jokes...

Me - secretly excited to see this player I picked up months ago
Drew Christopher Brees Football Squad
Dynasty League (10 team)
2013-Present (11 years)
2017, 2022 Champion
8 playoff appearances
Record: 95-61

Keenan Alexander Allen Football Squad
Contract League (12 teams)
2015-Present (8 years)
2022, 2023 Champion
8 Playoff appearances
Record: 84-42

Dar's Outcasts
Redraft league (8-10 teams)
2020- Present (4 years)
2023 Champion
4 Playoff appearances
Record: 41-16

prinefan
All Pro
All Pro

Postby prinefan » Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:25 pm

I've been involved over 20 years doing this with the same wife throughout. A couple years ago as I approached retirement (she's a few years older and already retired) she expressed an interest in the game. Well she adopted a team in one of my many leagues and I began to teach her. She won her league the first 2 years (with coaching) and is loving this because we can now talk about it. She now is incredulous at herself for watching every game that's on. She doesn't watch to see who wins, just that her players are doing well. It's working for us.

Pet_Smith
Starter
Starter

Postby Pet_Smith » Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:26 pm

So... I'm from the UK. When I started playing FF my other half... Thought it was cute. I knew a lot about NFL. Dynasty starts. I'm not allowed to meet her American friends anymore as they all support an NFL team but I know more about every one than all the dedicated "fans"...
Its not fair!
Dynasty - 9th year, 12-team, Standard scoring, 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2FLEX, 1K, 1DE/DT, 1LB, 1CB/S - 25man roster / 6 Taxi Squad
'17 Champ, '18 Runner Up, '23 rebuild

QB Watson, A Richardson, O' Connel (TS)
RB Gibbs, Akers, Dillon Carter, Bigsby, Chase Brown, Mcintosh, Tucker, Hull (TS)
WR Metcalf, DJ Moore, Addison, Meyers, Van Jefferson, Collins, Claypool, Mingo (TS), Hyatt (TS), Wilson (TS)
TE Higbee, Freirmuth, Otton (TS)
K Joseph
DE/DT Hunter
LB Franklin Simmons
C/S James

1.01, 1.04

Yarnith
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Yarnith » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:04 am

My core friends and I started a dynasty league in 92. My wife joined it in 2008 as something to do with me but it converted her into an NFL fan. She loves coming home from work and talking about how she gets blank looks from FF coworkers talking about the game. At this stage we do a few redrafts for social reasons and while I draft them weekly management is handled by our 6year old. Her lineups are dominated by the "kitty and birdy teams" because well she is a 6yr old girl. Seems whimsical but she made the playoffs in 3 out of 4 leagues. I politely do not tell the other owners who is actually setting the lineups. I'm just not that mean spirited.
Cavaliers 12 team standard, 1QB, 1RB, 1WR, 2WR/TE, 1flex
QB: J. Allen, S. Howell, Z.Wilson
RB: A. Kamara, J. Taylor, CEH, K. Gainwell, P. Strong
WR: A.J. Brown, A. Cooper, J. Dotson, C. Ridley, E. Moore, W. Robinson, J. Meyers, T. Marshall,
TE: G. Kittle, J. Johnson, J. Woods, H. Henry
'23 1.10, 2.10, 3.10 '24 1, 2, 3
Recent Championships '19,'21,'22

Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends- 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
QB: Mahomes, Purdy, Lance
RB: Pierce, Miller, K. Herbert, E. Hull
WR: Chase, Watson, Davis, JSN, Metchie, Pierce, V. Jefferson, Claypool, Thornton, Westbrook-Ikhine
TE: Pitts, Woods, Latu

DLF3000
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby DLF3000 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:03 pm

Yeah, after doing dynasty so long, basic football/fantasy football convos or shows, etc. now bore the hell out of me.

That hobby analogy is a great one - like someone already said, I hadn't made the connection either, but yeah, not all hobbyists at very different levels will always enjoy a particular conversation topic. Actually, it's not too different from how you grow apart with some friends at some point because your lives become so different. Whoah, this is getting too heavy for a dynasty FF forum! :P

So I still play both redraft and dynasty every year for the variety. Definitely very different approaches, it either helps or just causes more indecision and reaching, I don't know :eh:

And this year, finally tried best ball and daily fantasy (including during the NBA playoffs) just to see what those are like. They're all fun and challenging for different reasons, and definitely makes you shift gears a ton, maybe too much? :thumbup:
35 Team Dyn PPR, 3 x Copy SF start 2TE Super Prem (TE 2 PPR, 8pt TD), 6 pt/non-TE TD, 1pt/20 yds pass (300 +3pt), 1pt/10 yds rush/rec (100 +3pt)

Start 12: 1QB 1SFLX 2RB 4WR 2TE 2FLX | 30 Active Roster, unlim Taxi, 3 IR/Out (+) | est. '21 | playoffs '21, '22

QB - J Allen, T Lawrence ...
RB - A Ekeler, S Barkley, J Cook, I Pacheco ...
WR - AJ Brown, C Ridley, G Pickens, C Sutton ...
TE - D Njoku, D Knox ...
® 2024 - | 2025 -