Are we mistaken in having rookie RBs ranked so high?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
trc
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Are we mistaken in having rookie RBs ranked so high?

Postby trc » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:39 pm

dynastyninja wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:52 am
trc wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:10 am
Cult of Dionysus wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:03 pm I don't necessarily think that some RBs are ranked too high versus their contemporary WRs. However, I do think that there's a chance that both the RBs and WRs in this class are over-valued versus other classes. Meaning, 1.08 last year or in 1.09 might get you a better RB or WR.
True - but isn't that 'just' rookie fever as always?
Can't find the topic again, but remember to have seen something like Corey Davis for 1.03 or 1.04 judged fair by the posters in that topic... Yes he didn't have a great rookie season, but come on.
Are you saying he should be worth more than 1.03/1.04? Not sure I see the logic behind that, considering he didn't have a great season like you said.
Yes - I believe he should be drafted right after Bark in this years class.
Davis was injured most of pre-season
Rookie year WR. WRs tend to develop slower than RBs (we have been spoiled earlier).

Can see I'm minority here though :D

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:50 pm

trc wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:39 pm
Can't find the topic again, but remember to have seen something like Corey Davis for 1.03 or 1.04 judged fair by the posters in that topic... Yes he didn't have a great rookie season, but come on.
Are you saying he should be worth more than 1.03/1.04? Not sure I see the logic behind that, considering he didn't have a great season like you said.
Yes - I believe he should be drafted right after Bark in this years class.
Davis was injured most of pre-season
Rookie year WR. WRs tend to develop slower than RBs (we have been spoiled earlier).

Can see I'm minority here though :D
Fair enough. So 1.03 or 1.04 is not that far off from even where you evaluate him. You just value him a pick or two higher than a few others here. That's not a big deal. FWIW the Davis owner in one of my leagues turned down the 1.02 for him, so the owner of the 1.02 valued him there, as did the owner of Davis, so you are not alone.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Well done steak goes in the trash.

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

Rosenbluu
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Rosenbluu » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:53 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:58 am
Cult of Dionysus wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:03 pm I don't necessarily think that some RBs are ranked too high versus their contemporary WRs. However, I do think that there's a chance that both the RBs and WRs in this class are over-valued versus other classes. Meaning, 1.08 last year or in 1.09 might get you a better RB or WR.

Once the NFL Draft has occurred, I bet a case could be made that pick 1.04 last year was more valuable than 1.04 this year. That's assuming Guice / Chubb / Sutton don't all go to great landing spots.
There is a chance, however I keep hearing it is a deep RB class, by plenty of sources, and to your point, just heard Matt Waldman (who I certainly don't take as gopsel) say that this is the best class to come along in years, and that a guy like Penny would have been ranked much higher in his ranking vs former classes recently. So he is basically saying the opposite, that you could get a better RB at say 1.09 than you might have even got @1.06 last year. Waldman also said the WR class is actually pretty deep, just lacking top end talent, basically.
Never listened to Matt Waldman but this is my thoughts on the WRs in this class. So many WRs that have a lot of potential but I think this class might take a few years to truly develop which a lot of owners now a days don’t seem to believe in. They want instant production which is fine but not realistic even in a pass heavy NFL.
Neither Corey/Williams did anything last yet but they both had some injuries but let’s not forget how dominate these two were in college. DT had a worse rookie year (22/283/2) and a (32/551/4) sophomore season. These two can easily surpass that and 45/750/6 is pretty attainable.
12 Team PPR
QB/2RB/3WR/TE/Flex
QB: Mahomes/Jones
RB: Mixon/Chubb/Mostert/Burkhead/McKinnon
WR: Wilson/JuJu/Marquise/Mooney/Campbell/Dotson/Osborn/Julio/Tolbert/Shakir/Metchie
TE: Andrews/Hurst

bigchiefbc
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby bigchiefbc » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:59 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:45 am

Yeah, I don't either. He would have been around that pick last year. So what has Davis done (other than stepped on an NFL field) to insinuate it's ridiculous that he is worth around the 1.03 or 1.04? His value AT BEST, should be the same as last year, as with Williams, as with Ross. They did absolutely nothing to warrant an increase in value. I personally would take the 1.03 over Davis. I liked him as a college player, but I do think he was over drafted by the Titans. He did zero athletic testing pre draft, and did not face a ton of elite competition. He did do well vs Michigan State, if I recall correctly, but I don't think he warrants the type of value that would make a top 3 or 4 rookie pick a terrible offer. It's a very fair offer, IMO.
I guess I should try to buy on Davis in all of my leagues then. Because I have Davis comfortably ahead of everyone in this draft other than Barkley.

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:26 pm

dynastyninja wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:29 pm
Pullo Vision wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:10 am
Goddard wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:05 am I think there's a good reason why the RBs are all ranked so high and this is supposed to be a very deep RB class. But I also do think some of the WRs are being overlooked and I've hardly seen any threads discussing them. Even in weak WR classes, there have been some good ones that people didn't expect. I'm not saying we should move the WRs up and hope we hit on the one that ends up being good, but when we look back at this class in a couple of years and re-rank them, I'd guess there would be a couple of WRs in the top 5.
Came here to say the same thing. I don't think the rookie RB valuations are being driven by the success of last year's class nearly as much as by the quality and depth of this year's group. I think another factor is the comparison of this year and next year- I've seen more than one discussion where people said this is the year to draft RBs, next year for WRs.
So in your opinion, which running backs' prices are being driven up by the market? Who is being grossly overvalued? I'm more curious, because I just don't see any receivers worth taking very early.
My comment wasn't about any particular RB, but more about the position compared to others. It's almost as if people are just swiping left when considering any non-RB player. OJ Howard was easily a 1st rounder last year- where do the current TEs fit in? Regarding your comment about WRs, what's early to you? Winston and Marriotta went 1/2 in the NFL draft and were, what, mid 2nds to late 1sts in dynasty, depending on the league? Where does this year's (strong) QB group go?

It seems people are reluctantly putting wrs at the tail end of their top 12s because they can't find any RBs to put there.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def