Salary Cap Leagues

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
amazehayes
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Re: Salary Cap Leagues

Postby amazehayes » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:28 am

VolfanJB wrote:I do a salary cap dynasty league. We base the salaries off of rankings. For example if I draft E Elliot in this years draft, his salary at the 1.01 position is 3 Million. I can sign him for up to 3 years at that price (Rookie Price). Our cap is 92 Million. Once his rookie contract is up, I have the option of releasing him into free agency or resigning him. To resign him, I would look at the current overall rankings. Note that we use redraft rankings, not dynasty rankings. So suppose that at that time he is ranked # 10 overall. We cross reference that with a chart that we use that shows the # 10 overall player has a salary of 10.5 million. I can sign him for 1 or 2 years. If I choose to sign him for only 1 year, 10% is added. This is so that people don't do only 1 year contracts. Now, here is where it gets interesting: After his 2 years are up, I then look at the chart again. If his ranking has gone up, say to # 5, then his salary on his new contract goes up to 12.5 Million. But, if his ranking goes down, his salary stays at 10.5. In other words, his salary can never go down while he is on my team. Just like in the NFL, players get to the point where they no longer justify the big contracts that they have. So eventually you have to decide when it is time to part ways with a guy who may still be effective, but not worth the big contract. Now, I can release him into free agency and resign him at a lower value...maybe. Free agency is an auction and someone may be willing to pay even more that what he was making. The McCoy owner in our league dropped him this year instead of resigning him at his 15 M price tag. I'm guessing he will try and get him cheaper in FA, but I am willing to go beyond that price if I have to in order to land him. This is a system that I came up with own my own when we put our league together and it has worked out really well. If you're interested I'd be happy to send you a copy of our league by laws as well as the salary chart that we use. Just let me know if you are interested.
Could you send me a copy of the laws and salary chart

Shcritters
MVP
MVP

Postby Shcritters » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:47 pm

I am in a league where it is auction for every FA. Whoever wins the bid gets to decide the length of the contract, but the catch is that contracts go up 20% each year and the penalty for dropping a player is 20% of the base for as long as the original contract. After the contract is up they go back into the FA pool... Or you can franchise or transition tag them for a cost of the average of the top ten salaries at the position, or last year's salary + 20% (whichever is more). Want to go get your guy and lock them up? Go for it... But understand in 3 years that player will be 40-50% of your cap.

The other thing that is fun is that we have a holdout clause. If you have a player who finishes in the top ten but makes les than 1/3 of the average of the top 10 salaries they become a holdout (set up to simulate the NFL real world). You then have to pay them the average of the top 10 salaries to be able to keep them, at a length defined by the owner.

We've also have defined rookie pick salaries ($7 minus the round they were taken in the NFL draft for 1st round rookies, $3 minus the round drafted for 2nd round rookies). And here's the kicker... Rookies can't become holdouts until after year 3. This makes rookie picks really valuable. There is one team who has Bell, OBJ, and ARob for a total of $25 in a $250 cap league. Next year all three will likely be holdouts and he would have to pay about $160 to keep them, but for this year he is really dangerous. The goal of this is to help bad teams recover more quickly by giving them an advantage to get back up off the mat.

Really like it because it feels like the right mix of forcing stud players to be thrown back, incentivizing making good rookie picks, and enabling lots of trades because good teams want those early first round rookie picks.
Gopher Two
PPR SF, WR & TE Premium (WR 1.2 PPR , TE 1.5 PPR), 10 total starters, 1 QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Mahomes, Prescott, Mayfield
RB: Hall, Pacheco, Jacobs, Connor, Chubb, Mattison
WR: Tyreek, AJ Brown, Flowers, CSutton, JJeudy, Slayton, Iosivas
TE: McBride, DSchultz, Musgrave, Kraft, MGesicki
2024: 1.02, 2.02
2022 and 2023 League Champ

SafeLeague #1 (12 team, SF, 2.0 PPR TE Prem). 10 total starters 1 QB, 1SF (QB/TE/RB/WR), 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Caleb, Purdy, Levis, Penix
RB: Pacheco, Estime, Vaughn
WR: Nabers, Coleman, Downs, EMoore, Jeudy, Burton, MMims, MWilson
TE: Hock, Kincaid, Pitts, Sinnott, Mayer
2025: 3 1sts, 2 2nds, 2 3rds, 2 4ths

SafeLeague #2
QB: Caleb, Richardson, Purdy, JJMcCarthy
RB: literal ZERO RB (for now)
WR: Nabers, Worthy, McConkey, Brian Thomas Jr, Pearsall, Mims, Burton, Mingo, Toney, Skyy, Iosivas
TE: LaPorta, Kincaid, McBride, Bowers, Mayer, Musgrave, Schoonmaker
2025: 3 1sts, 2 2nds

Commission A
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Commission A » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:04 pm

VolfanJB wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:47 pm I do a salary cap dynasty league. We base the salaries off of rankings. For example if I draft E Elliot in this years draft, his salary at the 1.01 position is 3 Million. I can sign him for up to 3 years at that price (Rookie Price). Our cap is 92 Million. Once his rookie contract is up, I have the option of releasing him into free agency or resigning him. To resign him, I would look at the current overall rankings. Note that we use redraft rankings, not dynasty rankings. So suppose that at that time he is ranked # 10 overall. We cross reference that with a chart that we use that shows the # 10 overall player has a salary of 10.5 million. I can sign him for 1 or 2 years. If I choose to sign him for only 1 year, 10% is added. This is so that people don't do only 1 year contracts. Now, here is where it gets interesting: After his 2 years are up, I then look at the chart again. If his ranking has gone up, say to # 5, then his salary on his new contract goes up to 12.5 Million. But, if his ranking goes down, his salary stays at 10.5. In other words, his salary can never go down while he is on my team. Just like in the NFL, players get to the point where they no longer justify the big contracts that they have. So eventually you have to decide when it is time to part ways with a guy who may still be effective, but not worth the big contract. Now, I can release him into free agency and resign him at a lower value...maybe. Free agency is an auction and someone may be willing to pay even more that what he was making. The McCoy owner in our league dropped him this year instead of resigning him at his 15 M price tag. I'm guessing he will try and get him cheaper in FA, but I am willing to go beyond that price if I have to in order to land him. This is a system that I came up with own my own when we put our league together and it has worked out really well. If you're interested I'd be happy to send you a copy of our league by laws as well as the salary chart that we use. Just let me know if you are interested.
I'd be interested to seeing them if possible?

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:38 am

It's a lot more fun when there's an active market that's based upon an annual auction. And I don't understand why anyone would do a contract league where the cap hit for cutting a player would only be applied to the current year.

In USFL Superflex, if you drop a 4 year / $10m contract in its first year, $7.5m of that contract will stay on your books for the remainder of those 4 years. Now I admit, a 75% cap hit is a bit high, probably 50% would be better, but that really makes things interesting and guys have to be a lot more careful awarding big contracts and cutting guys. I put Corrdarrelle Patterson on a 4yr/$22.5 contract in 2014, and his $17.5 cap hit, after I cut him in late 2014, only cleared my books at the end of the 2017 season. You can't imagine how glad I was to finally get that off my books.