Josh Gordon Thread: Reinstatement (Deja Vu)

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
GoodellsPaycheck
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Re: Josh Gordon Reinstatement

Postby GoodellsPaycheck » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:10 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:45 pm
Slackalacker wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:09 am Exactly! If you have a deep enough bench he is worth a stash. If the dude comes back this year at age 26 then by this time next year if he prepares well he can go back to being a tier 1 WR.
The fact that this is even still a thought for people is hilarious.

At this point, it doesn't even matter how many times he gets suspended. Gordon could be 30, and some will be like "Hey, he posted that WR1 season way back when. The upside is still there!"
This logic is so weak. He's not 30, he's 26. 26 with much less NFL miles/wear n tear than the average 26 year old NFL player.

In redrafts, I get that he's probably not worth the roster spot. But in Dynasty, especially a 16-team league like I'm in, his upside trumps most if not all that's left on the waiver wire. He at least sounds like he's actively trying to make it back into the league. If he botches it this time, we will have our final answer and can wipe our hands clean of him. If he manages to come back, then anyone in dynasty who took that small risk of rostering him for the 1st few weeks of the season now has a potential WR1 who never relies on work ethic, but has god given talent that can just show up and be better than 75% of the pro athletes he shares the field with.

If you wanna be that guy standing on the sidelines telling everyone "I told you so" should he get denied reinstatement, go right ahead, your gain is 0. But for those that choose to take the small risk for the high reward, if he comes back then your chances of winning the league just got severely cut down.

dm1129
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby dm1129 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:35 am

These Gordon naysayers are way too quick to quit on a guy. Let me guess, the next thing you're going to say is Blackmon shouldn't be rostered? :shock: :lol:

Balzac
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Balzac » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:00 am

dm1129 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:35 am These Gordon naysayers are way too quick to quit on a guy. Let me guess, the next thing you're going to say is Blackmon shouldn't be rostered? :shock: :lol:
Different story all together.
10 Team TE Premium, Dynasty Year 6 - (1QB, 1RB, 1WR, 1TE, 3FLEX, 1K, 1DEF)
http://www57.myfantasyleague.com/2017/o ... =07&F=0002

12 Team .5PPR, Dynasty Year 4 - (1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 3FLEX)
https://www66.myfantasyleague.com/2017/ ... =07&F=0011

The Red Rooster
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby The Red Rooster » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:07 am

Reljac wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:11 am Not to mention, he will have absolutely zero chemistry with his QB and likely played with very few of the existing starters at all when he last played.
I will take Gordon on my roster over T Sharpe right now. Just saying.

This all comes down to roster size. If you have smaller rosters, I agree, he should not be on there. But if you have large rosters, he's not the worse end of the bench stash. Its all relative to your league size and roster size though.

Reljac
Captain
Captain

Postby Reljac » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:12 am

I don't disagree with you in deep leagues that roster a ton. Then again, I'm not sure what league rostering Tajae Sharpe is much of a good move anymore.
12-team Non-PPR QB, 2-RB, 3-WR, TE, K, DEF
QB: Herbert, Tanny
RB: Chubb, Stevenson, AJ Dillion
WR: AJ Brown, M Evans, M Williams, D London, C Olave, Jameson Williams, M Thomas
TE: D Njoku
K: Butker

2023: 1.01, 2.01
2024 early first, late first

The Red Rooster
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby The Red Rooster » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:16 am

Reljac wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:12 am I don't disagree with you in deep leagues that roster a ton. Then again, I'm not sure what league rostering Tajae Sharpe is much of a good move anymore.
I only mentioned him because hes listed on the team in your sig. :)

Reljac
Captain
Captain

Postby Reljac » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:21 am

The Red Rooster wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:16 am
Reljac wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:12 am I don't disagree with you in deep leagues that roster a ton. Then again, I'm not sure what league rostering Tajae Sharpe is much of a good move anymore.
I only mentioned him because hes listed on the team in your sig. :)
yes, I haven't updated my offseason roster cuts, but he is no longer on my team.
WR: AJ Brown, M Evans, M Williams, D London, C Olave, Jameson Williams, M Thomas

dm1129
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby dm1129 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:55 am

Balzac wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:00 am
dm1129 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:35 am These Gordon naysayers are way too quick to quit on a guy. Let me guess, the next thing you're going to say is Blackmon shouldn't be rostered? :shock: :lol:
At this point, it really isn't. That is exactly the reason I posted that. Even though Gordon played 5 games in 2014, he essentially has not been in the NFL for three years. I owned Gordon and defended him for quite some time. However it is now abundantly clear he has far more serious demons that some owners still seem to realize. There honestly is no objective reason to expect he will ever approach his 2013 form again which is what the believers are still hoping for even if they claim differently publicly. He has literally given every reason to expect the opposite.

GoodellsPaycheck
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby GoodellsPaycheck » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:09 am

dm1129 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:55 am
At this point, it really isn't. That is exactly the reason I posted that. Even though Gordon played 5 games in 2014, he essentially has not been in the NFL for three years. I owned Gordon and defended him for quite some time. However it is now abundantly clear he has far more serious demons that some owners still seem to realize. There honestly is no objective reason to expect he will ever approach his 2013 form again which is what the believers are still hoping for even if they claim differently publicly. He has literally given every reason to expect the opposite.
Just 1 year ago he looked great in the preseason and showed flashes of his old self. This isn't 3 years ago since we've seen him in action. I understand the odds are strongly against him, but will the minimal risk and such large upside, it'd be stupid not to take the chance on him depending on your league and situation

Blackmon is gone, long gone. Gordon is at least looking like he's trying to make a comeback to the league. That's the difference

dm1129
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby dm1129 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:16 am

GoodellsPaycheck wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:09 am

Just 1 year ago he looked great in the preseason and showed flashes of his old self. This isn't 3 years ago since we've seen him in action. I understand the odds are strongly against him, but will the minimal risk and such large upside, it'd be stupid not to take the chance on him depending on your league and situation

Blackmon is gone, long gone. Gordon is at least looking like he's trying to make a comeback to the league. That's the difference
I guess the believers will see what they want to see...

Yeah, for three years he has been 'trying'.....

Even if reinstated, the odds of him not running into trouble again are very low. The owners that still have him are simply not willing to accept reality and want to show the world he was worth holding all this time...haha.

Slackalacker
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Slackalacker » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:23 am

dm1129 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:16 am
GoodellsPaycheck wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:09 am

I guess the believers will see what they want to see...

Yeah, for three years he has been 'trying'.....

Even if reinstated, the odds of him not running into trouble again are very low. The owners that still have him are simply not willing to accept reality and want to show the world he was worth holding all this time...haha.
I'm much rather stashing Gordon on the end of my 25 man roster than other longshots. The dude has talent that is rarely seen in the NFL, and at his age it's not beyond thinking that he can regain his form, and maybe be even BETTER in a year or two.

Yeah there's a chance he doesn't get reinstated, or does and gets another suspension. But at 26 he could get reinstated, get a year of conditioning, and produce as a top talent from age 27-31. Even half a season of him producing at WR2 numbers is worth the deep stash.

No I wouldn't consider him in a shallow roster league but when you're rostering over 300 offensive players as a league there's no reason not to have him somewhere.
TEAM 1 - 10 team SF 1PPR | 2017 & 2019 League Champ
1QB/1SF/2RB/2WR/1TE/2FLEX
QB: Dak - Hurts - DangeRuss - Tua - Z Wilson - Mills
RB: Barkley - Zeke - Sanders - Pollard - Patterson - D’Ernest - Jermar - Evans - Jones
WR: Hill - JJeff - Higgins - Hollywood - MThom(IR) - Godwin(IR) - E Moore - Marshall Jr - Calloway - Palmer - D Brown
TE: Hock - Moreau

Reljac
Captain
Captain

Postby Reljac » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:37 am

Doesn't your signature show you as owning him in a shallow league of only 168 rostered players?

slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby slaughterrt » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:55 am

I'm still holding out hope that Aaron Hernandez comes back from the grave and posts his previous numbers from years ago...

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:57 am

I'd say there's a 15-20% change Gordon is relevant in the NFL again. Don't own him anywhere, but I can't blame people for giving him a shot.

Slackalacker
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Slackalacker » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:00 am

Reljac wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:37 am Doesn't your signature show you as owning him in a shallow league of only 168 rostered players?
It sure does.

Also note it says he is in my IR in a 2 man keeper league. Who else are you putting there? Nobody who I'd keep next year over AB.
TEAM 1 - 10 team SF 1PPR | 2017 & 2019 League Champ
1QB/1SF/2RB/2WR/1TE/2FLEX
QB: Dak - Hurts - DangeRuss - Tua - Z Wilson - Mills
RB: Barkley - Zeke - Sanders - Pollard - Patterson - D’Ernest - Jermar - Evans - Jones
WR: Hill - JJeff - Higgins - Hollywood - MThom(IR) - Godwin(IR) - E Moore - Marshall Jr - Calloway - Palmer - D Brown
TE: Hock - Moreau