Trade help: Gio for Michael Thomas

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
bodey24
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Trade help: Gio for Michael Thomas

Postby bodey24 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:52 am

In a dynasty league Would you guys trade Gio Bernard for Michael Thomas (Saints)? 12 team dynasty league, ppr.

I already have quite a bit of depth at rb and wr. My team is in rebuild mode so I'm likely not competing this year. Just trying to figure out if This is a solid deal for me or if I should try and get more for Gio.

Thanks.

Big Al
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Trade help: Gio for Michael Thomas

Postby Big Al » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:09 am

I would think you could get more for Gio.

Carpe Diem
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Carpe Diem » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:19 am

Gio.
He's proven he can play w opportunity. Thomas could be good but Gio has support behind him and IMO is the better back in Cincy.

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:01 am

I'd take thomas if your rebuilding. I disagree that you should be able to get more. I'm just not seeing owners pony up for gio. Owners may very well want more, but they aren't getting it in most leagues.

I'm higher than most on both players. A year from now...it's very likely it's gio plus something pretty valuable for thomas...even if thomas has a mediocre rookie year. Quick example, look at white, parker, dgb.... I anticipate thomas putting up a better rookie year. Gio resigning hurt his value this offseason.

The.Big.Spank
Legend
Legend

Postby The.Big.Spank » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:10 am

sloth8u wrote:I'd take thomas if your rebuilding. I disagree that you should be able to get more. I'm just not seeing owners pony up for gio. Owners may very well want more, but they aren't getting it in most leagues.

I'm higher than most on both players. A year from now...it's very likely it's gio plus something pretty valuable for thomas...even if thomas has a mediocre rookie year. Quick example, look at white, parker, dgb.... I anticipate thomas putting up a better rookie year. Gio resigning hurt his value this offseason.
I agree, especially with Gio resigning hurt his value this off season. He is in the worst RBBC in the league. He will always be a low end RB2 now 17-22. His talent is better than that, but his situation kills him and make him a bye week starter given the uncertainty of his weekly production. get-rid-of-em.
Team 1: 16 Team
QB's: Fields, Wentz,
RB: D. Harris, D. Montgomery, Kendre M.
WR: Chase, AJ Brown, Aiyuk, Bateman
TE: Waller, J. Woods, Dulich, Mayer

Team 2: 12 Team SF 1ppr, Start 10
QB: Mahomes, Burrow, Watson
RB: Hall, Walker, Javonte, Pacheco, K Mitchell, Dobbins
WR: Godwin, JSN, Pittman, Pickens, Toney, DP Jones, S Moore
TE: Andrews, Fant, Likely
(2024) 1.03, 2.03, 3.03
(2025) Top 3 1st, my 1st

Team 3 SF, TEP, Start 11 ppr
QB: AR, Watson, Young, Levis
RB: ETN, Walker, Pierce, Akers, Pacheco, Herbert, Warren, Kelley
WR: G. Wilson, Higgins, Godwin, Kirk, Bateman, Collins, Doubs, Chark, Shaheed,
TE: Schultz, I Smith, Bellinger, Parham, Fant, Likely, Granson,

GridironGuerilla
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby GridironGuerilla » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:21 am

Perhaps in an 8-10 team league or in a non PPR format Gio will be a perennial "low end RB2" but he's been the RB 16 for the last two seasons in 12 team PPR leagues. That makes him a high end RB2. I agree that you should be able to get more than Micheal Thomas for him. Gio is a proven commodity and Thomas hasn't shown anything yet. He's going at the 1.06 according to rookie ADP and I wouldn't let Gio go for anything less than the 1.03-1.04 personally. It doesn't look like you are in need of a flier WR so I'd hold Gio.
"If on 4th down, the quarterback doesn't complete his pass, they will turn over the ball."

-Booger McFarlland

BelichekYourSelf
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby BelichekYourSelf » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:27 am

I'd take Thomas here. Getting the 1.06 for Gio is a steal.
12 Team. Roster 22, 4 TS. PPR, TE Prem (1.75). Start 1 QB, 5 flex (2 RB Max), 1 Def, 1 K
QB P. Mahomes, J. Goff, B Zappe (TS)
RB S. Barkley, N. Chubb, R. Stevenson, T. Pollard, J. Cook, K. Herbert, A. Mattison, E. Mitchell
WR AJ Brown, DK Metcalf, C. Kupp, A. Cooper, D. Hopkins, DJ Moore, B. Aiyuk, R. Doubs, K. Boutte (TS), C. Tillman (TS), M. Wilson (TS)
TE M. Andrews
Def Patriots, Ravens

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:30 am

GridironGuerilla wrote:Perhaps in an 8-10 team league or in a non PPR format Gio will be a perennial "low end RB2" but he's been the RB 16 for the last two seasons in 12 team PPR leagues. That makes him a high end RB2. I agree that you should be able to get more than Micheal Thomas for him. Gio is a proven commodity and Thomas hasn't shown anything yet. He's going at the 1.06 according to rookie ADP and I wouldn't let Gio go for anything less than the 1.03-1.04 personally. It doesn't look like you are in need of a flier WR so I'd hold Gio.
I'm a gio backer but your nuts if you think he's worth 3 or 4. Riddick and Sims finished within 2 ppr pts of gio...... do you see the discrepancy here?

GridironGuerilla
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby GridironGuerilla » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:00 am

No. I don't see a discrepancy. Sure, in 2015 they did. But in 2014 they finished 47th and 73rd, and in 2013 Riddick finished 101st. I'd value Sims a lot closer to Gio as he missed 8 games his rookie year but Gio has done it all three of his years in the league. In fact he finished 13th in his rookie season and dropped to 16th in 2014 and 2015 splitting the backfield. Gio was taken in the 2nd round and is clearly an integral part of the Bengals offense and their future plans. He's got no real competition besides Hill who has been disappointing since his rookie campaign. Those things can't be said for Riddick and Sims with any conviction. Taking all of that into account I just don't value them quite as highly as I do Gio. That being said and to put it into perspective I likely wouldn't let either of them go for anything outside the 1st in this draft class either.
Call me bat bleep crazy but personally I'm not trading Gio in a PPR league for anyone outside of the top 4 in this draft unless I really need to fortify my depth elsewhere and have depth at RB, but that's not the case here. Just my opinion.
"If on 4th down, the quarterback doesn't complete his pass, they will turn over the ball."

-Booger McFarlland

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:12 am

By that logic, I'm assuming that the ap's, charles's, forte's, etc... are worth 1.1 plus. Using that same logic, you will be missing on all the prime prospects. Lots of ways to build a team, but overvaluing replaceable production is the long way to go about it.

If you don't like thomas... fine. If you believe gio is worth more... you should likely shop around. There is gold to be found for pennies.

GridironGuerilla
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby GridironGuerilla » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:26 am

Really? Lol. That's what you got from my comment? That's silly. This has nothing to do with the 1.01 and it's value in terms of aging veterans and if that's what you extrapolated from my last post then I'm wasting my time. In my opinion the gold among the pennies is few and far between this draft and I'm willing to pass on the "prime prospects" and "overvalue" the prospect I drafted and has proven to be a solid PPR RB2 every year for me. I believe Gio is worth more than Thomas... I would shop around if i felt the need to sell... That was the point of my post. Thanks for the invaluable insight though.

-Booger McFarlland

Weeping_Souls
Starter
Starter

Postby Weeping_Souls » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:41 am

I'm a Gio fan, so I'd keep him. If you think you could get a mid 1st round pick next year though I would take that.
Leatherheads I
Start: QB, RB, WR, TE, K, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, ST, 5 Flex (Exc. QB, K, ST)
12 Teams |5 Flex | 1pt PPR
http://www56.myfantasyleague.com/2016/o ... =07&F=0009

Leatherheads II - 2015 Champions
Start: QB, RB, WR, TE, K, DL, LB, DB, ST, 8 Flex (Exc. QB, K, ST)
12 Teams | 5 Flex | 1pt PPR
http://www63.myfantasyleague.com/2016/o ... =07&F=0007

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:53 am

GridironGuerilla wrote:Really? Lol. That's what you got from my comment? That's silly. This has nothing to do with the 1.01 and it's value in terms of aging veterans and if that's what you extrapolated from my last post then I'm wasting my time. In my opinion the gold among the pennies is few and far between this draft and I'm willing to pass on the "prime prospects" and "overvalue" the prospect I drafted and has proven to be a solid PPR RB2 every year for me. I believe Gio is worth more than Thomas... I would shop around if i felt the need to sell... That was the point of my post. Thanks for the invaluable insight though.
I think your missing my point. Thomas already carries a better adp and rb 2 production is replaceable for pennies. Suggesting that someone ask for someone carrying an adp of 40 for someone carrying an adp of 70 just isn't realistic in most leaggues.

I like gio more than most. I'm not knocking him.

GridironGuerilla
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby GridironGuerilla » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:27 am

Yes, if that was your point in that previous post I missed it. As far as I can see you don't mention ADP at all. Seeing as how now ADP IS your point in this past post, mentioning it even abstractly in the first might have helped to make it. I usually use ADP as a tool when I'm trying to substantiate a trade but it's not gospel. As far as it goes however, I notice a lot of different sites have varrying ADP's and the two I started with Dynasty Football Warehouse and Fantasy Pros have Gio going higher in a startup PPR dynasty format and I'm hard pressed to find a site that has Thomas ranked higher overall either if you're a rankings guy. As a side note, we can agree to disagree that Gio is replaceable for pennies.
Let's just agree to disagree here so we can both move on with our lives Lol. I'd prefer Gio over Thomas and you'd prefer Thomas over Gio. I wouldn't trade Gio for anything less than one of the top 3 this draft (after Zeke of course because that's just crazy) unless I felt I needed to and you would trade him for much less. Potato, Potahto.
No disrespect in all of this and I hope I'm still invited to Thanksgiving.
Last edited by GridironGuerilla on Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

-Booger McFarlland

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:38 am

Invited to thanksgiving....sure. we'll reserve a seat for you at the kids table, that way you can offer advice on unrealistic offers. Gio for 3 is far fetched in competitive leagues. Jk

We can certainly agree to disagree here.