How do you handle trade talks

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
basilthesnake
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

How do you handle trade talks

Postby basilthesnake » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:51 pm

Just finished a 60 round IDP/ppr dyno draft. I noticed during and after the draft that a handful of owners are using the same trade talk tactic.

Team A
"I have interest in player x, are you interested in moving him?"

Team B
"I'll move any player.... for the right price"

Team A
"Let me know who you want"

That's the part I get annoyed by. You are seeking out the player, look at my team and make me an offer. I've even give so far as saying "you first". It makes me just throw out a huge overpay offer every time. Grow a pair and make me an offer. How do you handle initial negotiations?

CrimsonKodiak
Starter
Starter

Re: How do you handle trade talks

Postby CrimsonKodiak » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:01 am

The trade that annoys me is:

I get: nothing
Team B gets player they are interested in.

Comment:
What do you want?

I know this is fear of starting a trade at the wrong value and they want to see what your valuation is before they commit to anything. But I always respond with: send me a legitimate offer and we go from there.

If I want a player I'll send a trade that is in my favour and knowing full well that it might get rejected. if the response is: I'm not interested in trading that player, then I don't bother. if it gets countered then I know he is movable.

If I receive a trade, I'm expecting it to not be the other owners best offer, so similarly I counter with a trade that is in my favour. If it's multiple players involved I try change certain ones to see which is the key player targeted in the trade. I then build up that player "(I'm higher on him than most", "I'm pretty sure he is going to have a huge year this year"). The owner already wanted him, by me building him up the owner wants him even more and will hopefully pay a premium to get him.
DLF Premium league (QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, TE, W/R/T, W/R/T) PPR
QB - Brady, Carr, Hoyer, Lynch
RB - CJA, Miller, Langford, Henry, Vereen, J. Allen, McCluster, Darkwa
WR - Sanders, Woods, Funchess, Jo Brown, Hogan, Ph. Cooper, Heyward-Bey, Wright, Marquess Wilson, Hunter, Goodwin, Fuller
TE - Gronkowski, Ebron, Chandler, Boyle

2017 1,2,3

bonscott
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby bonscott » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:28 am

If it's a "cold offer", in other words the other team doesn't have the player on the trading block nor stated any interest in trading, I'll often just email and ask if that player is available. Sometimes I'll send in an offer or something I'm thinking about as a framework if I'm confident I have something they might want. But I've gone around the block too many times just tossing out offers that get rejected with no counter or even a comment that I'm tired of banging my head against the wall. So I'll most often ask in my initial email if there are players on my roster they are interested in because if there aren't then I'm not going to waste my time sending over offer after offer that gets rejected. Currently doing this with a couple teams now and the biggest response I get is most of my players are way more valuable and my lesser players they aren't interested in. I like that feedback because then we both won't waste our time trying to get something done that just isn't going to happen.

joeday
GOAT
GOAT

Postby joeday » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:42 am

I usually never send cold offers, I will text or email with the other owner first. If I want one of his players I wont say "what would you want for him" because I am the one looking to make a trade, not necessarily him. But I will say something like "what players on my team interest you" which gives me similar information but sounds better lol.
BERLIN BOMBERS (0 – 0)
1996 | 2005 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2017 – πŸ†
1999 | 2000 | 2019 | 2020 – πŸ₯ˆ

14 team | 4 keepers | non ppr | est. 1996
QB –
RB – Christian McCaffrey | Josh Jacobs
WR – AJ Brown | CeeDee Lamb
TE –

ROCKY MOUNTAIN MASTODONS (0 – 0)
2011 | 2013 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2020 – πŸ†
2008 | 2012 | 2014 | 2019 – πŸ₯ˆ

12 team | 10 keepers | non ppr | est. 2001
QB – Joe Burrow
RB – Tony Pollard | Kenneth Walker III | Rhamondre Stevenson
WR – Justin Jefferson | Stefon Diggs | DK Metcalf | Tee Higgins | Jameson Williams
TE – Trey McBride

Overall 2024 Regular Season Record: 0 – 0

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:45 am

I understand you don't want to be the one to start negotiations, particularly involving a player you're not looking to move, but I also see nothing wrong with someone asking you what they want. Most of the deals I do come from somebody telling me what they want. "I need a RB" "I need a WR" "I need draft picks"

Often times I'll tell them "I would need at least Player X, likely more" and that at least gives them a ball park to come up with a decent offer.

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:14 am

I almost always send an offer of close to value or what I might consider a slight overpay for a player I want badly. If they counter with more I say that was my best offer unless they would prefer swapping out an equivalent player/pick

For trades I am just making to change my team dynamic I will send something I think is fair and go from there.

I like trading I don't like talking about trading. I understand the idea of getting the most value you can but feel confident enough in other areas of FF that I don't need to win every trade in value to be satisfied with the result. However I do get somewhat annoyed by the lowball offers and the auto-counter owners that always try to squeeze every ounce from a deal. My feeling if your margin for error is that small you probably are taking it far too seriously.
If that is the case send me an email and we can discuss player values...maybe we'll figure it out maybe we won't.
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

Reljac
Captain
Captain

Postby Reljac » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:26 am

maxhyde wrote:I almost always send an offer of close to value or what I might consider a slight overpay for a player I want badly. If they counter with more I say that was my best offer unless they would prefer swapping out an equivalent player/pick

For trades I am just making to change my team dynamic I will send something I think is fair and go from there.

I like trading I don't like talking about trading. I understand the idea of getting the most value you can but feel confident enough in other areas of FF that I don't need to win every trade in value to be satisfied with the result. However I do get somewhat annoyed by the lowball offers and the auto-counter owners that always try to squeeze every ounce from a deal. My feeling if your margin for error is that small you probably are taking it far too seriously.
If that is the case send me an email and we can discuss player values...maybe we'll figure it out maybe we won't.
This sums it up for me as well... some people try to squeeze every ounce out... it ain't worth it... getting that 4th moved up to a 3rd so you can draft a different player you cut before midseason isn't worth losing the meat of the deal.

I look at the other team and try to leave something out there that benefits both... the exception is that I will not overcompensate a team that I am directly fighting for the championship with... it does me no good to give up value if it puts their team over mine... I will give up tons of value all day though to a team that is not on the same playing field as mine.
12-team Non-PPR QB, 2-RB, 3-WR, TE, K, DEF
QB: Herbert, Tanny
RB: Chubb, Stevenson, AJ Dillion
WR: AJ Brown, M Evans, M Williams, D London, C Olave, Jameson Williams, M Thomas
TE: D Njoku
K: Butker

2023: 1.01, 2.01
2024 early first, late first

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:35 am

when in doubt
I'll whip it out
I got me in a rock n roll band
its a free for all
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
β€” Leonardo da Vinci

joeday
GOAT
GOAT

Postby joeday » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:57 pm

Oh, and if someone tries to explain to me why a deal is good for me or says "matthew berry ranks the players you are getting better than the players you are giving" or tells me he really doesn't like the players he is trying to get from me...that is when I inform them I would prefer they stop sending me offers.
BERLIN BOMBERS (0 – 0)

QB –
TE –

QB – Joe Burrow
WR – Justin Jefferson | Stefon Diggs | DK Metcalf | Tee Higgins | Jameson Williams
TE – Trey McBride

joeday
GOAT
GOAT

Postby joeday » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:00 pm

...OR here is one I have been getting from a new owner in a few leagues I am in...they send me an absolutely terrible offer (for example: Kelvin Benjamin, Rod Streater, Corey Fuller and Garrett Graham for Antonio Brown literally was just offered to me at 3:50pm) and when I respond "why would I do that offer" and he tells me he sends offers like that to get counters! Yeeeeaaaaah I am gonna go ahead and say if you send me an offer like that the only counter you are gonna get is Nick Toon for Kelvin! lol
BERLIN BOMBERS (0 – 0)

QB –
TE –

QB – Joe Burrow
TE – Trey McBride

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:08 pm

basilthesnake wrote:Just finished a 60 round IDP/ppr dyno draft. I noticed during and after the draft that a handful of owners are using the same trade talk tactic.

Team A

Team B

Team A

That's the part I get annoyed by. You are seeking out the player, look at my team and make me an offer. I've even give so far as saying "you first". It makes me just throw out a huge overpay offer every time. Grow a pair and make me an offer. How do you handle initial negotiations?
I really Don't see why everyone gets in such a tizzy when another owner asks 'what do you want for player X'. While that may be annoying to some it's just as annoying to get random offers thy contain players you have no interest in, at least the guys asking what you want is trying to work with you instead of just shooting out blind offers to see if something sticks.

I also think it pretty easy to say, here are they guys in you're team in interested in and now with that info I'll let you make the first offer. Everyone is so damn sensitive.

palevermilion
Role Player
Role Player

Postby palevermilion » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:30 pm

thebeast wrote:I really Don't see why everyone gets in such a tizzy when another owner asks 'what do you want for player X'. While that may be annoying to some it's just as annoying to get random offers thy contain players you have no interest in, at least the guys asking what you want is trying to work with you instead of just shooting out blind offers to see if something sticks.

I also think it pretty easy to say, here are they guys in you're team in interested in and now with that info I'll let you make the first offer. Everyone is so damn sensitive.
Speaking of being sensitive...

My issue with the "what do you want for player X" routine is that it frequently happens with guys I say I'm not interested in moving. I always end up responding with "what I want is to keep him".

But I think the larger issue (from reading through this thread and personal experience) is that it seems the guys who pull the "what do you want..." routine are owners that are typically trying to get you to throw out the first offer. From the OP's example, both Team A and Team B's style of communication is horrible. Neither is able to commit to an offer.

DynastyBuilder515
Role Player
Role Player

Postby DynastyBuilder515 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:08 pm

Drives me nuts when people either won't make an initially offer or are interested in a deal but won't counter.

I'll often send an email saying I am interested in this guy would you be willing to move him but if they say yes the I MAKE AN OFFER!

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:11 pm

thebeast wrote:
basilthesnake wrote:Just finished a 60 round IDP/ppr dyno draft. I noticed during and after the draft that a handful of owners are using the same trade talk tactic.

Team A

Team B

Team A

I really Don't see why everyone gets in such a tizzy when another owner asks 'what do you want for player X'. While that may be annoying to some it's just as annoying to get random offers thy contain players you have no interest in, at least the guys asking what you want is trying to work with you instead of just shooting out blind offers to see if something sticks.

to me it is a geniune ? if you go to lowes they have the little price thingybobs right there on the shelf saving that why would it be foreign to ask what you want for an unpriced asset in an ever evolvinng market place ? Guyss that act holier than thou or like I am a burden for asking will likely have to pay premium if they ever come looking for a trade partner in the future. I make it perfectly clear everyone is always for sale but some prices can be pretty high and some players I just don't know for sure what I want but make an offer and perhaps it will trigger a sale .
Nothing is static some days dez will cost you 4 1sts some days maybe mike wallace and 2 & 1sts might get it done but always feel free to ask . I see guys all the time act like it is an inconvenience to talk trade , that is fine i understand busy , perhaps redraft is more their speed but I won't visit a shop where my business isn't welcomed .
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
β€” Leonardo da Vinci

DonBrazi
MVP
MVP

Postby DonBrazi » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:15 pm

We have this same discussion around here every few months, and it always turns into us railing against different things that we don't like. Pff! It really just boils down to different personalities. Some people like to do X, and some like to do Y. It's no big deal.

If you'd like to be maximally successful at trading, you gotta let your league know how approaching you would be the most successful AND be amenable to other people's styles. Just like in any other aspect of human social interaction, really. Trying to force people to play by your rules and not being willing to play by other peoples' rules isn't a long-term recipe for success.
IRL 12Team 28man 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1Flex, 1Superflex: PPR w/ small TE-Premium
Dak, Murray, Wentz, Darnold, Fitzpatrick
CEH, Gibson, Sanders, Javonte, Moss, Nwangwu
ARob, Sutton, ODB, Parker, Ruggs, Miller, Boykin
Waller, Hockenson, Pitts, OJH, Trautman, Gesicki, Everett
2022 1st (2), 2nd, 3rd, 4th

War Room 12Team 28man: 1QB, 1RB, 1WR, 1TE, 4Flex, 1Superflex: .5/1/1.5 Tiered-PPR, 1-Round Devy league
Dak, Murray, LJax, *Rattler
Etienne, AJD, Hubbard, Stevenson, Hawkins, *Spiller
Sutton, ODB, Jeudy, Reagor, Shenault, Rodgers, Kirk, Boykin, *G.Wilson
Hockenson, Jonnu, Firkser, Asiasi
2022 1st (2), 2nd, 3rd, *Devy 4th (2)