The my guys are gold your guys arent trade strategy

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Death_From_Above
Role Player
Role Player

The my guys are gold your guys arent trade strategy

Postby Death_From_Above » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:05 am

I'm sure a lot of people have had interactions with people that choose this philosophy/approach when they send you a trade. And normally I shrug it off and move on, but this one cause just got under my skin. I'm still trying to figure out how I am going to respond if I am at all. I mean the scenario given to me is an instant reject.. But like I said this one has gotten under my skin.. Here is the "way he is helping me out" with this trade and some of the context in his long email proposal.

Back story, he approached me saying he was interested in some of my guys, I told him to put together something and we can talk. Guys he was interested in are Cam, Maclin, M. Bryant.. Assets he has that I said I could be interested in are draft picks and flyer guys like Toon and Janis, possibly Josh Gordon.

16 team league, PPR & IDP, Deep rosters. Roster 42 players and 5 Taxi Squad.
Start 10 offensive, 1 Kicker and 9 Defenders.. QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/WR/WR/TE/OFF FLEX (RB/WR/TE) x2/K/DL/DL/LB/LB/LB/DB/DB/DB/ DEF FLEX (DL/LB/DB) x1
This dude wrote: My problem is I look too deep into the numbers sometimes. However, this time, I think it has just helped me to come up with what I thought would be fair offer. With all the player research I have done, it will be hard for me to consider a counter far from my initial.

I looked at the players I have interest in, and I must say they are good players, but I do not view them as elite. None of them and I will explain. First Cam Newton, I like Cam and he is young, but he has underperformed the last 3 seasons. His passing yards have declined every single season. So, I am still interested but I will not pay elite QB price for a guy when I can get a new fresh QB with my or 4th pick.
Cam finished the season with 240 points, the number 13 QB while missing 2 games due to injury.. He may not be Andrew Luck status but, well I will leave how I feel about him out of this.
This dude wrote: Then, the WRs, I like Bryant and Maclin. Unfortunately, Maclin signed a deal to move to KCC, with a QB in Alex Smith that has proven time and time again he can’t throw TDs to Wide Receivers. I see Bryant as the WR30, I don't have a lot of bad to say about him I just don't think he performs with Brown and Wheaton there.
I get it that its a downgrade or appears to be a downgrade the move from PHI to KC. I say appear cause this is a PPR league, I see Maclin's TDs taking a dip but his targets and receptions getting a bump. Regardless when you have to start 4 WR's and to stay competitive really start 6 in a 16 team league guys like Maclin in my opinion are valuable. And I'm not as high as others are on Bryant, but WR 30?, lol...
This dude wrote: That pretty much covers the 3 players I inquired about, now for mine..Josh Gordon is probably worth both Bryant and Maclin… unfortunately for me, he probably gets suspended the entire 2015 season. Good news, he is a FA after 2015 and if you follow the suspension and articles, he did not fail a drug test (marijuana) and actually has not failed a drug test since college. He was drug tested and alcohol was the culprit as you can read in a letter that ended up in an article he wrote at the end of the season called “An Open Letter to Charles Barkley & Co”. ..goes on to quote the article in its entirety ....
Janis and Toon are very interesting. I won’t talk up these guys. They definitely would have stayed on my roster and by 2016 I think both will be viable starters.
Gordon is pure talent, not going to sugar coat that but his upside is limited by the fact that he is a knuckle head off the field and cant get on the field. He's not worth 2 WR's in this league at their current production period. Toon & Janis are lottery picks. period.

The offer:
I give: Cam Newton QB, Jeremy Maclin WR, Martavius Bryant WR, Jelani Jenkins LB
I get: Josh Gordon WR, Nick Toon WR, Jeff Janis WR, Paul Worrilow LB, and 2016 1st rounder

Now I figured when I got an offer from him I would need to send a reply back and get it on track with where we both could find a middle ground or just call it that we couldn't make a deal. But this guy has the 1.2, 1.5, 1.9, 1.14, 2.2, 2.9, 3.2 and 3.14 in this draft.. I was expecting to get an offer of a 1st round pick and a flier guy for one of my guys that he was interested in... Not I give him 4 guys who are all better than anyone he is currently offering for fliers, a guy who cant get his act right and a future 1st.

How would you respond, if at all? I mean, after saying No to the offer..

*edited** Worrilow is obviously not a flier guy, but it would be hard for me to say that Worrilow is that much of an upgrade from Jenkins

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Re: The my guys are gold your guys arent trade strategy

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:23 am

That's a terrible offer. That said, he has every right to value players how he wants. Don't take offense to it; sometimes, you just can't get a deal done. When the two parties are that far apart in their player valuations, just walk away and try a different owner.
Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd

cp3
Role Player
Role Player

Postby cp3 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:24 am

I would just respond with a reject and say something like "our player valuations are pretty far apart, I don't see a deal in the works here"
and leave it at that so you don't burn any bridges.

Of course, after listening to this, you may want to burn the bridge and just call him an idiot and move on.

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:32 am

Simply say that the offer is very satisfactory and you see no reason to drag out a negotiation that is clearly too far apart. Thanks for the novel.

Csl312
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Csl312 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:37 am

cp3 wrote:I would just respond with a reject and say something like "our player valuations are pretty far apart, I don't see a deal in the works here"
I agree with this. That offer is terrible but it mostly sounds like a case of a guy who can't bear to part with unproven/unstable assets that he sees as having a shot at being big producers some day. At some point that dream needs to be let go though, and he seems to not be ready. I would just politely say you don't see a deal working out for these players.

Stevens61310
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Stevens61310 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:05 pm

I have to be honest almost all trade offers I receive are of this variety. Indeed in one league I have this one owner who thinks are his players are Platinum and my players are pig turds swimming in a bucket of human urine. Last month I finally told him that as much as I enjoyed fantasy football and talking trades his valuations on his players were for the most part much much higher than mine. Told him there was nothing wrong with how either of us value players. It's just something that is. But in al likelihood we would never be able to complete a trade

Tsunami
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tsunami » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:13 pm

Sour grapes. If you're interested in the player, don't talk them down. I know it's bs because you're interested. Especially don't talk them down after I reject your offer.

Broncopain
Captain
Captain

Postby Broncopain » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:22 pm

One thing I've always made it a point to do is not talk down my trade partners assets or overly hype mine. I mean let's face it there's a reason I'm interested in your guys and conversely you are mine. There is a guy that is in one of my leagues that constantly has to point out the greatness in his guys and the junk on yours. He's finding out the hard way that this behavior is noticed by the other ownes. Now the guy is stuck with an aging team and a league that is enjoying seeing him fall. My advice as hard as it is to do...stay classy.

heyfeefellskee
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby heyfeefellskee » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:30 pm

cp3 wrote:I would just respond with a reject and say something like "our player valuations are pretty far apart, I don't see a deal in the works here"

Of course, after listening to this, you may want to burn the bridge and just call him an idiot and move on.
The first part of what you should do as it is the most diplomatic (nice) way of saying no. I've had a couple of offers come my way that are way off, but I need to just say "sorry, I'm not on the same page value-wise" to a few people. Just move on.

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:33 pm

not a good offer but he laid out how he feels so you can work from there , if he won't budge then move along also gordon is not a free agent after 2015 unless he wins his appeal over the 1 game year end suspension as he didn't get the 6 games of service time to be credited with a year of service . Since the league seems to have it out for gordon and he does little to make himself a sympathetic figure I doubt he wins the appeal. Meaning cleveland owns him at least through 2016 that is a loooong time for him to stay off the goodell gestapo suspension radar.
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:36 pm

Stevens61310 wrote:I have to be honest almost all trade offers I receive are of this variety. Indeed in one league I have this one owner who thinks are his players are Platinum and my players are pig turds swimming in a bucket of human urine. Last month I finally told him that as much as I enjoyed fantasy football and talking trades his valuations on his players were for the most part much much higher than mine. Told him there was nothing wrong with how either of us value players. It's just something that is. But in al likelihood we would never be able to complete a trade

colorful picture you painted !
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

bigroddy
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby bigroddy » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:56 pm

Tsunami wrote:Sour grapes. If you're interested in the player, don't talk them down. I know it's bs because you're interested. Especially don't talk them down after I reject your offer.
I have to point this out to a couple guys in my leagues on a regular basis...clearly you don't think the player is crap or you wouldn't be trying to take him off my hands.

Death_From_Above
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Death_From_Above » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:00 pm

Thanks fellas. I know the right way to handle this is just as you all have stated. And saw in another league the repercussions one owner is dealing with now because he chose to be a pain in the butt to work with in other dealings.

As I said these offers I usually shrug off but this one for one reason or another just got to me. I needed to vent and this was me venting. I am however glad and appreciative of the responses to just kindly decline. That's what I see myself doing here in a little bit.

Thanks, and don't forget my guys are better than yours but I want them so I will give you a deal.. Lol

markeclipse
Captain
Captain

Postby markeclipse » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:28 pm

I generally reject and then think to myself how nice it is to have an owner that likely will never really be able to improve his team because they're only looking for a complete trade rape.
Team 1 (QB, 1-3 RBs, 1-3 WR, TE, K, D) PPR
QB - Rodgers, RGIII
RB - Charles, Lacy, Vereen
WR - Antonio Brown, Demaryius, Jeffery,Gordon
TE - Reed, Green
Picks: 8 '15 Firsts

team 2 (QB, 1-3 RBs, 1-3 WR, TE, K, D) PPR
QB - Arod. RGIII
RB - Forte, Gio, Hyde
WR - Dez, AJ, Jeffery, Floyd, Wright, Terrence Williams, Hunter, Hopkins
TE - Eifert, Ertz

Orphan Team:
QB: Foles; Tannehill
RB: Martin, Vereen, Michael, Bryce Brown, Stewart, David Wilson
WR: AJ Green, Cobb, Tavon, Stills
TE: Reed, Green

Death_From_Above
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Death_From_Above » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:37 pm

I gave him a kind reject message to the tune of I think our values are just off by too much and I appreciate him trying but I'm going to go in a different direction.

The response I got was "No problem at all, I am skittle shocked you didn't at least counter. I guess you were not as interested in trading as I thought. Nevertheless, I will be excited to stack my team this draft. Good luck in the future."

Seriously, I couldn't make this stuff up.. Skittle shocked I didn't give a counter.. By all means with 4 picks in the 1st round of this years draft he gets an opportunity to build his roster but as I said we start 4 WR's and to be competitive you really need to fill the 2 flex spots with a WR or a PPR RB..

His WR's are:
Josh Gordon, Kamar Aiken, Marlon Brown, Cole Beasley, Josh Boyce, Dwayne Harris, Jeremey Kerley, Greg Little, Cecil Shorts, Nick Toon and Jeff Janis which all together got him 551.46 points for the whole 2014 season.

Golden Tate and Jeremy Maclin got me 468.5 points last year between just them two.. I doubt 4 picks in the draft allows you to "stack" your team there, but hey...lol