Breakout WR's

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.

Which WR?

Devin Thomas
44%
Limas Sweed
20%
James Hardy
No votes
Mario Manningham
4%
Malcolm Kelly
2%
Earl Bennett
30%

Total votes: 50

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Breakout WR's

Postby Steelersfan » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:30 pm

These WR's have been "pimped" by us for various reasons while none of them have done squat as of yet. Which one will breakout and become a fantasy starter?

GridIronFavre
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby GridIronFavre » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:23 pm

Voted for Earl Bennett - everything is lining up for him to be successful. Chicago is desparate for a WR, and he used to hook up with Cutler at Vandy. Devin Thomas was a close second for me. I think that Thomas will get worked in this year more and more and should be a consistent producer in 2010.
Start: 2 QB, 3 RB, 5 WR, 2 TE (All TDs=6, 1 per 10 rush/rec, 1 per 25 pass, NO PPR) 8 teams
QB: Rodgers, Vick, Cutler, Schaub, Luck
RB: Rice, CJ, McFadden, Richardson, Stewart, Ingram, Spiller, Vereen
WR: Green, Marshall, Roddy, Jennings, Roddy, Bowe, Maclin, Britt, A Brown, Williams (TB), Collie, Smith (STL)
TE: Graham, Finley, F Davis, Cook
Taxi Squad: Tebow, Crabtree, Jeffrey, Hill, Gordon

Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Re: Breakout WR's

Postby Misfit74 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:28 pm

Steelersfan wrote:These WR's have been "pimped" by us for various reasons while none of them have done squat as of yet. Which one will breakout and become a fantasy starter?
I don't know about fantasy 'star', but Thomas could emerge in Washington. He has good talent and skills, and at least saw the field last season in limited action. For a group that nobody has shown much, yet, Thomas has shown something. He also was regarded by the NFL among the highest of all the guys listed. So, he has a few things going for him. If he's healthy (and reports on him are way better than his teammate Kelly) he could really do something as the WR1 or WR2 opposite Santana Moss this year. He should eventually move into the lead role when Santana is no longer there, who is getting a bit long in the tooth for a speed guy. I don't trust Kelly's knees whatsoever, so the future WR1 role should become Thomas' to lose.

Bennett will get the hype, but I think Thomas is has a higher ceiling - more talent. However, Cutler has made several receivers look good. Bennett has that going for him, which should help him, but Bennett saw zero action his rookie year.
#GoHawks / @am_misfit / Fractal Audio / Matrix Amplification / Axe FX II XL+ / ESP, Schecter Guitars

stevea
All Pro
All Pro

Postby stevea » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:30 pm

I like Sweed the best out of that group. Not only do I believe he has the most talent of everyone, he has had a very nice off-season and has a very clear edge on McDonald for the #3 for now. I think he becomes a viable fantasy starter if something happens to Ward or Holmes...

While he is everyone's s-exy choice now because of Cutler, I just don't see Earl Bennett picking up an NFL offense; Hester, Iglesias, and Rashied Davis have as much of a shot as he does in that system.
Last edited by stevea on Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

meineymoe
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby meineymoe » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:33 pm

I like Bennett starting this year, but Sweed long term, so I went Sweed.

-oo-

hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby hosler427 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:43 am

dlf_stevea wrote:I like Sweed the best out of that group. Not only do I believe he has the most talent of everyone, he has had a very nice off-season and has a very clear edge on McDonald for the #3 for now. I think he becomes a viable fantasy starter if something happens to Ward or Holmes...

While he is everyone's spam choice now because of Cutler, I just don't see Earl Bennett picking up an NFL offense; Hester, Iglesias, and Rashied Davis have as much of a shot as he does in that system.
I agree with Steve on this one...

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:17 pm

Went with Bennett. The only guy on this list who I think might have more talent is Sweed - and maybe Thomas. Situations do matter and I like Bennett's more than either of the others. He has both talent and opportunity to be successful short and long term.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

blacksheep
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby blacksheep » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:49 pm

It was a tough one between Bennett and Thomas. Steve has a good point about the WR depth in Chicago. I like the fact that Cutler will be tossing the ball and there seems to be a brewing QB controversy in D.C. Ultimately went with Thomas based on his higher skill level. Also considered Sweed but the Steeler run-first offense limits Sweed's effectiveness, I feel.

bigcsr67
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby bigcsr67 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:02 pm

meineymoe wrote:I like Bennett starting this year, but Sweed long term, so I went Sweed.

-oo-
I agree with Sweed long term, but for this poll I took Bennett.

thewhyterabbit
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby thewhyterabbit » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:46 pm

i like both bennett and thomas longterm, voted bennett because he will contribute sooner.

BradyT
Legend
Legend

Postby BradyT » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:50 pm

Bennett all the way this year with Cutler throwing the ball. Longtermwise I like Sweed and Thomas.
24 roster spots - 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1Flex

QB: Herbert,Minshew
RB: Breece,Walker,Taylor,BRobinson,Allgeier,Spiller
WR:Jefferson,Lamb,DJMoore,QJohnston,Jameson,MMims, T.Marshall,Shakir,Gallup
TE: Andrews,Conklin
DST:DAL
2024 picks: 1.11, 2.10, 4.01, 4.05, 4.07, 4.11

stevea
All Pro
All Pro

Postby stevea » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:57 am

Word out of the Windy City today is that Iglesias has the inside track to start in CHI w/ Devin Hester. Bennett just hasn't had good practices & dropped a lot of balls. Rashied Davis will most likely be their slot guy, so look for Bennett to come off the bench if things hold up.

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:04 am

dlf_stevea wrote:Word out of the Windy City today is that Iglesias has the inside track to start in CHI w/ Devin Hester. Bennett just hasn't had good practices & dropped a lot of balls. Rashied Davis will most likely be their slot guy, so look for Bennett to come off the bench if things hold up.
What about Johnny Knox? I heard he was doing well.

stevea
All Pro
All Pro

Postby stevea » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:11 am

Steelersfan wrote:
dlf_stevea wrote:Word out of the Windy City today is that Iglesias has the inside track to start in CHI w/ Devin Hester. Bennett just hasn't had good practices & dropped a lot of balls. Rashied Davis will most likely be their slot guy, so look for Bennett to come off the bench if things hold up.
What about Johnny Knox? I heard he was doing well.
I think they are leaning primarily KR/PR with Knox...he's pretty raw but he can definitely come off the bench or work the slot just fine. I really think that if you give him another year, he will be a great player for Chicago. Another reason why Bennett isn't the pick in this poll ;)

kris_kapsner
Legend
Legend

Postby kris_kapsner » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:33 am

I think Sweed, Thomas and Bennett all have a good shot at "breaking out". I voted for Bennett because I think it could happen earlier for him than the others. But, the others have higher potential ceilings in my opinion.
16 team PPR Est. 2002 (Champion: 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016)
Start: QB, 2-4WR, 2-3RB, 1-2TE, K, D
QB: Russell Wilson, Zach Wilson
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Chubb, Hunt, G. Bernard
WR: Adams, Metcalf, Callaway, Shepard, Watkins, Fuller, T. Williams, Proche
TE: Kelce, Pitts, Njoku, Seals-Jones
K: Gay
D: Vikings