Are the Duke Johnson comparisons true?

Interested in discussing college prospects? Or even High School Prospects? This is the forum.
Johnnygolf9
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Are the Duke Johnson comparisons true?

Postby Johnnygolf9 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:16 pm

Is Duke Johnson going to be as valubable as Shady? He is 4 inches shorter than Lesean and I already have durability issues am I right to have these doubts, or is he everything everyone says he is?

AS3Dynasty
Role Player
Role Player

Re: Are the Duke Johnson comparisons true?

Postby AS3Dynasty » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:27 am

I haven't seen any Shady comparisons yet. The players name that I keep seeing him attached to is Doug Martin, but better.
Team 1 - 10 Team, PPR, IDP, Year 2
1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 Flex, 1 TE, K, 2 LB, 2 DL, 2 DB
QB: Ryan, Palmer
RB: Gurley, Gordon, Hill, Gio, Spiller, Mason
WR: Julio, AJG, BMarsh, Cooks, JBrown, Wallace, Quick, Crowder, Huff
TE: Gates, Julius, Ladarius, Watson
K: Prater
LB: Bowman, Shazier, Posluszny
DL: Quinn, Hardy
DB: Chancellor, Talib, Norman
IR: JGordon, Fowler, Zenner

Team 2 - 10 Team, PPR, IDP-Tackle Heavy, Year 2
1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 Flex, 1 TE, K, 1 LB, 1 DL, 1 DB
QB: Tanny, Kaep, Bradford
RB: Foster, Hill, Yeldon, Abdullah, Duke, Bell, Blue, Mason
WR: AJG, Alshon, Floyd, Quick, Perriman, Dorsett, Huff, Conley, Woods, DSmith, Latimer, Coleman
TE: Reed, Rudolph, Watson
K: Bailey
LB: Ogletree, Telvin
DL: ABailey
DB: Cyprien
IR: Jordy, JGordon, DCobb

closports
Role Player
Role Player

Postby closports » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:48 am

The film that I've seen on draftbreakdown.com is not impressive to say the least. The includes the Nebraska, V-Tech, and Louisville games.

I'm far from an accomplished scout and will leave open the possibility (if not a probability) that I'm missing something here, but the tape to me showed the following negatives that I took note of:

-Doesn't seem to be sudden, twitchy athlete
-Cuts are gradual changes of direction
-Wiry lower half, not traditional RB build
-Goes down very easy, doesn’t break any tackles
-Poor balance

Here is one gif I clipped to illustrate general lack of inside explosiveness and the arm tackling that he struggles with
http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed ... cefulBunny

I'm happy to hear the counter point and be educated what I am missing.
8 team league - Year 5 - Standard - No PPR (no negatives for INT/FL)
2QB/3RB/4WR/1TE
QB: Ryan(T) – Rivers(T) – Kizer(2) – Mahomes(2)
RB: J.Howard(T) – Ajayi(T) – Cook(1) – Mixon(1) – Henry(1) – Abdullah(T) – Conner(4) – Cohen(8)
WR: Dez(T) – Cooks(T) – Parker(T) – Pryor Sr.(T) – Coleman(1) – Doctson(T) – Meredith(3)
TE: Kelce(5) - Engram(2)
(T) = traded for, (#) = taken in rookie/FA draft (rd selected), (W) = waiver claim
2018 Draft Picks: #'s 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4
2014 CHAMPION
***NEW*** Team Profile: http://imgur.com/a/rL8Gt

NYJ
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby NYJ » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:56 pm

closports wrote:The film that I've seen on draftbreakdown.com is not impressive to say the least. The includes the Nebraska, V-Tech, and Louisville games.

I'm far from an accomplished scout and will leave open the possibility (if not a probability) that I'm missing something here, but the tape to me showed the following negatives that I took note of:

-Doesn't seem to be sudden, twitchy athlete
-Cuts are gradual changes of direction
-Wiry lower half, not traditional RB build
-Goes down very easy, doesn’t break any tackles
-Poor balance

Here is one gif I clipped to illustrate general lack of inside explosiveness and the arm tackling that he struggles with

I don't know what you're watching because I see lateral agility as his biggest strength. He also has enough power to break some tackles and his balance certainly isn't a negative. From the gif above, it shows his lack of top end acceleration which is the reason he won't be a first round pick. But, he is a potential three down back as his blocking is decent and his receiving ability is very good.

I like this play which shows his vision and lateral agility...

closports
Role Player
Role Player

Postby closports » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:11 pm

Good to see that Cincinnati film. Draftbreakdown didnt have this game (yet i guess)

I'll agree that this play is impressive from both a lateral quickness and top end speed perspective. I cannot recall any plays in the 3 2014 games that I watched that popped like this. Could he have been hurt this year? Nursing something?

From what you've seen, do the other knocks I have listed on him apply?
2QB/3RB/4WR/1TE
RB: J.Howard(T) – Ajayi(T) – Cook(1) – Mixon(1) – Henry(1) – Abdullah(T) – Conner(4) – Cohen(8)
WR: Dez(T) – Cooks(T) – Parker(T) – Pryor Sr.(T) – Coleman(1) – Doctson(T) – Meredith(3)
(T) = traded for, (#) = taken in rookie/FA draft (rd selected), (W) = waiver claim
2014 CHAMPION

Pix
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Pix » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:43 pm

closports wrote: Here is one gif I clipped to illustrate general lack of inside explosiveness and the arm tackling that he struggles with

The thing about that run is it's from his own 4yd line with both hands firmly on the ball. I should imagine it's pretty hard to make cuts in "ball security" mode but he still manages 8 yards. In the other draftbreakdown clips he's clearly using his free arm effectively for balance and a few stiff-arms.

ConnSKINS26
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ConnSKINS26 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:46 pm

He doesn't have the lateral agility I was expecting, one on one in space.

He also just doesn't break tackles. Like, at all. I read a tweet saying this and scoffed, then went and re-watched some stuff where he had dazzled me with his hands and quicks...and it's true. He's pretty good at keeping defenders hands off him as long as possible, but once he's grabbed, it's over. He doesn't really break arm tackles.

For those reasons I don't think the McCoy comparison fits.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:44 am

Duke is awesome, but I don't buy him as a 3 down back. He reminds me of Gio Bernard, except I think he's going to be much better running between the tackles. He's got the same home run ability and speed, and is a very good receiver out the backfield. He's going to rise in mocks

closports
Role Player
Role Player

Postby closports » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:54 am

I think he's exciting for his big-play upside but I think his negatives have him towards the back of the tier 2 RB pack that includes: Ajayi, Coleman, etc, etc
2QB/3RB/4WR/1TE
2014 CHAMPION

StacheGang
Rookie
Rookie

Postby StacheGang » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:40 am

Shady 5'11 208
Duke 5'9 206

glider
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby glider » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:00 pm

The way Duke Johnson runs worries me that he won't last long without sustaining injuries. He goes 110% every play that I've seen, which works in college but is probably a bit more painful at the next level. Probably one of the more explosive backs in this class, but I think his time as a fantasy relevant back will be in short spurts or whenever he can stay healthy.
12-Team PPR 3rd Season (11th in '15, 1st in '16):
QB: Matt Ryan, Eli Manning, Jimmy Garoppolo
RB: Lamar Miller, Carlos Hyde, Mark Ingram, Ty Montgomery, Frank Gore, Jeremy Langford, Karlos Williams, Josh Ferguson
WR: Alshon Jeffery, Demaryius Thomas, Kelvin Benjamin, Randall Cobb, DeVante Parker, Kenny Britt, Pharoh Cooper, Mike Wallace
TE: Jordan Reed, Tyler Eifert, Maxx Williams, CJ Fiedorowicz

16 Team Standard Scoring Non-PPR, 4th season (9th in '14, 7th in '15, 1st in '16):
QB: Andrew Luck, Brock Osweiler
RB: Ezekiel Elliot, Lamar Miller, Spencer Ware, Doug Martin, Jeremy Hill, Jonathan Williams, Alfred Blue
WR: Mike Evans, TY Hilton, DeSean Jackson, Rishard Matthews, Kenny Britt, Kamar Aiken, Brian Quick, Bruce Ellington
TE: Jimmy Graham, Martellus Bennett, Zach Miller
D/ST: Broncos

ConnSKINS26
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ConnSKINS26 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:22 pm

StacheGang wrote:Shady 5'11 208
Duke 5'9 206
If anyone in this class is Shady, it's Abdullah, not Duke. Wrote this in another thread:

Abdullah is crazy dynamic, extremely creative. Makes cuts no one else in this class can duplicate. His ability to plant at any point and spring in another direction with perfect balance is nuts. Won't measure in as any kind of H/W/S freak but looks pretty well put together at 5'9" 205 or so. Catches the ball well, though underutilized in college--20+ catches each of his years starting, and looks natural. Won't time as a burner but pulls away more often than not.

Wait, did I just describe Abdullah or LeSean McCoy?

Seriously, read this and tell me who it's about:
Special vision for the cutback and in traffic. Plants his foot and accelerates. Very elusive in space, with shifty hips and an ability to juke or shake off a defender. Maintains his balance well after making a move or running through arm tackles on the outside. Runs with a lean inside, will bounce off tackles and keep his legs moving. Patient enough to allow blocks to develop on stretch plays to the outside. Very natural hands as a receiver; will excel on swing and screen passes.

McCoy disappointed in workouts but still went in the 2nd because the tape told a different story. Nothing about his size, speed, or other measurables said he'd be special (and he actually wasn't as productive in college as Abdullah was), but his tape was really good.

I'm having a really hard time separating Abdullah, Coleman, Ajayi...I like them all.

dirtyharris
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby dirtyharris » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:16 pm

The main thing I got from the above GIF of the run against Cin is that the Ref trailing him to the end zone has pretty good wheels. Is he declaring this year?

ConnSKINS26
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ConnSKINS26 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:04 pm

Thought my Abdullah/McCoy comparison would cause a stir lol.

closports
Role Player
Role Player

Postby closports » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:29 pm

ConnSKINS26 wrote:Thought my Abdullah/McCoy comparison would cause a stir lol.
The contrast in build between Shady and Abdullah will get most to shut down the comp right there. That being said, they do share some traits. To your point, I think Abdullah has some of the better "make you miss in space" ability of any back coming out this year which is a trait that Shady has in spades.

So, while I am not in full agreement with you, I see some play characteristics that caused you to throw it out there.
2QB/3RB/4WR/1TE
2014 CHAMPION