Best Running Back in 2015? (not including Gurley or Gordon)

Interested in discussing college prospects? Or even High School Prospects? This is the forum.

Who would you take in a rookie draft first?

Tevin Coleman
21%
Tj Yeldon
17%
Duke Johnson
22%
Jay Ajayi
21%
Mike Davis
8%
Ameer Abdullah
11%

Total votes: 138

Jimmy Jones
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Best Running Back in 2015? (not including Gurley or Gord

Postby Jimmy Jones » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:36 pm

Crazy how close this group of 6 is. I can't wrap my head around who is my #3 RB vs my #8 it's all just one big group and I like them all. I'd say Langford and Allen deserve consideration as well. This tier 2 group is a full step better than last years tier 1 group of Hyde, Hill, Mason, Seastrunk, Sankey, and Carey. Any rebuilders in need of RB depth should load up on second rounders.
The Green Bay Packers
10 Team Superflex, Pass Heavy Scoring
1QB, 1QB/RB/WR/TE, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1Def, 1K
Passing: 2pt/20yds 5pt/TD; Rushing/Receiving: 2pt/10yds; 1PPR

QB's: ARod, Rivers, Sanchez, Manziel, Mallett, Mettenberger
RB's: Charles, Lacy, Ellington, Oliver, Davis, Starks, CMike
WR's: Julio, Maclin, Sanders, Watkins, Crabtree, Patterson, Quick
TE's: Graham, Kelce, ASJ

ConnSKINS26
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ConnSKINS26 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:51 pm

Usually when a 2nd tier is this deep with this much disagreement, even this early in the process, it means one of two things: Its a good, deep class or its a poor, mediocre class. Its obvious the difference between this year and last year already, let's just hope the fantasy gods see fit to dole out the talent into the best situations possible, like what happened to this past years WR class.

Jimmy Jones
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Jimmy Jones » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:30 pm

ConnSKINS26 wrote:Usually when a 2nd tier is this deep with this much disagreement, even this early in the process, it means one of two things: Its a good, deep class or its a poor, mediocre class. Its obvious the difference between this year and last year already, let's just hope the fantasy gods see fit to dole out the talent into the best situations possible, like what happened to this past years WR class.
Sammy Watkins would like to have a word with you.
The Green Bay Packers
10 Team Superflex, Pass Heavy Scoring
1QB, 1QB/RB/WR/TE, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1Def, 1K
Passing: 2pt/20yds 5pt/TD; Rushing/Receiving: 2pt/10yds; 1PPR

QB's: ARod, Rivers, Sanchez, Manziel, Mallett, Mettenberger
RB's: Charles, Lacy, Ellington, Oliver, Davis, Starks, CMike
WR's: Julio, Maclin, Sanders, Watkins, Crabtree, Patterson, Quick
TE's: Graham, Kelce, ASJ

ConnSKINS26
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ConnSKINS26 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:28 pm

Jimmy Jones wrote:
ConnSKINS26 wrote:Usually when a 2nd tier is this deep with this much disagreement, even this early in the process, it means one of two things: Its a good, deep class or its a poor, mediocre class. Its obvious the difference between this year and last year already, let's just hope the fantasy gods see fit to dole out the talent into the best situations possible, like what happened to this past years WR class.
Sammy Watkins would like to have a word with you.
Good point, although it did seem he'd overcome the situation for a good chunk of the season. And if anyone can, it will be him, in the long term.

But he wasn't in the 2nd tier of WR's, which is kind of what I was comparing this years 2nd tier of RB's to.

jay$$
Rookie
Rookie

Postby jay$$ » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:34 am

Duke for me. The Shady comparison is where i would go too.
Commissioner

Signing Day FFL Superflex IDP Dev league
NCAAFFL- Dev league
NCAAFFL 2 - IDP dev league
Recruiting Wars - Superflex Dev league
Home of The Brave - IDP dev league
Adult Beversge 2.0 - Salary cap, superflex, IDP league

glider
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby glider » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:19 am

I'm going to agree and say TJ Yeldon. Scary speed and shiftiness for his size, a bit tall, but a solid runner. I'm an Alabama fan, but just for the record, the last Bama running back I thought would struggle in the NFL was Eddie Lacy, and you see how that worked out. Yeldon has had five or six outstanding games with a half-rebuilt offensive line (not close to what it was with Ingram/TRich/Lacy) and if not for Amari Cooper, he would be getting much more of the ball. I would've chosen Duke Johnson, but I just don't see how he stays healthy while maintaining his explosiveness, which is his greatest positive. Definitely a fan of Coleman, but not many big ten backs have succeeded recently, except for Le'Veon Bell of course. Haven't seen much of Ajayi and Abdullah needs to gain 10-15 pounds in my opinion.
12-Team PPR 3rd Season (11th in '15, 1st in '16):
QB: Matt Ryan, Eli Manning, Jimmy Garoppolo
RB: Lamar Miller, Carlos Hyde, Mark Ingram, Ty Montgomery, Frank Gore, Jeremy Langford, Karlos Williams, Josh Ferguson
WR: Alshon Jeffery, Demaryius Thomas, Kelvin Benjamin, Randall Cobb, DeVante Parker, Kenny Britt, Pharoh Cooper, Mike Wallace
TE: Jordan Reed, Tyler Eifert, Maxx Williams, CJ Fiedorowicz

16 Team Standard Scoring Non-PPR, 4th season (9th in '14, 7th in '15, 1st in '16):
QB: Andrew Luck, Brock Osweiler
RB: Ezekiel Elliot, Lamar Miller, Spencer Ware, Doug Martin, Jeremy Hill, Jonathan Williams, Alfred Blue
WR: Mike Evans, TY Hilton, DeSean Jackson, Rishard Matthews, Kenny Britt, Kamar Aiken, Brian Quick, Bruce Ellington
TE: Jimmy Graham, Martellus Bennett, Zach Miller
D/ST: Broncos

nwhalen
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby nwhalen » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:50 pm

In order I like: Ajayi, Coleman, Davis, Yeldon, Duke, Abdullah.

Ajayi has the best overall game with the fewest flaws. He is a dynamic athlete, creative runner, good hands, and unbelievable determination.

dlf_robw
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby dlf_robw » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:19 am

dlf_nickw wrote:In order I like: Ajayi, Coleman, Davis, Yeldon, Duke, Abdullah.

Ajayi has the best overall game with the fewest flaws. He is a dynamic athlete, creative runner, good hands, and unbelievable determination.
I think this turns out to be the second tier of runners. I'd switch around the order but see these as Day 2 guys along with Buck Allen.

If Jonathan Williams had declared, he'd be in the mix as well. Booker could join the party.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:51 am

I've been watching Ajayi a lot lately. He looks the part of a 3 down back and is a big, strong back with good hands out the backfield. Hes a very good athlete. I'm not sure about his vision or creativity though. Every game I watch, he looks average between the tackles but looks unstoppable bouncing it to the outside. I have Gurley, Gordon, Coleman, Davis and probably Duke ahead of him for now.

dlf_robw
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby dlf_robw » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:03 pm

I'd add Josh Robinson to that second-tier. He declared today. If I had to rank them at the moment:

1 - Melvin Gordon
2 - Todd Gurley

3 - Tevin Coleman
4 - Jay Ajayi
5 - Duke Johnson

6 - Josh Robinson
7 - T.J. Yeldon
8 - Ameer Abdullah

9 - Javorius Allen
10 - Mike Davis

RightlegTucker
All Pro
All Pro

Postby RightlegTucker » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:00 pm

dcog17 wrote:I'm going to agree and say TJ Yeldon. Scary speed and shiftiness for his size, a bit tall, but a solid runner. I'm an Alabama fan, but just for the record, the last Bama running back I thought would struggle in the NFL was Eddie Lacy, and you see how that worked out. Yeldon has had five or six outstanding games with a half-rebuilt offensive line (not close to what it was with Ingram/TRich/Lacy) and if not for Amari Cooper, he would be getting much more of the ball. I would've chosen Duke Johnson, but I just don't see how he stays healthy while maintaining his explosiveness, which is his greatest positive. Definitely a fan of Coleman, but not many big ten backs have succeeded recently, except for Le'Veon Bell of course. Haven't seen much of Ajayi and Abdullah needs to gain 10-15 pounds in my opinion.
After watching tape on Yeldon he might be my favorite as well. Great patience, vision, balance, and shiftiness.

nwhalen
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby nwhalen » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:09 am

Cameron Giles wrote:

I've been watching Ajayi a lot lately. He looks the part of a 3 down back and is a big, strong back with good hands out the backfield. Hes a very good athlete. I'm not sure about his vision or creativity though. Every game I watch, he looks average between the tackles but looks unstoppable bouncing it to the outside. I have Gurley, Gordon, Coleman, Davis and probably Duke ahead of him for now.
I probably should define what I mean by creative. The general rule of them for RBs is to get 3 yards....no matter the blocking or defensive front. Now that doesn't always happen obviously, but it's the RBs job to make something out of nothing. Some RBs are great at it and some are terrible. The ones who excel are flexible(hips, ankles), quick, powerful, determination, and the mindset. Sometimes I believe he gets a little too off balance running inside, but I think he is a very creative runner. Makes something out of nothing and lots of YAC. On the flip side, I think Tevin Coleman isn't a creative runner. He's a north/south back that doesn't have the flexibility or short area quickness to make something out of nothing.

Leoj
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Leoj » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:06 am

I've really fallen in love with Ajayi after watching his tape. I'm sure Gordon is more appealing to most NFL teams as a pure runner sort of guy, but he's not a 3DRB. Maybe this limits him in fantasy, maybe not. I mean, Jeremy Hill doesn't play much on third down but has the talent to get it done. Ajayi has a bit less homerun potential but I love that he can run through contact, has nice balance, and is great catching out of the backfield. If he lands somewhere in a good situation he shoots way up my board.
12 team standard - 3rd year
Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 WR/TE, 1 WR/RB/TE, 1 Superflex

QB - Foles, Bridgewater, Bortles
RB - Gurley, M. Jones, D. Johnson, Sims, McKinnon, Rawls
WR - J. Matthews, A. Robinson, D. Adams, Landry, K. Wright, D. Parker, Quick
TE - Kelce, Ladarius Green

ConnSKINS26
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ConnSKINS26 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:19 pm

Abdullah is crazy dynamic, extremely creative. Makes cuts no one else in this class can duplicate. His ability to plant at any point and spring in another direction with perfect balance is nuts. Won't measure in as any kind of H/W/S freak but looks pretty well put together at 5'9" 205 or so. Catches the ball well, though underutilized in college--20+ catches each of his years starting, and looks natural. Won't time as a burner but pulls away more often than not.

Wait, did I just describe Abdullah or LeSean McCoy?

Seriously, read this and tell me who it's about:
Special vision for the cutback and in traffic. Plants his foot and accelerates. Very elusive in space, with shifty hips and an ability to juke or shake off a defender. Maintains his balance well after making a move or running through arm tackles on the outside. Runs with a lean inside, will bounce off tackles and keep his legs moving. Patient enough to allow blocks to develop on stretch plays to the outside. Very natural hands as a receiver; will excel on swing and screen passes.

McCoy disappointed in workouts but still went in the 2nd because the tape told a different story. Nothing about his size, speed, or other measurables said he'd be special (and he actually wasn't as productive in college as Abdullah was), but his tape was really good.

I'm having a really hard time separating Abdullah, Coleman, Ajayi...I like them all.

Plank
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Plank » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:38 am

Keep hearing over and over on twitter ... that Coleman only wins in space, is too stiff, and is going to have problems transitioning in the NFL...
@PlankMelody