Superflex/TE Premium Strategy

Given the increase in popularity for SF and 2QB leagues, this forum is intended for topics relating to these formats.
slimbo737
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Superflex/TE Premium Strategy

Postby slimbo737 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:43 am

There does not seem to be a ton of information out there regarding strategies for a superflex dynasty start up (especially factoring in 1.5 PPR for TE). So I figured I would come here and get some opinions as there are usually some interesting takes on these forums.

From what I've seen, usually the comment "QBs are gold" comes up a lot and that you want to make sure that you secure 2 QBs in your 1st 3 picks...at minimum. Is this universally considered the prevailing strategy? It seems to me that this would open the door for significant value being available at other positions (WR, RB, or even TE considering the bonus) at the top of the draft.

I appreciate your well informed comments on this subject :D
12 Team PPR 45 man roster
Start 1QB/2RB/3WR/1TE/1(RB/WR/TE)/1DT/2DE/3LB/3DB
QB-Wilson/E.Manning/Glennon/Mettenberger
RB-McCoy/Spiller/Crowell/Michael/Ingram/Freeman/Carey/Taliaferro/Sims/Oliver/Da.Williams/Grimes
WR-De.Thomas/Floyd/Dobson/Latimer/A.Robinson/P.Richardson/Moncrief/Quick/Stills/Ja.Wright
TE-Eifer/Allen/ASJ/Ga.Graham/Gillmore
DT-McDonald/Easley
DE-Gilberry/Hughes/Mi.Daniels/D.Jones
LB-Wagner/Laurinaitis/D.Smith/Mosley/Lamur/Jenkins/Marshall
DB-Cyprien/Swearinger/Jefferson

12 Team PPR (TE 1.5 PPR) 44 man roster
Start 1QB/2RB/3WR/1TE/1(QB/RB/WR/TE)/2DL/3LB/2DB/1(DL/LB/DB)
QB-Wilson/Bridgewater/Hoyer/A.Davis/Sanchez
RB-Hill/Michael/Hyde/Sims/McKinnon/Da.Williams/Carey/Grimes/Reaves/Cadet
WR-D.Thomas/Watkins/Floyd/T.Smith/Hopkins/Adams/Latimer/Huff/D.Moore/Norwood/Kearse
TE-Eifert/Allen/Escobar/Paul/Thompson/Gilmore
DL-Dareus/Daniels/Hughes/Donald
LB-Kendricks/Mosley/Minter/Kirksey/Jenkins/Lamur/Ford
DB-McDonald/Jefferson/Lewis

Ron_Y
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Superflex/TE Premium Strategy

Postby Ron_Y » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:25 am

Well for your particular strategy itll depend on where you pick. My only leagues are either 2QB or Superflex, and both are 2TE, which adds a monster amount of value to TE as well.

In the most recent startup (2nd team below), many of us posted our strategies and while they all varied slightly, the core beliefs were the same.

My outlook is that there are a top 3 picks in a 2QB startup that, regardless of TE premium...will be the same. Rodgers, Luck, Newton. In whatever order you prefer, they should be the top 3. After that is where it gets interesting. You see some of the other guys like Brees go in the end of the first, but that middle of the 1st round area is really nice. You can nab a guy like Graham (TE premium he probably goes 4 or 5), AJ, Calvin, etc. I like that area. In a league such as yours and my first team listed below, when 2 QB's are a mandatory start, you REALLY need to grab that 1st and 2nd quarterback sooner rather than later. You never know which member of the league is going to hoard QB's to trade for a kings ransom later, you dont want to be the guy having to pay way too much for say, Alex Smith. My strategy was to take Newton at 1.3, and then i took Rivers a few rounds later. A vet who produces well and provides stability along with Newton. Waiting to take Rivers allowed me to pick up Alshon, Demarco, and K. Allen in the rounds beforehand though, which was very nice. Now i could have had Kaepernick or someone of that sort in the 2nd, but like you said, talent falls, so i did not want to pass on Alshon who i believed to be the last elite WR left, and Demarco who i believe is a stud RB in the 3rd, and then K. Allen. After your 2QB's are taken its ALOT of BPA, and dont feel pressured to jump on TE's. My most recent 2TE startup (placingmore value than just 1.5PPR, we get 1PPR), i still waited for a LONG time and ended up with Vernon Davis. Cook, Reed, Rudolph were all available in the same area and that is when we somehow had to get 2 solid starters at least. When you only need 1TE dont let that extra PPR pointage make you lose sight of other players who may be more valuable. Stick to your rankings and adjust your TE's up only by whatever margin your PPR difference is.
Primary League10 Team, 2QB, 2TE, .5 PPR: 3x Champion, 1x Runner Up
QB: Herbert, Carr, Howell
RB: Saquon, Mixon, A. Jones Henderson, Mitchell, CEH, Wilson
WR: Jefferson, Chase, Amon-Ra, Meyers, QJohnston, Zay. Mooney
TE: Kelce, Higbee, Parham, Likely,

slimbo737
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby slimbo737 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:24 pm

Very detailed response. Thanks for taking the time!
12 Team PPR 45 man roster
Start 1QB/2RB/3WR/1TE/1(RB/WR/TE)/1DT/2DE/3LB/3DB
QB-Wilson/E.Manning/Glennon/Mettenberger
RB-McCoy/Spiller/Crowell/Michael/Ingram/Freeman/Carey/Taliaferro/Sims/Oliver/Da.Williams/Grimes
WR-De.Thomas/Floyd/Dobson/Latimer/A.Robinson/P.Richardson/Moncrief/Quick/Stills/Ja.Wright
TE-Eifer/Allen/ASJ/Ga.Graham/Gillmore
DT-McDonald/Easley
DE-Gilberry/Hughes/Mi.Daniels/D.Jones
LB-Wagner/Laurinaitis/D.Smith/Mosley/Lamur/Jenkins/Marshall
DB-Cyprien/Swearinger/Jefferson

12 Team PPR (TE 1.5 PPR) 44 man roster
Start 1QB/2RB/3WR/1TE/1(QB/RB/WR/TE)/2DL/3LB/2DB/1(DL/LB/DB)
QB-Wilson/Bridgewater/Hoyer/A.Davis/Sanchez
RB-Hill/Michael/Hyde/Sims/McKinnon/Da.Williams/Carey/Grimes/Reaves/Cadet
WR-D.Thomas/Watkins/Floyd/T.Smith/Hopkins/Adams/Latimer/Huff/D.Moore/Norwood/Kearse
TE-Eifert/Allen/Escobar/Paul/Thompson/Gilmore
DL-Dareus/Daniels/Hughes/Donald
LB-Kendricks/Mosley/Minter/Kirksey/Jenkins/Lamur/Ford
DB-McDonald/Jefferson/Lewis

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:46 pm

The team that ends up with Brees & Russell Wilson (let's say) will be a playoff contender.

But he'll lose to the team that grabbed elite players elsewhere early on, and got lucky with his later picked QBs becoming elite (or putting up elite numbers) during the season. In 2011 I did a superflex startup, and the league champion that year went undefeated. I've never seen that been done before. He grabbed WRs & RBs early on, and took Eli in the 5th (Eli put up stud numbers in 2011) and rookie Cam Newton in the 9th. In another superflex league that I drafted in 2010, I took Brees at 1.12 & Stafford (2nd year in the league but hadn't blown up yet) at 5.12.

And the loser of loser teams will be those who waited on QBs, and ended up with duds like Flacco & Manuel, or got unlucky when their QBs underperformed (like Kap & Ryan last year).

hamburglar
All Pro
All Pro

Postby hamburglar » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:36 pm

I've done three such league start ups. All 10 teamers/35 man rosters.

In the first two leagues I went very QB heavy and tried to focus on building TE as well via the draft. The third is one I commish in it's second year and I decided to challenge myself and test the same theory you had-- that there is non QB value to be had because everyone goes so QB crazy. That team is in it's 2nd season and it Fites Legion in sig-- I had Sam Bradford as well but traded him away for picks that turned into Beckham JR and Serafin Jenkins.

I actually expected the team to bleep the bed and get the 1st pick and take Bridgewater -- but I ended up as the 5th best record/points team in the league. I could have and maybe should have taken Bortles instead of Jordan Matthews in the first round-- but I really wanted Matthews. I picked up the Houston QB on the cheap for a 1-2 yr rental hopefully.

My other teams?

Los Pollos Hermanos - this team won championship in year one, lost in first round of playoffs in year two

Luck, Foles, Matty Ice, Rivers, Osweiller
Shady, Vereen, CJ?K, Pierce, Knowshon, Kendall Hunter
Julio, Gordon, AntBrown, Boldin, Wayne, Britt
Rudolph, Fleener, Ertz, Tony Gonz, Clay, Vance Mac

Hollywood Hamburglars - team lost in first round of playoffs both seasons. League likely folding this year as the commish bolted.

A-Rod, Foles, Matty Ice, Russell Wilson, Tannehill
Spiller, Ben Tate, Ryan Matthews, Ingram
Nicks, Jordy, Hunter, Randle, DJax, Terrance Williams
Olsen, Eiffert, Pettigrew and both Zach and Heath Miller, DwayAll

Picking Foles up after the draft off the scrap heap was huge in all of the leagues-- but as my experience with the Hamburglars showed me-- even with a ridiculous QB corps-- you solid players manning the other positions. I think Osweiller is the next Foles for Superflex -- which is why I've been holding him

hamburglar
All Pro
All Pro

Postby hamburglar » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:47 pm

People are sleeping on Flacco is dyansty superflex too-- He's a QB2 on Fites Legion that I'd love to see become my QB 3, but he's signed up long term as Baltimore's starter and he had a down 2013-- I think he can be had on the cheaper end of things in Superflex start ups and be a valuable member of a platoon--- Alex Smith is the same type of player.