Bishop Sankey: Tale of the Tape

Interested in discussing college prospects? Or even High School Prospects? This is the forum.
kmbryant09
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Bishop Sankey: Tale of the Tape

Postby kmbryant09 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:20 am

This is the third of a series of posts that breaks down some of the top prospects in this year's draft. I know someone is already breaking down some QB's, so I'll steer clear or those guys, focusing primarily on WR's & RB's (maybe a few TE's).

Note - As you probably know, I am by no means a scout. I'm just an avid dynasty player that enjoys watching film (not just YouTube highlights) and writing about my thoughts. Agree, disagree, or even ignore at your own choosing! On to the tape...

What I liked about Bishop Sankey:
+Sankey is a low-to-the-ground runner that displays very good balance. His low center of gravity and pad level allow him to play with more power than his size would suggest.
+He's got excellent vision and great patience - 2 very underrated aspects of being a great RB in the NFL.
+He's very decisive. When the designed hole opens up, he's very quick to and through the hole. Does a great job of sticking his outside foot in the ground and exploding upfield.
+Sankey is a natural receiver. He wasn't used as a primary route runner (like a Reggie Bush role), but he's got very good hands and looked comfortable catching the ball.
+As I alluded to earlier, he's got sneaky power for a smallish back. He doesn't run people over, but his low center of gravity allows him to fall forward more often than not, picking up hidden yards on a lot of carries.
+Because of the above point, he's also very good at finding the endzone.
+Above-average lateral agility, although he won't be mistaken for LeSean McCoy. I think the key for Sankey is that he knows exactly when to bounce runs outside. Despite not being a super athlete, he always "takes the edge" when he bounces runs outside and beats defenders to the corner.
+He's a no-nonsense RB with the ball in his hands. By that I mean he's very efficient - he doesn't waste a lot of time waiting for holes to open up, waiting for blockers, running outside, changing directions, etc. There's very little wasted movement and he does a great job of moving North-South.
+Very very quick feet. I think Darren Sproles has the fastest feet in the NFL, and Wes Welker is a close 2nd. Sankey's feet and steps are very fast, which is why he can be more elusive than you'd think.
+He's proven his durability. Some may question his size (I'm guessing he'll measure in at the combine at 5'9" and 200-205 pounds), but he was a true workhorse in college. While he was used more than some NFL teams/evaluators/fans would have probably liked, he certainly doesn't come with usage concerns like Montee Ball. And to anyone concerned about Sankey's build, just click the link below...He's the "skinny" one on the left:
http://instagram.com/p/iXe1UpnlAK/#

What I didn't like about Bishop Sankey:
-His pass protection wasn't great. There were times when he stood strong and took on a blitzing LB head-on, but too many times that he didn't. He has a tendency to just lower his head and go low - which often results in a short-lived block or a dreaded "whiff".
-He doesn't cleanly make people miss as often as you'd like. A lot of the times, his jukes and moves net him an extra 3-5 yards, but don't completely break him free of the defenders. Although in his defense, he put some serious jukes on an Oregon defender on a 4th & 1 play - turned a No Gain run into a 50+ yard Touchdown.
-Sankey doesn't possess elite speed/athleticism. I wouldn't call him slow by any means, but he isn't a trackstar like Seastrunk or a juke stick like Carey. He likely won't blow people's minds with his 40 time at the combine, but I'm okay with that. His big runs are more a result of his vision and acceleration to and through the hole, rather than his (lack of) elite athleticism.

NFL Draft Projection: Early 2nd round - Middle 3rd round.

Dynasty League Draft Projection: Middle of the 1st round.

NFL Comparison: When I watch Sankey play, I can't help but envision a Doug Martin type of runner. I know Martin plays a little heavier - 220 compared to 200ish for Sankey - but they styles of play are very similar. Both are natural receivers out of the backfield. Both show great patience & vision at the line of scrimmage, with great ability to accelerate to and through a hole when they find one. Neither one of them possess elite athleticism, but they aren't held back in any way by their lack of elite measurables. Both Sankey and Martin have great footwork, which - along with their efficiency - allows them to overcome their pedestrian explosiveness.

NFL/Fantasy Career: So much of a RB's impact is determined by their landing spots, so this is probably something I'll have to re-address for all RB prospects after the NFL draft. But I really like Sankey's game and I think at least 1 team will view Sankey as an immediate, productive starter. He may not be a true difference maker like LeSean McCoy, Adrian Peterson, or Marshawn Lynch, but very few RB's are. Assuming he's drafted by a team that needs a starter (Cleveland, Jacksonville, Tennessee, to name a few), Sankey could be in a position to be the OROY in the NFL, and could put up borderline top10 numbers early in his career. While he doesn't project as an elite, elite RB, I have confidence that he's talented enough to hold onto a starting job long-term. In the right situation, we could be looking at a top5 dynasty RB by the end of 2014.
10-team/.5 PPR Q RR WWW TE FF
QB: J. Hurts, K. Murray
RB: Bi. Robinson, D. Henry, D. Achane, , J. Cook, Z. Charbonnet, T. Chandler, R. Johnson, K. Mitchell, J.K. Dobbins, T. Allgeier, J. McLaughlin, S. Tucker, T. Bigsby
WR: G. Wilson, B. Aiyuk, J. Waddle, T. Higgins,, Z. Flowers, Di. Johnson, K. Coleman, AD Mitchell
TE: K. Pitts, E. Engram

12-team PPR/SF/TEP (+1PPR) Q RR WW TE FFF SF
QB - J. Hurts / D. Prescott / J. Love / B. Nix
RB - J. Taylor / K. Walker / J. Mixon / J. Brooks / D. Singletary / J. McLaughlin
WR - B. Aiyuk / K. Allen / S. Diggs / R. Odunze / X. Worthy / T. Franklin / J. Palmer / G. Davis / R. Doubs
TE - M. Andrews / D. Kincaid

Butt Liqueur
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Bishop Sankey: Tale of the Tape

Postby Butt Liqueur » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:37 am

Oooooooooo, this gave me goosebumps :dance:

16 Team, PPR
(1 QB, 1 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 FLEX)
QB: J. Cutler, M. Mariota, M. Cassel, C. Henne, A. McCarron, D. Fales
RB: J. Bell, F. Gore, R. Bush, D. Williams, R. Helu, L. Dunbar, J. Allen, K. Williams, C. Artis-Payne
WR: J. Jones (ATL), J. Nelson, A. Hawkins, C. Johnson (MIN), A. Robinson, R. Randle, K. Thompkins, B. Ellington, H. Douglas, D. Harris, M. Campanaro, J. Hardy, J. Saunders, D. Moore, I. Blakeney, T. Lippett
TE: C. Clay, A. Quarless, A. Sefarian-Jenkins, J. Cumberland, W. Saxton

Draft Picks: 2016 2 3rds, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th

DJB
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby DJB » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:26 pm

Another great writeup!
Follow me on Twitter @NickDynastyff

guyatwork37
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby guyatwork37 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:52 pm

Nice! Sankey has been growing on me as I've read more. Very interested to see this combine.

NewtotheBiz
Starter
Starter

Postby NewtotheBiz » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:22 pm

Mentioned it in another thread, but I see a lot of Gio Bernard in Sankey, especially as a receiver and having that sneaky power.
16-tm, 1-PPR, (SK:TK 3:1.5)
1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1K 3DL 4LB 4DB

QB: Brady, Dalton
RB: Murray, DMart, Bernard, R Mathews, K Dixon
WR: Bryant, OBJ, Evans, Ty Hill, M Jones, Ty Williams, Gabriel, Beasley, Inman, Peake
TE: Eifert, J Thomas, Tye
K: Walsh
DL: Ansah, Wake, C Johnson, M Johnson, Fowler, Ygakoue
LB: D Jones, J Hicks, D Harris, Compton, M Kendricks
DB: Church, Graham, Quin, McDougald

12-tm Devy, .5PPR, (SK:TK 5:1)
1QB 2-3RB 3-5WR 1-2TE 3DL 3LB 3DB

QB: Cam, Stafford, E Manning, Cousins
RB: Bell, McCoy, Martin, Lacy, JStew, J White, J Rodgers
WR: Brown, OBJ, D Bryant, M Thomas, Decker, M Jones, Gabriel, Garcon, T Smith
TE: Reed, Henry, Rudolph
DL: Mack, Donald, Cox, Richardson, M Jackson, Spence
LB: Shazier, T Davis, Barron, Ingram, Barron, Kerrigan
DB: K Coleman, Nelson, Addae

FF_EJuggernaut
Role Player
Role Player

Postby FF_EJuggernaut » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:17 pm

Great eye and write up.

If he puts on 10 to 15 pounds he's going to be a stud. Can't wait to see where he ends up being drafted.
12 Team Dynasty PPR 4 per Pass TD

P.Manning
D.Martin J.Charles L.Miller C.Thompson M.Gillislee
P.Garçon J.Blacmon C.Givens A.Jeffery J.Kerley S.Holmes L.Hankerson M.Floyd(SD)
J.Graham R.Housler
Cincy DS/T

zounder
Role Player
Role Player

Postby zounder » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:01 pm

This series is great, thanks for the insight!
-Nick Canzanese
@FF_NickCanz

Chandler Bing
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Chandler Bing » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:08 pm

Thanks kmBryant I appreciate your posts on these prospects. Keep up the good work

aaroneous
Captain
Captain

Postby aaroneous » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:43 pm

Dude is easily one of my top 3. He looks good-very good in pretty much every aspect of the game I want a RB to be able to shine in.
Team 1 -12 team ppr league - 23 man roster/4 man TS - 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 RB/WR/TE, 1 TE

QB Rivers, Kaepernick
RB Foster, Peterson, Spiller, Khiry Robinson, Riddick,
WR Demayrius, James Jones, Crabtree, Dobson, Boyce, Holmes, Malcolm Floyd, Goodwin
TE Cameron, Pitta, Bostick, Kelce, Griffin

2014: 2.01, 2.03, 2.04, 2.09, 2.10; 3.01, 3.02, 3.04, 3.05, 3.09

Team 2 - 12 team ppr - 21 man roster/4 man TS - 1QB 2-4RB 2-4WR 1-3TE 1 DST 1 K
QB - Romo, Vick
RB - Lamar, Greene, Woodhead, Pierre Thomas, Daniel Thomas, Helu
WR - Gordon, Jeffery, Floyd, Cruz, Bailey, Blackmon, Britt, Holmes, Patton, Steve Smith
TE - Green, Witten, Robinson
2014: 1.08, 2.05, 3.08, 4.05

Follow me on Twitter! https://twitter.com/a_swinderman

DJB
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby DJB » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:58 pm

Sankey reminds me of Moreno when I watch him.
Follow me on Twitter @NickDynastyff

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:21 am

I agree with the bernard comparison more than moreno or martin for sure
I do not think he is quite as elusive as bernard but I see the similarity
he too has grown on me far surpassing my early rb1 (seastrunk)
as of right now before I do more research it is a toss up between he mason and carey for my rb1 slot
I enjoyed the write up as I value thought pieces that force me to research guys skill level/ potential more.
well done
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

Vendetta
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Vendetta » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:02 am

These "tale of the tape" threads are easily my favorite on the entire board. Thanks so much for the well researched material!

FF_EJuggernaut
Role Player
Role Player

Postby FF_EJuggernaut » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:13 am

I have a request if you take them

Odell Beckham Jr LSU

Hear a lot of people like him a lot, I've seen him as high as #2 #3 at WR. I like the very limited tape I've watched on him but if guys hold him in that regard he has to be a player if need to study more and would love to hear your take on him.
12 Team Dynasty PPR 4 per Pass TD

P.Manning
D.Martin J.Charles L.Miller C.Thompson M.Gillislee
P.Garçon J.Blacmon C.Givens A.Jeffery J.Kerley S.Holmes L.Hankerson M.Floyd(SD)
J.Graham R.Housler
Cincy DS/T

guyatwork37
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby guyatwork37 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:33 am

Right now my top backs are Hyde, Carey, Sankey (in no particular order) followed by Mason and Seastunk. Seastrunk has fallen in recent weeks while Mason has moved up. Draft will really dictate things.

kmbryant09
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby kmbryant09 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:05 pm

Vendetta wrote:These "tale of the tape" threads are easily my favorite on the entire board. Thanks so much for the well researched material!
Thank you sir.

Don't be shy about adding your thoughts as they relate to Sankey or my thoughts on Sankey!
10-team/.5 PPR Q RR WWW TE FF
QB: J. Hurts, K. Murray
RB: Bi. Robinson, D. Henry, D. Achane, , J. Cook, Z. Charbonnet, T. Chandler, R. Johnson, K. Mitchell, J.K. Dobbins, T. Allgeier, J. McLaughlin, S. Tucker, T. Bigsby
WR: G. Wilson, B. Aiyuk, J. Waddle, T. Higgins,, Z. Flowers, Di. Johnson, K. Coleman, AD Mitchell
TE: K. Pitts, E. Engram

12-team PPR/SF/TEP (+1PPR) Q RR WW TE FFF SF
QB - J. Hurts / D. Prescott / J. Love / B. Nix
RB - J. Taylor / K. Walker / J. Mixon / J. Brooks / D. Singletary / J. McLaughlin
WR - B. Aiyuk / K. Allen / S. Diggs / R. Odunze / X. Worthy / T. Franklin / J. Palmer / G. Davis / R. Doubs
TE - M. Andrews / D. Kincaid