Shane Vereen top 15 RB in 2013?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Shane Vereen top 15 RB in 2013?

Postby dynastyninja » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:53 am

Call me crazy, but I think he has a shot. Hernandez leaving means that New England will need to use all their weapons, and Vereen is definitely one of those. I could see him being used at receiver and running back.

Jimmy Graham Cracker
MVP
MVP

Postby Jimmy Graham Cracker » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:03 am

The_Future wrote:During Patriots spring practices, "there were times" Shane Vereen lined up as an outside receiver and got matched up with a linebacker.Patriots Football Weekly's Paul Perillo compares the formation to the one out of which Vereen caught a 33-yard TD pass against Houston in the Divisional Round of the playoffs, beating coverage with a double move. Calling him a "versatile running back with wide receiver skills," Perillo believes Vereen will essentially be New England's No. 2 receiver behind Danny Amendola this year.

This came from Rotoworld yesterday
Rotoworld is becoming increasingly worthless.

Had anyone on their staff bothered to actually watch any games or follow any beat-writers last season, they would have known that Vereen has been lining up as a receiver since his first OTAs a couple years ago. He's also lined up as a WR in actual NFL games. So I fail to see how this is any kind of earth-shattering information.

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:36 am

Jimmy Graham Cracker wrote:
The_Future wrote:During Patriots spring practices, "there were times" Shane Vereen lined up as an outside receiver and got matched up with a linebacker.Patriots Football Weekly's Paul Perillo compares the formation to the one out of which Vereen caught a 33-yard TD pass against Houston in the Divisional Round of the playoffs, beating coverage with a double move. Calling him a "versatile running back with wide receiver skills," Perillo believes Vereen will essentially be New England's No. 2 receiver behind Danny Amendola this year.

Had anyone on their staff bothered to actually watch any games or follow any beat-writers last season, they would have known that Vereen has been lining up as a receiver since his first OTAs a couple years ago. He's also lined up as a WR in actual NFL games. So I fail to see how this is any kind of earth-shattering information.
I think it's kind of unfair to single out Rotoworld. Everything in the NFL news department right now is basically worthless. People are ginning up news just to fill the void IMO. This happens at this time of year. You get stupid things like "So and so could be in for a break out year". Well of course he could. Nothing is happening in the NFL right now of any substance - unless you want to count things like the A.Hern mess.

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:49 am

One of the Rotoworld writers tweeted that he was confused about how Vereen being lined up at WR could be considered news-worthy. They pointed out he had already been doing that for some time now, as you say here. I take it that posting that news piece was a way for them to highlight his role for those less aware. Also, for those who might doubt the claim that Vereen will get a surge in touches, it gives Rotoworld a source to point to.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

Chris_R
MVP
MVP

Postby Chris_R » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:52 am

Seventy5 wrote:
This leads to players like David Wilson, Lamar Miller, Josh Gordon, Ryan Tannehill and now Shane Vereen being overvalued to the point where unless they hit BIG.. you will have overpaid because they're being valued at ceiling prices right now. Youth/rookies, and maybes are always OVERVALUED and proven production is UNDERVALUED this time of the year. It normally flip flops come week 3 when the sleepers continue sleeping and teams start scrambling for production.

This was a great post overall but let's be honest, this statement here is true for a number of players every year. Doesn't mean they are overvalued at all. If you wanted to trade for Dez last summer, it was an expensive ceiling price, but it's nowhere near what it is right now. Trading for Tannehill at his price this off-season will seem like a discount if he breaks out, Wilson & Miller could move into top 5 back territory for next years start-up draft similiar to how Doug Martin did. These guys can also be a bust, you win some you lose some. I don't think they are overvalued though.

You could go safe and trade for Chris Johnson, Frank Gore, or Matt Forte but if one of these guys gets injured in 2013 how would you feel about them going forward? Even if they don't, you get low end RB1/high end RB2 production for 1 season and then what? 2014 your sending offers with those backs + parts for the guys who gambled and hit big on Wilson and Miller because they are 21/22 years old and have the potential to score just the same as the other backs. Everyone has their tendencies and which side of the fence they'd prefer to be on, but there are a number of studs in fantasy that were at once the same situation as all the guys you mentioned.

In Charles rookie year he had 357 yards rushing but he started to gain a ton of steam in the off-season about an expanded role and his price started to go up even though he had little to go off of. The next year he had over 1400 total yards and his price has been up to 'young stud' ever since. It doesn't always end up with a guy breaking out and sometimes you get burned but the upside justifies the prices and will prove to be a discount in a year if it works out. If you aren't a gambler, you don't get any of the studs at a discounted price before they were a well known commodity.
12 Team ppr Dynasty IDP Superflex
1 QB, 1 QB/RB, 1 RB, 1 WR, RB/WR, WR/TE, 1 TE, 2 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB, 2 DL/LB/DB

QB: Dak Prescott/Kyler Murray
RB: Jonathan Taylor/James Robinson/D'Onta Foreman/Chris Hubbard/Keontay Ingram
WR: Jamar Chase/Diontae Johnson/Amron St Brown/Courtland Sutton/Rondale Moore/Donovan Peoples-Jones/Christian Watson
TE: Dalton Schultz/Gerald Everett/Greg Dulcich/Jeremy Ruckert

DL: Joey Bosa/Khalil Mack
LB: Leighton Vander Esch/Tremaine Edmunds/Blake Martinez/Telvin Smith/Sean Lee
DB: Earl Thomas/Keanu Neal/Minkah Fitzpatrick/John Johnson

Picks: 2023(three)

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:23 am

Good post ^^^.

And I'm not sure those players are valued at their ceilings yet. Just because they don't explode in 2013 doesn't mean you overpaid. David Wilson for example might just be the next CJ Spiller. If you think that's possible, he's worth every penny he costs right now. If you own him and doubt that, then now is the time to deal him. Remember Spiller owners suffered for a long time and many in the forums had jumped off the Spiller bus. Example: I traded Daniel Thomas for CJ Spiller - that was how low Spiller's value once was.

seahawks506
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby seahawks506 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:26 pm

dlf_tims wrote:

I think it's kind of unfair to single out Rotoworld. Everything in the NFL news department right now is basically worthless. People are ginning up news just to fill the void IMO. This happens at this time of year. You get stupid things like "So and so could be in for a break out year". Well of course he could. Nothing is happening in the NFL right now of any substance - unless you want to count things like the A.Hern mess.
I'd also like to add that people will always read into it what they want. I find it interesting that 2 players were notably practicing at WR in the offseason- Vereen and Davis. DLF's sweetheart Vereen is, based off that one rotoworld blurb, getting projections of RB2 numbers while people argue that Davis will still be underutilized. Until the games actually start happening, no one really knows what will happen, and to base decisions off what happened or didn't happen in OTA's/minicamps is risky in that it creates treacherous hype.
orphan rebuild- 3 superflex, nerfed QB scoring 0.5/1/1.5 wr/rb/te PPR
QB: Hurts, Dobbs, Lance, Huntley, Bagent
RB: Swift, Kamara, Sanders, K. Mitchell, Foreman, CEH, Dowdle, Demercado
WR: Lamb, AJB, DK, Hollywood, Jakobi, Lazard, Boyd, Shaheed, Douglas
TE: Chig, Juwan, Conklin, Taysom, Smythe
Picks: 3 2024 2nds

rebuild 2: 1QB PPR
QB: Richardson, Pickett, Mayfield
RB: Achane, E Mitchell, Demercado
WR: Chase, Addison, QJ, J Palmer, Wan'Dale, Claypool, Douglas, Metchie
TE: Kittle, Mayer, Otton, Ferguson
Picks: 3 2024 1sts, 2 2024 2nds

DallasN1213
Role Player
Role Player

Postby DallasN1213 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:52 pm

ShowMe wrote:Danny Woodhead was the #24 RB in PPR scoring last yr in New England and Vereen is MUCH more talented than Woodhead is. I would set Vereen's floor at #25. In order to reach a #15 ranking, it takes only about 3 more pts/game. It's certainly possible considering the lack of quality experienced WR talent in NE and with all the uncertainty there. I'm going to predict Top 20 for Vereen.
Why was Woodhead playing then?

Euclid
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Euclid » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:59 pm

DallasN1213 wrote:
ShowMe wrote:Danny Woodhead was the #24 RB in PPR scoring last yr in New England and Vereen is MUCH more talented than Woodhead is. I would set Vereen's floor at #25. In order to reach a #15 ranking, it takes only about 3 more pts/game. It's certainly possible considering the lack of quality experienced WR talent in NE and with all the uncertainty there. I'm going to predict Top 20 for Vereen.
I won't get into Woodhead vs Vereen talent level because I don't really think it matters. I think they are about equally good. The bigger part of his post imo was the fact that the difference between RB24 and RB15 is 3.x ppg. It's not much. All if would take is Ridley to go down for a stretch and Vereen could get much more work. No way to predict that, but is it possible for Vereen to be RB15? Yeah, sure. I also don't think it's possible without a Ridley injury/demotion.

Seventy5
Legend
Legend

Postby Seventy5 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:05 pm

DallasN1213 wrote:
I'm on my phone so I can't pull up weeks/stats but I think its safe to say these guys have to earn BB's trust before they're given a good sized role.

Remember two years ago when Ridley had a few decent games and pretty clearly looked to have more juice than BJGE, but then Ridley had a fumble or two towards the end of the season and come playoff time BB rolled with BJGE because he knew he could trust him.

Woodhead isn't flashy but he's very reliable, so I think we saw the same thing end of last year with Woodhead vs Vereen as we did the year prior with BJGE vs Ridley.
DLF HOF League | 16 Team 1PPR 1QB-2WR-2RB-1TE-2FL:
QB: Deshaun Watson | Stafford | Purdy | Hooker
RB: Saquon Barkley |DeVon Achane | Deuce
RB: Alvin Kamara | Joe Mixon / Chase Brown | Tucker
WR: Tyreek Hill | Rashee Rice | Tank Dell
WR: Stefon Diggs | DeVonta Smith | MWilliams | Claypool | C Austin
TE: Higbee | Likely | Chig Okonkwo | Strange
2023: 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3

DLF Premium League | 16 Team 1PPR 1QB-2WR-2RB-1TE-2FL:
QB: Joe Burrow | Mayfield | Hooker
RB: Saquon Barkley | Tank Bigsby | Deuce
RB: Alvin Kamara | Aaron Jones | JK Dobbins | Sean Tucker
WR: Ja'Marr Chase | Christian Watson | Hyatt | Shenault
WR: Keenan Allen | Marquise Brown | Calvin Ridley | Addison | Claypool | C Jones | Shakir
TE: Sam LaPorta | Strange | Jonnu
2023: 1, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2

DallasN1213
Role Player
Role Player

Postby DallasN1213 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:59 pm

I believe he had 0 fumbles as a rookie and was outplayed by a fellow rookie.

He played very little last year and had one big playoff game. Have you checked his stats for the next game?

He has a lot of hype now but for the wrong reasons.

1. An assumption that Woodheads production will be equalled by his replacement.
2. Playoff game results. As pointed out, he's lined up as WR from day one but have only had good results for 2 games.
3. Hernandez

top9play23
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby top9play23 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:07 am

As Ridley/Vareen owner I'm not seeing it......I think Ridley is undervalued and a legitimate RB1 candidate. I think he proves this year last season was no fluke. With all the turmoil in NE I do see Vareen becoming more valuable but top 15? No.......25-30
8 team PPR: 2 QBs, 4 RBs, 4 WRs, TE
QBs: Romo Rodgers, Bridgewater, Manziel, Fitzgerald, Cousins
RBs: McCoy, Murray, Crowell,
Martin Ridley, McFadden, Lweis, Spiller
WRs Megatron, OBJ, Jeffrey, Watkins, Diggs, Garçon, Lee, Dorial Green Beckam, White
TE: Gronk
K: Bryant
D/ST: SF,

ccj
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ccj » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:46 am

Euclid wrote:
DallasN1213 wrote:
I won't get into Woodhead vs Vereen talent level because I don't really think it matters. I think they are about equally good. The bigger part of his post imo was the fact that the difference between RB24 and RB15 is 3.x ppg. It's not much. All if would take is Ridley to go down for a stretch and Vereen could get much more work. No way to predict that, but is it possible for Vereen to be RB15? Yeah, sure. I also don't think it's possible without a Ridley injury/demotion.
Three ppg is a ton. That's 8 TDs worth of production. And we're already giving him about six ppg to get to Woodhead's 2012.

dezrespect
Rookie
Rookie

Postby dezrespect » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:00 pm

Wanted to bump this thread as it seems Vereen has only gained momentum in camp. Closer to top 15 now? I think I see him more in the 25 range but as an owner I hope he can keep it up. That TD catch he had last week was pretty
12 Team Dynasty League $400 Cap. Start: 1 QB, 2 R,B 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, K, DEF. 22 Roster Spots
QB: Wilson,
RB: C. Hyde, L. Miller, S. Vereen, J. Stewart, J. White
WR: D. Hopkins, M. Evans, A. Johnson, K. Wright, M. Colston, D. Parker, P. Dorsett, A. Boldin, T. Austin, Stevie Johnson, Justin Hardy,
TE: J. Thomas, E. Ebron

voiceofunreason
MVP
MVP

Postby voiceofunreason » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:13 pm

Woodhead was a better CoP back than Vereen.