Playoff Brackets

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
weasel
Role Player
Role Player

Playoff Brackets

Postby weasel » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:32 pm

12 team league. Six teams make the playoffs. Top two seeds get a bye.
Winner of 3 v 6 seeds play 1 seed and winner of 4 v 5 seeds play 2 seed.
This is how our brackets have been done for over ten years and there has
not been any issues up until this year. The one seed (who has never been
there before) is crying that he has the three seed in his bracket.

Does anyone do their brackets differently and if so is our bracket system
flawed? It seems that everyy other league I am in does their brackets the
same as this league does.

EDIT:

I was able to get in touch with our former league manager site and it looks as if we did in fact re-seed.
#1 seed played the worst remaining seed.

This is only our 3rd year with MFL and each of the past 2 seasons the #6 seed beat the #3 seed, so the #1
seed ended up playng the #6 seed anyways.
Last edited by weasel on Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lukeb
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Playoff Brackets

Postby lukeb » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:36 pm

weasel wrote:12 team league. Six teams make the playoffs. Top two seeds get a bye.

One seed always plays the winner of the 4/5 game. Two seed always plays the winner of the 3/6 game.
DLF Writer and Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter at dynastyluke

TheOracle
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby TheOracle » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:47 pm

All of my leagues have only 4 playoff teams. All American sports either reseed or would have the 1 seed play the 4/5 winner. Reseeding seems like the best option, but you might not be able to do that.

A wrinkle I was always interested in was allowing the #1 seed to choose his second round opponent from the two winners, which would be awesome because of the potential smack talk- imagine the #1 seed chooses the #4 over the #3, and then gets beat.
12 team//24 Man Roster//1QB,2RB,4WR,1TE,1RB/WR/TE/1K/1DST//0.5 point PPR//$350 Salary Cap (Salary per year/Years)
QB= Stafford (19/3), Luck (10/1), Locker (1/1),
RB= Forte (39/3), Murray (11/3), Mathews (34/3), Martin (10/1), Tate (11/3), Hunter (6/1), F. Jones (3/1)
WR= Green (21/3), Harvin (27/3), Maclin (33/3), Bowe (23/1) Thomas (11/3), Quick (5/1), Hill (10/1)
TE= Hernandez (19/1), Rudolph (8/1)

12 Team, non-PPR, All TDs 6, QB, 2 RB, 4 WR, TE, RB/WR/TE, DEF, K, 20 man rosters, cut to 14 for Rookie/FA Draft
QB: RG3, Newton, Wilson
RB: Richardson, Martin, Spiller, Charles, L. Miller, L. James,
WR: AJ Green, Julio Jones, Cruz, Marshall, Fitzgerald, Alexander, Hankerson,
TE: Gronk,

voiceofunreason
MVP
MVP

Postby voiceofunreason » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:58 pm

lbouchard wrote:
weasel wrote:12 team league. Six teams make the playoffs. Top two seeds get a bye.

One seed always plays the winner of the 4/5 game. Two seed always plays the winner of the 3/6 game.
Reseed manually after the first round. The 1st seed plays the lowest remaining.

In this particular case, if they've been in the league for a while, seems like a bit of garbage to me. Make a change for next year if you do, not this one.

Big Al
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Big Al » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:28 pm

Agree with the "voice" opinion. Most leagues I'm in has the bracket set but adjusts it so that the one plays the lowest seed remaining in six team playoffs and the first round is complete.

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:38 am

reseeding is horrible premise , If a team sacks up and knocks off a or the big dog they should get"rewarded " by playing the highest seed left - the NCAA tourney does not reseed and has enjoyed a long run of success because of the drama and the cinderella factor .

that said 1 one seed should play the 4/5 winner not the 3/6 winner
always & forever.
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

sunnyd23
Role Player
Role Player

Postby sunnyd23 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:18 am

clarion contrarion wrote:reseeding is horrible premise , If a team sacks up and knocks off a or the big dog they should get"rewarded " by playing the highest seed left - the NCAA tourney does not reseed and has enjoyed a long run of success because of the drama and the cinderella factor .

that said 1 one seed should play the 4/5 winner not the 3/6 winner
always & forever.
The NFL reseeds. Why would you use college basketball as your reference? I agree that 1 v 4/5, 2 v 3/6
10-team, Superflex, PPR, performance, 25-man roster
QB(Start 1-2): L.Jackson, S.Darnold, D.Carr
RB(2-3): J.Mixon, M.Mack, C.Edwards-Helaire, J.Taylor, J.K.Dobbins, A.J.Dillon, Z.Moss, L.Miller, , Ja.Williams, G.Bernard
WR(3-4): D.Hopkins, A.Cooper, A.Theilen, K.Golloday, C.Davis, L.Fitzgerald, Z.Pascal, M.Boykin
TE(1-2): D.Njoku, D.Waller
'21 - 1,4

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:17 am

I reference college basketball due to the fact they have the most exciting tournament in any sport and have for 30 plus years even though they have not even seeded the tourney that long.
The NFL does tons of stupid stuff buts gets away w/ it due to the insatiable appetite the fans have for the sport
just because something is good does not mean it cannot be better - although the changes the current"braintrust " continue to implement seem predetermined to destroy the game

as the rulers seem bent on turning the best sport in the world into a powderpuff flag football arena league

they seem to want every gfame to be 44-41
how long before they just implement a full time qb and just brady brees mannings rodgers & the other few elite qbs
play qb for both teams and they will not be allowed to be hit red jersey practice style.

I want to know when someone will mention if ed reed gets suspended for an illegal hit its costs him 430 K but if a rookie does it, it costs 35K or whatever his salary is - patently unfair
If you are making a million a year should your speeding ticket be higher than someone making 50K A YEAR
The whole fine structure the commish implemented is pathetic and ridiculous & as much as I hate to say it the only way the players will correct the power mad freak is to strike , tear up the contract they signed last year and redo the deal.
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
TE eifert howard njoku
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
— Leonardo da Vinci

steelman
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby steelman » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:50 am

All that nonsense above has nothing to do with the original topic.

In my league we reseed. #1 always plays the lowest remaining seed. Not only does the NFL do this, almost every professional sport does, apparently with the exception of the NCAA. It's proper for the #1 seed to play the weakest team on paper, which will always be the lowest remaining seed. The #1 seed earned as much by finishing 1st overall

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:15 am

so your logic is if the NFL does it - then it must be the right way and my contention is the NFL screws tons of stuff up
and there is plenty of room for improvement
here is your fiddle emperor nero and your bow play us a tune please I will sit with you and warm my hands by the fire.
QB luck- driskell
TE eifert howard njoku
2013 ACDL runner up
— Leonardo da Vinci

steelman
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby steelman » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:34 am

clarion contrarion wrote:so your logic is if the NFL does it - then it must be the right way and my contention is the NFL screws tons of stuff up
and there is plenty of room for improvement
here is your fiddle emperor nero and your bow play us a tune please I will sit with you and warm my hands by the fire.
No, my logic is that the #1 seed has earned the right to play the weakest team, which would be the lowest remaining seed. Now we all know that the lowest remaining seed may not truly be the weakest team, but seeding is the only way to rank teams. You can't just look at teams and then decide yourself who is the weakest team, as everyone has different opinions.

The 1 seed should always play the lowest remaining seed, otherwise there's no benefit to even being the 1 seed.

TheOracle
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby TheOracle » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:50 am

I think I can be of some service here, no?
clarion contrarion wrote:I reference college basketball due to the fact they have the most exciting tournament in any sport and have for 30 plus years even though they have not even seeded the tourney that long.
I wouldn't expect somebody from Clarion to follow the World Cup or soccer at all, so there's no point in discussing the legitimacy of this claim. I'll just deconstruct the logic behind the application to the topic at hand. If you think the NCAA tournament is exciting because they don't reseed, then you're an idiot. It's exciting because of the nature of college basketball, and because unlike baseball/hockey/basketball it's a one-and-done tournament. If you think the reason the NCAA tournament reseeds is to make it exciting, or fair, or just, or you have any other explanation other than to avoid the nightmare of reseeding a 68 team tournament, you're wrong. So let's forget about the NCAA tournament example- it has nothing to do with how reseeding applies to a fantasy football league.
clarion contrarion wrote:reseeding is horrible premise , If a team sacks up and knocks off a or the big dog they should get"rewarded " by playing the highest seed left - the NCAA tourney does not reseed and has enjoyed a long run of success because of the drama and the cinderella factor .
I must admit I laughed that somebody put forth a serious argument involving the phrase "sacks up and knocks off a or the big dog". I'll try to tackle the rest of this post in language you'll understand. *Slams head into wall* If they've sacked up so hard, brah, shouldn't they be able to sack up again and beat an even bigger dog, dawg? I mean nut up or shut up, that's what I always say. If you were the 6 seed, and you beat the 3 seed, time to pretend like you have a pair and beat the 1 seed. No rewards for having a bad regular season.
12 team//24 Man Roster//1QB,2RB,4WR,1TE,1RB/WR/TE/1K/1DST//0.5 point PPR//$350 Salary Cap (Salary per year/Years)
RB= Forte (39/3), Murray (11/3), Mathews (34/3), Martin (10/1), Tate (11/3), Hunter (6/1), F. Jones (3/1)
WR= Green (21/3), Harvin (27/3), Maclin (33/3), Bowe (23/1) Thomas (11/3), Quick (5/1), Hill (10/1)

12 Team, non-PPR, All TDs 6, QB, 2 RB, 4 WR, TE, RB/WR/TE, DEF, K, 20 man rosters, cut to 14 for Rookie/FA Draft

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:33 pm

right so now its the NCAA whose decision making and sense of fairplay is flawless because it would be too much of a hassle to reseed . Really the NCAA tourney is one of the few things they get right and logic is no doorstop for them in swinging open the common sense closet
malarky - I say if you are the top seed and you get to play paddy cake the 1st round that is your reward
how many rewards to you get for maybe outscoring the 2nd seed by a few points
idiot really , where did I say I was from clarion perhaps you are the idiot for jumping to conclusions / nice argument . those soccer wussies that fall down when they get bumped into are barely even athletes let alone on the level of the NCAA tournament but like most pretentious retards you seem to think it is an elite sport - THAT brand of "exciting competition" is just as bad as goodell's manufactured excitement 0-0 ties are just are moronic as 44-41 football games .
soccer is a sport (barely) that is unfixable
and goodell is on a crusade to fix something that is not broken

thanks for joining however in the conversation what good is a real sports discussion w/o thne token eurotard wannabe lamenting on the virtues of futbol to we poor austrolopithicus like americanfootball fans

if you are the number 1 seed as I often am I do not care who I play just bringem on nancy
maybe you boys should just run a 17 week regular season league and finish 1st so you don't have to play anyone or better yet just run all 12 teams yerself ..... then you will be sure of :clap: WINNING !
QB luck- driskell
TE eifert howard njoku
2013 ACDL runner up
— Leonardo da Vinci

Water Buffalo
Legend
Legend

Postby Water Buffalo » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:38 pm

voiceofunreason wrote:
lbouchard wrote:

Reseed manually after the first round. The 1st seed plays the lowest remaining.
Agree with this completely. It IS garbage that he has the 3 seed in his bracket. Highest seed should always be playing the lowest remaining seed.

TheOracle
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby TheOracle » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:46 pm

clarion contrarion wrote:right so now its the NCAA whose decision making and sense of fairplay is flawless because it would be too much of a hassle to reseed . Really the NCAA tourney is one of the few things they get right and logic is no doorstop for them in swinging open the common sense closet
malarky - I say if you are the top seed and you get to play paddy cake the 1st round that is your reward
how many rewards to you get for maybe outscoring the 2nd seed by a few points
idiot really , where did I say I was from clarion perhaps you are the idiot for jumping to conclusions / nice argument . those soccer wussies that fall down when they get bumped into are barely even athletes let alone on the level of the NCAA tournament but like most pretentious retards you seem to think it is an elite sport - THAT brand of "exciting competition" is just as bad as goodell's manufactured excitement 0-0 ties are just are moronic as 44-41 football games .
soccer is a sport (barely) that is unfixable
and goodell is on a crusade to fix something that is not broken

thanks for joining however in the conversation what good is a real sports discussion w/o thne token eurotard wannabe lamenting on the virtues of futbol to we poor austrolopithicus like americanfootball fans

if you are the number 1 seed as I often am I do not care who I play just bringem on nancy
maybe you boys should just run a 17 week regular season league and finish 1st so you don't have to play anyone or better yet just run all 12 teams yerself ..... then you will be sure of :clap: WINNING !

Lmao post of the year. Holy balls. Is this ??droppedballs??'s alternate account? Nobody's actually that dense, right?