San Francisco Backfield

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
lukeb
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

San Francisco Backfield

Postby lukeb » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:08 pm

We know that Gore is the starter as long as he lasts, but what are your thoughts on the Hunter vs James dynamic?
DLF Writer and Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter at dynastyluke

cleanwillyb
Captain
Captain

Re: San Francisco Backfield

Postby cleanwillyb » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:16 pm

I think every move and statement the 'Niners have made this offseason regarding the backfield has demonstrated a lack of faith in Hunter.

I'm not a huge fan of James' NFL potential, but I certainly prefer him to Hunter at this point.
16 team 0.5 PPR IDP dynasty league. 5th Season.
QB: D. Brees, M. Stafford
RB: L. McCoy, D. Martin, J. Charles, R. Mendenhall, D. Wilson
WR: C. Johnson, H. Nicks, A. Green, J. Jones, R. Meachem
TE: J. Graham, J. Finley
DL: JPP, C. Johnson, J. Tuck
LB: S. Lee, J. Lauranaitis, C. McCarthy, J. Beason, D. Bishop,
CB: J. Haden, R. Sherman
S: P. Chung, M. Burnett, B. Pollard
2010-2012 Champ

blacksheep
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby blacksheep » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:45 pm

Hunter will be the lead back in a RBBC. The Niners are just conforming to the current NFL model, a ground-and-pound guy (Hunter) and then a COP back (James).

The Savior
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby The Savior » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:47 pm

yeah. it seems like james is their sproles going forward. i think hunter's value is plummeting. i'd frankly from a dynasty perspective value james higher than anyone else in SF.

xlote
Starter
Starter

Postby xlote » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:58 pm

I see RBBC this year and going forwards. Can't know how the amount of touches will fall.

CokeAndBacardi
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby CokeAndBacardi » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:20 pm

This situation is anyone's guess until Hunter and James hit the field in pads against real defenses. I liked what I saw from Hunter last year in real games. Gore's significant decline as the year went on is well documented.

I prefer Hunter because we have seen him already. That being said, I loved when James broke his arm last year and said post-game he'd be on the field the following game. Very badass and shows a toughness and competitiveness that doesn't come around too often. I will not count out a guy like James or Quizz because I think their work ethic and character make up for a perceived lack of size.
10 Team/26-man dynasty/PPR/Year 10/4-6 pt TDs/2QB-2RB-2WR-2RB/WR-2TE
QB-Goff/Rosen/Lock/Grier/Luck
RB-Mack/Hunt/RoJones/Bernard/Snell/AP/Edwards/Ajayi
WR-ODB/Robinson/T.Williams/Davis/Anderson/Cobb/Renfrow
TE-Kelce/Goedert/Njoku/Rudolph/Oliver
2020 - Currently and likely 1.01, have all of my own picks

allpurple
Starter
Starter

Postby allpurple » Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:51 am

xlote wrote:I see RBBC this year and going forwards. Can't know how the amount of touches will fall.
Yep beware of the hunter

Frank Gore 282 1,211 4.3 55 8

Kendall Hunter 112 473 4.2 44 2

Cant deny Gores age and touches have been wearing him down.

cleanwillyb
Captain
Captain

Postby cleanwillyb » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:37 am

allpurple wrote:Cant deny Gores age and touches have been wearing him down.
While I agree that Gore is hardly the picture of health, I don't blame it on the number of touches he receives. The guy only has one season where he tallied more than 282 carries. Hardly monster workloads.
16 team 0.5 PPR IDP dynasty league. 5th Season.
QB: D. Brees, M. Stafford
RB: L. McCoy, D. Martin, J. Charles, R. Mendenhall, D. Wilson
WR: C. Johnson, H. Nicks, A. Green, J. Jones, R. Meachem
TE: J. Graham, J. Finley
DL: JPP, C. Johnson, J. Tuck
LB: S. Lee, J. Lauranaitis, C. McCarthy, J. Beason, D. Bishop,
CB: J. Haden, R. Sherman
S: P. Chung, M. Burnett, B. Pollard
2010-2012 Champ

49ersFaithful80
All Pro
All Pro

Postby 49ersFaithful80 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:24 am

At the end of the 2011 season when the Hunter hype was getting was out of control (this is coming from a Niner's fan) I guaranteed that the Niner's would draft a RB in the 1st or 2nd round within the next two years. People scoffed at the statement with the whole "draft position doesn't matter argument".

The Niner's DO NOT view Hunter as Gore's successor, he will be involved in a time share and I think he may end up on the short end of it.

Harbaugh has already came out and called LaMichael an "unstoppable force on the goal line" and we know for a fact that LaMichael will be handling all passing downs.

Despite the hype (and the fact the fact that Hunter looked solid last year) I think LaMichael ends up being the back to own.

I also would not be suprised if they draft another RB in the first couple rounds in the near future.

theimposter
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby theimposter » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:25 pm

I agree with the above. I want James in any league I can get him. I was happy to get Hunter last year in the 2nd, and think he'll still be a back worth owning, but my perception of his chances came down quite a bit when they drafted James. I'm not sure why people put James's ceiling as COP type, while also thinking much better things will come for Pead or Hillman, who don't really have any size on LMJ.
12 Team 35-Man Roster PPR IDP: 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1RB/WR, 2DB, 2LB, 2DL, 1DB/LB/DL
Orphaned (and abused) Rebuild
QB: Luck, Geno
RB: Lynch, Wilson, A. Brown, Hunter, James, Bell, Robinson, Green
WR: Stevie, Torrey, Rice, Wright, G. Tate, J. Baldwin, Wheaton, T. Williams, A. Robinson, Ford, M. Wilson
TE: Graham, McDonald
DB: Chancellor, A. Williams, Iloka
DL: C. Johnson, Quinn, Jordan
LB: Wagner, Butler, Allen, Ayers, Wheeler, Bradham

holy_stromboli
MVP
MVP

Postby holy_stromboli » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:12 am

49ersFaithful80 wrote:At the end of the 2011 season when the Hunter hype was getting was out of control (this is coming from a Niner's fan) I guaranteed that the Niner's would draft a RB in the 1st or 2nd round within the next two years. People scoffed at the statement with the whole "draft position doesn't matter argument".

The Niner's DO NOT view Hunter as Gore's successor, he will be involved in a time share and I think he may end up on the short end of it.

Harbaugh has already came out and called LaMichael an "unstoppable force on the goal line" and we know for a fact that LaMichael will be handling all passing downs.

Despite the hype (and the fact the fact that Hunter looked solid last year) I think LaMichael ends up being the back to own.

I also would not be suprised if they draft another RB in the first couple rounds in the near future.
^This

I actually thought they'd wait till 2013 to draft a RB high, but I guess they liked James enough in the 2nd that he fell into their laps. Hopefully their talent evaluators know what they are doing... :think:

lifesyourcup
Role Player
Role Player

Postby lifesyourcup » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:58 am

People are really sleeping on Jewel Hampton.

Hunter and James weren't meant to run between the tackles.

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:52 am

cleanwillyb wrote:I think every move and statement the 'Niners have made this offseason regarding the backfield has demonstrated a lack of faith in Hunter.
I agree with this.

This topic came up in a mailbag question and my answers come out tomorrow (I think). I basically said that willyb is saying.

lukeb
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby lukeb » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:18 am

dlf_tims wrote:
cleanwillyb wrote:I think every move and statement the 'Niners have made this offseason regarding the backfield has demonstrated a lack of faith in Hunter.
I agree with this.

This topic came up in a mailbag question and my answers come out tomorrow (I think). I basically said that willyb is saying.
Do you think that James is the guy to own, someone not yet on the team will be the guy to own, or after Gore goes down, it will be a messy RBBC you want no part of?
DLF Writer and Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter at dynastyluke

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:23 am

lbouchard wrote:
dlf_tims wrote:
I agree with this.

Do you think that James is the guy to own, someone not yet on the team will be the guy to own, or after Gore goes down, it will be a messy RBBC you want no part of?
I could see midway thru the year the prices on Hunter/James getting attractive enough that you might be able to buy both as stashes and see what shakes out. What I don't want to do is have to put my bet on one or the other.