Auction start up question

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
MARKinMI
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Auction start up question

Postby MARKinMI » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:12 am

I'm starting a 14 team Dynasty with an auction start up (the league is non Salary cap). Rosters are 25 players... What overall budget do you recommend setting up for the teams for the start up draft. I've seen quite a few $200's out of the leagues ive spied on but those seem to have 16 or 17 roster spots for teams. So what should I set up for a league that uses 25 man rosters?

Wallace's Warriors
Role Player
Role Player

Re: Auction start up question

Postby Wallace's Warriors » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:52 pm

I would go 250$. That is what my leagues usually use (22 man roster, 16 team).
16 team, No-PPR, 6 pt passing tds
QB: Brady, Schuab, Tannehill
RB: Forte, Charles, Martin, Redman, Carter,R. Jennings, M. Bush, Vereen
WR: Britt, Little, Brown, Wright, Kerley, Sanders, Broyles
TE: Dickson, Cook
K: Zuerlien
DEF: Philidelphia
2013: 2 1sts, 2 2nd
2014: 5 1sts, 1 2nd

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:46 am

The budget doesn't really matter, what matters is the units. A $200 budget that allows for $0.50 increments has more units than a $250 that only allows $1 increments.

The question really comes down to how long you want the auction to last. The less units people have to use, the more quickly the auction process will end. You'll notice that the auction goes really really slowly in the beginning - say the first 60 to 80 players. This is because people have a lot of units and can raise the bid by very small percentages. Think about it this way - raising from $50 to $51 is a 2% raise. But from $1 to $2 is a 100% raise.

As some point, the auction will flip in to roster fill out mode. If you want roster fill out mode to go quickly you want people to struggle to out bid the minimum bid. Less units will make this happen. You are auctioning 350 players. If you set the budget to say 200 units, there will be many players who go off the board at the end for 1 unit.

MARKinMI
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby MARKinMI » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:12 pm

dlf_tims wrote:The budget doesn't really matter, what matters is the units. A $200 budget that allows for $0.50 increments has more units than a $250 that only allows $1 increments.

The question really comes down to how long you want the auction to last. The less units people have to use, the more quickly the auction process will end. You'll notice that the auction goes really really slowly in the beginning - say the first 60 to 80 players. This is because people have a lot of units and can raise the bid by very small percentages. Think about it this way - raising from $50 to $51 is a 2% raise. But from $1 to $2 is a 100% raise.

As some point, the auction will flip in to roster fill out mode. If you want roster fill out mode to go quickly you want people to struggle to out bid the minimum bid. Less units will make this happen. You are auctioning 350 players. If you set the budget to say 200 units, there will be many players who go off the board at the end for 1 unit.

Most of the AAV's (average auction values) i see are based on 200 budget for 16-17 players... I want my guys in the league (because we are all new to auctions) to be able to have tools to use for reference and from the advice ive gotten on other forums I've been told to use a $300 cap if we have 25 man rosters. That way its the same % as the AAV's that are floating out there. I know i dont want less than $1 bid increments. Tim, how would a $300 cap with $1 bids effect the end of the draft in your opinion? I don't want this auction to move into the roster fill mode until later on... What do you recommend?

MARKinMI
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby MARKinMI » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:16 pm

Wallace's Warriors wrote:I would go 250$. That is what my leagues usually use (22 man roster, 16 team).
interesting...... How long in your drafts does the actual bidding up players last before it turns into roster fill mode as Tim put it?

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:02 am

Mark,

To give you a sense of it:
12-team, 20-roster spot, $250 cap. Start-up auction was five hours - but this was live and therefore less efficient.
12-team, 25-roster spot, $1,000 cap. Start up auction took six and a half hours.

The second one we just did, so I remember it better. It went in to roster fill out mode around hour five. That was too late for my blood. My guess is that 14-teams, $300 cap will take close to six hours and behave close to the way our recent draft did. It may speed up a little since you should get some more $1 winning bids.

I'd go with what you are planning, but settle in and have plenty of coffee near by.

Tim

MARKinMI
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby MARKinMI » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:04 am

dlf_tims wrote:Mark,

To give you a sense of it:
12-team, 20-roster spot, $250 cap. Start-up auction was five hours - but this was live and therefore less efficient.
12-team, 25-roster spot, $1,000 cap. Start up auction took six and a half hours.

The second one we just did, so I remember it better. It went in to roster fill out mode around hour five. That was too late for my blood. My guess is that 14-teams, $300 cap will take close to six hours and behave close to the way our recent draft did. It may speed up a little since you should get some more $1 winning bids.

I'd go with what you are planning, but settle in and have plenty of coffee near by.

Tim
Our Auction will be a slow email draft auction with an 18 hour clock on MFL. I have owners that work days, nights, one guy even lives in Amsterdam so a live auction isn't really an option for us.