3x 2025 1sts for Chase?

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
tominansky
Role Player
Role Player

3x 2025 1sts for Chase?

Postby tominansky » Thu May 23, 2024 8:26 pm

Team 1. Rebuilding. Chase owner is shopping him pretty aggressively. He’s asking about 3 of my 2025 1sts. Won’t send my own obviously but 3 of the other 4 were playoff teams last year.

Not usually a fan of paying 3 firsts for any non-QB. What are y’all doing here? I need to build out depth via the 25 draft or trades but Chase is obviously a stud.
Team 1:
12 team, 0.5ppr, 28 roster, SF, 1pt for 1st downs
QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/TE/Flex/Flex/SF/D

QB: Tua, Geno, Huntley, Flacco, Travis
RB: Tracy, Isaiah Davis, Gore, Gray, Brooks
WR: Puka, Pickens, Worthy, BTJ, McMillan, Washington, Doubs, Dotson, D. Douglas
TE: Kincaid

2025: 5x 1st, 3x 2nd, 2x 3rd
2026: 2x 1st, 3x 2nd, 2x 3rd, 4th

Team 2:
12 team, 0.5ppr, 23 roster, SF
QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/TE/Flex/Flex/SF

QB: Dak, Stafford, Rodgers, AOC, Dobbs, Travis
RB: CMC, JT, Ekeler, Kamara, A. Jones, Spears, Miller, Ray Davis, Guerendo
WR: Tyreek, AJB, Allen, Cooper, Ridley, Palmer, Bourne, D. Robinson, W. Robinson
TE: Kelce

2025 2nd, 3rd
2026 2x 1st, 2x 2nd, 2x 3rd

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Re: 3x 2025 1sts for Chase?

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu May 23, 2024 8:57 pm

You're nowhere near competing. You're losing Chases prime years, I'd hold.

I'd be moving DK, he's 27 in December.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Well done steak goes in the trash.

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

Menace2010
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Menace2010 » Thu May 23, 2024 8:58 pm

Chase, and Chase x2 if all 3 picks are mid to late. Would be surprised if they were cool with you keeping the early pick.

We all get rookie fever, but the hit rate on 1st round rookie picks is around 50%. I'm sure more than half the guys going in round 1 look like can't miss prospects, but a year from now many will be thrown in the trash heap (hyperbole, but you get the point).

Black Adam
Captain
Captain

Postby Black Adam » Thu May 23, 2024 10:20 pm

Menace2010 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 8:58 pm Chase, and Chase x2 if all 3 picks are mid to late. Would be surprised if they were cool with you keeping the early pick.

We all get rookie fever, but the hit rate on 1st round rookie picks is around 50%. I'm sure more than half the guys going in round 1 look like can't miss prospects, but a year from now many will be thrown in the trash heap (hyperbole, but you get the point).
Agreed.

I like to frequently go back and review my league's drafts and see who picked sleepers that hit, who missed on 1sts/2nds, etc. My track record is pretty good in my format, but can you say the same, tominansky?

Chase is a stud receiver that just turned 24. I'm smash accepting this deal and shipping those picks off knowing the only thing that will derail his career is injury (or an acute case of boneheaded-ness a la Henry Ruggs).

I'm not a big fan of blowing up/trading off rosters for picks, but if it's not to acquire guys like this, what exactly are you using the capital for? How good are you at actually drafting with those picks you store up? Answer that honestly and go from there.

Caution: I've never done one but I assume folks "rebuild" because they're not very good at making moves to keep their teams competitive over time. I have no idea how long it will take to turn this team around, but having a guy on your team like Chase that can drop 50 on any given week certainly won't hurt.

I also think it's silly to worry about "wasting" a player's prime years on your roster. :lol:
10 Tm Dynasty 1QB/IDP/1.0 PPR/40 Rst
Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 W/T, 2 R/W/T, 1 PK, 3 DL, 3 LB, 3 DB, 2 IDP

2015: 7th 💩
2016: 4th :x
2017: 8th 💩
2018: 3rd 🥉
2019: 6th 💩
2020: 1st 🏆
2021: 2nd 🥈
2022: 2nd 🥈
2023: 1st 🏆

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu May 23, 2024 10:25 pm

Black Adam wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:20 pm
Menace2010 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 8:58 pm Chase, and Chase x2 if all 3 picks are mid to late. Would be surprised if they were cool with you keeping the early pick.

Agreed.

I like to frequently go back and review my league's drafts and see who picked sleepers that hit, who missed on 1sts/2nds, etc. My track record is pretty good in my format, but can you say the same, tominansky?

Chase is a stud receiver that just turned 24. I'm smash accepting this deal and shipping those picks off knowing the only thing that will derail his career is injury (or an acute case of boneheaded-ness a la Henry Ruggs).

I'm not a big fan of blowing up/trading off rosters for picks, but if it's not to acquire guys like this, what exactly are you using the capital for? How good are you at actually drafting with those picks you store up? Answer that honestly and go from there.

Caution: I've never done one but I assume folks "rebuild" because they're not very good at making moves to keep their teams competitive over time. I have no idea how long it will take to turn this team around, but having a guy on your team like Chase that can drop 50 on any given week certainly won't hurt.

I also think it's silly to worry about "wasting" a player's prime years on your roster. :lol:
It's possible the guy took over an orphan team.

You don't have to agree, but I just think those assets remain liquid, and you can move them at a later date. That roster is trash. Chase isn't going to help his team, and it's a Superflex league. If I were going to move those picks, I'd want to lock in an elite young QB over a WR, myself.

I'd be looking to move off Lamar, for a younger QB, and perhaps using those picks for another QB. Try and lock in 2 younger long terms guys, over a WR. I just think there are many avenues to trade those picks, and locking up Chase so you can miss the playoffs for a couple more years isn't the best use of those assets.

I'm not saying he has to use the picks to pick players at all, and I'm well aware of hit rates. I just would prefer to use the future firsts to go at the QB position, myself.
Janiel Dones Truther

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

Black Adam
Captain
Captain

Postby Black Adam » Thu May 23, 2024 10:31 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:25 pm

You don't have to agree, but I just think those assets remain liquid, and you can move them at a later date. That roster is trash. Chase isn't going to help his team, and it's a Superflex league. If I were going to move those picks, I'd want to lock in an elite young QB over a WR, myself.

I'd be looking to move off Lamar, for a younger QB, and perhaps using those picks for another QB. Try and lock in 2 younger long terms guys, over a WR. I just think there are many avenues to trade those picks, and locking up Chase so you can miss the playoffs for a couple more years isn't the best use of those assets.

I'm not saying he has to use the picks to pick players at all, and I'm well aware of hit rates.
Bet.

I obviously don't agree but the beauty of fantasy is we can all play the game how we see fit. :wave:
10 Tm Dynasty 1QB/IDP/1.0 PPR/40 Rst
Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 W/T, 2 R/W/T, 1 PK, 3 DL, 3 LB, 3 DB, 2 IDP

2015: 7th 💩
2016: 4th :x
2017: 8th 💩
2018: 3rd 🥉
2019: 6th 💩
2020: 1st 🏆
2021: 2nd 🥈
2022: 2nd 🥈
2023: 1st 🏆

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu May 23, 2024 10:39 pm

Black Adam wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:31 pm

I'm not saying he has to use the picks to pick players at all, and I'm well aware of hit rates.
Bet.

I obviously don't agree but the beauty of fantasy is we can all play the game how we see fit. :wave:
All good. What do you mean bet, though?
Janiel Dones Truther

tominansky
Role Player
Role Player

Postby tominansky » Fri May 24, 2024 1:54 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 8:57 pm You're nowhere near competing. You're losing Chases prime years, I'd hold.

I'd be moving DK, he's 27 in December.
Oops forgot to update sig. Sold DK for another 25 1st, 27 2nd and two 25 3rds.
Team 1:

Team 2:

WR: Tyreek, AJB, Allen, Cooper, Ridley, Palmer, Bourne, D. Robinson, W. Robinson

2025 2nd, 3rd

tominansky
Role Player
Role Player

Postby tominansky » Fri May 24, 2024 2:04 am

Agreed.

I appreciate the well thought out response. I drafted a dumpster fire of a team in 2019. Managed to turn it into a strong contender year 2-5. Had a handful of top end guys reach the age cliff at the same time so felt like it was easier to rip the bandaid off and reset. I typically draft well although have leaned historically towards selling my picks. My 1st and another look certain to be early. The other 3 are the picks I’d ship here and belong to aging rosters but likely still playoff-bound teams. I mostly agree with the sentiment around buying someone like Chase even in this position and solidifying that spot. I’d still have flexibility with several other picks to use to trade along with the 2026’s.
Team 1:

Team 2:

2025 2nd, 3rd

tominansky
Role Player
Role Player

Postby tominansky » Fri May 24, 2024 2:33 am

Agreed.

I'm not saying he has to use the picks to pick players at all, and I'm well aware of hit rates. I just would prefer to use the future firsts to go at the QB position, myself.
I’ve been kicking the tires a bit on a Lamar deal like this. Based on current league makeup, it’d likely be a rookie QB+ which obviously carries significant risk or someone on the QB1/2 line like a TLaw+. Unsure if spreading Lamar’s value out over multiple assets makes sense quite yet but certainly a consideration.
Team 1:

Team 2:

2025 2nd, 3rd

blueeyedbanditt
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby blueeyedbanditt » Fri May 24, 2024 7:51 am

This is a tough one. Anytime you have an offer on the table for an elite WR you have to strongly consider. You do have a ways to go with this team however. I probably would pass on this just to stay liquid with the picks and upgrade multiple positions instead of going all-in on one player. I guess if they're all going to be guaranteed late picks, I'd be OK with it, but I'd rather have the options the 3 picks give me.

I'd also try to shop Lamar as you mentioned as well, try to get a young QB and another couple of pieces (non-picks).
10 Team, PPR, 27 roster: 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 FLEX, 1 DST, 1 K
QB: Patrick Mahomes, Jordan Love
RB: Jonathan Taylor, Kyren Williams, Devon Achane, Derrick Henry, Jaylen Warren
WR: CeeDee Lamb, DJ Moore, DK Metcalf, Drake London, Tee Higgins, Hollywood Brown, Ricky Pearsall
TE: George Kittle, Brock Bowers, Pat Freiermuth

Picks:
2025: 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th
2026: 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th

moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Postby moishetreats » Fri May 24, 2024 8:40 am

Great discussion. I'm certainly on the side of selling Lamar!

I look at it differently, though. Rather than asking "Would you rather have Chase or 3 late 1sts in 2025?", I'd ask "Which is more likely to make your team competitive in the long term?" For me, I'm with FanastyFreak. In this moment, in a vacuum, I agree with Black Adam that Chase is more valuable. Moving forward, though, I'm highly confident you can either:

A) Trade those picks on the clock in one year for assets that, in total, are more valuable than Chase; or
B) Trade those picks in one year for a different stud WR.

I don't think you risk much in this case by keeping the picks, and I think you have a lot of room for growth and flexibility with them.

As for "wasting" years, I'd also think of it as paying for a player to get an elite season that you don't need at the moment. It doesn't align with your team direction, and I'd rather pay for an elite player when I'm entering my competitive window than before it -- I simply get to take advantage of more of those elite years on my team (and I'm keeping my 2025 draft pick higher).
10 tms 27 plrs PPR
Start: 2QB 2RB 3WR 2TE 2Flex / best ball

QB: Herbert, Love, Rodgers, G Smith, Stidham, T Taylor, Hall
RB: McCaffrey, Mixon, Pacheco, Montgomery, Z White, Allgeier, Dillon
WR: Hill, St. Brown, Kupp, Allen, Lockett, B Johnson
TE: Kelce, Kmet, Kraft, Okonkwo, Dulcich, Tremble

2024: 2.09, 3.07, 3.08, 3.10, 4.08
2025: 2nd (x2), 4th, 5th (x2)
2026: 1st, 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th, 5th

12 tms 22 active plyrs. Salary Cap $300 PPR
Start: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1SF 1Flex / best ball

QB: Love ('24), Rodgers ('24), Stidham ('25), Lock ('25)
RB: Brooks ('27), Wright ('27), Guerendo ('26), Mitchell ('27), Dillon ('24), Rodriguez ('24), Spiller ('24)
WR: G Wilson ('26), AJ Brown ('26), Nabers ('28), Worthy ('28), Polk ('28), Franklin ('28), E Moore ('25), M Thomas ('25), DJ Montgomery ('25)
TE: --
2024 Cap Spent: $201

IR: --
TAXI SQUAD (4 max): Sinnott ('28), All ('28), Schrader ('26), A Reed ('28)