Drafting Pre-NFL Draft is infinitely better than Post-NFL Draft

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
SN9-7Titans
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Drafting Pre-NFL Draft is infinitely better than Post-NFL Draft

Postby SN9-7Titans » Tue May 07, 2024 4:52 am

Obviously this about me not getting the value now after NFL teams put their mark on each player and proclaimed who is good and who isn't with their draft capital.

And yet, out of 20 leagues, 3 of those drafts were done before hand and I have to say, it's much more satisfying when you put in the effort in research, some players down in ranking get picked high, and some might fly down, but you did get rewarded for actually doing the work if you made the right picks.

F.e. Ladd Mcconkey was a midish 2nd round pick. No brainer for me. Now due to the ADP everyone just picks him late 1st after the chargers picked him.

Or Sinnott. He went either in the last round because I picked him or I got him off waivers. Now he's an early 3rd.

Jermaine Burton was so low in ADP because people just think he's a nut head after the incident, I was just getting him everywhere for a late 4th. Now it's a midish 3rd, even late 2nd.

There are many players whose stock gets wildly influenced by the NFL draft.... Obviously.... But it's just boring to see now when people just pick players off 1by 1 based on ADP and not really taking their guys they really targeted pre NFL draft.
Team NoDrama - 12Team SF 1.5 TEP

QB: Hurts, Tagovailoa, Ridder, Lance, Purdy, Stroud
RB: Hall, Gibbs, Dobbins, Dillon, White, Warren
WR: Higgins, JSN, Jeudy, Aiyuk, Dotson, Amon-Ra, Shakir, Michael Thomas, Gallup, Rondale Moore
TE: Goedert, Meyer, Kincaid, Jelani Woods, Jonnu Smith, Otton, Bryant, Kolar
Picks: 3.07, 4.07
----------------------------

natjjohn
Role Player
Role Player

Re: Drafting Pre-NFL Draft is infinitely better than Post-NFL Draft

Postby natjjohn » Tue May 07, 2024 1:08 pm

SN9-7Titans wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 4:52 am Obviously this about me not getting the value now after NFL teams put their mark on each player and proclaimed who is good and who isn't with their draft capital.

And yet, out of 20 leagues, 3 of those drafts were done before hand and I have to say, it's much more satisfying when you put in the effort in research, some players down in ranking get picked high, and some might fly down, but you did get rewarded for actually doing the work if you made the right picks.

F.e. Ladd Mcconkey was a midish 2nd round pick. No brainer for me. Now due to the ADP everyone just picks him late 1st after the chargers picked him.

Or Sinnott. He went either in the last round because I picked him or I got him off waivers. Now he's an early 3rd.

Jermaine Burton was so low in ADP because people just think he's a nut head after the incident, I was just getting him everywhere for a late 4th. Now it's a midish 3rd, even late 2nd.

There are many players whose stock gets wildly influenced by the NFL draft.... Obviously.... But it's just boring to see now when people just pick players off 1by 1 based on ADP and not really taking their guys they really targeted pre NFL draft.
There’s pre draft ADP and most drafts are just following that. Even in your explanation, you just took players at around their ADP

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Wed May 08, 2024 2:09 am

Funny you mention that.

This year I took over a team in a league that drafts in the middle of April. The team I took over didn’t have a 1st. It had the 2.12, 3.12, 4.12, etc.

Superflex TE premium.

I got Penix at 2.12
I got Sinnott at 3.12
I got Vidal at 4.12.

Nowadays I would take those same players at 1.12, 2.12, 3.12. Literally. Especially since my top 3 QBs are cousins, Mayfield, and Minshew.

Btw I don’t watch college and has never heard of these players until I fired up my research as I was about to be on the clock. It was nice to get familiarized with the names though before the NFL draft

TheTroll
Legend
Legend

Postby TheTroll » Wed May 08, 2024 3:08 am

while i have never done one, i would like to. puts more value into the research and hurts the one that don't give the time....separates the Men from the boys.
Team 1
Dynasty 10 team, 22 roster + 6 Taxi, PPR
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 Flex, 1 TE, K, Def

QB: Love, Goff, Fields
RB: Bijan, Montgomery, Kamara, Ford, K Herbert, Zeke, Mattison
WR: Jefferson, Olave, London, Ridley, Sutton, Shaheed
TE: Kincaid, Kittle, Freiermuth
K: Tucker, Sanders
DEF: CLE

Taxi: Charbs, K Mitchell, Demercado, QJ, D Douglas, W Robinson, Hooker

Picks
2024: 1.03, 3.06, 3.09, 4.09
2025: 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Team 2
Dynasty 10 team, 22 man roster + 6 Taxi, PPR, SF and TEP
1QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, 1 S Flex

QB: Allen, Goff, Watson, Jones
RB: K Williams, B Robinson, Chubb, Ford, Mostert, A Gibson, Dillon, Pierce, Zeke
WR: Olave, T Hill, Addison, D Adams, C Watson, D Johnson, G Davis, OBJ
TE: Kincaid, Kmet, Goedert

Taxi: Mitchell, DTR, Mims, K Miller, Douglas, Vaughn

Picks
2024: 1.08, 3.02, 3.09
2025: 1, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5

Bronco Billy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Wed May 08, 2024 5:27 am

I’m sorry that you feel post NFL draft FF drafts are boring. I’ve found it’s just the opposite. I put a high priority on evaluating a player’s talent and have found that I benefit post draft when the people who prioritize situation provide opportunities for me.

It seems like for every advantage you listed with your specific players above that you could find just as many where you’re pulling your hair out when your guys go to situations that looks dire for the next few years. That seems to put an even greater emphasis on luck.