Who is this year's Puka?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Who is this year's Puka?

Postby killer_of_giants » Sat May 04, 2024 6:39 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 6:03 am He’s taken snaps out of the backfield and can absorb carries here and there.
oh shite, another elijah moore!

SoftwoodGrampian
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby SoftwoodGrampian » Sat May 04, 2024 6:50 am

They are preparing Waddle for trade;)

Bronco Billy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Sat May 04, 2024 8:08 am

killer_of_giants wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 6:39 am
Bronco Billy wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 6:03 am He’s taken snaps out of the backfield and can absorb carries here and there.
Where did you get that comp? I see him a lot closer to Jayden Reed overall with a bit of Kadarius Toney once he has the ball in the open field.

Menace2010
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Menace2010 » Sat May 04, 2024 8:46 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 8:08 am
Where did you get that comp? I see him a lot closer to Jayden Reed overall with a bit of Kadarius Toney once he has the ball in the open field.
He's making a joke because of the hype around Elijah last offseason when he got touches from the RB spot and folks went a little crazy.

Bronco Billy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Sat May 04, 2024 11:08 am

Menace2010 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 8:46 am
Bronco Billy wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 8:08 am

He's making a joke because of the hype around Elijah last offseason when he got touches from the RB spot and folks went a little crazy.
Ah. Thanks for the explanation. I didn’t follow the Elijah Moore stuff because I didn’t think much of him.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Sat May 04, 2024 11:26 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 6:03 am I’ll throw a vote out for Ainias Smith out of Texas A&M.

Looks to me like an under the radar good WR who people are not paying attention to. I drafted him at 5.06 in a 14 team 1QB graduated ppr IDP league.

Drafted in the 5th round by PHI, he’s got serious competition for targets. That can be a blessing as well, because if he fits into the slot there he’s going to draw lesser coverage as teams strive to take away their outside WRs. He’s built solidly, runs good routes and is very willing to work the middle of the field. He achieves good separation with his sharpness of routes and sudden breaks. Once he gets the ball in his hands he’s just flat put fun to watch as he changes directions on a dime, uses a variety of jukes, sets up blockers and sees seams open during pursuit that has him making crazy angle changes that provide whole new avenues to get further downfield.

He’s taken snaps out of the backfield and can absorb carries here and there. He’s also a returner for leagues that give points for that. He broke his leg in 2022 that seemed to take a little for him to recover from last year, but he regained his form in the second half of the year. There’s also some character questions that added to his falling to Rd 5. He’s a great dart throw later in your league. If you get a chance, pull up his highlight film and enjoy the show.
Since you mentioned him first, I also like Smith a bit, especially at cost. He's a little small, but doesn't play like it. Good slot WR and the only slot ahead of him in PHI is Parris Campbell. Loves working over the middle and welcomes contact. YAC machine. Great Returner too which will help his chances of sticking. The RB factor has me intrigued as well. Maybe dual eligibility in leagues?

Mike11
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Mike11 » Sat May 04, 2024 1:30 pm

Everyone is sleeping on Jermaine Burton. He fell because of character concerns and was still taken 80th overall. Late enough to be an afterthought in rookie drafts (late 2nd to 3rd round pick) but has huge upside. Hes behind Tee and Chase of course but could immediately be a candidate to start and Higgins could either get hurt or traded still.

I’m cheating because he was taken in the third but I think third vs fourth is a bit arbitrary.
League Established in 2014

2015 League Champion
2017 League Champion
2018 League Champion
2022 League Champion

10 Team 20 Keeper League Non ppr

Starters in Bold

QB Justin Herbert, Lamar Jackson Aaron Rodgers, Russel Wilson
RB Chubb, JT Javonte Williams, De’Von Achane
Flex Ekeler, Etienne
WR AJB, Stefon Diggs, Jaylen Waddle Mike Williams, Treylon Burks, Amari Rodgers, Nico Collins, Diontae Johnson, Mingo, Burks, Tillman, Batemen
TE TJ Hockenson Higbee Hurst

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sun May 05, 2024 1:35 pm

Mike11 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 1:30 pm Everyone is sleeping on Jermaine Burton. He fell because of character concerns and was still taken 80th overall. Late enough to be an afterthought in rookie drafts (late 2nd to 3rd round pick) but has huge upside. Hes behind Tee and Chase of course but could immediately be a candidate to start and Higgins could either get hurt or traded still.

I’m cheating because he was taken in the third but I think third vs fourth is a bit arbitrary.
He's starting to climb lately... I don't think anyone's sleeping anymore, at least in the wider community.

There's a pretty clear path there for relevance, given the financial situation of Bengals ownership and how they typically do things.
Triggered much? :thumbup:

Mike11
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Mike11 » Sun May 05, 2024 2:24 pm

mild wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 1:35 pm
Mike11 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 1:30 pm Everyone is sleeping on Jermaine Burton. He fell because of character concerns and was still taken 80th overall. Late enough to be an afterthought in rookie drafts (late 2nd to 3rd round pick) but has huge upside. Hes behind Tee and Chase of course but could immediately be a candidate to start and Higgins could either get hurt or traded still.

He's starting to climb lately... I don't think anyone's sleeping anymore, at least in the wider community.

There's a pretty clear path there for relevance, given the financial situation of Bengals ownership and how they typically do things.
Doesn't hurt that Matt Harmon had him as WR4 pre draft in his analysis on reception perception either. I traded a third in 2025 and 3.08 to move to 3.05 and draft him.
League Established in 2014

2015 League Champion
2017 League Champion
2018 League Champion
2022 League Champion

10 Team 20 Keeper League Non ppr

Starters in Bold

QB Justin Herbert, Lamar Jackson Aaron Rodgers, Russel Wilson
RB Chubb, JT Javonte Williams, De’Von Achane
Flex Ekeler, Etienne
WR AJB, Stefon Diggs, Jaylen Waddle Mike Williams, Treylon Burks, Amari Rodgers, Nico Collins, Diontae Johnson, Mingo, Burks, Tillman, Batemen
TE TJ Hockenson Higbee Hurst

Bronco Billy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Sun May 05, 2024 2:41 pm

I took him at 2.06 in a 14 teamer. I don’t think this guy is going to fall too far in leagues where owners are paying attention.

Jrblaha
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Jrblaha » Sun May 05, 2024 4:35 pm

Bronco Billy wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 2:41 pm

I took him at 2.06 in a 14 teamer. I don’t think this guy is going to fall too far in leagues where owners are paying attention.
Went a little later, but not crazy later in ours, SF 12 teamer, 3.04, so 27th

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Sun May 05, 2024 5:51 pm

Is Burton still a sleeper if everyone has him labeled as a sleeper

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sun May 05, 2024 5:55 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 5:51 pm

Is Burton still a sleeper if everyone has him labeled as a sleeper
I feel like someone drafted in the 3rd round of the NFL draft is not really a sleeper or a "Puka".

blemly
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby blemly » Sun May 05, 2024 6:16 pm

I’ve been wrong many times in fantasy and I’m happy to be wrong again if this ends up being a terrible take, but I think Burton stinks.

Never came close to a 1K yard season and when I see him play he just looks…incredibly average to me. Also seemed like he took plays off. Happy to miss on him but I’m not realistically considering him before the middle of 3rd rounds in a 12-team SF draft.
Team 1 (Rebuild ): 12-tm SF 0.5PPR/1.0PP1D
QB: Williams, Young, Tannehill
RB: Herbert, Akers, Gibson, Wilson, Abanikanda
WR: MHJ, Nabers, Flowers, Pickens, Dotson, Downs, Chark, Boyd, Douglas
TE: Knox
Picks: 3 ‘25 1s, 4 ‘25 2s, ‘25 3

Team 2: 14-tm SF PPR/1.5TEP
QB: Burrow, Wilson, Lance
RB: JT, Mixon, Pollard, Laube, Guerendo, Hill, Patterson, Hines
WR: Hill, Cooper, DK, DJM, D. Samuel, Sutton
TE: Freiermuth, Gesicki, Hudson
Picks: ‘25 3rd, ‘25 4th

Team 3 10-tm SF PPR
QB: Mahomes/Dak/Cousins/Jones
RB: JT, Kamara, Jacobs, Zeke, Singletary, Moss
WR: AJB, Diggs, Allen, Cooper, Wilson, Kirk, Sutton, Williams, Bateman, E. Moore
TE: Goedert, Schultz, Granson, Hill
Picks: 1.07, 2.04, 2.07

Bronco Billy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Sun May 05, 2024 7:13 pm

blemly wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 6:16 pm I’ve been wrong many times in fantasy and I’m happy to be wrong again if this ends up being a terrible take, but I think Burton stinks.

Never came close to a 1K yard season and when I see him play he just looks…incredibly average to me. Also seemed like he took plays off. Happy to miss on him but I’m not realistically considering him before the middle of 3rd rounds in a 12-team SF draft.
Well, he’s a swing for the fences for sure. But his film looks awfully strong to me. As a sophomore he led UGA WRs in receiving yds despite sharing the field with Bowers, McConkey and AD Mitchell. He transferred to ‘Bama and led the team in receiving yds both years he was there. That’s not nothing.

He’s had maturity and anger issues, but on draft day I heard Houshmanzedah promote him and said he has been working with the kid to improve his character issues and professionalism and gave him a lot of praise. That moved him up a ways in my mind, because I felt his biggest enemy was himself.

So you could be spot on if he ends up torpedoing himself. But to say he stinks just because he never hit 1k receiving - that sounds to me like a pretty shallow evaluation given what he’s done on the field that shows itself on tape. I didn’t discover all this on my own - I looked a lot harder at him when RP wrote him up and gave him a strong thumbs up. I pay attention when that happens and that triggered me digging a lot deeper. The talent is there if his head is right, and if he steps in to Higgins’ spot next year he could be serious FF factor.