Massive trade offer, stay the course or contend?

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.

1.07, 25 1st(mid-late) 25 1st(late) and 3.01 for Etienne, Monty, Henry and Evans?

1.07, 25 1st(mid-late) 25 1st(late) 3.01
56%
Etienne, Monty, Henry and Evans
44%

Total votes: 16

moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Re: Massive trade offer, stay the course or contend?

Postby moishetreats » Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:13 am

Anteaters wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:54 am
Viking386 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:24 amLove how split the comments are on this one. lol
There are a couple of big dividing lines in dynasty.

One is the Picks Crowd versus the Vets Believers. The Picks almost always prefer draft picks over veteran players unless we're talking T5 players at their position. The Picks people really want that long-term production that might get if they hit on a 22 year old player. The Vets guys will love the proven production of a player who has done it before. The Vets guys are happy with 2-4 years of a proven producer.

This specific trade kind of heightens that divide. Not only is it Vets versus Picks, but all the veterans (except ETN) are approaching their final year or two of high value potential.

Obviously there's risk both ways. Risk that draft picks flop. And Risk that older veterans run into the wall and produce poorly. In your situation, with the 1.07 in a 1qb league and a project late '25 first as two of the picks, I'm willing to gamble on the Vets.

It would be fun to look into a crystal ball and see how this plays out. Will the vets produce, or will the picks be the clear winner. No way to know right now.
I look at it slightly differently. If forced in a box, I'm absolutely a vets guy. But I don't look at that way (and I suggested the picks here).

I ask where the value is for my team. For Team 1 in sig, we're entering Year 12 and I've made the playoffs in all but one year and the championship game in 6. Somehow, I've managed to stay legit competitive in that league throughout. So I value production now more than potentially better production in the future.

AND picks are still incredibly valuable since they can be used to acquire that production if and when necessary. I love, love, love stockpiling future 2nds and 3rds. They're usually (in this league) far devalued relative to 1sts yet still carry enough weight to get me the in-season vets I often need.

Back to OP. That's why I'm opting for the picks. I'm not 100% sure which of those RBs and Evans he absolutely needs. And, in April, I don't like giving up so much draft capital for older RBs in particular. It's not because I want the picks for future production. Rather, I think those picks can be used later to target known needs and potentially 1-2 top-tier players rather than the four good/great players here.

TL;DR -- there are those who like picks because of their future trade value rather than as the possibility to get young players.
10 tms 27 plrs PPR
Start: 2QB 2RB 3WR 2TE 2Flex / best ball

QB: Herbert, Love, Rodgers, G Smith, Stidham, T Taylor, Hall
RB: McCaffrey, Mixon, Pacheco, Montgomery, Z White, Allgeier, Dillon
WR: Hill, St. Brown, Kupp, Allen, Lockett, B Johnson
TE: Kelce, Kmet, Kraft, Okonkwo, Dulcich, Tremble

2024: 2.09, 3.07, 3.08, 3.10, 4.08
2025: 2nd (x2), 4th, 5th (x2)
2026: 1st, 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th, 5th

12 tms 22 active plyrs. Salary Cap $300 PPR
Start: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1SF 1Flex / best ball

QB: Love ('24), Rodgers ('24), Stidham ('25), Lock ('25)
RB: Mitchell ('27), Dillon ('24), Rodriguez ('24), Spiller ('24)
WR: G Wilson ('26), AJ Brown ('26), E Moore ('25), DJ Montgomery ('25)
TE: --
2024 Cap Spent: $102

IR: --
TAXI SQUAD (4 max): --

BigBawseRoss
GOAT
GOAT

Postby BigBawseRoss » Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:14 am

Viking386 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:24 am
Anteaters wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:04 am All things considered (1qb league, your roster, the picks you have) I'd make the trade. Whether these vets hold up for one more year or two more years, it makes you an instant sure contender. AND you still have two 1sts for next year.

Yeah, I'm making the trade.
Love how split the comments are on this one. lol
idk how anyone on a dynasty forum is like ya pay 3 firsts plus for depreciating assets for your rebuilding squad haha.
team 1
12 team, 1 pt for 4 rec, 0.1 per rush
1qb, 3 rb, 4 wr, te, k, 4 idp
Dak , Herbert
Achane, Breece Hall, KW3Kyren,Ford, Miller, Spiller, z evans, singletary
J Jefferson, Diggs, DK, D Smith Puka, C Watson, E Moore
Njoku , HH, Engram

2024 picks
1,3,4,5,5,6,7 (all late mostly)

team 2
12 team .5ppr
qb, 2 rb, 2 wr, te, flx,flx,
Fields, Dak
Ford,Mixon, Javonte, Mostert, Chubb, Spears
Hopkins, Evans, g Wilson Mingo, shaheed, Jamo
Kelce,McBride, Chig,

team 3
14 team sf, even scoring idp to offense (rb scores highly too)
Josh Allen, A Rich, Foles, Rudolph
Bijan, Charbs, Spears, Ebner
J Williams, G Wilson, C Watson, Flowers, J Addison, Tillman
Kincaid, Kolar, Ruckert, Fergeson

Kenny Clark, josh allen, jaelen phillips, felix a-u and a bunch of fluff and rookie fliers at idp

Viking386
Captain
Captain

Postby Viking386 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:50 am

BigBawseRoss wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:14 am
Viking386 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:24 am
Anteaters wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:04 am All things considered (1qb league, your roster, the picks you have) I'd make the trade. Whether these vets hold up for one more year or two more years, it makes you an instant sure contender. AND you still have two 1sts for next year.

Yeah, I'm making the trade.
Love how split the comments are on this one. lol
idk how anyone on a dynasty forum is like ya pay 3 firsts plus for depreciating assets for your rebuilding squad haha.
I get that and I'm not going forward with the trade, but it wouldn't be quite a rebuilding team after adding two top 10 2024 RBs with monty and Evans. It would be one of the better teams. He did just put his whole team on the block so Im hoping to watch him just blow it all up as I hold his 25 1st. Id rather roll with the rookie RBs next year.
Main Home League
12 Team 1 QB PPR
-Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE and 2 Flex

QB: Anthony Richardson, Sam Darnold
RB: Nobody worth mentioning
WR: Justin Jefferson, ARSB, Olave, Nico Collins, Tyquan Thornton, Marvin Mims, Tre Tucker, Bell, Austin,
TE: McBride and Dulcich

Draft Picks
-1.02, 3.01 and 4 24 4ths.
-3 25 1sts, 1 25 2nd, 3 25 3rds and 3 25 4ths
-2 26 1sts, 2 26 2nds, 1 26 3rd, and1 26 4th

2022 Champions in full rebuild. Looking to contend again in 2025.

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:13 am

moishetreats wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:13 amBack to OP. That's why I'm opting for the picks. I'm not 100% sure which of those RBs and Evans he absolutely needs. And, in April, I don't like giving up so much draft capital for older RBs in particular. It's not because I want the picks for future production. Rather, I think those picks can be used later to target known needs and potentially 1-2 top-tier players rather than the four good/great players here.

TL;DR -- there are those who like picks because of their future trade value rather than as the possibility to get young players.
I agree there is a risk with doing the trade too early. You're right that a different, more pressing need might come up mid-season.

There are risks with every decision. If the OP holds and decides to wait until Week 3 to consummate the trade, the other guy might have traded these players to other teams by then. I'm not saying that's definitive proof to do the trade now (or ever.) I'm just saying that waiting until later to decide carries risk also.

Nothing in this doggone game is easy and without risk. :evil:
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, MWilliams, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

Viking386
Captain
Captain

Postby Viking386 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:05 pm

Anteaters wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:13 am
moishetreats wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:13 amBack to OP. That's why I'm opting for the picks. I'm not 100% sure which of those RBs and Evans he absolutely needs. And, in April, I don't like giving up so much draft capital for older RBs in particular. It's not because I want the picks for future production. Rather, I think those picks can be used later to target known needs and potentially 1-2 top-tier players rather than the four good/great players here.

I agree there is a risk with doing the trade too early. You're right that a different, more pressing need might come up mid-season.

There are risks with every decision. If the OP holds and decides to wait until Week 3 to consummate the trade, the other guy might have traded these players to other teams by then. I'm not saying that's definitive proof to do the trade now (or ever.) I'm just saying that waiting until later to decide carries risk also.

Nothing in this doggone game is easy and without risk. :evil:
Him moving his older win now pieces also benefit me as I own his first. He has several offers for Etienne, Henry and Evans plus he is shopping Hurts. So Im okay watching him blow it up as I own his first. Im typically always a vet first guy in this league as it is a 400 dollar buy in league so its a nice pay out but since I just won two years ago I decided to have some fun and blow it up. Im excited for that 25 RB class and trying to hold strong for it.
Main Home League
12 Team 1 QB PPR
-Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE and 2 Flex

QB: Anthony Richardson, Sam Darnold
RB: Nobody worth mentioning
WR: Justin Jefferson, ARSB, Olave, Nico Collins, Tyquan Thornton, Marvin Mims, Tre Tucker, Bell, Austin,
TE: McBride and Dulcich

Draft Picks
-1.02, 3.01 and 4 24 4ths.
-3 25 1sts, 1 25 2nd, 3 25 3rds and 3 25 4ths
-2 26 1sts, 2 26 2nds, 1 26 3rd, and1 26 4th

2022 Champions in full rebuild. Looking to contend again in 2025.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:58 pm

I think I missed that it was 1qb