What to do?

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
JamboMac
Role Player
Role Player

What to do?

Postby JamboMac » Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:48 pm

My current team (just taken over)

QB: D.Jones :sick:
RBs: Chase Brown, Roschon, Herbert, Dobbins :thumbup:
WR: Jefferson, London, and a bunch of scrubs
TE: Kincaid, McBride

This is an IDP, SF, TE premium league. I know I have a bunch of nobodies and this is a multi year rebuild. With that in mind, I have an offer on the table.

-Jefferson

+1.05
Jaxon Smith-Njigba
+2.04
+2.05

I have had a few offers out there, one of them I was shocked he didn't take given the guy doesn't need a QB - this is the only offer that has stuck though.

This would give me the 1.01, 1.05, 1.06, 1.08, 1.12, 2.04, 2.05 and more.. it gives me a chance to get 2 QBs + Nabers/Odunze/MHJ, or 2 WRs + a QB, with BPA with the 1.08 onwards.

Would you pull the trigger on this trade given I won't be getting any use out of JJ for a few years anyway, and him being on my team impacts my ability to get the 1.01 next season?
12 team - 1QB, PPR
QB- Mahomes, Geno, Dobbs
RB- Ekeler, Taylor, Z.White, B.Robinson, Mattison, Stevenson, Zeke
WR- Allen, Jefferson, Tyreek, AJ Brown, M.Thomas, Atwell
TE- McBride, Waller, J.Smith

12 team - SF, PPR, 0.25PPC, 1.5 TEP
QB - Allen, Lawrence, Jackson
RB - JT, Etienne, Hall, K.Williams, Gibbs, Dobbins
WR - Lamb, St Brown, AJ Brown, Aiyuk, JSN, Meyers
TE - Pitts, Engram, Freiermuth, Otton,

Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: What to do?

Postby Prison_Mike » Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:54 pm

Selling JJ for less than he's worth will ensure that this is a multi-year rebuild. JJ himself is worth somewhere in the neighborhood of 4 1sts (without you giving the 2.01 back). This is not close IMO. Hold until you have a reasonable offer

You've got a nice stable of picks. Use them to build around JJ
Team 1:
12-team | PPR | SuperFlex | 0.5-TEP
Start: 1QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/3FLX/1SF
QB: Herbert, Kyler, Baker, Jimmy G, Mariota, DTR
RB: Taylor, Saquon, Javonte, Conner, C.Evans, TDP
WR: Chase, Aiyuk, Olave, Diggs, Diontae, Hollywood, MT, Shaheed
TE: Engram, Woods, Kraft
'24 picks: 1.08, 3.05

Team 2:
12-Team | PPR | SuperFlex | 0.5-TEP
Start: QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/3FLX/1SF
QB: Mahomes, Allen, Russ
RB: Breece, JT, Swift, Javonte, Mostert, Zamir
WR: Chase, Aiyuk, Nico, Kupp, Hollywood, Kirk, MT
TE: Pitts, Njoku, Woods
'24 picks: 4.01

Team 3:
12-Team | PPR | SuperFlex | 0.5-TEP
Start: QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/3FLX/1SF
QB: Hurts, Dak, Stafford, Z.Wilson, DTR
RB: Saquon, Swift, Achane, Kamara, Ford
WR: Jefferson, AJB, ARSB, Nico, Diontae, OBJ
TE: Goedert, Njoku, Fant, Woods
'24 picks: 4.08, 4.12, 5.12

moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Postby moishetreats » Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:31 pm

I like the idea of selling JJ -- possibly a must for your team. And, like Prison_Mike said, this is pretty light.

One other possibility: you can certainly build around McBride and Kincaid in a TEP league. They've also had a huge spike in value, so you might be able to capitalize on that for one or both of them. I could argue either way... Just more possibilities to keep in mind in case something presents itself.
10 tms 27 plrs PPR
Start: 2QB 2RB 3WR 2TE 2Flex / best ball

QB: Herbert, Love, Rodgers, G Smith, Stidham, T Taylor, Hall
RB: McCaffrey, Mixon, Pacheco, Montgomery, Z White, Allgeier, Dillon
WR: Hill, St. Brown, Kupp, Allen, Lockett, B Johnson
TE: Kelce, Kmet, Kraft, Okonkwo, Dulcich, Tremble

2024: 2.09, 3.07, 3.08, 3.10, 4.08
2025: 2nd (x2), 4th, 5th (x2)
2026: 1st, 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th, 5th

12 tms 22 active plyrs. Salary Cap $300 PPR
Start: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1SF 1Flex / best ball

QB: Lawrence (contract through 2026), Love ('24), Rodgers ('24), Stidham ('25), Lock ('25)
RB: Bijan Robinson ('25), Pollard ('27), Dillon ('24), Rodriguez ('24), Spiller ('24)
WR: G Wilson ('26), AJ Brown ('26), DJ Montgomery ('25)
TE: --
2024 Cap Spent: $186

IR: --
TAXI SQUAD (4 max): --

JamboMac
Role Player
Role Player

Postby JamboMac » Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:22 pm

Prison_Mike wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:54 pm Selling JJ for less than he's worth will ensure that this is a multi-year rebuild. JJ himself is worth somewhere in the neighborhood of 4 1sts (without you giving the 2.01 back). This is not close IMO. Hold until you have a reasonable offer

I made an offer for the 1.03 + 1.07 giving up JJ + 2.01, that was rejected. I originally wanted the 1.04 + 1.05 from another + a little something extra my side, and that was rejected. I agree Jefferson is worth a decent amount, but I haven't seen him go for more than an early and mid 1st, and the closer we get to the draft the less people are likely to give up.

I am also a big fan of JSN. I think it's only a matter of time until he breaks out. I just need something to kick start this team, and I feel like making a small sacrifice could pay off long term. I'm not totally convinced though, otherwise I wouldn't have asked, so I appreciate your input. Food for thought.
12 team - 1QB, PPR
QB- Mahomes, Geno, Dobbs

moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Postby moishetreats » Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:24 pm

JamboMac wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:22 pm I made an offer for the 1.03 + 1.07 giving up JJ + 2.01, that was rejected. I originally wanted the 1.04 + 1.05 from another + a little something extra my side, and that was rejected. I agree Jefferson is worth a decent amount, but I haven't seen him go for more than an early and mid 1st, and the closer we get to the draft the less people are likely to give up.

I am also a big fan of JSN. I think it's only a matter of time until he breaks out. I just need something to kick start this team, and I feel like making a small sacrifice could pay off long term. I'm not totally convinced though, otherwise I wouldn't have asked, so I appreciate your input. Food for thought.
If you're high on JSN and looking to kickstart, then maybe try the offer without you giving up 2.01? That's more palatable, IMO, especially since this is an IDP league.
10 tms 27 plrs PPR
Start: 2QB 2RB 3WR 2TE 2Flex / best ball

QB: Herbert, Love, Rodgers, G Smith, Stidham, T Taylor, Hall
RB: McCaffrey, Mixon, Pacheco, Montgomery, Z White, Allgeier, Dillon
WR: Hill, St. Brown, Kupp, Allen, Lockett, B Johnson
TE: Kelce, Kmet, Kraft, Okonkwo, Dulcich, Tremble

2024: 2.09, 3.07, 3.08, 3.10, 4.08
2025: 2nd (x2), 4th, 5th (x2)
2026: 1st, 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th, 5th

12 tms 22 active plyrs. Salary Cap $300 PPR
Start: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1SF 1Flex / best ball

QB: Lawrence (contract through 2026), Love ('24), Rodgers ('24), Stidham ('25), Lock ('25)
RB: Bijan Robinson ('25), Pollard ('27), Dillon ('24), Rodriguez ('24), Spiller ('24)
WR: G Wilson ('26), AJ Brown ('26), DJ Montgomery ('25)
TE: --
2024 Cap Spent: $186

IR: --
TAXI SQUAD (4 max): --

JamboMac
Role Player
Role Player

Postby JamboMac » Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:27 pm

moishetreats wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:24 pm
JamboMac wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:22 pm I made an offer for the 1.03 + 1.07 giving up JJ + 2.01, that was rejected. I originally wanted the 1.04 + 1.05 from another + a little something extra my side, and that was rejected. I agree Jefferson is worth a decent amount, but I haven't seen him go for more than an early and mid 1st, and the closer we get to the draft the less people are likely to give up.

If you're high on JSN and looking to kickstart, then maybe try the offer without you giving up 2.01? That's more palatable, IMO, especially since this is an IDP league.
I originally made the offer with the 2.06 and he said it wasn't enough for him to move on. He wants 2 QBs, but he knows he will probably end up with Daniels/Maye + JJ McCarthy, and I imagine he isn't too convinced with McCarthy, so is willing to move that 1.05 (he also has the 1.04). I may see if he will switch for a decent young IDP guy like Ojulari or Zaveen Collins.
12 team - 1QB, PPR
QB- Mahomes, Geno, Dobbs

Finfansteve
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Finfansteve » Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:43 pm

No. Horrible trade for you. Don’t even ponder this you can’t trade Jefferson for that it would be a total loss for you just keep building thru the draft and make sure when you get to the draft you know the prospects inside and out. Just build around Jefferson unless you get an offer that’s too good to pass up (which I doubt you will) but if you do come back here and run it by the people on this forum before you do
Qb: Hurts, geno Smith
Rb: JT, Gibbs, Montgomery, Roschon, Z. White, Ty Chandler
Wr: AJB, JJ, Chase, waddle, G Wilson
TE: Pitts, Kincaid, Likely, Njoku

2024 1.01, 1.04, 1.05
10 team
9 players kept yearly
Non PPR
Not super flex
Start 1/1/2/1/2 flex
1 point per first down
All tds 6 points

Menace2010
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Menace2010 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:21 pm

Yeah if anything this deal sets you back another year or two. The WRs and TEs you listed are cornerstones. Everyone else is available as you try to add a long-term QB1, QB2, and WR3. Then you can consider pivoting to RB and lastly IDPs. 1.01 is CW. 1.06 is Odunze. And 1.08 is likely McCarthy in a TEP league... so you may address all three of your immediate objectives in a single class (I don't belive in McCarthy, so I'd personally be actively selling that pick, DJ, and any RB you have for a more sure thing at QB2).

TheTroll
Legend
Legend

Postby TheTroll » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:24 am

Prison_Mike wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:54 pm Selling JJ for less than he's worth will ensure that this is a multi-year rebuild. JJ himself is worth somewhere in the neighborhood of 4 1sts (without you giving the 2.01 back). This is not close IMO. Hold until you have a reasonable offer

exactly you dont give JJ away. He is a piece you build around and he is NEVER at a discount. easy pass
Team 1
Dynasty 10 team, 22 roster + 6 Taxi, PPR
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 Flex, 1 TE, K, Def

QB: Love, Goff, Fields
RB: Bijan, Montgomery, Kamara, Ford, K Herbert, Zeke, Mattison
WR: Jefferson, Olave, London, Ridley, Sutton, Shaheed
TE: Kincaid, Kittle, Freiermuth
K: Tucker, Sanders
DEF: CLE

Taxi: Charbs, K Mitchell, Demercado, QJ, D Douglas, W Robinson, Hooker

Picks
2024: 1.03, 3.06, 3.09, 4.09
2025: 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Team 2
Dynasty 10 team, 22 man roster + 6 Taxi, PPR, SF and TEP
1QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, 1 S Flex

QB: Allen, Goff, Watson, Jones
RB: K Williams, B Robinson, Chubb, Ford, Mostert, A Gibson, Dillon, Pierce, Zeke
WR: Olave, T Hill, Addison, D Adams, C Watson, D Johnson, G Davis, OBJ
TE: Kincaid, Kmet, Goedert

Taxi: Willis, DTR, Mims, K Miller, Demercado, Vaughn

Picks
2024: 1.08, 2.02
2025: 1, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5

SoftwoodGrampian
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby SoftwoodGrampian » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:55 am

Lucky that didn’t get accepted. Sounds like you’ve got an outlier sort of mentality in your league. Hold JJ if that’s the best offer you got, and if you haven’t already floated JJ to the whole league, do so and optimize value.

But anything less than was mentioned (1st x4) is instant reject for fantasy’s best non QB asset.

Also not high on JSN.

JamboMac
Role Player
Role Player

Postby JamboMac » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:52 am

SoftwoodGrampian wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:55 am Lucky that didn’t get accepted. Sounds like you’ve got an outlier sort of mentality in your league. Hold JJ if that’s the best offer you got, and if you haven’t already floated JJ to the whole league, do so and optimize value.

But anything less than was mentioned (1st x4) is instant reject for fantasy’s best non QB asset.

Also not high on JSN.
I really don't see a world where anyone pays 4 1sts for any player, nevermind a WR. There is also a very high chance that the 1.05 ends up being Maye or Daniels, and I firmly believe Maye could be better than Williams and always have, but I will be taking Williams 1.01. The guy that has the 2nd and 3rd has 3 top QBs already, I would be shocked if he went QB, and 4th is 100% taking Maye or Daniels. But either way it would give me 2 of Odunze, Nabers or Harrison (1.5 + 1.6), or a QB and one of those guys.

I understand this is all reliant on what ifs, but I need something to kick start, otherwise I'll be stuck in limbo for years longer than necessary, and then I get absolutely 0 value from Jefferson. Plus, JSN showed flashes last season to make me believe he can be a solid WR1, just maybe not an elite one.

I personally would never in a million years pay 4 1sts for Jefferson, and I've never seen anyone go for that sort of value, I think that is a huge overpay. Especially considering the WRs available in this draft, as well as the QBs. The 1.05 is elite value.

I appreciate the help though, I'm still not 100% convinced this is the right move, but it's still on the table and I may yet take it, depending on what others come back with.
12 team - 1QB, PPR
QB- Mahomes, Geno, Dobbs

Menace2010
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Menace2010 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:28 am

At a minimum, you should not be sending back 2.01 as part of this deal. I'd also want one of those 2nds from the other owner to be a 2025 1st, but recognize given everything you've said above means that is exceedingly unlikely.

As is, this deal is a massive loss. Some minor tweaks can at least make it easier to swallow.

JamboMac
Role Player
Role Player

Postby JamboMac » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:38 am

Menace2010 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:28 am At a minimum, you should not be sending back 2.01 as part of this deal. I'd also want one of those 2nds from the other owner to be a 2025 1st, but recognize given everything you've said above means that is exceedingly unlikely.

As is, this deal is a massive loss. Some minor tweaks can at least make it easier to swallow.
I really think it's closer than it first appears. I understand losing Jefferson is a blow, but it could get me to where I want to be a year earlier provided I draft well.

Jefferson => JSN + 1.05, but this could change if I got a QB and they hit within 1-2 seasons.
2.04 + 2.05 => 2.01, given the depth in this draft, I believe there will still be top value to the end of the 2nd.

I see it as quite even, more so light on my side slightly. However, I'm just trying to be realistic in what I can get really.

Appreciate your input though, I do agree it favours the other person, I just feel I need to make even a small sacrifice. Plus, it "should" also helps me get that 1.01 next season for the next top QB. Unless those guys I draft smash it out of the park, which is a win-win.
12 team - 1QB, PPR
QB- Mahomes, Geno, Dobbs

frerichs5
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby frerichs5 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:47 am

JamboMac wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:38 am
Menace2010 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:28 am At a minimum, you should not be sending back 2.01 as part of this deal. I'd also want one of those 2nds from the other owner to be a 2025 1st, but recognize given everything you've said above means that is exceedingly unlikely.

I really think it's closer than it first appears. I understand losing Jefferson is a blow, but it could get me to where I want to be a year earlier provided I draft well.

Jefferson => JSN + 1.05, but this could change if I got a QB and they hit within 1-2 seasons.
2.04 + 2.05 => 2.01, given the depth in this draft, I believe there will still be top value to the end of the 2nd.

I see it as quite even, more so light on my side slightly. However, I'm just trying to be realistic in what I can get really.

Appreciate your input though, I do agree it favours the other person, I just feel I need to make even a small sacrifice. Plus, it "should" also helps me get that 1.01 next season for the next top QB. Unless those guys I draft smash it out of the park, which is a win-win.
I’m with Menace, this deal is a massive loss. I see what you’re saying about a QB at 1.05, but what happens when you don’t get the stud? What happens when that QB turns into Fields, Lance, Zach Wilson, Pickett, Baker, Rosen, etc etc etc.

You are taking on ALL of the risk in this deal. I still like JSN, but there’s always a chance he turns into nothing as well.

There is 0 chance I’d trade JJ without something known coming back.

Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Prison_Mike » Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:34 am

frerichs5 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:47 am
JamboMac wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:38 am

I’m with Menace, this deal is a massive loss. I see what you’re saying about a QB at 1.05, but what happens when you don’t get the stud? What happens when that QB turns into Fields, Lance, Zach Wilson, Pickett, Baker, Rosen, etc etc etc.

You are taking on ALL of the risk in this deal. I still like JSN, but there’s always a chance he turns into nothing as well.

There is 0 chance I’d trade JJ without something known coming back.
Bingo.

How often do we have "sure things" that amount to busts or perennial WR2s? Or QBs that fizzle out in today's NFL?

You say "provided I draft well" as if that's all in your hands. What happens when Drake Maye doesn't study his playbook enough? You can make the right pick and still end up being wrong. If the cost of that wrong decision is a burned pick, no problem. If the cost of that wrong decision is Justin Jefferson, big problem that your roster may take years to recover from.

Maye (or whoever you select) wouldn't need to just "hit" to justify giving up JJ. He'd need to become a perennial top-8(ish) QB in addition to JSN getting a lot closer to his ceiling than he looked in YR1