Sleeper RB in 2012? ...available now

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
madMIKE
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Sleeper RB in 2012? ...available now

Postby madMIKE » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:54 pm

I'm in a 14 team dynasty league, and officially out of the playoffs.
I can still make some moves this week off the waivers.
Looking for thoughts on some RB's. Tell me which ones you think highly of.

Lance Ball (on my roster, but considering dropping)
I want to think he can step up/in for Knowshow who should be limited at the start of next year after ACL surgery, McGahee getting old, etc... or is he a depth RB and nothing more?

Joe McKnight (on my roster, but considering dropping)
Tomlinson should retire at the end of this season (maybe?), but Bilial Powell is also around and McKnight seems to be more of a kick returner and occasional 3rd down back. I may have high hopes for McKnight only because I think Shonn Greene is so lame!

Mike Goodson
IF Stewart goes somewhere else in free agency, Goodson could get a chance to play (did well in 2010). He suffered an injury early in the season so I assume he will be good to start 2012.

Rashad Jennings
Injured early, should be back for 2012. MJD is such a horse, but I can't imagine him going on forever. No other backs on Jaguars seem worth owning.

standard_variance
Starter
Starter

Re: Sleeper RB in 2012? ...available now

Postby standard_variance » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:48 pm

only Mike Goodson and Rashad Jennings hold value here....
"We must be keenly alive to the defects of our own faith also, yet not leave it on that account, but try to overcome those defects." -Ghandi

There is a difference between argument, and dogmatic assertion. Argument leaves room for change, and improvement, dogma only leaves room for acceptance.

In honor of Gino - "Strong Fantasy Quarterbacks are the cornerstone to any successful Dynasty team"

??Droppedballs??
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby ??Droppedballs?? » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:42 pm

I could be wrong but jstew isn't going to be a fa this upcoming off-season, but I am holding out hope they trade him

MrUbuto
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby MrUbuto » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:29 am

I'm actually a joe mcknight fan. if given 50/50 splits with shonn hed out preform.
QB - DWatson(HOU)Minshew(JAX)Darnold(NYJ)
RB -NChubb(CLE)DHenry(TEN)JTaylor(IND)Gurley(ATL)
WR -DHopkins(ARI)ACooper(DAL)CGodwin(TB)OBJ(CLE)
TE - HHenry(SD)DGoeddart(PHI)
K - Zurlien(LAR)Crosby(GB)
Def - ARI DAL
[rookie] Haskins(WAS)DSwift(DET)Jefferson(MIN)MHardman(KC)
7th pick in 2021

Rosters must always be 3qbs 4wrs 4rbs 2tes 2kickers 2dst and protected players don't take up a roster spot, but are only for rookie/2nd-year players that were drafted

Risky bidness
MVP
MVP

Postby Risky bidness » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:02 am

??Droppedballs?? wrote:I could be wrong but jstew isn't going to be a fa this upcoming off-season, but I am holding out hope they trade him
J stew won't be a FA next year. His contract for next year is for I believe 1.3 million. He probably has an escalator in the deal which could be troublesome, but he's not getting traded. He was the 13th overall pick and no team in the league would give equal value for where he was taken. Would Carolina take a 3rd for him now? I don't see it when other teams could draft a younger cheaper player with no medical history.

mrockwell
Role Player
Role Player

Postby mrockwell » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:01 am

Unfortunately (as a Stewart owner) I agree, he isn't going anywhere. The bigger hope is that he takes over as the starting running back and gets 20 plus carries a game and williams is relegated to change of pace role. McKnight I don't see as more than a passing down back.
Follow me on Twitter @Mark_Rockwell85

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:34 am

I too see Stewart staying in same role. However NO chance he's getting 20 carries in a game any time soon. Between Cam N. and D. Williams... and maybe throw a carry or two to Goodson. Stewarts value is severly limited by #1. his situation and #2 his foot and ankle problems. He is however helped by his age (23), his talent level (very high), and the fact that D. Williams is turning 29 before start of next season. (april). I don't think Goodson Has any value at all I guess is what I'm saying. McKnight, I like, just not that much. Was high on B. Scott but he had opportunity and blew it. Cinci's next RB will be taken in rounds 1-3 this coming april. two RB that wasn't mentioned yet that could be considered sleepers are Jacquizz. Rodgers (Atl) and C. Ogbenyanna (Clev). I'd have to say both may be given an increase in opportunity based on age of other RB on rosters as well as in the case of Clev. FA in Hillis. I'm in a 12 team league with 20 roster spots per team. Not much out there for FA RB at this time of year. We also have a IR slot that is available if needed. I was lucky enough to pick up L. Blount last year and D. Murray this year. I also have picks 2 and 3 in comming rookie draft. Assuming Luck will go 1st, I'll be doing some research on the RB's and WR's comming out.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

meineymoe
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby meineymoe » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:44 am

MrUbuto wrote:I'm actually a joe mcknight fan. if given 50/50 splits with shonn hed out preform.
where does Powell figure in this equation? of the ones listed above, I'd prefer Jennings, and maybe Goodson.

look at the rookie RBs who may have made their way to the waivers (depending on if your league has IR or deep rosters). In one league of mine, I'll be picking up Ryan Williams this week. Alex Green is also available -- I'd consider both of these IR rookies over the guys you currently have.

-oo-

MrUbuto
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby MrUbuto » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:45 am

meineymoe wrote:
MrUbuto wrote:I'm actually a joe mcknight fan. if given 50/50 splits with shonn hed out preform.
where does Powell figure in this equation? of the ones listed above, I'd prefer Jennings, and maybe Goodson.

look at the rookie RBs who may have made their way to the waivers (depending on if your league has IR or deep rosters). In one league of mine, I'll be picking up Ryan Williams this week. Alex Green is also available -- I'd consider both of these IR rookies over the guys you currently have.

-oo-
mcknight is a shifty speed demon who I think can be used by a creative offensive scheme, but given those two names you mentions williams and gree I definetly take those 2 over him
QB - DWatson(HOU)Minshew(JAX)Darnold(NYJ)
RB -NChubb(CLE)DHenry(TEN)JTaylor(IND)Gurley(ATL)
WR -DHopkins(ARI)ACooper(DAL)CGodwin(TB)OBJ(CLE)
TE - HHenry(SD)DGoeddart(PHI)
K - Zurlien(LAR)Crosby(GB)
Def - ARI DAL
[rookie] Haskins(WAS)DSwift(DET)Jefferson(MIN)MHardman(KC)
7th pick in 2021

Rosters must always be 3qbs 4wrs 4rbs 2tes 2kickers 2dst and protected players don't take up a roster spot, but are only for rookie/2nd-year players that were drafted

NJKV
Starter
Starter

Postby NJKV » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:48 am

meineymoe wrote:

-oo-
Brandon Saine is starting to look good. More of risk but if you have the space maybe worth the spot.

thriftyrocker
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby thriftyrocker » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:28 pm

madMIKE wrote: Lance Ball (on my roster, but considering dropping)
I want to think he can step up/in for Knowshow who should be limited at the start of next year after ACL surgery, McGahee getting old, etc... or is he a depth RB and nothing more?
Denver is going to run the ball a lot so there is some value in whoever is behind McGahee. As a pure stash, I'd go for one of the other worthless guys rather than Ball: Jeremiah Johnson or Mario Fannin.

melish1631
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby melish1631 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:33 pm

JFever wrote:I too see Stewart staying in same role. However NO chance he's getting 20 carries in a game any time soon. Between Cam N. and D. Williams... and maybe throw a carry or two to Goodson. Stewarts value is severly limited by #1. his situation and #2 his foot and ankle problems. He is however helped by his age (23), his talent level (very high), and the fact that D. Williams is turning 29 before start of next season. (april). I don't think Goodson Has any value at all I guess is what I'm saying. McKnight, I like, just not that much. Was high on B. Scott but he had opportunity and blew it. Cinci's next RB will be taken in rounds 1-3 this coming april. two RB that wasn't mentioned yet that could be considered sleepers are Jacquizz. Rodgers (Atl) and C. Ogbenyanna (Clev). I'd have to say both may be given an increase in opportunity based on age of other RB on rosters as well as in the case of Clev. FA in Hillis. I'm in a 12 team league with 20 roster spots per team. Not much out there for FA RB at this time of year. We also have a IR slot that is available if needed. I was lucky enough to pick up L. Blount last year and D. Murray this year. I also have picks 2 and 3 in comming rookie draft. Assuming Luck will go 1st, I'll be doing some research on the RB's and WR's comming out.
Good point on Cam Newton! I think he will get the majority of carries beginning next season and I hope the offense had enough opportunities that Newton and Stewart get their share! Deangelo has not looked that good this year and will be 29 next season!!!
DLF IDP Invitational (Commish)
IDP Smallville
IDP Big Play

mrockwell
Role Player
Role Player

Postby mrockwell » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:59 pm

melish1631 wrote:
JFever wrote:I too see Stewart staying in same role. However NO chance he's getting 20 carries in a game any time soon. Between Cam N. and D. Williams... and maybe throw a carry or two to Goodson. Stewarts value is severly limited by #1. his situation and #2 his foot and ankle problems. He is however helped by his age (23), his talent level (very high), and the fact that D. Williams is turning 29 before start of next season. (april). I don't think Goodson Has any value at all I guess is what I'm saying. McKnight, I like, just not that much. Was high on B. Scott but he had opportunity and blew it. Cinci's next RB will be taken in rounds 1-3 this coming april. two RB that wasn't mentioned yet that could be considered sleepers are Jacquizz. Rodgers (Atl) and C. Ogbenyanna (Clev). I'd have to say both may be given an increase in opportunity based on age of other RB on rosters as well as in the case of Clev. FA in Hillis. I'm in a 12 team league with 20 roster spots per team. Not much out there for FA RB at this time of year. We also have a IR slot that is available if needed. I was lucky enough to pick up L. Blount last year and D. Murray this year. I also have picks 2 and 3 in comming rookie draft. Assuming Luck will go 1st, I'll be doing some research on the RB's and WR's comming out.
Good point on Cam Newton! I think he will get the majority of carries beginning next season and I hope the offense had enough opportunities that Newton and Stewart get their share! Deangelo has not looked that good this year and will be 29 next season!!!

I should have been more clear. I said the hope is he becomes the starting back and gets 20 carries a game. Do I expect this? Not this year. I do think there is a chance he becomes the starter but due to DWills massive contract his touches will be limited. I do not think Cam gets the majority of carries anytime soon. Not that I think he wouldn't be good in that role but he is the face of the franchise and you don't want him being injured running the ball 15 times a game. If I were them I'd be nervous about using him as the primary goal line back. He is very good at it though so I understand why they do it. Not wishing this on him by any means but if he becomes the primary ball carrier he is one major injury away from not being the dynamo he is right now. There is plenty of room on that team for an RB1, unfortunately as long as they have two effective rb's we won't get that.
Follow me on Twitter @Mark_Rockwell85

Richman
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Richman » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:10 pm

JStew's problem is Cam is a TD vulture, and I don't see that changing. I think McKnight will have the best situation for the foreseeable future. I like Powell, but Greene was drafted high by this staff and will get every opportunity to succeed. McKnight will replace LT's role next year and that role can be fantasy friendly at times.
gangsta blue *League Champ*(1QB,2RB,2WR,1TE,1K,1D) 12 Team/20 Player
QB:A Rodgers
WR:Fitz,Nicks,Maclin,Garcon,D.Rodgers
RB:Rice,McCoy,R Mathews,Stacy,Michaels,Hunter,J.Bell,K.Davis,Leshoure,M.James,L.Murray
TE:Cameron,Ertz,A.Robinson

Blue Droogie(1QB,2RB,2WR,1TE,1Flex,1K,1D) 16 Team/20 Player
QB:P Manning,Luck,Mallett
WR:Nicks,D Thomas,Garcon,Thompkins
RB:Rice,Forte,Mathews,Vereen,Helu,K.Davis,L.Murray
TE:Cameron,Rudolph,A.Robinson

voiceofunreason
MVP
MVP

Postby voiceofunreason » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:58 pm

Another big problem with Stewart is the awful defense. If it played better they'd have a lot more close games/leads and he'd get more work. In the long-term I'm most worried about his various foot injuries as I think he'll get his chance whether it is next year or 2 years from now.

Out of the players above, I only have a little bit of love for McKnight. From what I remember about Ball, after looking into him when Moreno went down, he has close to no long-term value. They'll be a young rb or 2 heading to Denver next year and they'll be great players to add.

I suppose Powell and White in Buffalo have some opportunity. Maybe somebody else will come out of nowhere but I don' see it at the moment.