2024 Combine

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
PigeonBoys
Role Player
Role Player

Re: 2024 Combine

Postby PigeonBoys » Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:04 am

frerichs5 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:19 am Theoretically, say Vikings don’t keep Kirk, but trade into top 10 and draft JJM. Where would you put JJM in rookie drafts? Good draft capital. Almost couldn’t have a better situation with the pass happy offense and weapons there.
I'm hearing the Vikes apparently "adore" The Drake. Whether or not that could get done is one thing but I also feel like this is smokescreen season where everyone says crazy stuff. Remember Levis challenging for the top pick last year lol and he ended up being a 2nd rounder.

I was hearing JJM jumped Daniels due to his combine performance. How much truth there is to that, who knows?
12 Team .5 PPR Dynasty Start 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1FLEX, 1TE, 1 DEF, 1K

2018: 2nd 🥈
2019: Champs :dance: 🏆
2020: 2nd 🥈
2021: 2nd 🥈
2022: 2nd 🥈
2023: Champs :dance: 🏆

QB: L. Jackson, D.Prescott, K. Cousins
RB: S. Barkley, A. Kamara, A. Jones, K. Miller, J. Ford, D. Singletary, J. Williams
WR: J. Jefferson, A.St. Brown, DK Metcalf, M. Brown, N. Collins, C. Kirk, J. Smith-Schuster, C. Tillman
TE: D. Waller, D. Njoku, D. Goedert

Draft picks:
2024 - 1.12, 2.12, 3.05, 4.12
2025 - 1st (Other Owner), 2nd, 4th
2026 - 1st, 2nd (Other Owner)

yinzername
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby yinzername » Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:43 am

trc wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:00 am
yinzername wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:52 am in non TE Prem I now have BTJ as my WR4 and ahead of Bowers

and yes I just spammed tghis opinion across a handful of threads
You were also generous with number of letters used :D
g thanks
SF - PPR - 12t - start10
Notable Assets in Rebuild
QB: Mahomes - Levis - Rudolph
RB: K Mitchell - J McLaughlin - C Rodriguez - Z Evans
WR: AJB - M Pittman- R Doubs - E Moore - Shaheed - C Tillman- A Iosivas
TE: MAndrews - Kraft
'24: 1.1, 1.7, 2.1, 2.6, 2.10, 3.1, 3.10
‘25: 1 1st, 2 2nds, 2 3rds

2nd year DFF
SF - PPR - 12t - start10
QB: TLaw - Purdy - Goff
RB: Chubb - D Montgomery - D Singletary - A Mattison - K Miller - J Hill
WR: CeeDee - Aiyuk - Rice - Godwin - J Reed - E Moore
TE: Kittle - Kincaid - Chig
picks: 1.09, 2.11

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:46 am

I hear a lot about draft capital yet again. We realize that it only takes one team to create draft capital by selecting a player and that there could be 31 other teams in the league who think they are complete idiots by drafting that particular player so early, right?

Draft capital is not established by the NFL. It is established by the opinion of one team and one team only.

yinzername
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby yinzername » Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:54 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:46 am I hear a lot about draft capital yet again. We realize that it only takes one team to create draft capital by selecting a player and that there could be 31 other teams in the league who think they are complete idiots by drafting that particular player so early, right?

Draft capital is not established by the NFL. It is established by the opinion of one team and one team only.
of course, I think that's clear and well known (side-eye's LAC and QJ)

but you can often hear the murmurs of a bit if how many teams have this round or that round gread on a guy, so it might be a little clearer when it feels like just one team is reaching. And of course there's the investment, a team throws a first on a guy, they're gonna try to get money out of'em. Take the Trey Lance example, he was still viable in NFL and DFF trades through last off-season. Now if you get to precious with sunk-cost, and refuse to take the loss in capital, that's on you. But if you like a guy, he goes in the first, he busts, he doesn't have to rot on your bench. you just gotta be quick and take what you can get
SF - PPR - 12t - start10

2nd year DFF
SF - PPR - 12t - start10

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:05 am

yinzername wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:54 am
Bronco Billy wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:46 am I hear a lot about draft capital yet again. We realize that it only takes one team to create draft capital by selecting a player and that there could be 31 other teams in the league who think they are complete idiots by drafting that particular player so early, right?

but you can often hear the murmurs of a bit if how many teams have this round or that round gread on a guy, so it might be a little clearer when it feels like just one team is reaching. And of course there's the investment, a team throws a first on a guy, they're gonna try to get money out of'em. Take the Trey Lance example, he was still viable in NFL and DFF trades through last off-season. Now if you get to precious with sunk-cost, and refuse to take the loss in capital, that's on you. But if you like a guy, he goes in the first, he busts, he doesn't have to rot on your bench. you just gotta be quick and take what you can get
And he’s still doing d**k for his FF teams. The only thing he has done is burn up roster space. But oh that DC!

But yeah, I get your point but I am so skeptical when I see film on guys who either have a fatal flaw or has very few transferrable skills (IMO of course and God knows I’ve been wrong enough) and then they get that oh so important DC and then FFers continue to rely on that DC sometimes for years in discussions when the fact is that the guy has created a mediocre or worse resume in the NFL.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:24 am

It's not bulletproof, but if you had to use only one variable, draft capital would have the strongest correlation to success. Of course, it stops meaning something once there's a meaningful sample size in the NFL.

yinzername
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby yinzername » Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:08 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:05 am
yinzername wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:54 am

And he’s still doing d**k for his FF teams. The only thing he has done is burn up roster space. But oh that DC!

But yeah, I get your point but I am so skeptical when I see film on guys who either have a fatal flaw or has very few transferrable skills (IMO of course and God knows I’ve been wrong enough) and then they get that oh so important DC and then FFers continue to rely on that DC sometimes for years in discussions when the fact is that the guy has created a mediocre or worse resume in the NFL.
I'm curious who you think could fall into this category this draft? who are your fatal flaw guys?

I'd guess we'd have to wait til after the draft to suss out the "fake "firsts". Some team with a bad track record or serious need reaches for someone we didn't hear getting a lot of 1st round grades from the league...
SF - PPR - 12t - start10

2nd year DFF
SF - PPR - 12t - start10

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:30 am

It's not the end all be all, but draft capital does have positive correlation to NFL success and should be a piece of the puzzle.

More importantly than high capital, which just confirms my predraft opinions, I want to see those who fall. That doesn't just mean one team passed on them, but the whole league. Players like Levis, Boutte, Butler. I do avoid those players in general. I'll let someone else take that reach.

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:10 am

James Cook is an example where the fantasy community laughed at his draft capital and said he didn't deserve it. The reality was Buffalo valued him and intended to use him, to the tune of RB11 finish in 2023. And dare I say, looked very deserving of the draft capital that 1 team gave him.

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:15 am

The fallers are even more important, agree CGW. Look at Boutte, wow, that was quite a drop.
D3:
QB—Allen, Pickett RB—Kamara, Jacobs, ZWhite, Edwards, Ford, Warren WR—Lamb, Olave, DJM, Puka, Tillman, Marshall, Jefferson, Robinson, Tucker TE—Ferguson, Schoon, Likely, Smith, Washington, Kraft PK—Prater DEF—BAL

D4:
QB—TLaw, JimmyG, Tannehill, AOC, Hall RB—Bijan, Kamara, Conner, Gainwell, Gainwell, Foreman, ZMoss, Chandler, McLaughlin, Murray WR—Jefferson, Hill, Adams, Allen, Tillman, Woods TE—Kelce, Kmet, Conklin PK—Butker DEF—PIT

Superflex 1:
QB—Mahomes, Rodgers, Mayfield RB—Bijan, Kamara, Allgeier, Singletary, Mostert, BRob, Warren, Rodriguez, Spiller WR—Chase, DJM, Devonta, MBrown, Myers, Reynold, Jones TE—Kmet, Likely, Kraft, Conklin, Hurst, Hudson PK—Elliott DEF—PHI

Superflex 2:
QB: Goff, Cousins, Wentz, White; RB: Bijan, BRob, ZWhite, Allgeier, McLaughlin WR: DJM, Higgins, JSN, Downs, RMoore, Atwell, SMoore, PCampbell, DPJ, ATP, Hutchinson, Iosivas, Devante, CJones TE: Ferguson, Kraft, Trautman, Tremble

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:17 pm

If you took a random WR from Day 1 of your rookie draft each of the last 4 years:

2023: Smith-Njigba, Flowers, Johnston, Addison
2022: London, Wilson, Olave, Wiliams, Dotson, Burks
2021: Chase, Waddle, Smith, Bateman, Toney
2020: Ruggs, Lamb, Jeudy, Reagor, Jefferson, Aiyuk

Hit: 11/21 (52%)

- About half of the players that go in the 1st round hit. The other half don't for whatever reason. It's about as strong a correlation as you'll ever find.

If you took a random WR from Day 2 of your rookie draft:

2023: Mingo, Reed, Rice, M. Mims, Dell, Hyatt, Tillman, Downs, M. Wilson, Tucker
2022: Watson, Robinson, Metchie, Thornton, Pickens, Pierce, S. Moore, V. Jones, Tolbert, Gray, Bell
2021: E. Moore, R. Moore, Eskridge, Atwell, Marshall, Palmer, D. Brown, Rodgers, Collins, Schwartz
2020: Higgins, Pittman, Shenault, Hamler, Claypool, V. Jefferson, Mims, Bowden, Edwards, Duvernay

Hit: 9/41 (22%)

- That's a steep drop, even with getting solid Day 2 Pedigree. This could have more hits than usual in this area, though worth remembering that even a strong group like 2022 has had a ton of Day 2 duds.

Open it up to the rest of the draft. It'll just be easier to list the players who did hit.

2023: Puka (1/19)
2022: N/A (0/11)
2021: Amon-Ra (1/20)
2020: Mooney (1/19)

Hit: 3/69 (4%)

Basically a lottery ticket hoping for the next AB, Diggs, Amon-Ra, Puka, etc.

You're better off using these as sweeteners to move up somewhere else. Don't let "depth" fool you. 2014 is arguably the best WR class ever and there are no useful WRs drafted on Day 3 in that group. The closest was Martavis Bryant. Same thing with 2022 (Doubs). If your player falls to Day 3, it's worth considering that they aren't very good.

Draft capital is probably the most logical, all inclusive variable you can utilize. Yes, the NFL makes mistakes....a bunch of them, but more often than not they get it right with the players who can't play.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:16 pm

And while we're here blowing holes in your what-about-ism...

Draft Capital is a key input for a lot of the Prospect Modelling that is done around the Fantasy community by more stat-heavy analysts.

Not that you're into that kind of thing, but this is why your overall point is bad. JJ Zachariason explains more about how his Prospect Model works, and why DC is far more important for him than anything that might happen at the Combine in his latest episode here.

Menace2010
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Menace2010 » Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:58 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:17 pm If you took a random WR from Day 1 of your rookie draft each of the last 4 years:

2023: Smith-Njigba, Flowers, Johnston, Addison
2022: London, Wilson, Olave, Wiliams, Dotson, Burks
2021: Chase, Waddle, Smith, Bateman, Toney
2020: Ruggs, Lamb, Jeudy, Reagor, Jefferson, Aiyuk

Hit: 11/21 (52%)

- About half of the players that go in the 1st round hit. The other half don't for whatever reason. It's about as strong a correlation as you'll ever find.

If you took a random WR from Day 2 of your rookie draft:

2023: Mingo, Reed, Rice, M. Mims, Dell, Hyatt, Tillman, Downs, M. Wilson, Tucker
2022: Watson, Robinson, Metchie, Thornton, Pickens, Pierce, S. Moore, V. Jones, Tolbert, Gray, Bell
2021: E. Moore, R. Moore, Eskridge, Atwell, Marshall, Palmer, D. Brown, Rodgers, Collins, Schwartz
2020: Higgins, Pittman, Shenault, Hamler, Claypool, V. Jefferson, Mims, Bowden, Edwards, Duvernay

Hit: 9/41 (22%)

- That's a steep drop, even with getting solid Day 2 Pedigree. This could have more hits than usual in this area, though worth remembering that even a strong group like 2022 has had a ton of Day 2 duds.

Open it up to the rest of the draft. It'll just be easier to list the players who did hit.

2023: Puka (1/19)
2022: N/A (0/11)
2021: Amon-Ra (1/20)
2020: Mooney (1/19)

Hit: 3/69 (4%)

Basically a lottery ticket hoping for the next AB, Diggs, Amon-Ra, Puka, etc.

You're better off using these as sweeteners to move up somewhere else. Don't let "depth" fool you. 2014 is arguably the best WR class ever and there are no useful WRs drafted on Day 3 in that group. The closest was Martavis Bryant. Same thing with 2022 (Doubs). If your player falls to Day 3, it's worth considering that they aren't very good.

Draft capital is probably the most logical, all inclusive variable you can utilize. Yes, the NFL makes mistakes....a bunch of them, but more often than not they get it right with the players who can't play.
Fantastic post. Thanks for doing all the stats/legwork to pull it together.

Menace2010
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Menace2010 » Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:01 pm

Will add to my above, we shouldn't dismiss everyone that isn't bolded quite yet. In 2021 and 2022 Nico would have been classified in the other bucket. I still hold out hope for a few of the guys drafted in 2022 and 2023 that haven't hit yet.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:14 pm

Menace2010 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:01 pm Will add to my above, we shouldn't dismiss everyone that isn't bolded quite yet. In 2021 and 2022 Nico would have been classified in the other bucket. I still hold out hope for a few of the guys drafted in 2022 and 2023 that haven't hit yet.
Right. I think there are a few players who aren't hits that could still pan out as well, though it's becoming increasingly unlikely.

Ultimately, we can use all the stats and watch all the game tape we want. But, if you merely did the following:

1. Draft players with R1 pedigree.
2. Draft players with Day 2 pedigree.
3. Invest very little into players with Day 3 pedigree.

You'd probably do better than any other route. Draft capital is the most essential component there is. It's very unlikely that any of us can outsmart the NFL over a long sample size by disregarding it.