WR size consideration (FUN for the 1.1!)

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Valhalla
Legend
Legend

WR size consideration (FUN for the 1.1!)

Postby Valhalla » Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:57 pm

Update: Check the bottom of the post. Corrections are in red.

This is just a quick study that I'm sure has been done many times before and more comprehensively, but I couldn't find one so I did the work myself. I've read some "Brian Thomas is too tall and skinny" comments and that got me digging a bit.

This is just a list of tall and considered successful WRs I could think of since I've followed football. I'm SURE I am missing players. I'm SURE that my arbitrary cut-off of 6'2.5" (sorry Andre and others) is going to be called out, but I had to limit the list somehow. I KNOW there are plenty of guys drafted in this size range that DON'T pan out. This list is more just to address the question...how thick do we want a taller WR to be to alleviate our concerns? What do the success stories look like? I pulled these stats from a combine results website. Yell and scream and ridicule in all caps if you think they are wrong. :D

Moss (first listed cause...well...he's the best)- 6'3.6" 194lbs, BMI 24.44 -- BMI 23.9
Michael Thomas 6'2.75" 212lbs, BMI 27.32 -- BMI 26.7
Plaxico 6'5.4" 231lbs, BMI 27.76 -- BMI 27.1
Evans 6'4.75" 231lbs, BMI 28.23 -- BMI 27.6
Marshall 6'4.5" 229lbs, BMI 28.17 -- BMI 27.5
VJax 6'4.75" 241lbs, BMI 29.46 -- BMI 28.8
Julio 6'2.75" 220lbs, BMI 28.35 -- BMI 27.7
AJ Green 6'3.63" 211lbs, BMI 26.56 -- BMI 25.9
T.O. 6'2.9" 213lbs, BMI 27.34 -- BMI 26.7
Megatron 6'5" 239lbs, BMI 29.02 -- BMI 28.3
Fitz 6'2.875" 225lbs, BMI 28.2 -- BMI 28.2
Metcalf 6'3.38" 228lbs, BMI 28.89 -- BMI 28.2
Alshon (just making the cut for "do I care", buddy) 6'2.88" 216lbs, BMI 27.74 -- BMI 27.1
Colston 6'4.63" 224lbs, BMI 26.8

Moss is an outlier for his BMI and success. I bet it has nothing to do with his BLAZING speed, incredible hands, kind of off the charts college production, or being continuously mentored/pushed by Cris Carter, though. Yeah, his size profile alone checks out. :ewink:

Seriously, just by these success stories of taller WRs, it seems we want a BMI roughly 27.5-29 26.7-28.3, with guys like AJ (below) and VJax (above) being slight outliers.
Again, these are guys from my recall. I know I'm forgetting people. And I'm not listing the failures. That would take forever.

UNOFFICIAL! We'll know more this time next week, but this is speculation of size from the webbernet:
Brian Thomas 6'4" 205lbs, BMI 25.0. A little lighter than I'd like to see, for sure.
Marvin Harrison JR 6'4" 205lbs, BMI 25.0. :shh: :lol:

Update: NFLcombineresults.com was used, and I double checked the site and the numbers I put into this post are exactly what they have recorded...but when I calculate BMI, I get lower numbers across the board. From what I can tell, their height and weight numbers are accurate. I don't know why their BMI doesn't come out right in the calculation, but I just calculated out the BMI for each player, and posted that in red. I don't know what's up with that website, but it seems at quick glance that everyone's BMI is about 0.7 higher than the height weight calculates it to be. As a result, the range dropped about 0.7 in BMI on the high and low end. There IS still a tight grouping, and if Brian Thomas (and more importantly Marvin) come out as their projected height and weight at the combine, then they ARE outliers on the light side. They just aren't as far of outliers as the original post indicated.
Last edited by Valhalla on Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Re: WR size consideration (FUN for the 1.1!)

Postby Valhalla » Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:01 pm

Paul717
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Paul717 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:07 pm

Those are some absolute studs there. Maybe this is a biased memory, but all those guys were like 4.45 or faster in my mind. (No way am I going to look it up out of laziness though)

If Brian Thomas runs a 4.28 or something stupid like that, I don't care if he only weighs 205. GET IN MY BELLY! Er, I mean, get on my team!

Sure, tackling a bigger dude like Brandon Marshall was a pain in the a** for smaller CBs. But so was catching him in the first place. Tall + fast = some team will take him high and so will my Fantasy team.

Or was this a sneaky anti Brian Thomas thread, Sir? Get out of here with that on a Friday!
"Marathon Square" - 16 team full PPR league with 24 player roster. Keep 16 per year indefinitely, draft 8. Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 Team DST
QB: Jordan Love, Deshaun Watson
RB: Travis Etienne, Aaron Jones, Jamaal Williams, Kendre Miller, Jaleel McLaughlin, Sean Tucker, Deuce Vaughn
WR: A.J. Brown, Garrett Wilson, Tee Higgins, Calvin Ridley, Michael Wilson, Kendrick Bourne, Tutu Atwell, Allen Lazard, Isaiah Hodgins, Justin Shorter
TE: T.J. Hockenson, Cole Kmet, Kylen Granson
K: Didn't make the playoffs in 2023 :cry: , and don't usually hold one in the offseason
Team DST: Cowboys, Lions

Picks:
2024: 1.06, 2.06, 4.06, 5.06, 6.06, 7.06, 8.06

Disclaimer: My one and only Championship in this league was way back in 2011. Therefore, take my replies with the appropriate grain of salt. :lol:

hockeyBjj
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby hockeyBjj » Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:12 pm

Is there a way to get a counter of the non fantasy studs that originally had potential?

Actually well bleep. I was about to use Quentin Johnston as my neg example of an alpha-framed WR who's looking like a bust- but at 6'4" 208 lbs he's actually one of the small BMI you're warning about. I really thought he was 220. His BMI is 25.3
Team 1- 10 team ppr, 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flx, 1D, 1K
2022: 1-8
Finishes: 6th, 6th, 1st, 5th, 6th, 9th
QB: Lamar Jackson, Purdy
RB: Bijan, Dobbins, Achane, Charbonnet, Algier, McBride, waiver trash
WR: JSN, QJ, Addison, Dotson, Skyy Moore, Jameson Williams, Hyatt, T Dell, Boutte, Skowronek, Quez Watkins, Greg Dortch, waiver trash
TE: Hockenson, F Monroe, Juwan, Musgrave
D/K: Patriots, Vikings, Saints, Dicker

picks-
2024- 1,1,1,1,2,2,2,3,3,4,5,5
2025 1,1,1,2,3,4,5

team 2- 12 team SF, .5PPR, .5TE boost, 1QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
2022: 8-1
Finishes: 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd :wall:
QB: Ljax, GenoD Jones, Minshew, Dobbs
RB: CMC, Stevenson, A Jones, Chubb, A Mattison, D cook, Perine, Mckinnon,
WR:Tyreek, Diggs, C Kupp, D Adams, Keenan Allen, Lockett, Gallup, A Lazard, Hodgins
TE: Kelce, LaPorta, Irv Smith,
No picks until 2026 5th rounder lol

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:22 pm

Paul717 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:07 pm Those are some absolute studs there. Maybe this is a biased memory, but all those guys were like 4.45 or faster in my mind. (No way am I going to look it up out of laziness though)

If Brian Thomas runs a 4.28 or something stupid like that, I don't care if he only weighs 205. GET IN MY BELLY! Er, I mean, get on my team!

Sure, tackling a bigger dude like Brandon Marshall was a pain in the a** for smaller CBs. But so was catching him in the first place. Tall + fast = some team will take him high and so will my Fantasy team.

Or was this a sneaky anti Brian Thomas thread, Sir? Get out of here with that on a Friday!
You must have loved Martavis Bryant (pretty decent comp for Thomas IMO).

Paul717
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Paul717 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:28 pm

Bronco Billy wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:22 pm
Paul717 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:07 pm Those are some absolute studs there. Maybe this is a biased memory, but all those guys were like 4.45 or faster in my mind. (No way am I going to look it up out of laziness though)

I did! Oh...wait. Lol.

He should've been better in the NFL. But PFF shows he was a 4.42 guy. Thomas might be faster!!
"Marathon Square" - 16 team full PPR league with 24 player roster. Keep 16 per year indefinitely, draft 8. Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 Team DST
QB: Jordan Love, Deshaun Watson
RB: Travis Etienne, Aaron Jones, Jamaal Williams, Kendre Miller, Jaleel McLaughlin, Sean Tucker, Deuce Vaughn
WR: A.J. Brown, Garrett Wilson, Tee Higgins, Calvin Ridley, Michael Wilson, Kendrick Bourne, Tutu Atwell, Allen Lazard, Isaiah Hodgins, Justin Shorter
TE: T.J. Hockenson, Cole Kmet, Kylen Granson
K: Didn't make the playoffs in 2023 :cry: , and don't usually hold one in the offseason
Team DST: Cowboys, Lions

Picks:
2024: 1.06, 2.06, 4.06, 5.06, 6.06, 7.06, 8.06

Disclaimer: My one and only Championship in this league was way back in 2011. Therefore, take my replies with the appropriate grain of salt. :lol:

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:44 pm

Uh oh...there's something wrong with the combine website I used. I noticed AJ Green's BMI looked suspiciously high for his height and weight so I calculated it and...the website was wrong on either height, weight or BMI. I don't know what else is wrong.
This whole study may be trash simply because it was all based on a pretty firm BMI range I was seeing...but it seems that those BMI scores posted are incorrect (or height or weight were incorrect).
I'll correct/edit when I have time.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:55 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:22 pm

Good comp. Martavis would have been solid if not for the mental aspect.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:10 am

Valhalla wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:44 pm Uh oh...there's something wrong with the combine website I used. I noticed AJ Green's BMI looked suspiciously high for his height and weight so I calculated it and...the website was wrong on either height, weight or BMI. I don't know what else is wrong.
This whole study may be trash simply because it was all based on a pretty firm BMI range I was seeing...but it seems that those BMI scores posted are incorrect (or height or weight were incorrect).
I'll correct/edit when I have time.
This is my main hang-up with trying to do any research based on ht/wt for players. Generally its hard to pinpoint a number for any specific player. Some players don't go to the combine, some show up overweight to hit a threshold and some show up slimmed down to run faster.

For example, hockeyBjj posted above about QJ at 6'4 208 being on the low end BMI (25.3). However, I have him at 6'3 212 (26.5 BMI). I think BMI is more suited for RB research, but I have seen huge discrepancies with players like Kamara and Pollard before.

---

I don't think there's any correlation with BMI and WR success. Now if you want to look at Speed Score, or height adjusted speed score (HASS), I bet most of those in the OP are very, very high up.

Just for fun, The highest HASS WR I have in my notes for the past 4 drafts
Rd 1: Chase, London, Ruggs, Burks, Jamo, Jefferson
Rd 2: Claypool, Watson, D Mims, Pierce, Mingo, Pittman, Thornton, Terrace Marshall
Rd 3: Velus Jones, Nico Collins

Filter out the bad Breakout ages like Claypool and Velus and the hit rate looks a bit better. Filter by good route runners (something this big and fast guys usually lack) and you will find your studs of the draft. That's my biggest question when it comes to Thomas specifically, because we know he has speed/size

81-
Captain
Captain

Postby 81- » Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:27 am

Can he get open and does he have good hands? Anything else is just waxing
12 Team, 1QB, 3WR, 2RB, 1TE, 1Flex, D, K, 10 Bench
1PPR, 0.5 point per carry.
Burrow, Richardson
AJ Brown, DJMoore, G Wilson, T Higgens, Sutton, Tillman, Melton
King Henry, Bijan, Pacheco, Mixon, Ford, JK
Hockenson, Musgrave
Random Kicker
Niners

Picks in 2024 - #15, #22, #23, #27

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:39 pm

I’ve been looking into this for like 5+ years. I don’t think bmi works, I just use a baseline of 110lbs. And top 2 round draft capital. And they have to be pretty productive in college. And they should be reasonably fast and good leaper. I’ve posted about this before. It’s why I was so high on Pittman when everyone else was worried about him being a senior.

And also, no site has 100% correct numbers. So some of the heights and weights your using are likely wrong if you haven’t double checked

yinzername
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby yinzername » Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:52 pm

This is a DD thread now
SF - PPR - 12t - start10
Notable Assets in Rebuild
QB: Mahomes - Levis - Rudolph
RB: K Mitchell - J McLaughlin - C Rodriguez - Z Evans
WR: AJB - M Pittman- R Doubs - E Moore - Shaheed - C Tillman- A Iosivas
TE: MAndrews - Kraft
'24: 1.1, 1.7, 2.1, 2.6, 2.10, 3.1, 3.10
‘25: 1 1st, 2 2nds, 2 3rds

2nd year DFF
SF - PPR - 12t - start10
QB: TLaw - Purdy - Goff
RB: Chubb - D Montgomery - D Singletary - A Mattison - K Miller - J Hill
WR: CeeDee - Aiyuk - Rice - Godwin - J Reed - E Moore
TE: Kittle - Kincaid - Chig
picks: 1.09, 2.11

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:26 pm

Can anyone name a stud wr in the last 25 years that was over 6’2.5” that was outside of this BMI range? Thinner frame than AJ Green? Yes, Moss. He was a freak. Am I missing other players?
Seems to me that this is somewhat comprehensive of the very good taller wrs…and 6’4 205 is just quite a bit slimmer built than anyone but Moss. Would I draft Marvin 1? Yep. Does this make me worry some whereas before I had no doubt? Yeah it does honestly.

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:14 am

Valhalla wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:26 pm Can anyone name a stud wr in the last 25 years that was over 6’2.5” that was outside of this BMI range? Thinner frame than AJ Green? Yes, Moss. He was a freak. Am I missing other players?
Seems to me that this is somewhat comprehensive of the very good taller wrs…and 6’4 205 is just quite a bit slimmer built than anyone but Moss. Would I draft Marvin 1? Yep. Does this make me worry some whereas before I had no doubt? Yeah it does honestly.
I'm too lazy, but ...

Go through the last 5, 10, 15 NFL drafts and identify WRs (drafted in rounds 1-3) who fit the physical profile and BMI of MHJr. Chart how they performed over their pro careers.

Doing that should add pertinent data to your theory.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, MWilliams, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:36 am

Valhalla wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:26 pm Would I draft Marvin 1? Yep. Does this make me worry some whereas before I had no doubt? Yeah it does honestly.
That’ll happen when you try to find some finite bracket and then try to force all players to fit into it. These are human beings, not assembly line automatons. If humans do anything with certainty, it’s that they continue to prove that there are exceptions to the rule. But if worrying about this despite what you see on the field works for you, knock yourself out.