Stay Classy San Diego

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
holy_stromboli
MVP
MVP

Stay Classy San Diego

Postby holy_stromboli » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:43 pm

The winds of change appear to be a-blowin', via Rotoworld:
According to the San Diego Union-Tribune, Chargers President Dean Spanos feels he has "no choice" but to fire coach Norv Turner by the end of the season.
Beat writer Kevin Acee reports Spanos will "almost certainly" fire GM A.J. Smith, as well. Before the Bolts lost to Denver in overtime at home last week, Acee reported it would take a "miracle turnaround" for Turner to save his job. Technically still in the AFC West race, the Chargers need a near total collapse from the Raiders to make the playoffs for the fourth time in five years under Turner.
Curious how people think this will affect all Charger fantasy values next year and beyond? It was one thing if Norv were to be fired, but a new GM really makes this interesting!

Shawn
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Stay Classy San Diego

Postby Shawn » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:10 pm

This is a bit of a shocker, looks like AJ Smith and Norv are staying :crazy:

SAN DIEGO (AP) -- San Diego Chargers President Dean Spanos has decided to keep coach Norv Turner and general manager A.J. Smith despite the team missing the playoffs for the second straight season amid increasing fan discontent.

Spanos made his decision Tuesday, two days after the Chargers finished 8-8 by beating Oakland to keep the Raiders out of the playoffs.

Turner is 49-31 in five years in San Diego but only 3-3 in the playoffs. He is 107-113-1 in three stints as a head coach, including with Washington and Oakland. Both of those teams fired him.

San Diego went 4-1 at the beginning and end of the season but was undone by a six-game losing streak in the middle. One more win would have earned the Chargers the AFC West title.

Smith has come under fire for the erosion of talent from a roster that at one time was considered among the NFL's best.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/f ... z1iQaOZuAZ
“I had a couple of drinks. I started in 1970 and finished in 1985. It was a very big drink.” - Alice Cooper
“I’m sick to death of people saying we’ve made 11 albums that sound exactly the same. In fact, we’ve made 12 albums that sound exactly the same.” - Angus Young of AC/DC
"Every album Van Halen did was actually an Eddie solo album" - Eddie Van Halen
"Don't hate me because I'm fabulous" - Prince

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:22 pm

Both Turner and Smith have something on Spanos... :crazy:

melish1631
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby melish1631 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:34 am

It's unbelievable...really! With Gruden, Fisher, Billick, Cowher etc out there and he keeps Norv? Wow!
DLF IDP Invitational (Commish)
IDP Smallville
IDP Big Play

ekassor
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ekassor » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:23 pm

I sorta get keeping Norv, but they need a top notch DC. Smith is a terribad GM that is killing the Chargers. Its great to be a stubborn bleep when you're right but terribad to a stubborn bleep when you're wrong. The deterioration of talent on that team is laid at Smith's doorstep.

holy_stromboli
MVP
MVP

Postby holy_stromboli » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:37 pm

:shock:

Sorry Chargers fans, I feel for you.