Title Game Weekend Thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Title Game Weekend Thread

Postby killer_of_giants » Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:45 am

YouMightDieTryin wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:26 am As for kicking the FG...yes, they should've. BUT outside of 45 they hadn't used their Kicker (Badgley+Patterson) all season. Patterson did have one 52 yarder. So there was no real reason to think things were going to change there. They just don't trust him.
i mean, pay someone else then. getting to that stage with a kicker you don't trust is not exactly a ringing endorsement for who's managing that roster.

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:01 am

killer_of_giants wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:45 am
YouMightDieTryin wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:26 am As for kicking the FG...yes, they should've. BUT outside of 45 they hadn't used their Kicker (Badgley+Patterson) all season. Patterson did have one 52 yarder. So there was no real reason to think things were going to change there. They just don't trust him.
i mean, pay someone else then. getting to that stage with a kicker you don't trust is not exactly a ringing endorsement for who's managing that roster.
Packers were in the same situation. Though, I guess they played like they trusted theirs... when they shouldn't have.

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:05 am

Lumps wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:01 am
killer_of_giants wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:45 am
Packers were in the same situation. Though, I guess they played like they trusted theirs... when they shouldn't have.
putting trust where it's not deserved is more understandable than paying someone to not do his job though!

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:28 am

Pac_Eddy wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:20 am
killer_of_giants wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:29 am campbell got trapped in his own persona. he's one that goes for it, so he went for it.
maybe he learns from it, maybe he doubles down, but i really didn't think he'd do anything close to what he's done with this team. fair play to him.
You make it sound like he made bad decisions to go for it. I don't think he did. A couple times it didn't work. I think his process is fine.
The thought process was terrible. It was a terrible decision to go for it, both times. Same with the Dallas game when you got backed up to the 8. They didn't work, but it was bad thought process to begin with.

You take a high 80's or 90's percent chance to take a 3 score lead back, with 7 minutes left in the 3rd quarter, and deflate the crowd again, and make the 49ers score at least 3 times in the final 22 minutes.

You make the attempt to tie the game and get some foothold back after the bottom fell out after that first poor decision.

It was awful decision making.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Tvols
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Tvols » Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:46 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:28 am
killer_of_giants wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:29 am campbell got trapped in his own persona. he's one that goes for it, so he went for it.
maybe he learns from it, maybe he doubles down, but i really didn't think he'd do anything close to what he's done with this team. fair play to him.
You make it sound like he made bad decisions to go for it. I don't think he did. A couple times it didn't work. I think his process is fine.
The thought process was terrible. It was a terrible decision to go for it, both times. Same with the Dallas game when you got backed up to the 8. They didn't work, but it was bad thought process to begin with.

You take a high 80's or 90's percent chance to take a 3 score lead back, with 7 minutes left in the 3rd quarter, and deflate the crowd again, and make the 49ers score at least 3 times in the final 22 minutes.

You make the attempt to tie the game and get some foothold back after the bottom fell out after that first poor decision.

they make both they are leading this game, win IDK but i wouldve liked there chances.
16 teamer
QB T Law, R Wilson
rb- Mixon,pollard, J Hill, conner,
WR-Chase,Lamb,T Hill, R Bateman, C sutton, boyd
Te Kelce, Waller, Fant,Evertt,
1qb,2-3rb,3-5wr,1-2 TE
Full IDP

Team 2 recent rod 16 team SF/TEP(2pt PPR) 1-2 QB, 2-3 RB, 3-5 wrs and 1-2 TE full IDP.
QB A rod, M willis and H Hooker
rb not squat T Bigsby, Chris R, Z evans. J kelly, C patterson, and J mcluaghlin.
WRs chase, J Addison, T McLaurin, C ridgley , A Losivas, M hollins
TE Kelce, D Belligner, T Conklin

frerichs5
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby frerichs5 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:56 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:28 am

I agree with most of this, but the odds are way overstated. Badgley is sub 70% on his career for field goals over 40 yards.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:01 pm

Bronco Billy wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:37 am And to add to the sentiment, that Campbell “doesn’t regret the decision”. He ought to be regretting the hell out of it and at a minimum seriously revisiting and adjusting his thinking process. He ought to be losing sleep every night all offseason. His team was playing great on the way to the SB and he failed them. And that doesn’t even seem to enter his head.
Yeah, I agree. I think it's possible the Lions have peaked. This was their real shot at a SB. The division is getting tougher, they are likely losing their OC, and they stayed fairly healthy this year. You need things to go right sometimes, and while they do have a good young roster, there is no guarantee they can get back again.

He may not regret it, but Lions fans will likely be haunted by this game and his decisions for a long, long time.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:21 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:01 pm
Bronco Billy wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:37 am And to add to the sentiment, that Campbell “doesn’t regret the decision”. He ought to be regretting the hell out of it and at a minimum seriously revisiting and adjusting his thinking process. He ought to be losing sleep every night all offseason. His team was playing great on the way to the SB and he failed them. And that doesn’t even seem to enter his head.
Yeah, I agree. I think it's possible the Lions have peaked. This was their real shot at a SB. The division is getting tougher, they are likely losing their OC, and they stayed fairly healthy this year. You need things to go right sometimes, and while they do have a good young roster, there is no guarantee they can get back again.

He may not regret it, but Lions fans will likely be haunted by this game and his decisions for a long, long time.
I think the Gibbs fumble and the Aiyuk catch off the DBs facemask, and the dropped 4th down passes will haunt them more.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:09 pm

Pac_Eddy wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:21 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:01 pm

I think the Gibbs fumble and the Aiyuk catch off the DBs facemask, and the dropped 4th down passes will haunt them more.
Anyone blaming Dan Campbell for the 4th down try is reaching.

If it works people praise him for having the balls to make that call. If it doesn't people act like it was the worst decision of all time.

At the end of the day it was an aggressive play that just didn't work out. He's been doing this all year and that's a big part of what got this team here.

If you're divvying blame here these plays impacted the game much more than the 4th down conversion attempt :lol:

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:52 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:01 pm Yeah, I agree. I think it's possible the Lions have peaked. This was their real shot at a SB. The division is getting tougher, they are likely losing their OC, and they stayed fairly healthy this year. You need things to go right sometimes, and while they do have a good young roster, there is no guarantee they can get back again.

Dan Marino never made it back. And I think those of us watching the NFL back then thought for sure he would. Duper and Clayton were a great WR Duo! But there's a lot of truth in the bolded. Sometimes the chips just don't fall right a 2nd time.

We'll see though.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:58 pm

remedy29 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:31 pm The thought of firing Campbell is ridiculous though. He built this team better than any coach has built a team in a long long time.
This. He deserves the benefit of the doubt.

He fired Anthony Lynn from the OC role because he wasn't cutting it. He called plays himself for a few weeks, and then he turned it over to Ben Johnson because he identified him as a talent that could call the plays better.

Even if that was simple blind luck (but come on, no-one hires someone purely on luck when assembling a staff) he deserves to prove he can find another great OC again. He might be a legitimately good CEO-style HC. Without a doubt, he has proven it thus far and has taken the Lions from a literal laughing stock to the NFC Championship game.

Firing him now would send just about every wrong message imaginable imo. The players would rightfully mutiny.

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:15 pm

Sriracha wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:09 pm At the end of the day it was an aggressive play that just didn't work out. He's been doing this all year and that's a big part of what got this team here.
being aggressive at (mostly...) the right time is a big part of what got them there. being aggressive at the wrong time is a big part of what got them home.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:19 pm

killer_of_giants wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:15 pm
Sriracha wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:09 pm At the end of the day it was an aggressive play that just didn't work out. He's been doing this all year and that's a big part of what got this team here.
being aggressive at (mostly...) the right time is a big part of what got them there. being aggressive at the wrong time is a big part of what got them home.
Disagree, players not making plays that they were put in a great position to be in is what sent them home.

I can not understand how people can see the drops by Josh Reynold, the fumble by Gibbs and the 3 dropped INTs by this defense and attribute the majority of the blame to a 4th down decision THAT WAS THE HIGHER PERCENTAGE PLAY given their Kicker is 9/20 from 48 yards+ on the year and they've converted 4th and short at a higher clip throughout the year.

No offense intended but I find this completely ridiculous.

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:36 pm

errors were the other big part that got them home, yeah. one does not exclude the other: you can make less mistakes and get by a few bad decisions, or your decision making can be flawless and mask some mistakes. you make mistakes all around and it's hard to get to the super bowl, as ridiculous as it may seem. the fact that they could have won anyway with less errors doesn't make a bad call "less bad".

also, i can only see badgley kicking twice over 40 yards this season (both in). and 8 for 10 (2 for 3) between 40-49 (over 50) last season for detroit (per pfr).

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:55 pm

killer_of_giants wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:36 pm also, i can only see badgley kicking twice over 40 yards this season (both in). and 8 for 10 (2 for 3) between 40-49 (over 50) last season for detroit (per pfr).
Apologies, those are his career stats.