TheTroll
Legend
Legend

Re: Least Risky RBs?

Postby TheTroll » Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:29 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:19 am
TheTroll wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:24 am
FantasyFreak wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:11 am

It wasn't a surprise pick. It was the predictable pick. A ton of people expected the Falcons to take him at 8. It didn't surprise many people.

There isn't a RB close to him in this draft, either. One of the worst RB classes in recent memory. FA is the risk this year, not the draft.
FF let me clarify, yes there were rumors of Bijan getting selected by ATL, however Allgeier didn’t do anything wrong to effectively lose his role from his 2022 performance. The point is that the position is unpredictable and change happens faster there than anywhere else.

90% of my friends are ATL fans and they were pissed that ATL picked Bijan so early when they already had Allgeier.
Why were they pissed? ATL was getting (and has) a very dynamic asset that can completely change the way a D has to defend and can make the O so much more agile and deceptive. The biggest problem I saw in ATL was a severe mismatch between the vision of the GM and the philosophy/capability of the HC.

It was painfully clear early on that Smith had no clue how to utilize an asset like Bijan. He tried to run him between the tackles too much (Bijan’s biggest weakness) and didn’t get him the ball in space, especially in the intermediate level of the field (Bijan’s greatest strength) nearly enough. Even when Smith tried to run Bijan outside it was at high speed instead of stretch concepts, where Bijan was hitting the outside lane at speed instead of being able to wait for his seam and then running to daylight to use his open field skills into the second level.

On the other hand, Allgeier is the hammer that Smith loves, getting upfield as quickly as possible and not worrying about 2nd and 3rd level scheming much. And true to Smith’s nature (and assisting the opponent’s D scheming) even though Allgeier got a lot fewer snaps - fewer than half as many as Bijan - he got nearly as many carries despite being significantly less productive with his carries.

Smith had an offense in TEN that fit his limited mentality perfectly. Give Henry the ball 300+ times, slam him into the D, and let Henry and his extraordinary skills do the rest. Let Henry force the SS into the box and force the DBs to take a first look into the backfield which allowed the passing game to function. Allgeier is solid as a hammer but he ain’t Henry and Smith had no clue how to properly use the tools he was given in ATL.

Fontenot was pretty clearly drafting pieces that would make ATL very flexible and dynamic on O - which would be assisted by a QB who was limited as a passer but might be better in a more dynamic scheme - while Smith was extraordinarily limited in his imagination and scheming. Allgeier and Bijan should have complimented each other and allowed Smith to do a lot of variable things, including getting both guys on the field at the same time, and turning up the pressure on the D. That in turn would have made Ridder more effective and would have given him easier throws to make.

Drafting Bijan into that offense showed some great insight by Fontenot IMO. His problem was having such a mismatch of a HC running the show, and I’m guessing Blank had a lot of say in perpetuating that mismatch.
For sure… might have been their already displeasure to the offense in general. You can never be wrong with picking the top at a position however with already having a promising 1 year RB, they were looking elsewhere.
Team 1
Dynasty 10 team, 22 roster + 6 Taxi, PPR
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 Flex, 1 TE, K, Def

QB: Love, Goff, Fields
RB: Bijan, Montgomery, Kamara, Ford, K Herbert, Zeke, Mattison
WR: Jefferson, Olave, London, Ridley, Sutton, Shaheed
TE: Kincaid, Kittle, Freiermuth
K: Tucker, Sanders
DEF: CLE

Taxi: Charbs, K Mitchell, Demercado, QJ, D Douglas, W Robinson, Hooker

Picks
2024: 1.03, 3.06, 3.09, 4.09
2025: 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Team 2
Dynasty 10 team, 22 man roster + 6 Taxi, PPR, SF and TEP
1QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, 1 S Flex

QB: Allen, Goff, Watson, Jones
RB: K Williams, B Robinson, Chubb, Ford, Mostert, A Gibson, Dillon, Pierce, Zeke
WR: Olave, T Hill, Addison, D Adams, C Watson, D Johnson, G Davis, OBJ
TE: Kincaid, Kmet, Goedert

Taxi: Willis, DTR, Mims, K Miller, Demercado, Vaughn

Picks
2024: 1.08, 2.02
2025: 1, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:31 pm

BabyChark23 wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:23 am Barkley and Josh Jacobs seem pretty safe, if you can get them at a good price. They should be bell cows wherever they end up.
Agreed. No clue why they're not even on the list for the OP.

Either guy is a HOU landing spot away from an amazing value spike this offseason.

PigeonBoys
Role Player
Role Player

Postby PigeonBoys » Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:49 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:05 am Achane is a massive sell for me. Super risky. I don't see how the Dolphins don't add a RB to that roster. Tua is on a rookie deal. FA has a lot of good backs. I don't see him as safe at all. With how injury laden that RB room was, and Moster being in his 30's, I don't see how they don't add a quality back.
-But it's important to note that Miami is currently -$51MM against the cap and they don't have a ton of draft capital. All that to say I'm not sure RB is going to be a high priority for them this offseason considering they just had a 31 yr old RB run all over the league. I was looking at teams with low draft capital and cap issues, those situations tend to tell me they don't have a lot of room to improve. So no way they bring in an FA worth too much and worst case scenario Miami spends a 2nd rounder on an RB. IMO Miami spends a 5th rounder on an RB and brings in a vet or keeps Mostert. Either way Achane will be the most talented RB on that roster.
12 Team .5 PPR Dynasty Start 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1FLEX, 1TE, 1 DEF, 1K

2018: 2nd 🥈
2019: Champs :dance: 🏆
2020: 2nd 🥈
2021: 2nd 🥈
2022: 2nd 🥈
2023: Champs :dance: 🏆

QB: L. Jackson, D.Prescott, K. Cousins
RB: S. Barkley, A. Kamara, A. Jones, K. Miller, J. Ford, D. Singletary, J. Williams
WR: J. Jefferson, A.St. Brown, DK Metcalf, M. Brown, N. Collins, C. Kirk, J. Smith-Schuster, C. Tillman
TE: D. Waller, D. Njoku, D. Goedert

Draft picks:
2024 - 1.12, 2.12, 3.05, 4.12
2025 - 1st (Other Owner), 2nd, 4th
2026 - 1st, 2nd (Other Owner)

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:07 pm

mild wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:31 pm
BabyChark23 wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:23 am Barkley and Josh Jacobs seem pretty safe, if you can get them at a good price. They should be bell cows wherever they end up.

Either guy is a HOU landing spot away from an amazing value spike this offseason.
As I said in my original post, "not comprehensive". I just wanted to get the dialog going and see what folks had to say.

Guess we're having a reading comprehension problem again. :wink:

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:26 pm

tstafford wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:07 pm
mild wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:31 pm

As I said in my original post, "not comprehensive". I just wanted to get the dialog going and see what folks had to say.

Guess we're having a reading comprehension problem again. :wink:
Fair enough, if you don't think they're worth talking about then more power to you. :D