Kurt G.O.A.T.
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Divisional Round Thread

Postby Kurt G.O.A.T. » Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:26 pm

remedy29 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:33 pm
Paul717 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:47 am
frerichs5 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:56 pm

With how the Bucs literally just gave up….I could almost believe it. Lions screw up kneeing the ball. Didn’t let time run down on 2nd down. How they don’t call a timeout with 35 seconds left after the 3rd down kneel? Make them try a field goal…maybe they miss and you still have a chance. Who knows. Weird to not even try…
x2 !! Why isn't that ^ being talking about more? Was there an explanation provided after the game? Am I missing something super obvious here? (E.G. was the time on screen incorrect? Those numbers did seem to move around a lot...felt at time like this was their first time covering an NFL game, it was that amateur-ish). Etiquette or not...why not at least try?
Honestly, Bowles should be fired over it. Detroit screwed up just as bad by not taking the time down all the way, not sure if that was on Campbell or Goff. But 30+ seconds were left on the clock in a 1 score game and TB ate their timeout. At that point, if I were Todd Bowles, I would beg Detroit to attempt a FG, that their kicker in no way was prepared for. Tampa Bay had a decent chance, at least 20% of getting the ball down 1 score with 25 seconds to go near the 40 yard line. And if Detroit punted, maybe TB blocks it, bad snap, or get the ball at the 25 with 25 seconds down 1 score. Either way, plenty of time to complete a pass in play for chunk yardage and then have 1 or 2 attempts at a Hail Mary to the end zone.

Bowles explanation was even worse than his awful coaching. He said he would have had 12 seconds left, which is probably what his coaches told him was the amount of time he would have left if he took the timeout. Which, in by itself you take the time out to get the ball back with 12 seconds. But that is not what happened at all, Detroit, snapped the ball quickly, twice, which would have given TB the ball with around 30 seconds.

Awful coaching, inexcusable. Shows how clueless he is. He looks, talks and acts clueless, so it should not be a surprise. Not to mention Bowles coaching as if he had the leagues best defense, he was too conservative during that game.
I'm pretty sure there would have been an agreement that the bucs wouldn't use their timeout. Otherwise why would the Lions do what they did? I've seen them run out the clock before. They're not that incompetent.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:00 am

Kurt G.O.A.T. wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:26 pm

x2 !! Why isn't that ^ being talking about more? Was there an explanation provided after the game? Am I missing something super obvious here? (E.G. was the time on screen incorrect? Those numbers did seem to move around a lot...felt at time like this was their first time covering an NFL game, it was that amateur-ish). Etiquette or not...why not at least try?
Honestly, Bowles should be fired over it. Detroit screwed up just as bad by not taking the time down all the way, not sure if that was on Campbell or Goff. But 30+ seconds were left on the clock in a 1 score game and TB ate their timeout. At that point, if I were Todd Bowles, I would beg Detroit to attempt a FG, that their kicker in no way was prepared for. Tampa Bay had a decent chance, at least 20% of getting the ball down 1 score with 25 seconds to go near the 40 yard line. And if Detroit punted, maybe TB blocks it, bad snap, or get the ball at the 25 with 25 seconds down 1 score. Either way, plenty of time to complete a pass in play for chunk yardage and then have 1 or 2 attempts at a Hail Mary to the end zone.

Bowles explanation was even worse than his awful coaching. He said he would have had 12 seconds left, which is probably what his coaches told him was the amount of time he would have left if he took the timeout. Which, in by itself you take the time out to get the ball back with 12 seconds. But that is not what happened at all, Detroit, snapped the ball quickly, twice, which would have given TB the ball with around 30 seconds.

Awful coaching, inexcusable. Shows how clueless he is. He looks, talks and acts clueless, so it should not be a surprise. Not to mention Bowles coaching as if he had the leagues best defense, he was too conservative during that game.
I'm pretty sure there would have been an agreement that the bucs wouldn't use their timeout. Otherwise why would the Lions do what they did? I've seen them run out the clock before. They're not that incompetent.
No, there wasn't. The Lions were that incompetent, this time.

https://twitter.com/BradGalli/status/17 ... 6093970851

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootba ... he-obvious

Wasn't there a call overturned earlier and TB got a time out back? Possible both coaches forgot, and won't admit it, but the Bucs messed up. Had they missed the FG, of if they'd punted, they had time to at least try a few plays.

https://twitter.com/search?q=Bucs%20tim ... yped_query

Agreed that what he said was brutal, too. Shout out to Chris Long for the great reference/imitation.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

TheTroll
Legend
Legend

Postby TheTroll » Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:42 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:00 am

Wasn't there a call overturned earlier and TB got a time out back? Possible both coaches forgot, and won't admit it, but the Bucs messed up. Had they missed the FG, of if they'd punted, they had time to at least try a few plays.

Agreed that what he said was brutal, too. Shout out to Chris Long for the great reference/imitation.
Yeah we all see this “prolonging the enviable” but this is the last of the season. Pull all stops out and anything can happen. We usually see this timeout exhaustion in NCAA but in this case for the NFL playoffs, go to the very end. I live in Tampa and every game seemed do or die and I’d rather lose with the last possession than allowing the other team run out the clock.
Team 1
Dynasty 10 team, 22 roster + 6 Taxi, PPR
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 Flex, 1 TE, K, Def

QB: Love, Goff, Fields
RB: Bijan, Montgomery, Kamara, Ford, K Herbert, Zeke, Mattison
WR: Jefferson, Olave, London, Ridley, Sutton, Shaheed
TE: Kincaid, Kittle, Freiermuth
K: Tucker, Sanders
DEF: CLE

Taxi: Charbs, K Mitchell, Demercado, QJ, D Douglas, W Robinson, Hooker

Picks
2024: 1.03, 3.06, 3.09, 4.09
2025: 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Team 2
Dynasty 10 team, 22 man roster + 6 Taxi, PPR, SF and TEP
1QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, 1 S Flex

QB: Allen, Goff, Watson, Jones
RB: K Williams, B Robinson, Chubb, Ford, Mostert, A Gibson, Dillon, Pierce, Zeke
WR: Olave, T Hill, Addison, D Adams, C Watson, D Johnson, G Davis, OBJ
TE: Kincaid, Kmet, Goedert

Taxi: Willis, DTR, Mims, K Miller, Demercado, Vaughn

Picks
2024: 1.08, 2.02
2025: 1, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:34 am

TheTroll wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:42 am

Yeah we all see this “prolonging the enviable” but this is the last of the season. Pull all stops out and anything can happen. We usually see this timeout exhaustion in NCAA but in this case for the NFL playoffs, go to the very end. I live in Tampa and every game seemed do or die and I’d rather lose with the last possession than allowing the other team run out the clock.
Bad snap, blocked kick, missed kick. They had 30 seconds after any of that happened. You could even return a blocked kick for a TD.

The Lions messed up and he let them off the hook. It's one of the biggest coaching blunders in recent memory. Inexcusable.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Tvols
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Tvols » Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:42 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:34 am
TheTroll wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:42 am

Bad snap, blocked kick, missed kick. They had 30 seconds after any of that happened. You could even return a blocked kick for a TD.

The Lions messed up and he let them off the hook. It's one of the biggest coaching blunders in recent memory. Inexcusable.
not really a coaches blunder is running Dak down the middle and failing to get a throw into the endzone good grief lol.
16 teamer
QB T Law, R Wilson
rb- Mixon,pollard, J Hill, conner,
WR-Chase,Lamb,T Hill, R Bateman, C sutton, boyd
Te Kelce, Waller, Fant,Evertt,
1qb,2-3rb,3-5wr,1-2 TE
Full IDP

Team 2 recent rod 16 team SF/TEP(2pt PPR) 1-2 QB, 2-3 RB, 3-5 wrs and 1-2 TE full IDP.
QB A rod, M willis and H Hooker
rb not squat T Bigsby, Chris R, Z evans. J kelly, C patterson, and J mcluaghlin.
WRs chase, J Addison, T McLaurin, C ridgley , A Losivas, M hollins
TE Kelce, D Belligner, T Conklin

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:06 am

Awful coaching, inexcusable. Shows how clueless he is. He looks, talks and acts clueless, so it should not be a surprise. Not to mention Bowles coaching as if he had the leagues best defense, he wa
There were 99 seconds when Detroit took possession of the ball. TB had 1 timeout and there are 2 40 second play clocks that would have run down. Detroit could not run out the clock, so TB had a chance to possess the ball.

For some unknown reason, Detroit did not run the clock down 40 seconds in between snaps.

If he made an agreement to end the game, regardless of how much time would have been on the clock, that is beyond pitiful.

Paul717
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Paul717 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:36 am

OMG, I think you nailed it. TB called a timeout but there was a penalty or something which negated the need for a timeout. The ref gave it back and did make the announcement. (The TV broadcast also noticed it correctly, at least the captains / pictures). I wonder if Detroit didn't wait out the full play clock thinking there were no timeouts left, which would've obviously changed the math on when they needed to snap the ball each time. Perhaps Goff was thinking they simply needed to get to 3rd down with under 40 left, and game over.

So that could possibly explain DET's behavior. Still VERY fuzzy on why TB did what they did. I remember being VERY confused about it in real time, then was probably distracted by my son or one of my dogs, lol. Just...wow.

Am I beating a dead horse here though? Like, have the ESPNs and the Bill Barnwells and everyone just moved on already? Or is this still a topic of discussion on some media? For me, on a weekend with some pretty good football; this is the one thing I just can't wrap my head around.
"Marathon Square" - 16 team full PPR league with 24 player roster. Keep 16 per year indefinitely, draft 8. Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 Team DST
QB: Jordan Love, Deshaun Watson
RB: Travis Etienne, Aaron Jones, Jamaal Williams, Kendre Miller, Jaleel McLaughlin, Sean Tucker, Deuce Vaughn
WR: A.J. Brown, Garrett Wilson, Tee Higgins, Calvin Ridley, Michael Wilson, Kendrick Bourne, Tutu Atwell, Allen Lazard, Isaiah Hodgins, Justin Shorter
TE: T.J. Hockenson, Cole Kmet, Kylen Granson
K: Didn't make the playoffs in 2023 :cry: , and don't usually hold one in the offseason
Team DST: Cowboys, Lions

Picks:
2024: 1.06, 2.06, 4.06, 5.06, 6.06, 7.06, 8.06

Disclaimer: My one and only Championship in this league was way back in 2011. Therefore, take my replies with the appropriate grain of salt. :lol:

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:39 am

Paul717 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:36 am Am I beating a dead horse here though? Like, have the ESPNs and the Bill Barnwells and everyone just moved on already? Or is this still a topic of discussion on some media? For me, on a weekend with some pretty good football; this is the one thing I just can't wrap my head around.
Yes, the script says 49ers vs Ravens so this game didn't matter anyways.

Paul717
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Paul717 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:44 am

Jigga94 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:39 am
Paul717 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:36 am Am I beating a dead horse here though? Like, have the ESPNs and the Bill Barnwells and everyone just moved on already? Or is this still a topic of discussion on some media? For me, on a weekend with some pretty good football; this is the one thing I just can't wrap my head around.
Yes, the script says 49ers vs Ravens so this game didn't matter anyways.
:lol:

Lions vs. Bills would've been a better script to me. Those fanbases deserve a Super Bowl.

Although, now, I'm personally rooting for Lamar and the Ravens. He has a chance to silence a lot of doubters for sure.

Edit: Can't wait for Sunday! Everyone get all your stuff done on Saturday because it is going to be awesome.
"Marathon Square" - 16 team full PPR league with 24 player roster. Keep 16 per year indefinitely, draft 8. Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 Team DST
QB: Jordan Love, Deshaun Watson
RB: Travis Etienne, Aaron Jones, Jamaal Williams, Kendre Miller, Jaleel McLaughlin, Sean Tucker, Deuce Vaughn
WR: A.J. Brown, Garrett Wilson, Tee Higgins, Calvin Ridley, Michael Wilson, Kendrick Bourne, Tutu Atwell, Allen Lazard, Isaiah Hodgins, Justin Shorter
TE: T.J. Hockenson, Cole Kmet, Kylen Granson
K: Didn't make the playoffs in 2023 :cry: , and don't usually hold one in the offseason
Team DST: Cowboys, Lions

Picks:
2024: 1.06, 2.06, 4.06, 5.06, 6.06, 7.06, 8.06

Disclaimer: My one and only Championship in this league was way back in 2011. Therefore, take my replies with the appropriate grain of salt. :lol: