What is an MVP?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

What is an MVP?

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:08 pm

As I said, Jordan Love deserves to be in the conversation. Best QB the back half of the season, but that doesn't matter apparently. So, I've heard arguments that a turnover machine deserves it over him because he won a division when there are 2 teams that were never in contention form week 1 on.

Lamar has played well, and won a division, but let's point out 2 starting QB's, who were both thought to be good by most, elite by some, relatively early in the year. That left a team with Kenny Pickett at QB. Who also got hurt, dropping to Trubisky, and ultimately their QB 3.

Cousins got hurt, I understand that.

What is an MVP though? It seems to have been reduced to statistics, and a guy on a good team, that wins a division, at the least, and almost always a QB. Maybe it's time this award just be name an Madden cover Contest?

I just find it interesting that this award exists in the parameters it does, but it seems to be solely based on marketing, at this point, and thus, kind of meaningless, beyond helping a QB get a better contract.

What about CMC, what about defenders like Aaron Donald a few years ago? MVP is a sham, we all know it, but why is it still called that?

For the rubes? Why not rename it, or do they just not care, and we don't either, we know it's a BS title at this point?
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Re: What is an MVP?

Postby Anteaters » Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:07 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:08 pmWhat is an MVP?
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, MWilliams, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:20 am

Anteaters wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:07 am
This is silly. :lol:

3600 passing yards, yards and 24 TD passes. Less than 30 total TD's. When is the last time an MVP had that low a bar? So, what you're saying is, a poplularity contest?

It's clearly not Stats THIS year, though it has been for year past. So what makes him MVP, with an elite D?

Honest question.
Last edited by FantasyFreak on Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:37 am

The MVP hasn't meant "Most Valuable Player" for a while now. It's devolved into an award for the QB of the best team, putting up solid stats that hasn't played any awful games close to voting day.

Lamar wins by default after Purdy's 4 INT game vs BAL and Dak choking vs the Bills. If Dak has a solid game vs BUF he's likely the MVP -- would he have deserved it? After tonight's performance I think that answer is clear.

By the literal meaning of the award there is a strong case that the three most deserving QBs were Josh Allen, Stroud and Love -- two of which were a massive part of huge upsets this wild card weekend in part because their play as first year starters is still being overlooked by the NFL.

Does it make it a better award if it goes to one of those 3 instead of Lamar? No idea, but I don't think these Awards really matter much unless you're having a truly historic season.

Given the parameters in play Lamar is the least of the evils, imo.

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:50 am

Sriracha wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:37 amGiven the parameters in play Lamar is the least of the evils, imo.
So you're saying you agree Lamar is the MVP this season? :thumbup:
TEAM 1:
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon

TEAM 2:
2023 semifinals loser

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:00 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:20 am
Anteaters wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:07 am
This is silly. :lol:

3600 passing yards, yards and 24 TD passes. Less than 30 total TD's. When is the last time an MVP had that low a bar? So, what you're saying is, a poplularity contest?

It's clearly not Stats THIS year, though it has been for year past. So what makes him MVP, with an elite D?

Honest question.
My personal opinion is the MVP is the player most responsible for a top team's winning record over the course of the entire season. To clarify, not necessarily the team with the best overall record, but one of the top division winners. Unless a player has truly historical stats for a season, I don't think the MVP should be based solely on individual stats. There are so many variables and nuances that make a player a great force that helps his team win. Yardage and TD Stats are only one variable.

CMC and Hill had great seasons, but when it really counted neither could do what it took to help their teams win their team's most important games of the year. Meanwhile, with every team's defense fully aware of Jackson and totally calibrated to attack him, Jackson produced win after win, all while taking supreme care of the ball.

While it was a more difficult decision with five weeks to go, over the last few weeks Jackson continued to shine and grind, and the other candidates failed to lead their teams to the biggest wins as MVP candidates must do to ultimately deserve the MVP award.

IMO, Jackson was the player most responsible for helping his team win, while also being responsible for the least amount of plays that were counterproductive.
TEAM 1:

TEAM 2:
2023 semifinals loser

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:33 am

"best qb to win a division" doesn't have the same ring to it. think about it: BQWD? BDWQ? nah, don't think so.

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:40 am

I consider MVP to the the player most key to winning a LOT of games. I think Lamar is the answer this year. Yeah, he doesn't have the stats that others might, but the Ravens regular season domination is a factor for me. I could also see Christian McCaffrey, but I know the people who do the actual voting prefer a QB.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:45 am

These awards have never been much more than popularity contests for QBs. I'll worry more about it when my players get fantasy points for MVP votes.

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:15 am

It ain’t Jackson, that’s definite IMO. The 21st ranked passing O supported by the top rushing offense and one of the best Ds, arguably the best D, is NOT the resume of the most valuable player in the league. Jackson was a leader and a main cog, but the most valuable player in the league given that kind of support? No way, no how. If they would have gone undefeated with that team then maybe he’d be in the conversation.

If Stroud, Love and McCaffrey aren’t in serious contention for the award this year then it’s pretty much meaningless, but it’s voted for by sports writers so it would be no surprise that they wouldn't be.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:24 am

Lamar isn't Quaterbacky enough to win MVP

frerichs5
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby frerichs5 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:19 am

Jigga94 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:24 am Lamar isn't Quaterbacky enough to win MVP
Right. Jackson being supported by the top running offense in the league is quite the argument. Like he wasn’t the team’s rushing leader that got them there. Lol.

I have no problems arguing for any of the guys mentioned here.

Jackson - 4,499 yards, 29 TDs, 9 turnovers, 13-4
Love - 4,406/36/13 9-8
Stroud - 4,275/26/6 10-7
Prescott - 4,758/38/10 12-5

They are all within a reasonable range of each other in my opinion. McCaffrey too, just left him out as I’m sure most agree he won’t get it because of position.

All you could make an argument for. But eliminating one simply because he ran too much (which in turn kept his passing numbers down)…..is something.
Last edited by frerichs5 on Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tvols
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tvols » Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:43 am

Like everything else in the NFL now its water down Lamar will win by default not like he has fully earned it but the rest of NFL have basically been average at best, he just on the team with the best DEf and has turned the ball over less , Welcome to the new WWF!!
16 teamer
QB T Law, R Wilson
rb- Mixon,pollard, J Hill, conner,
WR-Chase,Lamb,T Hill, R Bateman, C sutton, boyd
Te Kelce, Waller, Fant,Evertt,
1qb,2-3rb,3-5wr,1-2 TE
Full IDP

Team 2 recent rod 16 team SF/TEP(2pt PPR) 1-2 QB, 2-3 RB, 3-5 wrs and 1-2 TE full IDP.
QB A rod, M willis and H Hooker
rb not squat T Bigsby, Chris R, Z evans. J kelly, C patterson, and J mcluaghlin.
WRs chase, J Addison, T McLaurin, C ridgley , A Losivas, M hollins
TE Kelce, D Belligner, T Conklin

Tvols
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tvols » Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:56 am

Shroud should be really considered for the MVP he may have been the most consist QB all year and meant the most to his team.
16 teamer
QB T Law, R Wilson
rb- Mixon,pollard, J Hill, conner,
WR-Chase,Lamb,T Hill, R Bateman, C sutton, boyd
Te Kelce, Waller, Fant,Evertt,
1qb,2-3rb,3-5wr,1-2 TE
Full IDP

Team 2 recent rod 16 team SF/TEP(2pt PPR) 1-2 QB, 2-3 RB, 3-5 wrs and 1-2 TE full IDP.
QB A rod, M willis and H Hooker
rb not squat T Bigsby, Chris R, Z evans. J kelly, C patterson, and J mcluaghlin.
WRs chase, J Addison, T McLaurin, C ridgley , A Losivas, M hollins
TE Kelce, D Belligner, T Conklin

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:09 am

It’s supposed to go to the player who had the most outstanding season. But people have gotten caught up in the semantics of the word “valuable”. Back when the award was created, that really could have been any position. But in today’s passing league, in theory it could only go to a qb if you get caught up in the semantics. People need to stop being idiots and go with the original intent of the award, not the weird convoluted meaning we’ve morphed it into today.