Bench Starters? (Already in playoffs)

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.

What do I do?

Bench your starters, knocking the powerhouse opponent out of playoff hunt and secure 1.05/1.06
30%
Play your studs
70%

Total votes: 33

Dr.Graffin
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Bench Starters? (Already in playoffs)

Postby Dr.Graffin » Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:03 pm

If it's not in the rules, or implied in the rules, I guess you could consider it, but I would not.

In my leagues, it is known you always start your best lineup. Doing stuff like this at worst borders on conclusion, and at best simply poisons your league. It's no different than trading away a player for much less than market value to one owner (ex. AJB for a 3rd) to spite the league, or to spite certain owners in the league who your trade partner may be playing. You can always fall back on the "it's my team. I can do what I want...but, it's not in the rules...", but if I'm commissioner, I can also do what I want, and I'd kick you out at the end of the year. Personally I don't need people like this in the league under any circumstances.

So in short, play your best team/lineup and don't openly tank a week to get a better draft pick. In the end, I don't think it will be worth it.
12 Team Non-PPR, 6pt TDs-22' R/U, 23' R/U
1QB, 2RBs, 2WRs, 1TE, 2Flex (W/R/T), 1K, 1DST
QB: P. Mahomes, R. Tannehill
RB: D. Achane, D. Henry, J. Mixon, A. Ekeler, M. Sanders
WR: T. Hill, D. Smith, D. J. Moore, D. Samuel, T. Higgins, D. Hopkins, O. Beckham, D. Wicks, J. Metchie
TE: T. Kelce, C. Kmet, H. Henry, M. Gesicki
K: J. Tucker
D/ST: Baltimore, Jacksonville
2024 Picks: 4.9

12 Team .5 PPR, 6pt TDs
1QB, 2RBs, 2WRs, 1TE, 3Flex (W/R/T), 1K, 1DST
QB: J. Love, J. Herbert
RB: S. Barkley, J. Cook, I. Pacheco, Br. Robinson, D. Singletary, D. Pierce
WR: D. J. Moore, J. Waddle, Z. Flowers, T. Higgins, C. Watson, J. Downs, J. Dotson, R. Shaheed
TE: T. McBride, H. Henry, M. Gesicki, C. Okonkwo, J. Woods
K: T. Bass
D/ST: Jacksonville, Indianapolis
2024 Picks: 2.7, 3.2, 4.11

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:12 pm

That you’re posting here looking for people to bless this move shows that you know this is wrong, but it sounds like you’re going to do it anyhow. Remember this when someone screws you in the future.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:36 pm

gogobradyarm wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:44 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:35 pm
gogobradyarm wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:29 pm

Lmao! I love it! I’d love your actual opinion too tbh.
I think you need to give your bylaws a really good read. Is this the team in Sig?
Yes team in sig. We are a league that’s been around 8 years and have no by laws established. I’ve asked for them numerous times.
A 9 year old league full of buddies, do you want to go there? Perhaps talking with your commish, about what you are contemplating, and point out why you need rules on this, is an idea. Someone else may do this in future, but do you want to be the one to do it? Or could you point out that if he doesn't set something concrete, that this will eventually happen. It's all down to how you feel about it, and the pros and cons. League stability/fun/enjoyment.

If you are friends, this could really ruin friendships. I've seen it happen, in a home league.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

gogobradyarm
All Pro
All Pro

Postby gogobradyarm » Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:58 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:36 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:35 pm

I think you need to give your bylaws a really good read. Is this the team in Sig?
Yes team in sig. We are a league that’s been around 8 years and have no by laws established. I’ve asked for them numerous times.
A 9 year old league full of buddies, do you want to go there? Perhaps talking with your commish, about what you are contemplating, and point out why you need rules on this, is an idea. Someone else may do this in future, but do you want to be the one to do it? Or could you point out that if he doesn't set something concrete, that this will eventually happen. It's all down to how you feel about it, and the pros and cons. League stability/fun/enjoyment.

If you are friends, this could really ruin friendships. I've seen it happen, in a home league.
Like I mentioned previously, the potentially impacted league member made a post during week 7 saying "Gogobradyarm doesn't have a QB for week 10. Make him pay out the bleep for a QB. This is a PSA". Now the tables have turned and I control their playoff spot. Is not all fair in love and war?
12 Team - PPR - 30man (2 IR) - 6pt PPTD- 1 QB - 2 RB - 2 WR - 1 Flex - 1 TE
QB: Jalen Hurts, Dak Prescott, Anthony Richardson, Aidan O'Connell
RB: McCaffrey, Jacobs, Barkley, Zamir White, Jaleel McLaughlin, Dowdle, Zach Evans, Dobbins
WR: AJB, London, Aiyuk, Diontae Johnson, Rashee Rice, Ridley, McLaurin, Dotson, Rashod Bateman
TE: Mandrews, Pitts, Likely, Otton

2024: 1.01, 1.07
2025: 3x 1st
Champ: 2020, 2021
Year 9 of my league

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:06 pm

gogobradyarm wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:58 pm Like I mentioned previously, the potentially impacted league member made a post during week 7 saying "Gogobradyarm doesn't have a QB for week 10. Make him pay out the bleep for a QB. This is a PSA". Now the tables have turned and I control their playoff spot. Is not all fair in love and war?
Sounds like you're pretty set on doing this. And I do love a payback story, and watching the world burn - so no chance I'm talking you out of it.

I think - seeing as you're gauging us for advice / our reactions on this - that you should just be up front about your intentions with the league, and gauge the opinions that actually matter: the guys you're sharing a league with for the next ___ years.

Set the lineup, and announce to the league chat what's happening this week.

That way, if the Commish decides it's actually going to be a thing, and that there should be bylaws (that you've frequently asked for, as you said) then you can get a head start on litigating it.

It'll cause problems for years in all likelihood. But what is Dynasty if not a years long exercise in frenemies and rivals?

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:08 pm

gogobradyarm wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:58 pm

Like I mentioned previously, the potentially impacted league member made a post during week 7 saying "Gogobradyarm doesn't have a QB for week 10. Make him pay out the bleep for a QB. This is a PSA". Now the tables have turned and I control their playoff spot. Is not all fair in love and war?
With the context and assumption that this is all in good fun and fantasy football... and this guy in particular is posting that, well then fk this guy. Bench those starters, it is in a roundabout way better for your team in draft picks AND playoffs. But there will be retaliation, so it's up to your judgement on whether you think that will ruin the league or friendships.

F U Lineup
QB: Anthony Richardson
RB: Zamir White, Zach Evans, Dobbins
WR: Rashod Bateman, Elijah Moore, Jameson Williams
TE: MANdrews

But this is why most leagues have bylaws about starting competitive/reasonable lineups. There's really no reason you should ever bench Hurts/Dak for an IR QB, nor CMC, AKB, Jacobs, etc.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:08 pm

mild wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:06 pm
gogobradyarm wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:58 pm Like I mentioned previously, the potentially impacted league member made a post during week 7 saying "Gogobradyarm doesn't have a QB for week 10. Make him pay out the bleep for a QB. This is a PSA". Now the tables have turned and I control their playoff spot. Is not all fair in love and war?
Sounds like you're pretty set on doing this. And I do love a payback story, and watching the world burn - so no chance I'm talking you out of it.

I think - seeing as you're gauging us for advice / our reactions on this - that you should just be up front about your intentions with the league, and gauge the opinions that actually matter: the guys you're sharing a league with for the next ___ years.

That way, if the Commish decides it's actually going to be a thing, and that there should be bylaws (that you've frequently asked for, as you said) then you can get a head start on litigating it.

It'll cause problems for years in all likelihood. But what is Dynasty if not a years long exercise in frenemies and rivals?
Love this post

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:10 pm

Last thing, if this somehow went down in a league I was in where the bylaws allowed this, I'd absolutely get a kick out of it as any owner. Rebuilding, contending, as long as its anyone besides the guy you are screwing lol

gogobradyarm
All Pro
All Pro

Postby gogobradyarm » Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:20 pm

mild wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:06 pm

I'm happy you said that, because that was the first thing I did this morning was tell the commissioner that I was planning to do this and why. I also told most of the league in direct messages and they all said they understood, felt it was a bit shady, but didn't have an issue with it.

Now, there are about 5 teams competing for the last two wild card spots (all within 0-1 game of each other). The commissioner is one of those teams and he said my viewpoints/reasoning are valid but he would be mad that he would potentially lose one of the wildcard spots. This is because the team that beats me, gets in and that leaves 1 spot for the remaining 4 teams competing. So they all get why I would do this, and nobody seems to think it's a league breaker.
RB: McCaffrey, Jacobs, Barkley, Zamir White, Jaleel McLaughlin, Dowdle, Zach Evans, Dobbins
WR: AJB, London, Aiyuk, Diontae Johnson, Rashee Rice, Ridley, McLaurin, Dotson, Rashod Bateman

Year 9 of my league

gogobradyarm
All Pro
All Pro

Postby gogobradyarm » Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:23 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:08 pm

With the context and assumption that this is all in good fun and fantasy football... and this guy in particular is posting that, well then fk this guy. Bench those starters, it is in a roundabout way better for your team in draft picks AND playoffs. But there will be retaliation, so it's up to your judgement on whether you think that will ruin the league or friendships.

F U Lineup
QB: Anthony Richardson
RB: Zamir White, Zach Evans, Dobbins
WR: Rashod Bateman, Elijah Moore, Jameson Williams
TE: MANdrews

But this is why most leagues have bylaws about starting competitive/reasonable lineups. There's really no reason you should ever bench Hurts/Dak for an IR QB, nor CMC, AKB, Jacobs, etc.
Haha that is honestly what I'm saying. This dude openly colluded (or near it) to drive up the price of a QB, that I had to pay. This isn't the first time this owner has done this.

As far as QB, I have Aidan O'Connell and need to update my signature, but maybe i'll go this lineup with a big middle finger up.

QB: Aidan O'Connell
RB: Zamir White, Zach Evans
WR: Bateman, Jameson Williams
TE: Gesicki, Pitts

Year 9 of my league

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:50 am

Do it.

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:34 am

I’m genuinely sorry that you’re taking this path. It may seem like good fun to you right now, but it’s reasonable to see this escalating into a game of one-ups-manship that is eventually going to anger one or more owners and potentially end up sinking the league.

I hope I’m overreacting and that everything ends well. But this kind of stuff can end up leading to hard feelings and even ended friendships over something that is supposed to be a fun game for everyone.

In any case, good luck carrying out your plan and in the future for the league.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:48 am

Hmm, I say screw that guy then. The only thing is does benching your starters affect anyone else negatively

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:24 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:34 am I’m genuinely sorry that you’re taking this path. It may seem like good fun to you right now, but it’s reasonable to see this escalating into a game of one-ups-manship that is eventually going to anger one or more owners and potentially end up sinking the league.

I hope I’m overreacting and that everything ends well. But this kind of stuff can end up leading to hard feelings and even ended friendships over something that is supposed to be a fun game for everyone.

In any case, good luck carrying out your plan and in the future for the league.
Valid points -

Maybe just casting a half-arsed lineup will appease the masses? Just state you're resting them to avoid injuries.

81-
Captain
Captain

Postby 81- » Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:26 am

so our 12th team is playing a team with playoff implications... my bye week secured team is playing the 11th rated team. a win by team 12 and a loss by team 11 would hand the 1.01 to team 11. should i rest my starters against team 11 which would give team 12 the 1.01 regardless of their outcome? also, team 12 is my significant other.
12 Team, 1QB, 3WR, 2RB, 1TE, 1Flex, D, K, 10 Bench
1PPR, 0.5 point per carry.
Burrow, Richardson
AJ Brown, DJMoore, G Wilson, T Higgens, Sutton, Tillman, Melton
King Henry, Bijan, Pacheco, Mixon, Ford, JK
Hockenson, Musgrave
Random Kicker
Niners

Picks in 2024 - #15, #22, #23, #27