Keaton Mitchell: Maybe Something Here?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Keaton Mitchell: Maybe Something Here?

Postby StripesOfKC » Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:58 am

Considering how many bum RBs dynasty players have hyped up over the years I'm surprised not to see a thread on him but I'm making a case

Produced for 3 years at East Carolina (and REALLY produced 2/3 years) and declared early which is rare for lottery ticket RBs---7.2 YPC his junior year so not just volume stats as well as 250+ receiving yards both of his last two years

4.37 40 which on its own is excellent but not necessarily an indicator of being all that good---it IS however elite speed which is the one avenue towards production at his admittedly small size

95.2 PFF grade last week---Yeah you read that right, with 9.18 yards created per touch and a 36.2% juke rate according to Player Profiler while PFF gives him 8 broken tackles...on just 9 touches

Obviously the sample size is small but if someone is looking to "sell high" for a third or some capped WR3 you'll never really be starting barring injury I think it is worth a gamble

No way Baltimore goes into next year with Dobbins at RB1. It probably won't be Mitchell either but this team is smart and Mitchell is cheap at a position that doesn't matter a lot. Having a role is very possible

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Re: Keaton Mitchell: Maybe Something Here?

Postby Anteaters » Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:06 am

I could see Keaton in a timeshare with Gus, and Hill being demoted. Gus is clearly better than Hill at most aspects of being a RB, and Keaton is (or at least looks to be) better than Hill at the other aspects of being a RB. I could see this being a Mostert/Achane RBBC that delivers decent production for each.

Of course, Lamar is a much better runner than Tua, so he'll suck some of the juice from that RBBC. But there'll be enough left over.

Gus isn't as explosive as Mostert, but I could see the Ravens rolling with him in this role for 2024 if Keaton can be the flash to Gus's rumbling. Gus isn't so old or expensive to be a worry on those fronts.

I'd love to have a share of Keaton.

Curious to see how his value shakes out in comparison to other RBs I'd say are in similar situations: Charbs, Warren, McKinnon, Kendre. Well, not really McKinnon because he's aging out. But in general, lighter RBs who probably won't ever regularly command 20+ touches but can deliver good production on limited touches. Of course the dream is to produce like Achane. But what's the more likely result and valuation?
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, MWilliams, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:30 am

Anteaters wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:06 am Curious to see how his value shakes out in comparison to other RBs I'd say are in similar situations: Charbs, Warren, McKinnon, Kendre. Well, not really McKinnon because he's aging out. But in general, lighter RBs who probably won't ever regularly command 20+ touches but can deliver good production on limited touches. Of course the dream is to produce like Achane. But what's the more likely result and valuation?
I have him on my main salary cap team and I'm glad I grabbed him off the WW while he was on IR.

He's going to need to have several good games in a row to get anywhere near the value of the guys you mention. Managers aren't going to pay for him given his low draft capital until he's a proven commodity. Unlike Charb who continues to hold strong value notwithstanding his relative lack of production. It's too bad BAL is playing CLE this week - strong run d should limit the upside.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:57 am

He's got the juice, looks better than Hill and Gus is the goal line back.

I worry he's too small to carry the ball a lot, but I can see a small path where he is at least the 1B moving forward, even into next year.

BabyChark23
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby BabyChark23 » Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:59 am

StripesOfKC wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:58 am Considering how many bum RBs dynasty players have hyped up over the years I'm surprised not to see a thread on him but I'm making a case

Produced for 3 years at East Carolina (and REALLY produced 2/3 years) and declared early which is rare for lottery ticket RBs---7.2 YPC his junior year so not just volume stats as well as 250+ receiving yards both of his last two years

4.37 40 which on its own is excellent but not necessarily an indicator of being all that good---it IS however elite speed which is the one avenue towards production at his admittedly small size

95.2 PFF grade last week---Yeah you read that right, with 9.18 yards created per touch and a 36.2% juke rate according to Player Profiler while PFF gives him 8 broken tackles...on just 9 touches

Obviously the sample size is small but if someone is looking to "sell high" for a third or some capped WR3 you'll never really be starting barring injury I think it is worth a gamble

No way Baltimore goes into next year with Dobbins at RB1. It probably won't be Mitchell either but this team is smart and Mitchell is cheap at a position that doesn't matter a lot. Having a role is very possible
One other thing on his resume: his 10 yard split. At 1.48s, he had the fastest 10 yard split in this draft. Not only is he fast, but he can get to top speed VERY quickly. The fastest 10 yard split in combine history was DK Metcalf at 1.45s.

Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Prison_Mike » Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:22 am

Jigga94 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:57 am He's got the juice, looks better than Hill and Gus is the goal line back.

I worry he's too small to carry the ball a lot, but I can see a small path where he is at least the 1B moving forward, even into next year.
I didn't pay a lot of attention to Mitchell in the draft process tbh, and I was surprised to see how small he was when I looked it up this morning. (5'8" 179lbs, 27.2 BMI - 6th percentile)

I didn't think he looked that small on the field

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:41 am

He went for big blind bid money in my leagues. I think it's late enough in the season to start burning that cash.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Thu Nov 09, 2023 7:08 am

Prison_Mike wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:22 am
Jigga94 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:57 am He's got the juice, looks better than Hill and Gus is the goal line back.

I didn't pay a lot of attention to Mitchell in the draft process tbh, and I was surprised to see how small he was when I looked it up this morning. (5'8" 179lbs, 27.2 BMI - 6th percentile)

I didn't think he looked that small on the field
I knew he was that small, but also thought he looked bigger than listed. My guess is he's probably around 190. Anyways, I'd like to see him against a better defense, which we get this week. He was really gashing Seattle but some of those defenders looked slow and just throwing arm tackles at him. Not trying to take anything away from him, he looked amazing. If Gibbs did that, his value would skyrocket

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:41 am

BabyChark23 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:59 am

One other thing on his resume: his 10 yard split. At 1.48s, he had the fastest 10 yard split in this draft. Not only is he fast, but he can get to top speed VERY quickly. The fastest 10 yard split in combine history was DK Metcalf at 1.45s.
Trey Sermon would like a word

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:11 am

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:41 am
BabyChark23 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:59 am

Trey Sermon would like a word
How did I know I'd see you here :D

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:12 am

Pac_Eddy wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:41 am He went for big blind bid money in my leagues. I think it's late enough in the season to start burning that cash.
Yeah I'd bet that in most (active) leagues he went for close to 100% of the league budgets.

kmbryant09
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby kmbryant09 » Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:19 pm

dynastyninja wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:12 am
Pac_Eddy wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:41 am He went for big blind bid money in my leagues. I think it's late enough in the season to start burning that cash.
Yeah I'd bet that in most (active) leagues he went for close to 100% of the league budgets.
Funny story about this, I had been keeping my eye on Mitchell since the pre-season, I picked him up week 4ish for free. Realized that he was still on IR and we have rules that prevent us from picking up IR players, but Sleeper doesn't police it. I realized the error (even though our language is vague), and did the right thing and reversed the transaction - then worried that I alerted the rest of the league about him as my leaguemates see me as the most knowledgeable/savvy owner and I have a history of landing many of the "out-of-knowhere" RB's (owned P. Lindsay, J. Robinson, M. Gaskin, J. McGlaughlin, and probably others over the years).

Thought for sure someone would out-bid me once Mitchell was finally off IR and available, but I got him for $4 (my remaining budget) luckily.
10-team/.5 PPR/5 Pts per Passing TD. Start 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLEX (rb/wr/te)
QB: J. Hurts, K. Murray
RB: Bi. Robinson, D. Henry, D. Achane, , J. Cook, Z. Charbonnet, T. Chandler, R. Johnson, K. Mitchell, J.K. Dobbins, T. Allgeier, J. McLaughlin, S. Tucker, T. Bigsby
WR: G. Wilson, B. Aiyuk, J. Waddle, T. Higgins,, Z. Flowers, Di. Johnson, K. Toney, A. Iosivas
TE: K. Pitts, E. Engram, C. Okonkwo, G. Dulcich

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:34 pm

kmbryant09 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:19 pm
Funny story about this, I had been keeping my eye on Mitchell since the pre-season, I picked him up week 4ish for free. Realized that he was still on IR and we have rules that prevent us from picking up IR players, but Sleeper doesn't police it. I realized the error (even though our language is vague), and did the right thing and reversed the transaction - then worried that I alerted the rest of the league about him as my leaguemates see me as the most knowledgeable/savvy owner and I have a history of landing many of the "out-of-knowhere" RB's (owned P. Lindsay, J. Robinson, M. Gaskin, J. McGlaughlin, and probably others over the years).

Thought for sure someone would out-bid me once Mitchell was finally off IR and available, but I got him for $4 (my remaining budget) luckily.
Nice job to get him back. Reminds me of a time where I had to maneuver a player on/off and back on my roster again. Thought by adding and having to drop, my leaguemates would take advantage. But I was able to get them back again and they ended up having a solid rookie year.

However, that was Preston Williams. Funny how we overthink these minor transactions that often become nothing

NeverEndingRebuild
Rookie
Rookie

Postby NeverEndingRebuild » Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:02 pm

kmbryant09 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:19 pm

I was going to comment that my expectation for him was exactly being just like the players on your list.

I got him for free when he was a couple weeks away from coming back. At this point I'm happy with just getting some points on the board this year. Anything more than that is gravy. If I get any offers for him during the offseason, I selling him, like I did with Gaskin (got a 2nd for him after his first handful of good games in MIA)

BabyChark23
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby BabyChark23 » Sun Nov 12, 2023 2:55 pm

Looked good again against an elite run defense, albeit on only a few touches.