Bryce Young

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Bryce Young

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Oct 01, 2023 2:49 pm

Don't see a thread here either. Here's one. Concern is through the roof. He was thought to be a quick processor, and looks anything but. He's getting smashed around, is so small, misses throws due to his size, and the hits are really concerning for his health. Again, with the Fields situation, it can be 6 of 1, half a dozen of the other, but Reich looks like a re-tread, backup, as in not the main guy, just like his pro-career, and this franchise just traded a boatload for this kid. This move might set this team back 5 years. We're 4 games in, and I'm trying to find a pulse, here.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: Bryce Young

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Sun Oct 01, 2023 2:50 pm

The funny thing is everyone originally thought they were going to take Stroud. Probably should have done that…

In related news, part of why I liked Mingo was that I thought Young would be throwing him on-time, pinpoint passes. That hasn’t been the case.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sun Oct 01, 2023 3:01 pm

Turns out that processing the field is significantly hampered when your offensive line is losing matchups consistently.

I didn't like the Reich hire for them. I think they would've been better off finding someone more innovative or progressive in what they want to do. Reich has always struck me as a vanilla OC.

Young looks like a rookie to me, but he simply doesn't have much of a chance with the way their offensive line is performing. Still, today was better for him than pass games, but the Panthers have a lot of work to do.

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Sun Oct 01, 2023 3:15 pm

Reich was a terrible hire. Hard to believe a GM/Owner could have been all-in on that guy. He can't be the coaching mentor slash offensive playcaller that will get Bryce pro-ready.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, MWilliams, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Oct 01, 2023 3:17 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 3:01 pm Turns out that processing the field is significantly hampered when your offensive line is losing matchups consistently.

I didn't like the Reich hire for them. I think they would've been better off finding someone more innovative or progressive in what they want to do. Reich has always struck me as a vanilla OC.

Young looks like a rookie to me, but he simply doesn't have much of a chance with the way their offensive line is performing. Still, today was better for him than pass games, but the Panthers have a lot of work to do.
They weren't the team that had the 1.01 pick. The OL doesn't block before the play starts. He lined up under the guard in SHOTGUN. Seen it a few times before, trying to come up under the C, but C'Mon man. The Colts and Texans both suck, too. He looks lost. I know you were a big proponent of Bryce, but IF he isn't Drew Brees, it's a terrible pick. He looks bad, and his situation looks bad. He's not picking up stuff he should pick up on the pass rush, if he's supposed to be an elite processor.

It's bleak right now. There's no plan, and he's not the type of talent that can overcome that. Few are. Reich was NOT a good hire, agreed. This is dire. His lack of confidence, body language, and the fact he's getting hurt already are extremely concerning.

I think had the staff had any sort of vision, they would have used his injury to keep him out longer and ride Dalton. Instead, they play him, after losing a starting WR in Mingo, too, and make it worse for him.

It's a bad fit, and the amount they paid for him will likely be a disaster for the franchise, but also due to the staff. It's bleak, man.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:03 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 3:17 pm
Cameron Giles wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 3:01 pm Turns out that processing the field is significantly hampered when your offensive line is losing matchups consistently.

They weren't the team that had the 1.01 pick. The OL doesn't block before the play starts. He lined up under the guard in SHOTGUN. Seen it a few times before, trying to come up under the C, but C'Mon man. The Colts and Texans both suck, too. He looks lost. I know you were a big proponent of Bryce, but IF he isn't Drew Brees, it's a terrible pick. He looks bad, and his situation looks bad. He's not picking up stuff he should pick up on the pass rush, if he's supposed to be an elite processor.
It's been 3 games. And we've seen him produce in the toughest conference in college football. And it's not like that Alabama team was loaded last year either. Young does have the upside to be a Brees type of player. You can't fake the type of football IQ he showed there.

I'm not saying Young hasn't looked rough. There are absolutely things he needs to do to help his transition to the NFL. But, as it currently stands the Panthers are getting pressured at a higher rate than the majority of teams, and Young isn't even getting enough time to get it to his first read.

The Texans and Colts are not losing at the LOS as badly as the Panthers have so far. And in Richardson's case, he's extremely mobile, so when pressure comes, he can extend it in a way that Young can not.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:08 pm

MIN's defense is a one of the worst in the NFL.. and before people make too many excuses for the kid it's hard to forget how Dalton looked just one week ago with the same surrounding cast.

It's still early, of course, but Bryce really does look too small to play in the NFL right now. He needs to attack the weight room in the off-season. It's not his height that's the issue it's his svelt frame making every hit look like his last play and is getting him sacked every time a defender is able to graze him with one hand.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:10 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:03 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 3:17 pm

It's been 3 games. And we've seen him produce in the toughest conference in college football. And it's not like that Alabama team was loaded last year either. Young does have the upside to be a Brees type of player. You can't fake the type of football IQ he showed there.

I'm not saying Young hasn't looked rough. There are absolutely things he needs to do to help his transition to the NFL. But, as it currently stands the Panthers are getting pressured at a higher rate than the majority of teams, and Young isn't even getting enough time to get it to his first read.

The Texans and Colts are not losing at the LOS as badly as the Panthers have so far. And in Richardson's case, he's extremely mobile, so when pressure comes, he can extend it in a way that Young can not.
It's looking bad, really bad. Maybe it gets turned around, but I don't see how, any time soon. Glad I didn't draft him anywhere, not seeing the upside in FF at all. At ALL, unless he's Drew Brees. If you took him inside the first 3 picks of a SF league, it's looking really, really bad. You have to understand how value fluctuates. You've already kind of lost, if you did. You could move A Rich or Stroud for Young PLUS in almost any league, right now.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:11 pm

Sriracha wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:08 pm

MIN's defense is a one of the worst in the NFL.. and before people make too many excuses for the kid it's hard to forget how Dalton looked just one week ago with the same surrounding cast.

It's still early, of course, but Bryce really does look too small to play in the NFL right now. He needs to attack the weight room in the off-season. It's not his height that's the issue it's his svelt frame making every hit look like his last play and is getting him sacked every time a defender is able to graze him with one hand.
One of the worst defenses in the NFL vs. One of the worst offensive lines in the NFL. Someone has to win, and today it was Minnesota's defense.

Andy Dalton is a 13-year veteran QB, who's started for the majority of his career. I don't think it means anything that he came in and played better for a game. Dalton had a 95.2 passer rating last year in 14 starts. It's not like he sucks.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:13 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:10 pm
It's looking bad, really bad. Maybe it gets turned around, but I don't see how, any time soon. Glad I didn't draft him anywhere, not seeing the upside in FF at all. At ALL, unless he's Drew Brees. If you took him inside the first 3 picks of a SF league, it's looking really, really bad. You have to understand how value fluctuates. You've already kind of lost, if you did. You could move A Rich or Stroud for Young PLUS in almost any league, right now.
That's an overreaction.. I guarantee you most people that drafted him aren't making that deal. For better or worse most people that drafted him early aren't going to move off their pre draft evaluations through 3 weeks.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:14 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:10 pm
?

Richardson was already going higher than Young in startups before the season started. You couldn't have gotten Richardson for Young straight up at any point. There were 1QB leagues where Richardson was going Top 6-10. Richardson was going higher purely off being better for fantasy.

We've seen highly drafted QBs start out slow and turn things around. QB is not a short-term pop position.

The first four games of Matthew Stafford's career:

3 TDs, 6 INT, ~6 Y/A, 65 passer rtg, 56.8% completion, sacked 10 times

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:25 pm

OK, so that was not always the case, but regardless, you're needing to understand things you won't. Bryce was a massive outlier, he's not looking good, and he's already been hurt once. Yeah, his OL is bad. That's also not good, it was mentioned in the pre-season. He's going to get hurt, unless they protect him more. They didn't. It's a bad situation, and he doesn't look like a player, for a variety of reasons, that can overcome it.

He's is not showing much escapability with his processing, and a soft breeze takes him down. He gets touched, it's a sack. The translation does not look good, from what he looked good at doing, at Bama. Yes, it's 3 games, but the trajectory of everything around him, is pointing straight down.

Even a good D isn't enough to show the massive warning signs that this franchise, and this player, are a complete sinking ship for many years. I don't think he has the talent to overcome all this, right now.

Maybe he will, but it's looking bleak man, no other way to put it.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:31 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:25 pm OK, so that was not always the case, but regardless, you're needing to understand things you won't. Bryce was a massive outlier, he's not looking good, and he's already been hurt once. Yeah, his OL is bad. That's also not good, it was mentioned in the pre-season. He's going to get hurt, unless they protect him more. They didn't. It's a bad situation, and he doesn't look like a player, for a variety of reasons, that can overcome it.

He's is not showing much escapability with his processing, and a soft breeze takes him down. He gets touched, it's a sack. The translation does not look good, from what he looked good at doing, at Bama. Yes, it's 3 games, but the trajectory of everything around him, is pointing straight down.

Even a good D isn't enough to show the massive warning signs that this franchise, and this player, are a complete sinking ship for many years. I don't think he has the talent to overcome all this, right now.

But again...it's been 3 games. Regardless of how bad or good a QB is playing, we don't know anything about how their long-term future is going to play out. QB is not that simple to project.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:35 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:31 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:25 pm OK, so that was not always the case, but regardless, you're needing to understand things you won't. Bryce was a massive outlier, he's not looking good, and he's already been hurt once. Yeah, his OL is bad. That's also not good, it was mentioned in the pre-season. He's going to get hurt, unless they protect him more. They didn't. It's a bad situation, and he doesn't look like a player, for a variety of reasons, that can overcome it.

But again...it's been 3 games. Regardless of how bad or good a QB is playing, we don't know anything about how their long-term future is going to play out. QB is not that simple to project.
OK man. I see no signs of life from him or the sidelines, and that's not good. It seems like they are rudderless, completely. I don't see it changing much, and I think a coaching change happens, and maybe there's turnaround like T Law, but he's not a T Law level prospect. How far in before you're convinced? Another 3 games? I mean, it's a bad scene. IMO, you have to read ahead, and this isn't a good situation. Every D in that division is top notch, too.

IDK, you're saying 3 games into Sanders college season he's a top 5 NFL pick, but now 3 games doesn't mean anything? You're bumping your Josh Downs thread after 2 games. So IDK, it just seems a bit biased here, to me. Are you not seeing any major concerns with this player AND his situation at this point?

Have to tell you, I get it, it's a long game, but it's a slow start, like he tripped out of the blocks, and his shoes are also untied, so to speak. This entire thing on offense looks completely rudderless. He looks lost, and he's not going to gain any confidence with this staff, because I don't think they know what they are doing with him, TBH. I honestly hope I am wrong, but it's bleak right now.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:44 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:35 pm
Cameron Giles wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:31 pm

OK man. I see no signs of life from him or the sidelines, and that's not good. It seems like they are rudderless, completely. I don't see it changing much, and I think a coaching change happens, and maybe there's turnaround like T Law, but he's not a T Law level prospect. How far in before you're convinced? Another 3 games? I mean, it's a bad scene. IMO, you have to read ahead, and this isn't a good situation. Every D in that division is top notch, too.
I think you're in a rush to rule him out, because you simply don't believe in him at all, which is fine. I'm not trying to convince you to like him as a prospect. I'm just saying that QB is the most difficult position to play in the NFL and that there are so many factors that contribute to what these players look like in the long-term. I'm not ruling his career out over 3 or 6 games. It doesn't make any sense to.

Short-term production is not a requisite for long-term QB success. It's great if it happens though.