StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Tyjae Spears is Underrated

Postby StripesOfKC » Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:01 am

Didn't see a thread so I thought it was time

This isn't a standard get hyped thread or "you're missing out on an RB1"

Just a general observation on a guy I didn't exactly love as a prospect

He has been very efficient on the ground through 3 weeks despite facing 2 of the best defenses in football and behind a line that can't block for Derrick Henry---and earned targets at a solid clip in the receiving game

His PFF grades are the 3rd best in the class behind only Bijan and Achane and he is top 15 in broken tackles and yards after contact per touch

But more than anything it cannot be understated that this is a team that has built their entire offensive identity around King Henry---made him the workhorsiest of all workhorses in a league that doesn't have many of them left---for years and here comes a third round rookie who is commanding significant touches from his first game. There are entire drives where they just have Spears in. That's not really precedented for the Titans (and they have spent mid round picks on backs like Hassan Haskins and Darryonton Evans before)

That is not common in the slightest and something that I think represents a rare case of dynasty owners under-reacting to a rookie

Now there are downsides too such as the knee and the fact that Spears next year is tracking to be the RB1 in a Will Levis or Malik Willis led offense (probably--assuming Henry is done in Tennessee after this year which based on their start to the year appears likely)

But considering how reasonable the cost is I still think he is underrated having shown more than guys like Kendre Miller/Zach Charbonnet/Roschon Johnson (none of which I am saying suck--don't get me wrong) and getting basically no buzz

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Re: Tyjae Spears is Underrated

Postby Anteaters » Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:33 am

I was also lukewarm on Spears. He looked someone I wouldn't mind take a chance on, but I didn't think he was necessarily a good bet. I'm with you now. He looks really good and looks like someone fantasy managers should try to acquire. I'd be happy to make a slight overpay now to try to bet on his next 2-3 seasons.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, MWilliams, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:15 am

Love what I've seen from Spears. His college tape was just full of wow plays and he plays with a different type of shift and explosion than a lot of backs in this class. Without the no-ACL thing, I think he would be in very high demand right now. I think a lot of people still look at him as someone they don't want to be left holding the bag with.

I don't know if the production will be there this year. The Titans offensive line has been putrid. But, Henry is getting up there in age and is dealing with turf toe. Spears is a fresher back and could really start to outsnap him at some point

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:00 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:15 am Love what I've seen from Spears. His college tape was just full of wow plays and he plays with a different type of shift and explosion than a lot of backs in this class. Without the no-ACL thing, I think he would be in very high demand right now. I think a lot of people still look at him as someone they don't want to be left holding the bag with.

I don't know if the production will be there this year. The Titans offensive line has been putrid. But, Henry is getting up there in age and is dealing with turf toe. Spears is a fresher back and could really start to outsnap him at some point
I know you know this, but Spears has outsnapped Henry in 2 of 3 games this year. I think they probably have a lot of negative game script, which will fare better for Spears imo

dipANDglide
All Pro
All Pro

Postby dipANDglide » Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:25 pm

Spears looks the part so far. His value could sky rocket if he slots into a 1a role.

lic217
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby lic217 » Sat Sep 30, 2023 4:36 am

My 4th rated rb in rookie drafts behind only Miller, Gibbs and Bijan. His tape was absurd.
Last edited by lic217 on Sat Sep 30, 2023 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

lic217
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby lic217 » Sat Sep 30, 2023 4:37 am

In case you don’t believe me I am sewer squirrels:
https://www44.myfantasyleague.com/2023/ ... 34243&O=17

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:56 pm

I'm waiting to see if he ends up getting more work moving forward, and am interested in what he'd do with more touches. He is an intriguing (and polarizing) player due to his somewhat unique physical circumstances.

I recall a poster who used to be around that was beating the drum early, often, and quite loudly for Spears. Butt he got a little too full of himself.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sat Sep 30, 2023 1:33 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:00 am
Cameron Giles wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:15 am Love what I've seen from Spears. His college tape was just full of wow plays and he plays with a different type of shift and explosion than a lot of backs in this class. Without the no-ACL thing, I think he would be in very high demand right now. I think a lot of people still look at him as someone they don't want to be left holding the bag with.

I know you know this, but Spears has outsnapped Henry in 2 of 3 games this year. I think they probably have a lot of negative game script, which will fare better for Spears imo
Getting left holding the bag on Spears is absolutely where I was/am still at. But for sure, in this early going - he looks like a real guy that will contribute for as long as his knee stays on - which is true of all RB's really, to a degree.

Jigga, to your point there - and I know YOU probably know this already, but... this Derrick Henry slowdown might be kind of real:
Derrick Henry thru 3 weeks:
-0.22 missed tackles forced/att
-2.59 yards created after contact/att
-0.61 yards created before contact/att

Tyjae Spears
-0.53 missed tackles forced/att
-4.2 yards created after contact/att
-1.27 yards created before contact/att
For the big dawg to be the big dawg, he needs to break tackles like he did in 2022 when he lead the league in that stat - and he needs to get as close to "featured back" loading as he can.

It might be curtains on both of those ideas in 2023 - thanks to Spears, D-Henny's age, and that abysmal Titans line. It definitely beahs closer watching.