Jerry Jeudy Official Thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Jerry Jeudy Official Thread

Postby Cameron Giles » Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:55 pm

IZigUZag wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:50 pm
Sutton has drastically improved his route running since college and you've agreed that he's currently more than competent at it right now. Why do you so strongly believe that he won't continue to get better in this area?
I never said that he won't get better. I said that I do not think he'll become an ELITE route runner. I don't see why that's crazy to believe.

I don't see the type of route running that Michael Thomas, DaVante Adams, Stefon Diggs, DeAndre Hopkins, etc. possess in what Sutton does. However, Jeudy is already well advanced in that type of mold when it comes to routes.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:27 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:55 pm
Sutton has drastically improved his route running since college and you've agreed that he's currently more than competent at it right now. Why do you so strongly believe that he won't continue to get better in this area?
I never said that he won't get better. I said that I do not think he'll become an ELITE route runner. I don't see why that's crazy to believe.

I don't see the type of route running that Michael Thomas, DaVante Adams, Stefon Diggs, DeAndre Hopkins, etc. possess in what Sutton does. However, Jeudy is already well advanced in that type of mold when it comes to routes.
How are you determining this ceiling?

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:13 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:53 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:11 pm
Terry McLaurin led the league in contested catch rate, and is also viewed as a good route runner by some. That was what I was referring to earlier, when I commented, it's a skill that is not something you should base your game around, but certainly helps being a good overall receiver. McLaurin, if he becomes an elite separator, could become a top end WR in the league, with his ball skills, the problem of course, is the offense.
I don't disagree. I'm simply noting that it's much easier for a WR to have a path towards becoming a good contested catch player, than it is for a player to master the art of route running and separation.

I'm not banking on Jeudy becoming one of 5 best players in the league at it, but I would not rule out that he can become solid to good at it. Either way, if his route running translates, then the ceiling for him is pretty damn high.
Yep. Agreed.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:18 am

IZigUZag wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:27 pm

Did you watch Jeudy in college? If he's that type of pristine route runner in the NFL, his ceiling is very high. He just turned 21 in April and he's already well advanced in that area. The game is about getting open, and over the last two college seasons, I don't think anyone was better at that than Jeudy and he did it in the toughest conference.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:32 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:18 am

Did you watch Jeudy in college? If he's that type of pristine route runner in the NFL, his ceiling is very high. He just turned 21 in April and he's already well advanced in that area. The game is about getting open, and over the last two college seasons, I don't think anyone was better at that than Jeudy and he did it in the toughest conference.
No doubt Jeudy is ahead of the curb in terms of route running. I don’t see why that means Sutton won’t become an elite route runner, though...

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:41 pm

IZigUZag wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:32 pm

No doubt Jeudy is ahead of the curb in terms of route running. I don’t see why that means Sutton won’t become an elite route runner, though...
Sutton may perfect a few routes but he is way too slow out of his breaks to ever be elite in the route running department. That doesn't mean he won't continue to be a very good fantasy and NFL WR.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:20 pm

Absolute best case scenario is that Sutton becomes something like Mike Evans, but Evans is also on pace to being a HOF'er, so it's not something I'm counting on. Evans isn't an elite route runner, but has improved significantly and is a reliable possession receiver and deep threat.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:36 pm

Ice wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:41 pm
IZigUZag wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:32 pm

Sutton may perfect a few routes but he is way too slow out of his breaks to ever be elite in the route running department. That doesn't mean he won't continue to be a very good fantasy and NFL WR.
Sutton’s got very quick feet, 99th percentile size adjusted agility. I’d check out his film from 2019. Some of his routes were reminiscent of Emmanuel Sanders, who is well regarded as a route technician
Last edited by Sriracha on Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:09 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:20 pm Absolute best case scenario is that Sutton becomes something like Mike Evans, but Evans is also on pace to being a HOF'er, so it's not something I'm counting on. Evans isn't an elite route runner, but has improved significantly and is a reliable possession receiver and deep threat.
Mike Evans? No. These are completely different players. Evans is an amazing deep threat, but has next to no YAC ability.

Sutton is emerging as a deep threat, but is already one of the most elusive WRs after the catch in the NFL.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:58 am

IZigUZag wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:09 pm
Cameron Giles wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:20 pm Absolute best case scenario is that Sutton becomes something like Mike Evans, but Evans is also on pace to being a HOF'er, so it's not something I'm counting on. Evans isn't an elite route runner, but has improved significantly and is a reliable possession receiver and deep threat.
Mike Evans? No. These are completely different players. Evans is an amazing deep threat, but has next to no YAC ability.

Sutton is emerging as a deep threat, but is already one of the most elusive WRs after the catch in the NFL.
YAC last season:

Sutton - 352 in 16 games (4.9 YAC/R)
Evans - 256 in 13 games (3.8 YAC/R)

More or less, if Sutton's career value/perception to an offense and the NFL is Mike Evans, I think that's his best case scenario. I do not think he has the mold of a player who's going to be a high volume route separator. That's never been his game and it doesn't have to be for him to be good.

However, it is Jerry Jeudy's game and if that game translates, he's going to get a lot of targets long-term.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:07 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:58 am

YAC last season:

More or less, if Sutton's career value/perception to an offense and the NFL is Mike Evans, I think that's his best case scenario. I do not think he has the mold of a player who's going to be a high volume route separator. That's never been his game and it doesn't have to be for him to be good.

However, it is Jerry Jeudy's game and if that game translates, he's going to get a lot of targets long-term.
:thumbup:

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:48 am

Ice wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:07 pm
Cameron Giles wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:58 am

YAC last season:

:thumbup:
To put these numbers in perspective:

350 YAC yards places him as WR14 in this area in 2019.
His 4.9 YAC/R placed him top 20 among WRs.
He led all NFL WRs in broken tackles (on receptions) with 12 (2nd highest was Hopkins with 9)

Considering Sutton also led the NFL in his teams air yard percentage (indicating he primarily was a deep threat) these numbers are fantastic.

https://twitter.com/APfeifer24/status/1 ... 3080026113

Evans by comparison placed 47th among WRs in YAC/R and this is one of the better YAC numbers in his career.
https://www.pff.com/news/pro-bucs-wr-mi ... -the-catch

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:36 am

Wouldn’t argue 94 total yards in 3 additional games as a real solid metric if we are going to really put it in perspective.

No one is Arguing Sutton isn’t good or well utilized in their system.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:45 am

Ice wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:36 am Wouldn’t argue 94 total yards in 3 additional games as a real solid metric if we are going to really put it in perspective.

No one is Arguing Sutton isn’t good or well utilized in their system.
Even though Evans played in 3 less games he only had 6 less targets.. But that's also why I didn't quote his raw numbers, and just spoke about his efficiency.

He was even worse in the YAC department in 2018 where he posted 2 YAC/R.

Evans is just not good at YAC, which is completely fine given his skillset... but comparing him to Sutton doesn't make much sense to me.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:59 am

You’re arguing YAC when others are discussing basic route tree skill sets IMO.

Sutton’s skill set is different than Jeudy. Nothing wrong if you think Sutton is better. He could be.

Ultimately, I think Jeudy will be the better fantasy play in PPR due to his diversity.